Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

I don’t care if it’s Colorado or Oklahoma State, depending on a school or two to carry the conference feels like a bad plan 2.0.  There needs to be a hook for the whole conference- like the 2010s “pass happy, defense light”- to get people to tune in for more than a game here and there.  

I think it’s easy for Big 12 basketball.

17 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

There needs to be a hook for the whole conference- like the 2010s “pass happy, defense light”- to get people to tune in for more than a game here and there.  

I think it’s easy for Big 12 basketball.

Star players might help.  Need to hit on a few QBs each year.  Could be either freshman surprises and/or successful transfer QBs, WRs and RBs.  Definitely agree that B12 would helped if it becomes a higher scoring league again.  

31 minutes ago, statsman said:

In week 6, KU and UCF played on Fox- 1.45M.    In week 3, TCU and UH played on Fox- 1.32M.    The usual Fox games (non B12) get 2 - 4 times as much. I did see an OreSt-UCLA game that was comparable 

Your sample games are for 4 teams that won't necessarily be the best TV draws of the new B12.   And yes those ratings numbers quoted regarding FOX above aren't top rating numbers.

But an afternoon national slot on FOX for the best game of the week in new B12 league will at times still get decent ratings.  Much better than the FS1, FS2, or ESPN2 options that were previously listed.

There will be several B12 matchups that I would  likely watch over a lot of the B10 games.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

There will be several B12 matchups that I would  likely watch over a lot of the B10 games.

Same here.  But those midwesterners (+ East coast I guess?) love them some big 10 football.  Big 10 Football is just incredibly boring to me but the ratings are always somehow impressive.  Outside of Michigan/Ohio St. there is rarely a game I could possibly watch start to finish.  I watched a decent chunk of Ohio St/Penn St flipping back and forth and will do the same with Michigan this weekend, but will typically watch more of a marquee matchup from literally any other conference.  Maybe that's just me but I've never cared about Big 10 football.

• Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Same here.  But those midwesterners (+ East coast I guess?) love them some big 10 football.  Big 10 Football is just incredibly boring to me but the ratings are always somehow impressive.  Outside of Michigan/Ohio St. there is rarely a game I could possibly watch start to finish.  I watched a decent chunk of Ohio St/Penn St flipping back and forth and will do the same with Michigan this weekend, but will typically watch more of a marquee matchup from literally any other conference.  Maybe that's just me but I've never cared about Big 10 football.

Outside of a few marquee matchups, B1G football makes the eyes bleed. That Iowa-Minnesota game a few weeks ago was a fucking abomination. I seriously can’t believe there are P5 programs that play like that in 2023. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Cincy at Coug High at 6pm Saturday on FS1. Will viewership beat attendance at Robertson? Treasures? 

Well, it will be interesting. Both UT and tOSU are playing their games at the same time. We’ll see how much of Ohio and Texas that Cincy and the Cougars can draw. 

24 minutes ago, statsman said:

Well, it will be interesting. Both UT and tOSU are playing their games at the same time. We’ll see how much of Ohio and Texas that Cincy and the Cougars can draw. 

Most diplomatic response I could possibly imagine. Over/under 10 Houston bars with this game on? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, statsman said:

Is Fox allowed to program gymnastics or figure skating, instead of B12 football, if they want?

It’s not a contractual dedicated or exclusive afternoon slot. They can put on figure skating, NASCAR, or Big Ten volleyball if they want but if they want a college football game it’s either the Big 12 (which they pay $9mil/yr per school) or the MWC (which they pay $2mil/yr per school).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/6/2023 at 1:29 PM, 'stache said:

I listened to more talk radio last week than I have in years and my favorite part is that they are still crying over Reilly and gloating over his failures at USC. One of the hosts literally admitted that "we wen't pretty easy in him when he was here but now we know what a bad person he really is." 

Seriously, a literal admission about their biases. He was always a good coach and a jackass. You protected him until he took another job, and now you think he's a "bad person." Fuck off.

wen't?

Wtf kind of Oklahomified English is this???

8 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

It’s not a contractual dedicated or exclusive afternoon slot. They can put on figure skating, NASCAR, or Big Ten volleyball if they want but if they want a college football game it’s either the Big 12 (which they pay $9mil/yr per school) or the MWC (which they pay $2mil/yr per school).

Wait- have you seen the breakdown in payments to the B12, between ESPN and Fox? I have looked but not found them. Can you share?

12 hours ago, Skipper said:

Big 10 football draws well because for the most part it's schools are in large population states that love football.  Random sports fans with no affiliation to the league aren't watching it, there are just that many people in it's footprint.

2 hours ago, statsman said:

Wait- have you seen the breakdown in payments to the B12, between ESPN and Fox? I have looked but not found them. Can you share?

I believe it was $23mil from ESPN and $9mil from FOX. I’ll be sitting in the Denver airport later today, will see if I can find a source.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I believe it was $23mil from ESPN and $9mil from FOX. I’ll be sitting in the Denver airport later today, will see if I can find a source.

Didn’t take long, but I was off on the breakdown.

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/big-12s-pro-rata-clause-reportedly-applies-only-to-power-five-schools-espns-part-of-media-rights-deal.html

Doing some back of the envelope math, that’s around $240 million per year paid out by ESPN, or around $20 million per school, with Fox paying $140 million per year, or roughly $11.7 million per school. This means that even if the Big 12 expands with Power Five members, only the roughly two-thirds of the annual media rights value paid by ESPN would increase, with Fox not budging on their chunk.

This original data for this analysis came from Sports Business Journal 

https://sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Newsletter-College/2022/11/01.aspx

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Thanks! That’s actually a positive report for the B12’s future, that Fox was willing to commit that much. ESPN benefits from UT getting to the SEC ASAP, but Fox doesn’t. 

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

They're going to win a lot of games and be one of the best programs right off the bat, but what does "throwing their weight around" mean in that context?

Maybe "throwing their weight around" was a bad phrase for this, my bad. 

More like Utah coming in and filling the void left by Texas, much to the dismay of some of my Tech friends who are above the moon excited for Texas to finally leave the conference and "get rid of the cancer" just have Utah come on in and start exerting influence and do all the things they accused Texas of doing. 

23 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Maybe "throwing their weight around" was a bad phrase for this, my bad. 

More like Utah coming in and filling the void left by Texas, much to the dismay of some of my Tech friends who are above the moon excited for Texas to finally leave the conference and "get rid of the cancer" just have Utah come on in and start exerting influence and do all the things they accused Texas of doing. 

How exactly will Utah "exert influence?" Texas was able to do that mostly through just having the most money by far and a huge fan base AND being the flagship school in the most important state in the conference.

Utah has none of that. They play in a 50,000-seat stadium in a relatively small state and their revenue is right in line with the rest of the new Big 12 schools.

18 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

How exactly will Utah "exert influence?" Texas was able to do that mostly through just having the most money by far and a huge fan base AND being the flagship school in the most important state in the conference.

Utah has none of that. They play in a 50,000-seat stadium in a relatively small state and their revenue is right in line with the rest of the new Big 12 schools.

Yeah, I still don't really follow. I had to leave a facebook group of fans of the new Big 12 because 75% of the posts were Utah and BYU fans sniping over who was more important. It was really pathetic.

1 hour ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Anyone else think it would be quite amusing if Utah just walks right in and owns the Big 12 and throws their weight around just like all the other left behind schools have been accusing UT of doing....Their fans sure seem to think thats what is gonna happen. 

Maybe, except Utah's fans are arrogant without any real reason to be, as opposed to Texas fans who are arrogant because WE ARE BETTER THAN YOU AND YOU KNOW IT!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Maybe, except Utah's fans are arrogant without any real reason to be, as opposed to Texas fans who are arrogant because WE ARE BETTER THAN YOU AND YOU KNOW IT!

LOL.

Utah fans really are absolutely fucking insufferable, at least on social media.

They are basically all convinced they will come in and absolutely dominate the new Big 12 from day 1.  I mean, I know they are a good team, but it's a bit easier to win in a conference where like only 3-4 teams are actively trying to field a competitive program. 

I mean, it took a miracle for them to escape Waco with a win this year against one of the shittier Baylor teams in recent memory. I think they are going to find the middle/bottom of the new Big 12 WAY more challenging than the middle/bottom of the PAC, where you're playing in front of 10-20,000 disinterested fans.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Utah gonna get curb stomped by a few teams, all while getting 700K viewers on FS1.  Should be quite the fun year for them next year.

Remember, Big 12 runs through SLC.

11 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

Southlake Carroll?

Shitty Lubbock Campus

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

Utah gonna get curb stomped by a few teams, all while getting 700K viewers on FS1.  Should be quite the fun year for them next year.

Remember, Big 12 runs through SLC.

Drastically better ratings than they would have gotten on Apple TV had the Pac survived

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL.

Utah fans really are absolutely fucking insufferable, at least on social media.

They are basically all convinced they will come in and absolutely dominate the new Big 12 from day 1.  I mean, I know they are a good team, but it's a bit easier to win in a conference where like only 3-4 teams are actively trying to field a competitive program. 

I mean, it took a miracle for them to escape Waco with a win this year against one of the shittier Baylor teams in recent memory. I think they are going to find the middle/bottom of the new Big 12 WAY more challenging than the middle/bottom of the PAC, where you're playing in front of 10-20,000 disinterested fans.

I have to be honest, I will definitely be watching Whittingham vs Gundy for as long as that game happens. That could turn into a real blood feud just based on the games. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I have to be honest, I will definitely be watching Whittingham vs Gundy for as long as that game happens. That could turn into a real blood feud just based on the games. 

For sure. I think that us, Utah and K-State will have some absolute bloodbath games. I’m SUPER pumped that we get Utah in Stillwater next year. Should be fun.

I have 100% respect for Whittingham and their program.

I just think their fans don’t really understand how strong the middle/bottom of the Big 12 can be because they’re used to the middle/bottom of the PAC, which (this year notwithstanding) is normally complete shit. 

It’s one thing to get up for 2-4 games a year. But I mean if you don’t bring your “A” game to Lubbock, Ames, Ft Worth, Waco, Morgantown, etc., you’ll get cooked. As I noted earlier, Utah barley escaped Waco with a win against a pretty shitty Baylor team. KU used to be the easy W in the conference and they certainly aren’t that any more.

I mean even the new guys can sneak up and get you if your’e not careful (worry about that for this weekend, TBH). 

On 11/8/2023 at 12:24 PM, statsman said:

We have most of a season of ratings in. Brett Yormark has a problem. Ratings in games between the remaining B12 teams range from mediocre to wretched. 

In week 4, BU-UCF (added, because…Florida!) was watched by 340k, mid day on FS1. They were out viewed by the BTN also-rams matchup at the same time. Baylor has been relegated to streaming at this point in the season, with a streak of games on ESPN+. 

You could argue that maybe viewers were lured away by UH-TT on FS2 at the same time (it was viewed by 188k). 

In week 9, UH played KSU at noon on ESPN2, and was viewed by 371K. That’s 40k more than the viewers of UTEP-SHSU later that night on ESPN2.

My prediction is that this conference will be taken over by the four add ins next year. If the Left Behinds are smart, they’ll let them.  

Yep. ESPN paid a premium to get us early. The reckoning is coming in 2032. It couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of folks.