Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

On 8/8/2023 at 4:00 AM, seven said:

Personal opinion, but I think ksu, Tcu and Utah will be at top most years with the other schools having normal 5 year up/down swings.

TCU based on what, having never won a Big 12 title? They didn't win one last year and you can forget the "title" from 2013 or 2014. They finished with the same record as ISU or baylor or whomever it was that year but lost to that team That is some aggy type shit calling oneself a champ in that situation. Plus the big 12 fixed that problem shortly after by changing the tie break rules.

Utah is a 'wait and see'. They won a couple conference titles in the weakest conference in the country. We'll see how that turns out when they move over.

KSU. Not sure what to think about these guys. Was last year the peak of the 5 year up swing? Or, is that coach really the guy.

I'm not sure who will be the consistently best teams.  I think close to all of them will have the 5 year up/down swings as none of the 16 teams are head and shoulders above anyone else in regards to facilities or money. Don't count OSU out. Gundy seems to consistently be in the top half.

Edited by redswingline

1 minute ago, redswingline said:

TCU based on what, having never won a Big 12 title? They didn't win one last year and you can forget the "title" from 2013 or 2014. They finished with the same record as ISU or baylor or whomever it was that year but lost to that team That is some aggy type shit calling oneself a champ in that situation. Plus the big 12 fixed that problem shortly after by changing the tie break rules.

Utah is a 'wait and see'. They won a couple conference titles in the weakest conference in the country. We'll see how that turns out when they move over.

KSU. Not sure what to think about these guys. Was last year the peak of the 5 year up swing? Or, is that coach really the guy.

I'm not sure who will be the consistently best teams.  I think close to all of them will have the 5 year up/down swings as none of the 16 teams are head and shoulders above anyone else in regards to facilities or money. Don't count OSU out. Gundy seems to consistently be in the top half.

He's basing it on the 3 best teams from last season. Because he's a dipshit. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Things I liked in Week 1 :

- Coug High alternate uniforms were clean. Shut it down, change color scheme to Oilers. 
- Coug High denting Traylor’s reputation/surly wet dream. Also kills off a significant amount of surly doom and gloom fan fiction of Traylor going to aggy and somehow doing something that only FedEx boxes could accomplish against Texas. 
- Tech face planting covered well in numerous surly threads. 
- Four Corners playing well. Again, Utah is a problem as long as Whittingham feels like putting in a solid 8 hours a day. 
- A lot of meh, but the SEC won’t continue at their pace and neither will the PAC. It’s Week 1.

FS1 is where ratings go to die. I know several OSU fans who said they'd either record, skip, or only watch the first half, because of the late kickoff. I guess we'll just need to adjust. I'm hoping with the new teams that no central time zone team has to endure more than one late kickoff in any given season. I think last week's CU-TCU game also had like 8M viewers. I know it was Prime hype, TCU coming off last year's run, and not much competition for competitive games being week one, but you could cut that in half and it still super impressive. As long as conference matchups are entertaining, ratings will be good enough to justify the TV contract. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Cross posting because... whoo boy. 1 million viewers for 3 of the new 4 schools COMBINED. El Assico did a nice number though, tip of the cap. 

Houston vs Rice got 1/8th of the viewers as Maryland versus Charlotte. Ok State vs Arizona State was surprisingly low. 

image.thumb.png.fd315fd9962a743d1f776e5c90c80b57.png

I know it’s the ACC’s TV deal with Raycom but lol at Cincy/Pitt on The CW.

52 minutes ago, 'stache said:

FS1 is where ratings go to die. I know several OSU fans who said they'd either record, skip, or only watch the first half, because of the late kickoff. I guess we'll just need to adjust. I'm hoping with the new teams that no central time zone team has to endure more than one late kickoff in any given season. I think last week's CU-TCU game also had like 8M viewers. I know it was Prime hype, TCU coming off last year's run, and not much competition for competitive games being week one, but you could cut that in half and it still super impressive. As long as conference matchups are entertaining, ratings will be good enough to justify the TV contract. 

Copium

Cross posting because... whoo boy. 1 million viewers for 3 of the new 4 schools COMBINED. El Assico did a nice number though, tip of the cap. 
Houston vs Rice got 1/8th of the viewers as Maryland versus Charlotte. Ok State vs Arizona State was surprisingly low. 

Poooraggy. At least only half as many people saw them get their shit pushed in by the cocaine cowboys.

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Ok State vs Arizona State was surprisingly low. 

Actually I thought getting ~700k viewers on FS1 in the 9:30 CT window was a pretty solid result.

FS1 typically has the lowest ratings across the board.

Note that our game had more than double the viewers of the next closest game on FS1.

Edited by oSuJeff97

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Agree, the Big 12 will be fine.

Games by conference week 1&2: >2million/>1million

New Big 12(16): 6/3 (inflated a bit due to Colorado, but credit where credit is due)
New ACC (17): 7/1 (note the ACC has already held 2 conference games included in these numbers)
New SEC (16): 8/2
New B1G (18): 9/5 (note the B1G has already held 3 conference games included in these numbers)

Noted conference games because they rank higher than a majority of OOC games.

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

The nation has caught on to the combo of bad play and intensity that is El Assico.  Sometimes I wish we played it at the end of the year because Campbell teams generally get better as the season progresses, but at the same time we get a hell of lot more attention playing it in Week 2 when the other games suck and everyone has hope.

• Like 1

With this unprecedented reshuffling, I wonder who is gonna go first with announcing their conference schedule for 2024?  Given that some network families have more than one conference under their purview.  it may not be SEC goes 1st and everybody else falls in line around it.  But by November, and certainly December...the domino effect should begin.  These "new" leagues with lotsa new faces and lotsa departures will want to showcase certain matchups more than ever.  Can't have a logjam that leaves these massive new TV contracts holding their dicks.  

• 2 weeks later...

It’s becoming clear that the Big XII contract was a payoff to let Texas and OU go free. They have been slapping each other on the back, congratulating themselves on how they don’t need Texas. Reality will hit hard on the next media contract.

Oh, well, they survived and the PAC didn’t. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, statsman said:

It’s becoming clear that the Big XII contract was a payoff to let Texas and OU go free. They have been slapping each other on the back, congratulating themselves on how they don’t need Texas. Reality will hit hard on the next media contract.

Oh, well, they survived and the PAC didn’t. 

The new Big 12 deal was for six years and $2.3B.  How much of that do you believe is a payoff?

• Hook 'Em 1

I have no idea. When the Texit was announced, they feared they would get low to mid 20s per school, per year. Instead, they got low 30s. 

My guess would be that their real value is around mid to high 20s per school, per year? That would be comparable to the ACC ( which is probably worth more)?

It was a good deal for them. They survived until the next contract

It’s out there that ESPN and Fox viewed the Big 12 sans OU/UT and the Pac 12 as essentially the same value, but were only giving one of them a contract. The Big 12 had time zone geography and competent leadership on their side, and that’s why they won out. Yormark moved quick, and they liked having Eastern, Central, and Mountain options.

Statsman has an axe to grind against us leftovers

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It’s out there that ESPN and Fox viewed the Big 12 sans OU/UT and the Pac 12 as essentially the same value, but were only giving one of them a contract. The Big 12 had time zone geography and competent leadership on their side, and that’s why they won out. Yormark moved quick, and they liked having Eastern, Central, and Mountain options.

Statsman has an axe to grind against us leftovers

I really don’t have an axe to grind. I just don’t feel obligated to participate in the back slapping. 

It doesn’t matter what I think. What matters is the ratings that ISU/BYU pull in on FS1 when Texas/Arkansas are on ESPN at the same time. The games will be played and they will tell the story. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, statsman said:

I really don’t have an axe to grind. I just don’t feel obligated to participate in the back slapping. 

It doesn’t matter what I think. What matters is the ratings that ISU/BYU pull in on FS1 when Texas/Arkansas are on ESPN at the same time. The games will be played and they will tell the story. 

While I don't disagree with your premise on some level, I still think the thirst for live sports inventory will only increase over the next 4+ years. Inside of that, the popularity of CFB itself is also growing. The SEC and B1G will undoubtedly dwarf the Big 12 in ratings, and the Big 12 could still wind up with a raise above inflation in the next contract turn anyway. For that matter, same is true for the G6 conferences as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There are probably 50 posts from you about how the new Big 12 wasn’t really worth what they got and it was a bribe, etc. Not participating in the backslapping would be simply ignoring it, like most posters.

It’s also hilarious to me that you view the Big 12’s collective sense of relief as backslapping.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Colorado will save viewership numbers for the Big 12 next year, without them it’s pretty bleak viewership wise.   No one’s getting excited to watch any of those other matchups other than their own fans, especially when competing against Big 10 and SEC games.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, statsman said:

I have no idea. When the Texit was announced, they feared they would get low to mid 20s per school, per year. Instead, they got low 30s. 

My guess would be that their real value is around mid to high 20s per school, per year? That would be comparable to the ACC ( which is probably worth more)?

It was a good deal for them. They survived until the next contract

Most of the "low to mid twenties" projections were coming from PAC media sycophants who ended up being wrong about everything.  The "365 sports" Baylor guys ended up being pretty accurate throughout, and the deal ended up about where they were predicting it would land.    

If you assume that the new Big 12 members were all actually worth ~$30M per, that means the payoff to let UT/OU walk away for nothing was $1.7M per x 16 schools x 6 years.  $163.2M  That fits pretty well with what the league thought it would be getting from UT and OU in buyout.  But that also means that even without UT and OU, the media side thought the new Big 12 had good value on their own.  The $1.7M per payoff is a relatively small part of the payout.  Adding in NCAA and CFP money, they'll be distributing around $60M per by the end of their rights deal.    

READ the USA Today article!

Texas/OU owed the Big 12 $160 million dollars per their bylaws, and that did NOT include any buyout to leave early which people were speculating would push it North of $200 million.

The Big 12 is claiming we settled for $100 million.

But in the fine print of the article, more than $80 million of that is the payout from the 2024-25 school year when we will be in the SEC. So we get no money the year we don’t play in the conference…sounds like what everyone assumed would happen.

In response to recent questions from the USA TODAY Network, the conference said more than $80 million of that is based on money the schools will not get in 2024-25, the year after the move. The rest is attributed to cuts in full revenue shares for 2023-24 that Texas, Oklahoma and the rest of the Big 12’s continuing members will be taking to finance payments promised to four schools that joined the conference this summer.

If you can put two and two together, that means that Texas and Oklahoma took a small cut this year to fund the new guys (just like every other school in the Big 12 did) which was less than $10 million each and got to leave early. So effectively they paid $0 in exit fees.

Here is the best part:

Texas, OU settlement left some ADs 'kind of dumbfounded'

However, some within the Big 12 have admitted to confusion about why the league didn’t fully enforce its bylaws with Texas and Oklahoma and other aspects of the deal.

The settlement left the athletics directors at some of the continuing Big 12 schools “kind of dumbfounded,” Kansas State athletics director Gene Taylor said. “We fought back as hard as we could,” but he said the conference’s lawyers advised them, Yormark and the schools’ presidents and chancellors that the bylaws were “not as rock-solid as everybody thought and we could be tied up on lawsuits forever.”

Good fucking job Texas. Hook’em and hats off to everyone involved in this.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Colorado will save viewership numbers for the Big 12 next year, without them it’s pretty bleak viewership wise.   No one’s getting excited to watch any of those other matchups other than their own fans, especially when competing against Big 10 and SEC games.  

Let’s see what the hype looks like after a ~.500 season, first. 

6 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Let’s see what the hype looks like after a ~.500 season, first. 

Even that and then a good recruit class, their ratings will double any other Big 12 matchups most likely.  Who nationally is tuning into Iowa  State vs Baylor, ect..   Unless one of those teams totally turns it around next year and is really really good.  

Just now, Hook1997 said:

Even that and then a good recruit class, their ratings will double any other Big 12 matchups most likely.  Who nationally is tuning into Iowa  State vs Baylor, ect..   Unless one of those teams totally turns it around next year and is really really good.  

That doesn’t mean he’s going to save anything. He might. But let’s see what the hype looks like after his team gets bent over a few times. Maybe that won’t take off the shine. We’ll see. 

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Any thoughts on how long Deion stays at Colorado once his kids and Travis Hunter have finished at CU ??

Sure feels like Deion may only have 2-3 more years at CU, and if so, that's not enough time to really help the B12 with their next TV contract which ends after the 2030 football season.

("Big 12 has secured its financial stability through at least the 2030-31 season"  CBS article)

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

4 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

“Killing the ridiculous hype” seems like the opposite of “increasing the hype train.” Which is it?

Jesus fucking Christ you’re dense today. A 3-6 finish with a bowl appearance would bring things down from the peak of this season (likely right now) but would continue and likely increase the talk going into next year. Skyrocketing stocks still tend to have dips along the way, are they not still trending up rapidly? 

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Jesus fucking Christ you’re dense today. A 3-6 finish with a bowl appearance would bring things down from the peak of this season (likely right now) but would continue and likely increase the talk going into next year. Skyrocketing stocks still tend to have dips along the way, are they not still trending up rapidly? 

Well, like I said, we’ll see if the hype train increases or not after something like probably a 3-6 finish with some absolute beatdowns included in the 6. Maybe it will. Media needs something to hype, so it’s possible. Also possible people realized he beat one overrated and two really bad teams to get to 3-0.

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Here is the best part:

Good fucking job Texas. Hook’em and hats off to everyone involved in this.

Texas, OU settlement left some ADs 'kind of dumbfounded'

However, some within the Big 12 have admitted to confusion about why the league didn’t fully enforce its bylaws with Texas and Oklahoma and other aspects of the deal.

The settlement left the athletics directors at some of the continuing Big 12 schools “kind of dumbfounded,” Kansas State athletics director Gene Taylor said. “We fought back as hard as we could,” but he said the conference’s lawyers advised them, Yormark and the schools’ presidents and chancellors that the bylaws were “not as rock-solid as everybody thought and we could be tied up on lawsuits forever.”

The settlement left the athletics directors at some of the continuing Big 12 schools “kind of dumbfounded,” Kansas State athletics director Gene Taylor said. “We fought back as hard as we could,” but he said the conference’s lawyers advised them, Yormark and the schools’ presidents and chancellors that the bylaws were “not as rock-solid as everybody thought and we could be tied up on lawsuits forever.”

I’m a little surprised KSU’s AD is that fucking dense. 

This thread is years old. When it started, we had IR8 teams from Texas commissioning studies for the state legislature to review, showing how awful it was that Texas was leaving and begging the lege to stop us (they couldn’t). There were fears from B12 schools that the next media contract would be a few million per school less than the old one. 

Then, we had reviews of the Grants of Rights. Everyone agreed- they couldn’t be broken. They weee rock solid. 

Magically, Yormark produced a good revenue deal! Yea! The Big 12 has value! A lot of value! (Yet, nobody ever mentioned the Fox/ESPN breakdown on the new deal). 

Now, this KSU AD idiot is asking where Texas’ and OU’s money is? Let me explain- “you have it. It’s in the new deal. UT and OU moving to the SEC is worth that much to ESPN”. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Any thoughts on how long Deion stays at Colorado once his kids and Travis Hunter have finished at CU ??

Sure feels like Deion may only have 2-3 more years at CU, and if so, that's not enough time to really help the B12 with their next TV contract which ends after the 2030 football season.

("Big 12 has secured its financial stability through at least the 2030-31 season"  CBS article)

I think he want to turn them into a winner before he leaves and actually build something in Colorado and sees it as a challenge.  I mean he evidently already turned FSU down so.  I could be wrong.  

1 hour ago, statsman said:

I’m a little surprised KSU’s AD is that fucking dense. 

This thread is years old. When it started, we had IR8 teams from Texas commissioning studies for the state legislature to review, showing how awful it was that Texas was leaving and begging the lege to stop us (they couldn’t). There were fears from B12 schools that the next media contract would be a few million per school less than the old one. 

Then, we had reviews of the Grants of Rights. Everyone agreed- they couldn’t be broken. They weee rock solid. 

Magically, Yormark produced a good revenue deal! Yea! The Big 12 has value! A lot of value! (Yet, nobody ever mentioned the Fox/ESPN breakdown on the new deal). 

Now, this KSU AD idiot is asking where Texas’ and OU’s money is? Let me explain- “you have it. It’s in the new deal. UT and OU moving to the SEC is worth that much to ESPN”. 

He just thought they could suckle at the teat of UT forever. Just like the rest of the Big 12 schools. 

3 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

That doesn’t mean he’s going to save anything. He might. But let’s see what the hype looks like after his team gets bent over a few times. Maybe that won’t take off the shine. We’ll see. 

Just as many people who hate him will tune in to see him humbled. He’s the only reason I’ll probably see a Big 12 game next year. 

8 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Just as many people who hate him will tune in to see him humbled. He’s the only reason I’ll probably see a Big 12 game next year. 

Not sure exactly what it would take to humble him. That said, if they finish like it appears they’ll finish, the world’s full of .500 coaches to go see. 

On 7/23/2021 at 7:48 AM, 'stache said:

If the PAC is seriously hurting that bad, they need to think boldly. Go to 18, invite everyone but WVU and Baylor. Set up zipper divisions so it’s a good mix of East and west, permanent game against cross division partner. Mix them up from year to year to get everyone playing each other regularly.

Div 1 - Div 2

UO - ORST

UW - WSU

STAN - CAL

UCLA - USC

UA - ASU

UTAH - CU

TECH - TCU

KU - OSU

ISU - KSU

I split the Kansas schools because Farmageddon seems more intense than the sunflower game or whatever it’s called but those 4 can mix however.

Just spitballing here.

I really enjoy this old post where the OSU fan dreams of dropping Baylor. Sorry, Cowboy. They’re yours.