Jump to content

New SEC divisions and pods thread


mdmost

Recommended Posts

Here's my preference:

WEST DIVISION:
Pod 1:
Texas
A&M
OU
Arkansas

Pod 2:
Mizzou
Ole Miss
Miss St.
LSU

EAST DIVISION:
Pod 3:
Alabama
Auburn
Vandy
Tennessee

Pod 4:
Kentucky
S.C.
Georgia
Florida

Fits well geographically and is mostly equally competitive (except for maybe Pod 2).

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The SEC Network didn't put this on one of their shows without some reasoning behind it. I think it'll look exactly like this: 

E651yM2WYAcwI5W.jpeg

I do think the SEC will throw aggy a bone and keep them in a pod with LSU and away from us and OU. If the vote is 14-0, I bet it would be an absolute certainty. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The only question is where Aggy or Arkansas end up (and Mizzou because of it)

Meaning whoever of Aggy or Arkansas throw a bigger hissy fit about being in the TX/OU pod. 

You have to think the Arkansas administration want to play us. They still have Beat Texas week when we've played them since they left. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The SEC Network didn't put this on one of their shows without some reasoning behind it. I think it'll look exactly like this: 

E651yM2WYAcwI5W.jpeg

This is the best one I've seen.  Alabama has the easiest pod, but about as even as you'll be able to realistically draw up. 

I think a big key would be some sort of permanent rival outside of your pod (aggy for us).  This would allow some of the rivalries that might get split by this setup to continue, and when you add it to the 3 games within your own + 4 games vs. rotating pods, then that gives you a pretty clean 8 game conference schedule.  (Obviously there would need to be some caveat for what happens when your rival is in the pod you are scheduled to face that year but I'm sure that could be figured out pretty easily.)

Edited by Chuckie Finster
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm more of a divisional guy but I don't see Florida and Georgia wanting Alabama and Auburn in their division, which is the only way it makes sense. Plus it moves Mizzou back to a more sensible region. So the pods actually does work best for all parties while protecting multiple rivalries. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The SEC Network didn't put this on one of their shows without some reasoning behind it. I think it'll look exactly like this: 

E651yM2WYAcwI5W.jpeg

If it's pods, it has to be this.  If you were to switch aggy for Missouri or Arkansas, it would throw off the competitive balance.  Missouri will like this because it gets them out of the east and should help them recruit Texas.  I think Arkansas will like it because it helps them recruit Texas plus we're their rival, not aggy.  Florida and Georgia get to keep their cocktail party and don't have to play Bama every year.  LSU keeps their rivalry with the gomers and more of a foothold in Texas than they'd get from Missouri.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bojack said:

If it's pods, it has to be this.  If you were to switch aggy for Missouri or Arkansas, it would throw off the competitive balance.  Missouri will like this because it gets them out of the east and should help them recruit Texas.  I think Arkansas will like it because it helps them recruit Texas plus we're their rival, not aggy.  Florida and Georgia get to keep their cocktail party and don't have to play Bama every year.  LSU keeps their rivalry with the gomers and more of a foothold in Texas than they'd get from Missouri.  

Will this mean no permanent cross-pod rival game?  if you play 2 against each other pods + the 3 in your pod?

it would kinda suck to not have annual Texas-A&M, Arkansas-LSU, Alabama-Tennessee, Georgia-Auburn games anymore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

 

How would the championship play out without having too many rematches?

Just spitballing, but another option would be having the final week be a flex week.  Winner Pod A vs Winner Pod B (and C vs. D) and the non winners all play the corresponding team from that pod as well.  Would have to rotate to ensure that the pod you are paired with is not the same as the pod on your schedule that year.  Then two winners play each other in SEC Championship.

Obviously gets a little hairy, but probably easy enough to professionals to figure out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Will this mean no permanent cross-pod rival game?  if you play 2 against each other pods + the 3 in your pod?

it would kinda suck to not have annual Texas-A&M, Arkansas-LSU, Alabama-Tennessee, Georgia-Auburn games anymore. 

I don't see why not have a cross pod rivalry for everyone. Seriously wouldn't surprise me if aggy pushed for theirs to be Arkansas and vice versa.  We can play Bama, Georgia or whoever else wants some out of the east.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nineliveslost said:

Everyone sure (surly) seems confident this is going to happen. I hope we arent counting our chickens too quick 

It's been a loooong decade since we were all making plans for road trips to California for Pac-16 games. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Everyone sure (surly) seems confident this is going to happen. I hope we arent counting our chickens too quick 

We aren't controlled by slap dicks like Deloss and Powers. It's happening. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slightly different topic and it'll never happen, but move to 4 16 conferences, all of them organized by pods. Each conference has a tournament and the four champions get seeded by rank in a 4 team playoff. You could add a "losers" bracket and the highest rated teams from the non-Big 4 to give other conferences a chance.

Alternatively, send all pod winners and reserve 4 spots for other conferences/the highest ranked teams that didn't win their pod for a 16 team playoff. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As long as my Gators get to play LSU every year still. There's a good rivalry there I don't want to lose.

Rivals in division play every year, pods play eachother, other pods rotate between pods.

Fuck aggy

I think it's hilarious blowU is gonna ride our coattails wherever we want to go.

Super conferences here we come!

Yes I want this to go to ole miss every other year

Best Pod

Texas

blow U

piggy

Ole Miss

Bama's Pod

Alabama

auburn

Tennishit

aggy

LSU's Pod

LSU

Miss State

Mizzu

Vandy

Florida's Pod

Florida

Gawja

Kentucky

USC

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Queen Bitch said:

I truly cannot stop cackling at the possibility of locking aggy into a Big XII pod for the rest of their SEC days.

(yes I said this on the other thread and yes I'm copy/pasting it here)

Those arrogant sips rode our coattails to the S-E-C and now they're acting like they run things and forcing us to go back to getting our shit pushed in by them and ou all the time again.  God dammit.  I shoulda studied for the SAT.

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

With the pods, do you think there will be an effort to bring the annual UT/Aggy game back, whether it's on Thanksgiving or otherwise?  I do think OU will want to keep playing Okie State and that could work on Thanksgiving weekend.

I'll hang up and listen.

Normally…yes, but the depths of Aggy’s crybaby syndrome knows no limits. If they are vehemently opposed, then doubt it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

 

Alternatively, send all pod winners and reserve 4 spots for other conferences/the highest ranked teams that didn't win their pod for a 16 team playoff. 

 

Yea that doesn‚Äôt really work at all. ¬†You could have ‚Äúpod winners‚ÄĚ that aren‚Äôt ranked or even with overall losing records still if a¬†pod really sucks that year. ¬†

Edited by Hook1997
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Zeus said:

As long as my Gators get to play LSU every year still. There's a good rivalry there I don't want to lose.

Rivals in division play every year, pods play eachother, other pods rotate between pods.

Fuck aggy

I think it's hilarious blowU is gonna ride our coattails wherever we want to go.

Super conferences here we come!

Yes I want this to go to ole miss every other year

Best Pod

Texas

blow U

piggy

Ole Miss

Bama's Pod

Alabama

auburn

Tennishit

aggy

LSU's Pod

LSU

Miss State

Mizzu

Vandy

Florida's Pod

Florida

Gawja

Kentucky

USC

 

 

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

People can slice the pods in a lot of ways. What I want to see regardless of your preference is to see the pods rotate play to a different pod each year. Then two teams from the farthest (scheduling wise) pod away round out the 9 game conference schedule. 

So for example if our pod was Texas, aggy, OU and Mizzou

Year 1

Texas plays one pod over (LSU, Pig, Ole Miss, Miss St.) and Kentucky and Georgia.

Year 2

Texas plays two pods over (Vols, Vandy, Bama, Auburn) and Ole Miss and Miss St.

Year 3

Texas plays three pods over (Kentucky, USCe, Georgia, Florida) and Vols and Vandy.

Year 4

Texas plays one pod over (LSU, Pig, Ole Miss, Miss St.) and USCe and Florida.

Year 5

Texas plays two pods over (Vols, Vandy, Bama, Auburn) and LSU and Pig.

And the pattern continues. 

 

This ensures everyone is playing each other and there's opportunities for home/away games that don't take forever to get to.

Edited by maninblack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Again, if this happens and we go to pods, the following should be the pods.

West pod-Horns, OU, aTm, Arkie

River pod-LSU, Mizzou, Ole Miss, MSU

Central pod-Bama, AU, UTN, Vandy

East pod-UGA, UF, SCar, UK

You play your three pod members, you have a fixed opponent in each of the other three pods, you play one other pod, rotating each year. Within 3 years, you have played every other team at least once. Bama's fixed opponents from other pods, Horns(because I say so plus already on schedule the next two years), LSU, SCar(AU-UGA, UF-UTN &Vandy-UK are already a thing).

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, maninblack said:

People can slice the pods in a lot of ways. What I want to see regardless of your preference is to see the pods rotate play to a different pod each year. Then two teams from the farthest (scheduling wise) pod away round out the 9 game conference schedule. 

So for example if our pod was Texas, aggy, OU and Mizzou

Year 1

Texas plays one pod over (LSU, Pig, Ole Miss, Miss St.) and Kentucky and Georgia.

Year 2

Texas plays two pods over (Vols, Vandy, Bama, Auburn) and Ole Miss and Miss St.

Year 3

Texas plays three pods over (Kentucky, USCe, Georgia, Florida) and Vols and Vandy.

Year 4

Texas plays one pod over (LSU, Pig, Ole Miss, Miss St.) and USCe and Florida.

Year 5

Texas plays two pods over (Vols, Vandy, Bama, Auburn) and LSU and Pig.

And the pattern continues. 

 

This ensures everyone is playing each other and there's opportunities for home/away games that don't take forever to get to.

Or you do it the simpler way, that the SEC channel listed, and you basically play everyone every 2 years 

Odd Year: OU, Piggy, Mizzou, LSU, Ole Miss, Vandy, Auburn, Georgia, Kentucky

Even Year: OU, Piggy, Mizzou, Aggy, Miss State, Tennessee, Bama, Florida, South Carolina 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Again, if this happens and we go to pods, the following should be the pods.

West pod-Horns, OU, aTm, Arkie

River pod-LSU, Mizzou, Ole Miss, MSU

Central pod-Bama, AU, UTN, Vandy

East pod-UGA, UF, SCar, UK

You play your three pod members, you have a fixed opponent in each of the other three pods, you play one other pod, rotating each year. Within 3 years, you have played every other team at least once. Bama's fixed opponents from other pods, Horns(because I say so plus already on schedule the next two years), LSU, SCar(AU-UGA, UF-UTN &Vandy-UK are already a thing).

This is exactly right. I endorse this structure.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I truly cannot stop cackling at the possibility of locking aggy into a Big XII pod for the rest of their SEC days.
(yes I said this on the other thread and yes I'm copy/pasting it here)
Maybe so, but I think the SEC will throw aggy a bone and align them with LSU and the Mississippi's. We'll get OU, Arky, and Mizzou.

Sorry we reneged on our "gentleman's agreement'.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...