Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I know we've touched on this, but it is pretty interesting to watch what is happening in BCS. They're taking a bunch of character issue guys and grade risks, and a bunch of mercenaries or players with bad hangers on within their circle. This will either blow-up hilariously and the attrition will ultimately be off the charts, or this has the makings of an outlaw program with no moral compass a la ATM under Sherrill, OU under Switzer, and Miami generally. That's somewhat ominous to me. 

Look at the players:

2018-

-Bobby Brown - a flake who juked around with multiple schools until the last second and also looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane.

-Tank Jenkins - auction

-Jashaun Corbin - auction

-James Foster - auction that the in-state schools more or less ignored until Bama got desperate late.

-Vernon Jackson - flake who thinks he's going to play TB at ATM and be a star. Note: Oscar Giles failed to offer him the opportunity to start out at TB until the afternoon of signing day. Strong work, Oscar. 

-Leon O'Neal - an undertalented, overrated prima donna who expects to start early and be a high draft pick after 3 years. A shattered worldview for this guy will be one of the greatest aggie meltdowns in years.

2019-

-Erick Young - TankedBevo's plaintive protestations aside, this dude pulled a stunt I've never even seen before and showed us who he is in the process.

-Bobby Wolfe - the 2019 version of Leon O'Neal. Getting these two goobers in the same DB film room will probably asphyxiate everyone else due to a lack of oxygen being present when they're done talking/beating chests.

-Bobby Williams - a stud who shut everything down in one visit and is not speaking to anyone else, anywhere. ATM struck an absolutely great deal here with the family.

-Jeffery Carter - he has a turd hanging on to him that has caused many programs to end pursuit. It's pretty bad if that happens. He's a stud player with a helicopter parent firing RPGs from above, so it should be awesome to witness. 

-Kenyon Green - I told the story of his dad allegedly trying to find a bidding war for his kid's attendance to an all-star game. I've never heard of that one before, but it's hilarious. Anyway, another one who thinks he's one thing, but he projects as something else, and not a person around him has ever told him otherwise or thought it themselves.

-Tarian Lee - needs a brain transplant to get into college.

-Andre White - another guy who visits one time and shuts everything down and won't speak to anyone. Okay.

-Beason and Brooks - I don't think ATM is done looking at either of these two.

They'll also look to close around signing day on some of the purer auctions with guys who either never visit or mention them until the final 2-3 weeks of this period, or guys that the local programs simply will not touch, hence their availability. 

Can you build a program around these types? Florida did it, but they also had a transcendent leader who kept the thugs in line. Things went sideways when he was done. Earlier examples don't fit due to the high, high level of talent that was being purchased, and locally, for OU, ATM, and Miami when they were doing what they were doing. All three of those scenarios ended badly nonetheless. Only ATM was incompetent enough to not win at least one MNC during their run. 

They also took a DL who's had two ACL surgeries, took a DB who re-committed twice despite never decommitting, a Louisiana TE who LSU passed on, and took two marginal upper level P5 prospects to land their stud teammate. In the current class, their QB had a 15/11 TD/INT ration last year, and of their better commits has severe character issues that hasn't made it into the public domain yet as far as I know 

23 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I've been where you're at, man, and I feel for you. You really, really need this coaching hire to work out and you've convinced yourself that it will, and cleanly. Anyone or anything referencing otherwise must be a rube, a loon, or both. 

That all said, I've merely aged like a fine wine. I'm taking a position based on what I believe, just like I always have. 

i've always appreciated your taking of positions, you've just lost any and all objectivity when it comes to looking at the actual players since jimbo arrived, which is fine. 

22 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

If he stumbles, will you be off to Canada again?

just got back from 3 weeks in portland / vancouver. why the hell i spend any time in texas between memorial and labor day is a mystery wrapped in ball sweat. 

Perroni

Texas A&M has 21 commitments. There is not much more room in the class as, even if the Aggies were to run off half the team, they would still be limited to 28 signees due to the NCAA signing rules.

I believe that A&M could end up with quite a few more very soon.

I had previously predicted that Mansfield Legacy cornerback Jeffery Carter and Katy Mayde Creek defensive end Marcus Stripling would likely be the next two commits. However, I think another domino could fall before that.

Klein Collins running back Isaiah Spiller has said at The Opening Finals that he planned to make a decision prior to his senior season now. There is a lot of buzz with other recruits and around the Houston area that it could be even sooner than that.

While Carter could make a decision in the next month or so - and the same with Stripling, though he still says publicly that he wants to wait until signing day - I think Spiller could happen even before Carter. In fact, it might not be very far off at all.

It is down to A&M and Oklahoma with the state's top-ranked back and the No. 2 all-purpose back in the country but the Aggies are in good shape with the legacy and there was again a lot of buzz at The Opening that he would end up in Maroon and White. That would be a huge piece to the offensive puzzle for A&M and leave wide receiver Dylan Wright as the primary target on that side of the ball.

Though I'm not as certain on this one happening as early, I have heard from a couple people in Louisiana that four-star linebacker target Christian Harris is getting even closer to a commitment and that many people are expecting it to be A&M.

It would not be a huge shock if Spiller, Carter, Harris and Stripling were all in the fold by the end of August but I think the first two are the best bets for it to happen. That would leave only a very small number of targets for the coaching staff to all work on over the course of the season.

By: Brian Perroni

41 minutes ago, bizzle said:

i've always appreciated your taking of positions, you've just lost any and all objectivity when it comes to looking at the actual players since jimbo arrived, which is fine. 

just got back from 3 weeks in portland / vancouver. why the hell i spend any time in texas between memorial and labor day is a mystery wrapped in ball sweat. 

Lmao, CTJ is probably being generous with his takes given he basically shits on everything including our own players and coaches.  Bizzle, you’re slightly smarter than the average aggie that strolls this way.  I’m not sure you can argue at all with the character risks jumbo is bringing on board.  Just own it man.  Either y’all will win similar to the way ole miss did or you you guys will stumble over your dicks like you guys always do.

4 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

So they’re going to have their entire class committed before any of them even play 1 down their senior year. Seems like a good strategy.

Mack Brown approves!  

1 hour ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Perroni

It would not be a huge shock if Spiller, Carter, Harris and Stripling were all in the fold by the end of August but I think the first two are the best bets for it to happen. That would leave only a very small number of targets for the coaching staff to all work on over the course of the season.

By: Brian Perroni

This also presumes the on-field performance will be strong enough to keep a number of the existing commits from wandering. Good luck with all of that.

1 hour ago, bizzle said:

It sounds like you've got all the time in the world to debunk any position on a player that I've taken. Feel free to point out my apparent lunacy. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

This also presumes the on-field performance will be strong enough to keep a number of the existing commits from wandering. Good luck with all of that.

I don't recall shitty performances like what Jimbo is most likely going to roll out there this fall having more than a small impact on recruiting classes. I'd expect a few departures, sure, but I don't think it will be the wholesale jumping of ship that some are looking forward to. Maybe 2 or 3, actually, at most, is my wild-assed-guess. Especially if the checks have cleared.

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I don't recall shitty performances like what Jimbo is most likely going to roll out there this fall having more than a small impact on recruiting classes. I'd expect a few departures, sure, but I don't think it will be the wholesale jumping of ship that some are looking forward to. Maybe 2 or 3, actually, at most, is my wild-assed-guess. Especially if the checks have cleared.

I'm not predicting an exodus. I do think they're going to have to spend a lot of time and energy keeping things together, though. It really depends upon how bad things get. 

• Like 1

aggy seems to have forgotten last year's FSU team was the culmination of several top 5-10 recruiting classes in a row, and that team needed an end of season win over a cupcake to become bowl eligible..

Real. Corching.

29 minutes ago, ousux said:

aggy seems to have forgotten last year's FSU team was the culmination of several top 5-10 recruiting classes in a row, and that team needed an end of season win over a cupcake to become bowl eligible..

Real. Corching.

Which was not processed correctly because they actually weren't bowl eligible 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Not to mention lack of momentum on the recruiting trail because their class is already full. When you are having a shitty season on the field it's nice to add commits late in the cycle to keep the momentum going. 

The context for this Mack Brown recruiting approach is completely different than it was when Mack started at Texas. 

For starters, Mack was winning on the field early in his tenure. Not to mention there was a lot less in state competition for recruits. Mack didn't have to worry about recruits flipping because nobody was a "real" threat to steal recruits in Texas. 

Edited by texasstrong12

32 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Those Chris Steele videos are amazing. What did "Bob" do to end up on the receiving end of that ownage?

Steele played on the FAST Houston 7-on-7 team during the early part of the year and I think he and Wolfe got into it at a tournament. Anyway, all you need to know is that Wolfe likes to run his mouth and Steele actually puts him in his place. When Wolfe was committed to A&M the first time, Steele said something to the effect of, "I'll attend A&M just to take your place."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ousux said:

Real. Corching.

Walk your ass down here and say that!

636442026918328066-B49I9712.JPG

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ousux said:

Real. Corching.

They weren't bowl eligible. However, they went to a bowl.

Some of the comments on tigerdroppings are gold.   

That op did raise one good point.   Since coach O will suck.  Aggy will likely start beating LSU regularly.   Will be interesting recruiting dynamic if LSU fades.    Will that benefit bama or aggy or Texas or Tcu type schools the most?