What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

On 3/25/2023 at 11:45 PM, dcar00 said:

Casar, Adler,  and their ilk put the homeless thing on steroids.  they were called bums at one time and cities/towns would make it painful for them to stay in one place...move them along to another town, where that town, then moves them along, to another town.  maybe a percentage of them clean up and figure a way out(usually through some type local religious or secular charity).

once you put out the welcome mat of "come on in and stay, you can help us keep Austin weird!" they overwhelm the area and no amount of hotel purchasing will fix it.

the horse is out of the barn unless someone actually decides it is going to be a huge pain in the ass to be homeless in Austin, especially if it is apparent you don't want to even try to help yourself.

Its already a huge pain in the ass to be homeless you idiot.

On 3/24/2023 at 7:04 AM, Armybrat said:

Overnight incident that has Adler’s Austin all over it -

Man accosts woman riding scooter at 12:30AM under I-35 bridge, asks for sex, she refuses, he “jaws” her several times (breaking her jaw), rapes her, gets caught near the scene, she IDs him, he admits it all, he describes the crime, bloody evidence found at scene. 
Media headlines says: “Allegedly”. 
WTF? There ain’t any “allegedly” about it. 

edited to add: In an unrelated incident, another fatal shooting took place overnight in Southeast Austin. Murder #21 so far this year? 
Nothing to see here.

Another school shooting with 3 children killed, nothing to see there.

If you can get up to 80 on Mopac, buy yourself a lottery ticket 'cause you're the luckiest person in Austin.  

That fucking 'officer shortage' mantra though is so fucking misleading.  Half the city blames 'Defund the Police' and the other half doesn't want a police force. 

Here's the fucking reality.  Their budget is just fine.  Recruiting and training are just fine.  Obviously all of that could be better, but it's nothing like the shitshow both sides paint it out to be.  

But we are short on officers for a city of our size.  BECAUSE IT'S TOO FUCKING EXPENSIVE TO LIVE HERE!

You feel the calling for the Blue?  Starting salary $60k plus benefits.  You got a young wife and new baby at home.  Guess what, after your shift, you get to drive to Seguin or Belton because the City of Austin has priced you out.  That's fun right, driving an hour after a long shift just to get home to sleep and do it all over again tomorrow?  JFC with this defund the police/back the blue back and forth bullshit.  Our cost of living makes it so that nurses, teachers, and cops can't fucking live anywhere near their place of work while the rest of us blather on and on about the shortages.  The country has plenty of nurses, teachers, and cops.  They just (wisely) choose to live in places they can actually have a fucking life in.  

But hey, maybe more bond packages from Council will help lower the cost of living, right?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

APD is not alone on having issues hiring police officers. Most PDs have the same issue. I don't know how to resolve the nationwide shortage, but put me in the we need more police officers category. Also put me in the we need more accountability category. Maybe the 2nd is just one of the reasons contributing to the 1st. 

I'm for DPS helping patrol Austin. We need the help. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Oh we definitely need the help, I was just commenting on one of the (if not most) major underlying causes behind the shortage.  It is not due to "Defunding"

To your other point about accountability, that is extremely likely to be another major factor in why recruiting numbers are down overall.  It's no longer the free-for-all it once was with zero oversight or video evidence.  Lt. Frank Drebin of Police Squad forecasted this literally decades ago, "Just think...the next time I shoot somebody, I could be arrested"  

• Like 1

Is my memory wrong, I thought they halted and canceled multiple cadet classes and many of those officers went elsewhere? When you already have a shortage (due to the cost of living) then you cancel/defer hiring for a time this is the only logical outcome. So “defunding the police” is/was part of the problem, even though it was only for a short time.

If I’m not remembering correctly then feel free to correct me and call me an idiot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Oh we definitely need the help, I was just commenting on one of the (if not most) major underlying causes behind the shortage.  It is not due to "Defunding"

It's multi-tiered. It's expensive to live here.  Above and beyond, the shortage was and is due to cancelled cadet classes, more cops retiring than expected and difficulty recruiting to this city. Those three are a recipe for a police shortage. The budget is fine now but you can't just catch up with the necessary headcount just like that. 

It's a shit show here and both the Austin Police Association and the city government contribute to it. 

At the end of the day you have to an idiot to be cop. You have to be an exponential idiot be a cop in Austin. 

Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Fair points, all.  The cancelled cadet classes happened in thousands of municipalities though.  I still maintain that the recruiting challenge is the cost of living.  I'm helping to greenlight new capital improvement projects for APD every quarter it seems.  Lots of "bluer" urban areas have the challenge of attracting police.  We're not unique in that.  But they actually have decent facilities (downtown station notwithstanding), a robust pipeline of new ones coming, benefits, a great retirement plan investment team, decent climate, and something they don't talk about publicly which they fucking love---there is no big city like Austin that has so many opportunities for overtime/private contract shifts.  They fucking love working games, festivals, concerts, conferences, etc.  And boy do we have a ton of them.  Extra pay, easy shift, lots of eye candy, that's a huge reason these folks stick around, they just don't advertise it publicly.  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I'm not a LEO, but would it be a hard decision to view one of those kind of jobs in Lakeway, Georgetown, or Liberty Hill as more desirable than one in Austin?

Having to apprehend a buzzed soccer Mom versus a meth-addled homeless Hobo.  Not a close call.

so which one gave you the handy to stay outta trouble? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

If you can get up to 80 on Mopac, buy yourself a lottery ticket 'cause you're the luckiest person in Austin.  

That fucking 'officer shortage' mantra though is so fucking misleading.  Half the city blames 'Defund the Police' and the other half doesn't want a police force. 

Here's the fucking reality.  Their budget is just fine.  Recruiting and training are just fine.  Obviously all of that could be better, but it's nothing like the shitshow both sides paint it out to be.  

But we are short on officers for a city of our size.  BECAUSE IT'S TOO FUCKING EXPENSIVE TO LIVE HERE!

You feel the calling for the Blue?  Starting salary $60k plus benefits.  You got a young wife and new baby at home.  Guess what, after your shift, you get to drive to Seguin or Belton because the City of Austin has priced you out.  That's fun right, driving an hour after a long shift just to get home to sleep and do it all over again tomorrow?  JFC with this defund the police/back the blue back and forth bullshit.  Our cost of living makes it so that nurses, teachers, and cops can't fucking live anywhere near their place of work while the rest of us blather on and on about the shortages.  The country has plenty of nurses, teachers, and cops.  They just (wisely) choose to live in places they can actually have a fucking life in.  

But hey, maybe more bond packages from Council will help lower the cost of living, right?  

maybe the cops can have work from home for 2 days a week

• Haha 2

This was coming. People want to break up Austin Energy and open up the market to deregulation. Cue the competition is good folks until you compare rates against deregulated markets. 

https://www.kut.org/energy-environment/2023-04-04/lawmakers-again-target-austin-energy-but-what-would-that-mean-for-you-and-me

During that same time, Troxclair and other conservative lawmakers drafted and filed a slew of bills targeting the city’s publicly owned utility — and public power in Texas more generally.

The legislative proposals would do everything from reorganize the management structure of Austin Energy to potentially dismantle the utility by forcing it to sell off parts of its publicly owned infrastructure.

The bills' sponsors have framed their legislation as a way to improve service in the aftermath of the mass power outage. But many utility experts warn the opposite would happen. They say the proposals are part of a longstanding push to weaken and ultimately privatize public power in Texas, which would lead to higher bills and less responsive service.

Austin Energy recently raised its electric rates. But the utility says its customers still pay, on average, 17 to 34% less per kilowatt hour of energy than customers in parts of Texas with retail electric deregulation.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

This was coming. People want to break up Austin Energy and open up the market to deregulation. Cue the competition is good folks until you compare rates against deregulated markets. 

https://www.kut.org/energy-environment/2023-04-04/lawmakers-again-target-austin-energy-but-what-would-that-mean-for-you-and-me

During that same time, Troxclair and other conservative lawmakers drafted and filed a slew of bills targeting the city’s publicly owned utility — and public power in Texas more generally.

The legislative proposals would do everything from reorganize the management structure of Austin Energy to potentially dismantle the utility by forcing it to sell off parts of its publicly owned infrastructure.

The bills' sponsors have framed their legislation as a way to improve service in the aftermath of the mass power outage. But many utility experts warn the opposite would happen. They say the proposals are part of a longstanding push to weaken and ultimately privatize public power in Texas, which would lead to higher bills and less responsive service.

Austin Energy recently raised its electric rates. But the utility says its customers still pay, on average, 17 to 34% less per kilowatt hour of energy than customers in parts of Texas with retail electric deregulation.

They love to spout and parrot that rate bullshit every chance they get but they never want to talk about the "Power Supply Adjustment" or  the massive customer charge that is added to every bill that pushes AE customers monthly bills to some of the most expensive in the fucking state. And they just raised that a few months ago and are going to raise it again in less than a year, on top of the recent rate increases. 

Lying sacks of fuck.

With all of that said, the only entity that I think could run AE worse would be the fucking state.

Edited by Orange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

So the government is coming for our guns?  I fucking knew it!

Also, surely with that kind of seizure in such a short time, they can certainly spare a gram or two for a friend who's asking.  In case of any exciting political news this month.

23 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

fucking serious matter!!!

shtk6gd6ezra1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

I had no idea that Capitol sold to Reyes. Went and looked it up and the transaction occurred last year. I wonder much they paid?

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I saw this the other day. Meant to post it here. 

20230402_140536.thumb.jpg.feb849f22e91c4a4b7534e6c755bdbab.jpg

WTF is Joe Rogan going to do?

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

I had no idea that Capitol sold to Reyes. Went and looked it up and the transaction occurred last year. I wonder much they paid?

WTF is Joe Rogan going to do?

I guess spend 3 stoned hours talking to Jim Breuer about cancel commerce?  

• Haha 1

Houston sending their lowlifes to Austin area to thieve people.

The driver suspect was shot in the mouth. The other suspect took a Lyft from Cedar Park back to Houston. Paid all that money and still got arrested.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/cedar-park/cedar-park-police-bank-jugging-victim-went-after-shot-suspect/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Cedar Park police said a man who had money stolen in a “jugging” situation took it upon himself to follow the suspect and it led to a shooting.

Jugging, according to previous KXAN reporting, happens when a suspect watches a victim withdraw money, then follows them to another location and steals it from them.

What is ‘jugging’? Austin police see uptick in cases

That’s what Cedar Park police said happened Monday, when a man withdrew cash from a bank near Ranch to Market Road 1431 and U.S. Highway 183, then went to a gas station in Lago Vista, where he said someone broke his car window while he was inside.

Police got a call from a man at 4:10 p.m., telling them he was “following a car who had just stolen money from him and was trying to stop the car.” At that time, he was near South Lakeline Boulevard and Cypress Creek Road.

Police said the man pulled in front of the car he believed the suspects were driving, saw they had a gun, and pulled out his own gun and fired. It hit the driver of the suspect car in the mouth, police said. The man fired again, and the other car drove off.

Police said soon after, a man who had been shot showed up at a nearby hospital. Around 5:30 p.m., police tweeted about “a disturbance where possible shots were fired,” and asked people to be on the lookout for a man in his early 20s last seen walking in the area. Police believe the passenger in the car walked away, then grabbed a Lyft to Houston.

“The Houston Violent Crimes Task Force arranged for a takedown of the Lyft vehicle in Houston and were able to stop, identify, and detain the other male suspect and recover the money,” Cedar Park police wrote in a release.

Police have not released the identities of anyone involved in the case and said it was still being investigated.