What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

I think most Austinites are at that point.  Where if DPS can assist with property crimes, homeless harassing people, assaults, drug/human trafficking, rape, etc.  I think most of us are fine with that.  What we don't need is just over-glorified police giving out moving violations and busting people for a dime bag of weed.  

But watching this new oversight expansion by the citizens/council deal with APD and now the oversight layer of DPS since they have to operate under some of the same code?  Take that spiderman meme, drop a hit of acid, and go into a sensory deprivation tank and that will make more sense than what we're about to see unfold.

I'm guessing in the end it works perfectly as the three parties broker a cooperative deal led by Fitlump.  And she parlays that into the Governorship.  

14 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I think most Austinites are at that point.  Where if DPS can assist with property crimes, homeless harassing people, assaults, drug/human trafficking, rape, etc.  I think most of us are fine with that.  What we don't need is just over-glorified police giving out moving violations and busting people for a dime bag of weed.  

But watching this new oversight expansion by the citizens/council deal with APD and now the oversight layer of DPS since they have to operate under some of the same code?  Take that spiderman meme, drop a hit of acid, and go into a sensory deprivation tank and that will make more sense than what we're about to see unfold.

I'm guessing in the end it works perfectly as the three parties broker a cooperative deal led by Fitlump.  And she parlays that into the Governorship.  

I said it years ago. Pull over every motherfucker with a paper license plate and reduce the crime rate in half. Sounds like it's working.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 7

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I said it years ago. Pull over every motherfucker with a paper license plate and reduce the crime rate in half. Sounds like it's working.

My neighbor is still rocking paper plates that expired in January of 2022, and he's got them upside down. 

~$500mm budget plus bond money still in the tens and tens of millions (never mind debt service $) and all the lawsuit settlements on top of that which come out a separate revenue stream totaling tens and tens of millions more.  Maybe we could just take a quick look at some of their processes, just for grins 'n giggles?.  NAH!

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

This here.  Its not too hard to do that instead of just sitting on the side of the road and issuing tickets.  But, yeah, revenue and such.  

Oh, and this is such an ass-kicking... no, we don't want the inmates running the asylum.

Proposition A, which would expand oversight, cruised to victory Saturday: 79% of voters supported the measure, according to unofficial voting numbers.

Proposition B, which would curtail citizen oversight, was voted down by 80% of voters.

I'm going to follow this to see if it goes anywhere. Calling out thieves, allegedly, in a public forum has to end well, right?

image.png.e191ffc597d710d02577654830378b5c.png

According to Travis CAD, 1046 Broadview St is owned by SEGUIN WESLEY & LEO SEGUIN.

Edit: Their mailing addy is in San Marcos so they may be leasing out.

Edited by crash_davis

16 hours ago, Mittens said:

That dude was an absolute legend we were sitting on the patio at Barton Springs Saloon last night when he first showed up DPS tried to PIT maneuver him right in front of us as he was headed north on S Lamar the maneuver pushed the back of the truck over the median but failed as it left him pointed right at Barton Springs so he just drove off towards Mopac.  From there he must have headed south on Mopac and then gotten back over to S Lamar because he came back to BSS and said hello

Here is the video of him headed northbound on S Lamar

As we were sitting there laughing about how 10+ APD, DPS, & unmarked cars could not apprehend a slow moving turn signal using truck who stopped at lights an APD officer posts up in front of us at BSS and starts deploying spike strips. Of course the cop deploys them on the other side of Barton Springs to which the driver calmly and predictably turns on his turn signal and turns right thus evading the spike strips.

Link: https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/man-rammed-police-vehicle-during-law-enforcement-chase-in-south-austin-apd-says/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The APD should shut the fuck up and do their job.  The citizens here are young, entitled morons and vote accordingly, but voters in every city are one flavor of stupid or another.  It's no excuse.   The local government is a complete clown show, unfortunately.

Abbot and co. have worked for years to figure out a way around home-rule cities, and Austin is their primary target.  They've chipped away for quite a while now, and I fully expect they'll force control of Austin one way or another in the not-too-distant future.  Austin has not done itself any favors with the complete shit show it has devolved into.

If a takeover somehow magically results in funding for our schools staying where we fucking pay them, I might even begrudgingly support it.  I'm tired of my kids not having available drinking water while suburban kids run around in palaces that we subsidize for them.  AISD was a hairs breadth away from being taken over right before the pandemic and got a hall pass due to the shit show of the last few years.  It's hard to imagine anything got better in that time (we all know it has gotten worse).  So we're likely a year or two away from the state in charge of the schools, and after this latest turn of events I'm sure they're figuring out how to take over APD.   There won't be much left for the city to do but continue to bend us over for water and electric rates while delivering terrible service and build more bike lanes for those two or three old guys to use every now and then.

16 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

That dude was an absolute legend we were sitting on the patio at Barton Springs Saloon last night when he first showed up DPS tried to PIT maneuver him right in front of us as he was headed north on S Lamar the maneuver pushed the back of the truck over the median but failed as it left him pointed right at Barton Springs so he just drove off towards Mopac.  From there he must have headed south on Mopac and then gotten back over to S Lamar because he came back to BSS and said hello

Here is the video of him headed northbound on S Lamar

As we were sitting there laughing about how 10+ APD, DPS, & unmarked cars could not apprehend a slow moving turn signal using truck who stopped at lights an APD officer posts up in front of us at BSS and starts deploying spike strips. Of course the cop deploys them on the other side of Barton Springs to which the driver calmly and predictably turns on his turn signal and turns right thus evading the spike strips.

Link: https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/man-rammed-police-vehicle-during-law-enforcement-chase-in-south-austin-apd-says/

Can you put on some music next time, plz?

• 3 weeks later...

APD looking for a suspect involved in an aggravated assault at the Domain

by: Sam Stark

Posted: May 26, 2023 / 05:33 PM CDT

Updated: May 26, 2023 / 05:33 PM CDT

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin Police Department needs the public’s help finding Shawn Baptista, 43, who has been arrested twice for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon – both incidents occurring at or near the Domain Shopping Center in North Austin. 

On April 2, APD arrested Baptista for an aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for allegedly using a knife during an assault in the Domain Shopping Center area. On April 6, Baptista was released from custody on a $12,000 bond, per APD.

Then, on April 12, Austin detectives say Baptista committed another aggravated assault. This time, Baptista reportedly threatened someone with a gun, per APD.

Three days later, on April 15, Baptista was at the Domain again, where people observed him playing loud, vulgar music inside a department store, per APD. A department store employee asked Baptista to lower the music volume, which made him upset. An employee then asked Baptista to leave the store. 

The following day, on April 16, Baptista returned to the store with a machete, “and expressed that he would cut someone’s head off for messing with him,” the police report read.

APD arrested Baptista for terroristic charges following this event, and he was released from custody 11 days later on a $10,000 bond, APD said. 

• Rage+1 1

21 hours ago, Bevo said:

APD looking for a suspect involved in an aggravated assault at the Domain

by: Sam Stark

Posted: May 26, 2023 / 05:33 PM CDT

Updated: May 26, 2023 / 05:33 PM CDT

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin Police Department needs the public’s help finding Shawn Baptista, 43, who has been arrested twice for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon – both incidents occurring at or near the Domain Shopping Center in North Austin. 

On April 2, APD arrested Baptista for an aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for allegedly using a knife during an assault in the Domain Shopping Center area. On April 6, Baptista was released from custody on a $12,000 bond, per APD.

Then, on April 12, Austin detectives say Baptista committed another aggravated assault. This time, Baptista reportedly threatened someone with a gun, per APD.

Three days later, on April 15, Baptista was at the Domain again, where people observed him playing loud, vulgar music inside a department store, per APD. A department store employee asked Baptista to lower the music volume, which made him upset. An employee then asked Baptista to leave the store. 

The following day, on April 16, Baptista returned to the store with a machete, “and expressed that he would cut someone’s head off for messing with him,” the police report read.

APD arrested Baptista for terroristic charges following this event, and he was released from custody 11 days later on a $10,000 bond, APD said. 

I'd be OK with APD shooting first and asking questions later with this chucklefuck. 

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/austin-firefighter-stabbed-responding/269-5b8484b5-4575-4bc6-a6e8-94445b7fbead

An Austin firefighter was stabbed early Monday morning while putting out multiple fires, the Austin Fire Department (AFD) confirmed.

On Monday morning, the department was putting out multiple fires along Interstate 35, near the Riverside Drive exit. While firefighters were putting out the fires, a person approached them and became aggressive, according to AFD.

The person then stabbed one of the firefighters. The firefighter was taken to a hospital, but the extent of their injuries is unknown.

The suspect was taken into custody.

A portion of I-35 was closed near the Riverside Drive exit while investigators remained on the scene, but the southbound lanes were reopened as of 5:45 a.m. Monday.
—————

No point in starting this debate bc if you say a damn thing about our beloved “homeless” population you are an uncaring unfeeling asshole who doesn’t want to help them. I’m a hardass so I round them up: to mental health clinics and get them professional help, or drug rehab and counseling, or put them in villages built on the city outskirts. I’m NOT letting you live in camps downtown or near people’s houses. You aren’t shooting up and drugging out all day and shitting on the sidewalk and laying there passed out and threatening a variety of people just trying to go about their day downtown. You are EITHER getting a variety of services designed to HELP you or you are getting bused the fuck out of here. Yes, I know! 

I am an awful person. Don’t care. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/austin-firefighter-stabbed-responding/269-5b8484b5-4575-4bc6-a6e8-94445b7fbead

An Austin firefighter was stabbed early Monday morning while putting out multiple fires, the Austin Fire Department (AFD) confirmed.

On Monday morning, the department was putting out multiple fires along Interstate 35, near the Riverside Drive exit. While firefighters were putting out the fires, a person approached them and became aggressive, according to AFD.

The person then stabbed one of the firefighters. The firefighter was taken to a hospital, but the extent of their injuries is unknown.

A portion of I-35 was closed near the Riverside Drive exit while investigators remained on the scene, but the southbound lanes were reopened as of 5:45 a.m. Monday.
—————

No point in starting this debate bc if you say a damn thing about our beloved “homeless” population you are an uncaring unfeeling asshole who doesn’t want to help them. I’m a hardass so I round them up: to mental health clinics and get them professional help, or drug rehab and counseling, or put them in villages built on the city outskirts. I’m NOT letting you live in camps downtown or near people’s houses. You aren’t shooting up and drugging out all day and shitting on the sidewalk and laying there passed out and threatening a variety of people just trying to go about their day downtown. You are EITHER getting a variety of services designed to HELP you or you are getting bused the fuck out of here. Yes, I know! 

Mental health, drug rehab, comprehensive counseling you say? That all sounds great, but you do realize what country you live in, right? Those things don't exist except for the wealthy. There's a reason a lot of those people, many of them veterans who served our country, are on the streets.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

Austin has spent over $150 million on population of about 5000 homeless people. 

Some people are definitely getting rich to not solve the problem. 

You're right. Owners of rundown hotels have gotten rich. How much of that money has been spent on comprehensive mental health services including drug rehab for those that need it?

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

There was a shit head checking doors at my complex last night around 3 am. I was woke by car alarms chirping. 

Called 911... on hold for 15 minutes. I hang up to go scare him off. Well, Luna scared him off. I just supervised.

No call back from 911. 

Yeah but bro. hear me out bro. you need to give up your right to own a dangerous fully semi automatic gun and be completely dependent on APD to protect you

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

—————

All he did was stab a fire fighter? $7,000 bond. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, B00M said:

Yeah but bro. hear me out bro. you need to give up your right to own a dangerous fully semi automatic gun and be completely dependent on APD to protect you

Hahaha. I have a Mossberg Shockwave loaded with 0/0 if they ever try to get inside. 

If someone still wants to break in while the dog makes it abundantly clear what happens of they do, then I've probably got a PCP addled crazy on my hands.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, B00M said:

How dare you bring common sense arguments to the denizens of this derelict city.

Of course if you shoot the home invader our numbnuts DA will throw the book at you while being a revolving door for future home invaders. Its almost as if its by design......

18 minutes ago, royiv said:

Mental health, drug rehab, comprehensive counseling you say? That all sounds great, but you do realize what country you live in, right? Those things don't exist except for the wealthy. There's a reason a lot of those people, many of them veterans who served our country, are on the streets.

I also quit smoking cigarettes about ten days ago so I am a little edgy man. But yes, there are ways to offer all that shit and pay teachers more and solve even more issues but politicians on both sides get fat and rich, special interest groups and community leaders and other individuals profit…it’s why nothing gets done. People need these issues to consistently raise money and get more people elected. They need to beat that drum. Rather than you know coming together and helping people. Shit like that. Term limits man. (Basically that’s my mantra and I’m sticking to it.) I would love it if we would follow other successful cities (there are wonderful successful BLUEPRINTS for helping the homeless and housing them and building communities and giving them medical and mental care and therapy and counseling and drug rehab and job help) I have posted as much on other homeless people threads. You follow what works not Seattle, SF and Portland. They aren’t doing what works. You do what works. And letting people shoot up and drink and drug downtown has been proven not to work and if they won’t accept help you bus their asses out of dodge. 

• Hook 'Em 3

53 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

The shells are actually designed for home defense with a low yield powder count and soft lead shot. Not supposed to go through a couple layers of sheet rock, just soft human flesh.

What shells? I thought you meant 00 buckshot. 

13 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Shotgun shells. Am I missing something or just being fucked with? I can't tell any more.

I mean a cursory Google search told me that 00 has pretty significant penetration. Probably not past x number of yards, though. 

I meant "what shotgun shells"

Edited by ztejas

55 minutes ago, South Austin said:

image.gif

don't worry though, Nicole's still sniffing glue.  

csb/ wife just got an alarming text message.  She was on the area trading group where moms post free stuff their kids have outgrown.  So we need an extra booster seat for oldest that's easy to travel with this summer instead of her heavier regular one.  Lady posts one, not too far from us, so I'm going to pick it up soon.  Woman texts photo of their front porch and address so I know which one because quote, "Make sure your husband gets the right house the first time, we have a neighbor who I know is just waiting at his window for a porch robber to target." 

So it's a win/win for Surly.  Either I come home a hero and make more funny Taliban Office Space posts, or you guys never have to hear from my ass again.  

11 hours ago, royiv said:

I'm willing to bet that out of the hundreds camping out in the creek beds around my neighborhood, maybe two of them are veterans, if that many. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm willing to bet that out of the hundreds camping out in the creek beds around my neighborhood, maybe two of them are veterans, if that many. 

but half of them would say they were....and the sad thing thing is, a bunch of idiots would believe them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

So we shouldn't fund mental health programs? How's that been working out? 

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

So we shouldn't fund mental health programs? How's that been working out? 

I'd didn't say that, but go ahead. The bleeding hearts think it's better to let them deal with their problems on their own than forcibly push them to mental health services.