Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

Anybody have the most recent Texags/Liucci write up? 
Based on twitter it sounds like he's pulling a Tarp and trying to temper expectations. Apparently, he's not banking on a 8 win season now. 

If that is the case then those expectations are coming straight from the ministry. At this point it’s all hands on deck to spin the forthcoming season to hold on to recruits.

6 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I have a buddy who through his job had Texas coaches as clients and was always on campus.  He told me Madden was always in his office watching shit like CSI and Criminal Minds.  Every time. 

And eating donuts and not paying attention to who wasn’t working out or what they were doing in the weight room. There was zero accountability.

BUT he was still better than Bennie Wylie, who was utterly inept. Wylie just looks the part. 

4 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

How is Jerry Schmidt going to make guys eat their own vomit after the UMD debacle?  The Junction Boys dream scenario is a no go.

One observation I’ve made about fuck-up meathead coaches over the years is that they’re always fuck-up meathead coaches. They never learn and never change their stripes.

See: Pelini, Bo (and he’s actually far from the bad end of that spectrum)

2 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

If that is the case then those expectations are coming straight from the ministry. At this point it’s all hands on deck to spin the forthcoming season to hold on to recruits.

Jimbo knows what he has. You don't have to be one of only 3 active head coaches in all the land with a natty, to realize this roster is piss-poor. He's already started the campaign that this season won't matter (smart move to be honest), and now the mouthpieces are starting to buy into the narrative. Once Jimbo gets HIS recruits in there, and the Sumlin filth is washed clean, THEN aggy will really start to shine! Just wait for 20_ _!

It is going to be hilarious listening to aggy as they suffer through this season. I am fairly confident 6-6 will be the best case scenario for Jimbo and Co™ this year, and 5-7 is far more likely.

Edited by Sejjr

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

Jimbo knows what he has. You don't have to be one of only 3 active head coaches in all the land with a natty, to realize this roster is piss-poor. He's already started the campaign that this season won't matter (smart move to be honest), and now the mouthpieces are starting to buy into the narrative. Once Jimbo gets HIS recruits in there, and the Sumlin filth is washed clean, THEN aggy will really start to shine! Just wait for 20_ _!

It is going to be hilarious listening to aggy as they suffer through this season. I am fairly confident 6-6 will be the best case scenario for Jimbo and Co™ this year, and 5-7 is far more likely.

What I dont look forward to is them sucking shit through a straw and the media making every effort to apologize for them and explain away the mediocrity. Or the exact opposite we got from loval coverage like the AAS and which bled right through to the national pundits. Fuck. I hope Brian, chip, and kirk all die from painful flesh eating dick bacteria. After chip brown lands in jail for tax evasion. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What I dont look forward to is them sucking shit through a straw and the media making every effort to apologize for them and explain away the mediocrity. Or the exact opposite we got from loval coverage like the AAS and which bled right through to the national pundits. Fuck. 

I don't know what will happen on the national level but the aggy PR machine is already at work on the local level. 

Take yesterday for example with the transfers of Bonney and Cuffey. Every local outlet was reporting the transfers (AAS, 247, OB, IT, and so on). For whatever reason, local aggy media is trying to keep attrition/transfers "under the radar". I don't know if they think it's perceived as a lack of buy in or what but it's odd. When Marchiol transferred there was very little local coverage if any. 

Edited by texasstrong12

15 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Only five LBs is crazy... we have seven and we've been freaking out about our depth. And we only play with two on the field a lot of the times. And we don't play in a pro style run first conference. 

5 is being generous because 3 of the LBers are probably undersized to play the Mike and Buck positions in a 4-2-5. 

At Wake Forest Elko used Marquel Lee at the Mike position. He was 240. At ND it was Nyles Morgan at 235. 

The Buck at WF was Chubb at 245 and Jaboree Williams at 245. I believe Coney is the one that played Buck at ND and he was around 240. 

Buddy Johnson (225), Okeke (215), and Hines (230) are all undersized for what Elko wants inside at LBer. All 3 are probably better fits at Rover but I'm guessing Hines is getting looks at Mike because they don't have any other options. 

If they lose Alaka or Dodson to injury they are screwed because they really don't have any other viable options at the position. 

21 hours ago, Machinator said:

From Frenzy

Jeff Tarpley: Ten VIP thoughts from Sunday's practice: Three groups to watch

Hide contents

1. Texas A&M’s open practice was something of a mishmash the other day with the first two defensive units going against the first and third offenses on one end of the field and everyone else at the other end of the field. In some circumstances, you had the third team offensive line matched up with the first team defensive line which made it difficult for the offense to get much going regardless of who was lined up at the skill positions.

2. There weren’t a lot of freshmen out there with the first two units. You had Bobby Brown and Jeremiah Martin at end with the second team defense and the freshman running backs on the other side of the ball….and that was pretty much it. There’s not a lot of places for freshmen to come in and make an immediate impact because of the number of returnees and even where they could have done so A&M didn’t sign anyone.

3. The quality depth on the roster is concentrated at defensive tackle and to a lesser extent at other spots. There’s a lot of places where A&M has experienced bodies but not necessarily guys who could step in for an extended time if the starters go down and maintain a similar level of production.

4. With only five linebackers on the roster that aren’t former walk ons, the ability of that group to stay healthy is paramount if A&M is to improve on defense. Fortunately, sophomore Anthony Hines gives the Aggies a lot of flexibility. He can play inside or at the rover and he’s an agile guy with vision and closing speed. Buddy Johnson is bigger than Hines which is probably why they’re experimenting with Johnson moving inside when Hines comes in. However, the Aggies don’t appear to lose much when he’s on the field. It’s not the two deep that everyone hoped for but it’s a rotation that they can live with.

5. Some special teams notes: I wouldn’t expect much to change in the way of the gunners and upbacks. Trayveon Williams worked with the gunners on the outside on kickoff coverage but corner Charles Oliver was relatively effective there last year. Guys like Kingsley Keke and Landis Durham should continue to work as protectors. There’s no question watching people field kicks that Trayveon Williams will be the main man as a kickoff returner with someone else filling the blocking back role. Quartney Davis is very smooth fielding punts and getting upfield with the ball. He is a natural.

6. The running back spot has a lot of guys fighting for not that many reps. Trayveon Williams is established as the starter and he’s much bigger in the upper body than he was last year. He seems better able to absorb blows and keep going but his game as a freshman was based on getting upfield to the second level in a hurry. The thing that people miss on Kwame Etwi when discussing A&M’s running back corps is that he can plant and get to the second level as well or better than any of the younger scholarship players. He’s a real north/south runner who can bend things back into daylight very quickly and he’s got a nice all around game in terms of his blocking and receiving. The younger guys still seem to be focused on that aspect of the game…reading blocks, planting, and getting north/south…and that may take time.

7. A&M used more two tight end sets on Sunday but they really don’t have much behind Jace Sternberger and Trevor Wood in terms of being able to use the same personnel groupings with the same level of success. Wood can get his hands on a defensive end and ride them outside but Glenn Beal is more a pure in line guy. Ryan Renick is someone who catches everything thrown his way but Wood is by far the most effective blocker of the group.

I focused on players when I relayed things to Damon on my way back to Dallas on Sunday night and so today I want to focus more on the position groups. There’s three main groups that everyone needs to be watching once the season starts.

8. The first (of course) is the offensive line. Due to the fact that we sat on the first deck, we didn’t have the best angles to take in the interior of the line (it was easier to see the guys on the edge). The run blocking appeared to be better than the pass blocking.

The freshmen linemen were with the third unit and none of them gave the impression that they were ready to contribute as of today and that they needed time during the season to develop. A&M has more options on the interior than they do at tackle but not many more. They’ve basically got a three deep of scholarship players but it’s not like many of them could play extended minutes if they had to. You’ve got swing guys like Colton Prater (who didn’t practice but went through drills), Keaton Sutherland, and Ryan McCollum who can play multiple spots in the interior and might give them a seven man rotation at best right now…but some of those people have had problems in the past being consistent players. Connor Lanfear is with the second unit but he’s still trying to work his way back into the lineup after missing both of the Aggies’ last two bowl games with injuries

9. The second…and this may surprise you…is the secondary. While people make a lot of the Aggies length back there (particularly at corner), it’s not a group that’s especially fast. Corner Charles Oliver was a track guy in high school but the rest of the unit is known for its hitting ability moreso than its deep coverage skills. They’ve improved themselves from a fundamental standpoint but here’s couple of things to think about.

A, the current crop of corners that A&M has committed are in the 6 foot to 6 foot 1 range. They’re all high four star caliber athletes who can run and open their hips. You contrast that to the people currently on the roster who were generally rated as a three star prospects coming out of high school who are a lot bigger and brought length as opposed to other attributes to the equation. This staff is trying to recruit people who are diametrically opposite to the ones that they will be sending out there in the fall. In fact, Oliver is really the only one who seems like that he would fit in the 2019 recruiting class from a physical standpoint.

COMMENTS
B, A&M’s safeties like to get involved in run support but it remains to be seen what kind of deep coverage ability they have. A&M ranked near the bottom of the SEC last season in allowing big passing plays. In the spring game, tight end Jace Strenbrger went eight for 147 yards. While everyone focused on his numbers, they also didn’t seem to realize that he was going up against the players that would start at safety for the Aggies this upcoming season and that he hadn’t played a SEC game yet. Quarterback Nick Starkel averaged about nine yards an attempt against those safeties and he’s a downfield passer.

10. Three, the defensive end spot will probably have a couple of freshmen playing meaningful minutes in Brown and either Martin or Max Wright. It says something that A&M had to move a defensive tackle outside as a possible long term solution when one of the projected starters went down. In fact, A&M has Landis Durham out there on the edge and depending on what they do with Kingsley Keke once Micheal Clemons comes back says a lot, at least for this season

I’m not as familiar with Tarpley. What’s his story? Usually an optimist, pessimist, fair? 

Any crazy stories (interview in a bathroom for ex.)?

21 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

I’m not as familiar with Tarpley. What’s his story? Usually an optimist, pessimist, fair? 

Any crazy stories (interview in a bathroom for ex.)?

Tarp's about as level-headed as aggy writers get, not that it means very much. His big Achilles heel is that he loathes UT to the point it affects his reporting - much more than someone like Perroni who's a standard-issue sunshine pumper who has no problem also acknowledging RoJo was aggy's first choice at QB.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

What I dont look forward to is them sucking shit through a straw and the media making every effort to apologize for them and explain away the mediocrity.

Only local homers will sift through the details to find something to put a shine on their turd of a season.

For the world outside of the Aggie bubble, the facts are simple. A&M paid $75m for a National Championship Coach coming off an awful season at a football power; how's that working out for you? Some may recall A&M's odd crowing about how much they spent as though it makes them look good.

Should the Aggies suck, the story will be that the Aggies were foolish to take a gamble with so much money, and Jimbo may be washed up. With each loss, their SEC brothers will laugh at them. I expect scorn and ridicule if the losses pile up.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Only local homers will sift through the details to find something to put a shine on their turd of a season.

For the world outside of the Aggie bubble, the facts are simple. A&M paid $75m for a National Championship Coach coming off an awful season at a football power; how's that working out for you? Some may recall A&M's odd crowing about how much they spent as though it makes them look good.

Should the Aggies suck, the story will be that the Aggies were foolish to take a gamble with so much money, and Jimbo may be washed up. With each loss, their SEC brothers will laugh at them. I expect scorn and ridicule if the losses pile up.

And if Taggert at FSU and Sumlin at Arizona do better than A&M the insane amount of shit that is going to be thrown at them will be epic. Also you got to add in FSU, LSU, ND all looking to take many shots at aggy for money whipping them in very public fashion.

7 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Show me 5 wins

9 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Based on twitter it sounds like he's pulling a Tarp and trying to temper expectations. Apparently, he's not banking on a 8 win season now. 

I don't believe you. Lucci is incappable of turning off the Sunshine Pump

The Texas and aggy programs have coincidentally landed on similar pathways, a year apart. It will be interesting and funny to see how their 5-6 win season with new coach gets spun vs our 7 win season with our first coach. 

Becsuse as of now, it’s herman is in over hi head blah blah. But they’re already laying the groundwork for jimbo needs time to shape the roster. 

If Texas wins 9 or more games this season,  will they all then point to us as proof that it takes a coach time to right the ship?  That would be acknowledging something that they don’t want to acknowledge. 

Same with transfers, which every team has 5 of every year. Aggy isn’t talking about theirs right now, but is happy to mention Texas and LSU transfers, because their current sales pitch is buy in if culture change and transfers are for disgruntled players. 

Next year, transfers will be about being passed up by the amazing 2019 class already and it’s a good thing because more talent. Which is exactly what’s going on this year at Texas. 

TL,DR. Bless their hearts 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, deech said:

He still hasn't signed his contract yet, right?

Honestly, if he can continue to avoid signing it, it's in his interest to do so.  Because it's a contract for a term of longer than a year, he has to agree to it in writing in order to be bound by it (I.e., you can't have an oral contract with a contract term of 7 years).  But if TAMU has signed it, he can fully enforce its requirements against them.  At the end of the year, if Fisher hasn't signed the contract yet and wants to jump ship, TAMU will have a really hard time enforcing a buy out against him.

"Under the statute of frauds, certain contracts are not enforceable unless they are in writing and signed by the person against whom enforcement of the contract is sought."  S & I Mgmt., Inc. v. Sungju Choi, 331 S.W.3d 849, 854 (Tex. App.—Dallas 2011, no pet.) (emphasis added).  Thus, if TAMU has signed the contract and Jimbo seeks to enforce it against them, he can do so.  But if Jimbo has not signed the contract and TAMU seeks to enforce it against him, they cannot.

For those worried about everything falling into place for aggy after this year... don't.

Next year:

At Clemson

At Georgia

At LSU

At Ole Miss

Arky neutral

Home Auburn

Home Bama

Home MSU

Home South Carolina

I see 4 absolute losses + 5 probable losses

At Bama

At Auburn

At MSU

At South Carolina

Neutral Arky

Home LSU

Home Ole Miss

4 probable losses + 3 tossups

23 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I honestly think they'll be breaking in a new coach too.

Jimbo is going to go to LSU. They will have a booster step up and make it happen.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think you're right, but you're a year too early.

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

"Under the statute of frauds, certain contracts are not enforceable unless they are in writing and signed by the person against whom enforcement of the contract is sought."  S & I Mgmt., Inc. v. Sungju Choi, 331 S.W.3d 849, 854 (Tex. App.—Dallas 2011, no pet.) (emphasis added).  Thus, if TAMU has signed the contract and Jimbo seeks to enforce it against them, he can do so.  But if Jimbo has not signed the contract and TAMU seeks to enforce it against him, they cannot.

Um, I think you need to have a contract before you can enforce the contract.  I don’t think your case says what you think it says. 

• Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, VaHorn said:

Um, I think you need to have a contract before you can enforce the contract.  I don’t think your case says what you think it says. 

Spend some time researching the statute of frauds.  I'll wait here for you to come back and acknowledge that you're wrong.

16 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Why would Jimbo want to win 8 games this year?   He doesn't have to or need to, nobody expects it this year.  He can get by with 6 or 7 and go to a bowl.  Then strive for 7/8 next year.   Work his way up to 9/10 in 3/4 years.  Expectations are low.  He will meet these low expectations.  Pay is the same.

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

@Lobwedgephil You got the lastest Lucci?

Spoiler

Liucci

3:19p

Staff

AG

This is part one of Liucci's Question's Answered: Fall Camp Edition.

Quote:

Call your shot. Starting QB come game 1?

Here's the thing: I'm not ready to call my shot yet. Right now, if you talked to any random sampling of about ten people in Bright, I think at best you'd get a 6-4 split. Monday's scrimmage? Returns are that Starkel started stronger and Mond finished stronger. It's been like that most of the spring - one guy starts to make a move and then the other responds. I think in about a week we'll start hearing about separation or one guy possibly making a move towards getting the nod. Any predictions at this point are guesses

Quote:

How does James Foster fall into the QB scheme of things going into next year?

Going in to NEXT year? That depends entirely on whether or not the QB who serves as the backup this year (assuming the starter performs well enough to keep his job all season and plays well) sticks around or not in today's transfer-happy game. If not, then he'll battle it out with Blumrick and Zach Calzada for QB2 duties. Foster is a pretty damned talented dude but he needs a year to learn Jimbo Fisher's pro-style system.

Quote:

Who will be QB1?

The guy two questions up beat you to it.

Quote:

Any user friendly additions coming to the boards for the users you can give some info on?

That's a Stewade question but I will say we have a couple of new ideas for the fall in terms of content that I think you guys will really enjoy.

Quote:

How do you think we close out the 2019 class?

Assuming everyone stays solid, I'm going to go with David Ugwoegbu and Jalen Wydermyer. From there, the guys who could still find their way into the class somehow include Ainias Smith or Marcus Stripling and maybe a 'best available' with Khris Bogle or Nakobe Dean both officially visiting and probably being the two to watch most closely. Obviously, the Ags wouldn't be able to sign all of those guys but that will depend on the OOS guys staying solid and not taking giving indications that they're actively shopping their services. As of today, they all seem pretty set on the Aggies, which is a good thing.

Quote:

What is your prediction for our starting WR corps vs Northwestern State?

For Game 1? I'm going to to with Ausbon, Davis and Buckley when they're first in three-wide.

Quote:

Any thoughts on what Scott Frost said about what he feels is the right coaching style?

I'd have to go back and listen to it again. If it's the whole 'not cussing' or yelling at players, I don't really have a preference. Whatever works for a particular coach. What happened at Maryland is repulsive and heinous but that was over-the-top extreme and barbaric. What I do think matters most - regardless of how you do it - is that the players know while they are being COACHED and TAUGHT how to do things the right way that their head coach and position coaches have their best interests and development at heart. They need to know that the coaches genuinely CARE about them. Period. That's what matters most and it's the only real way to get them to respond over the long haul.

Quote:

Who is our 2020 class QB?

Good question. Very early to say but I'll go with Weatherford's Ken Seals or a national top-10 type from outside of Texas. If I had to guess today, I'm predicting an out-of-stater for the third class in a row for the Ags.

Quote:

Q or Peevy, bigger breakout season?

I'm actually going to go with Quartney Davis because the race for PT is so wide open and he's actually been more impressive thus far in camp. Remember, Peevy missed all of spring so he's just ten practices into a new defensive scheme while the other guys are 25 practices deep. He's also playing on one of the most stacked positions on the team. Is Jayden's breakout season is as a junior but he'll be good this year, whereas Davis has a chance to really emerge early this fall.

Quote:

percentage chances of who we close with for 2019?

Let's put it this way: 75% of higher - Ugwoegbu and Wydermyer, 50% or higher - Stripling (OU making a push here and I'm honestly not sure how long the Ags wait around if he really wants to hold out until after the fall), 40% or less - a steal of some kind (several players committed elsewhere reaching out behind the scenes...I think the Ags get one eventually but there's no individual who stands out as most likely), 25% or less - guys like Dean, Ishmael Sopsher and Bogle from OOS.

Quote:

names you are hearing we are in a very good spot for 2020?

Still really early here but that will start to change this fall. Made a big move with Zach Evans during his most recent visit. Others include FB Austin WR Troy Omeire, Newton DE James Sylvester, Cibolo Steele CB Jaylon Jones and Cedar Hill CB Dwight McGlothern.

Quote:

Project the biggest impact newcomer not named Sternberger

Bobby Brown on defense, Trevor Wood on offense. Possibly Jashaun Corbin as the season progresses if he pushes his way into the No. 2 role at tailback.

Quote:

Record prediction for the season

Still torn between 8-4 and 7-5. It's just a REALLY tough schedule this time around with the three straight SEC road games in October and Clemson and Bama in September. To reach 8, the Ags will have to stay healthy because there are several positions where A&M simply doesn't have the depth to withstand an injury or two without a significant drop off.

Quote:

Are you going to try out for Big Brother or The Bachelor next season?

Highly doubtful...I mean, what would you guys do if i had to be sequestered on one of those shows for a couple of months without any 'Ask Liucci' threads.

Quote:

What's a more important improvement - The OL or the DL

It's really tough to separate the two. The Ags were as bad at running the ball when they had to last year as they were at stopping it. I might lean towards saying the DL because the offensive front will get a lot more 'built-in' help this year with a more friendly scheme and tight end help, while the d-line has a frightening lack of depth and experience at end.

Quote:

Do you expect the defense to end up in the top 50 in total defense?

Somehow, someway, yes. I believe Elko figures out a way to get it done.

Quote:

What asst. coach do you think is making the biggest impact on this team?

So many that seem to be really shaking things up but I'll go with Elko or Schmidt. As far as non-coordinator assistants go, I really love the way Elijah Robinson seems to be getting something out of the DT group that we hadn't previously seen. Spoke at length with Daylon Mack about that on Sunday during the presser. He's a hell of a coach. What Mo Linguist has helped the Ags do on the recruiting front in the secondary is nothing short of sensational and the way Tim Brewster and Jay Graham havfe revamped their respective positions overnight has been eye-opening, as well.

Quote:

OL...better than last year? Will they be good enough to let Jimbo and Dickey run their offense?

Yes better than last year and yes good enough to run the offense. Still a concern at the open position but there are some quality options. See a couple of questions on down for a more in-depth answer.

Quote:

Has the feedback you've heard during camp so far changed your season outlook, good or bad?

Not really. It's been about what I expected.

Quote:

Always enjoy this feature. Much appreciated!

You're very welcome my friend!

Quote:

Will our OL make a successful transition to Jimbo's system? Or, will it take another couple of recruiting classes?

I think those inside the program are pleased with the Ags' progress up front. However, I think things will really take a turn for the better next fall, especially if McCoy returns. You'll return four starters up front led by a pair of talented tackles and an All-SEC and potential All-American senior on the inside. Tank, Luke and Co. will be in year two and ready to make their push and you'll have a four-man class coming in led by an instant impact guy in Kenyon Green. I could see Green starting as a true freshman like Jonah Williams, Luke Joeckel, Jake Matthews or Greg Little along with the returning four or perhaps even Tank or Luke forcing their way in, as well and a returning starter being unseated. Now THAT'S when you're talking about being where you want to be in the SEC and that would be with the 2020 class getting ready to sign and a loaded 2021 group probably being assembled by the Ags at that point as well. Long story short, in one calendar year, the position (and pipeline) could look as good as it has in a long, long time.

Quote:

W - L projection for 2018 (regular season)

See above. I'll have my official prediction during Northwestern State game week.

Quote:

Name a player that you would project as a good opportunity for this coaching staff to close with in the 2019 Recruiting Class on February NSD.

Kind of hit on this one throughout the thread. I fully expect Fisher and Co. to either land a total stud from OOS (either or the current list or even someone we're not talking about yet...remember no one was talking about Bogle as an option until I mentioned he was a likely visitor last month) or steal a high-profile commit away from a rival school before all is said and done. They're recruiting on that elite type of level where stuff like that typically happens and there is enough behind the scenes to convince me it will happen eventually.

Quote:

Cedric Collins and Jay Bradford - injured but were kept on scholarship
are they still with the team and helping in any capacity? Did A&M get good credit for treating them so well despite their career ending injuries?

I don't know what kind of credit A&M got and I'm not sure they sought any for it. Sumlin always did a very good job when it came to those types of situations and I know Collins was around the program throughout his tenure.

Quote:

Does Jimbo allow Freshmen to speak to the media? Sumlin obviously didn't and I like that rule..

I'm not positive but I don't believe he does. Think I asked that question during the off-season and was told he doesn't.

Quote:

How good do you think our OL will be this year? How has Dan Moore and Green looked? I think the success is mainly dependent on those two

I agree to an extent but think shoring up that final spot on the inside is actually the most important. Green and Moore can get tight end help and showed plenty of promise last fall as true freshmen. I REALLY like what I've seen from Green and those inside the program are high on Moore's progress. If there's a weakness that can exploited on the inside, however, we're talking about something that would prove VERY problematic against Clemson and in SEC play.

Quote:

Which of these recruits do we have the best chance of landing: Khris Bogle, Ishmael Sopsher, Nakobe Dean, and Garrett Wilson?

Really not sure which one I'd pick out of that group. None are great shots, all are guys the Ags are absolutely in the running for. I'd say Dean because Sopsher is still likely Bama or LSU-bound IMO and Wilson will stick with OSU if they keep Urban and it's not like A&M has aggressively targeted the OSU pledge yet. Bogle really intrigues me but I'll wait until after that official to start to think the Ags have a real shot. With that said, I'll go with Dean. Peveto and the Ags are still banging away there, he really enjoyed his first visit to College Station and he'll return for an official.

Quote:

Also, what's our biggest strength on defense besides the defensive tackle position?

I'd say it's at safety, no question. Dono is a legit All-SEC caliber player, Tucker has a chance to be that eventually and he's already a pretty impactful guy back there and Leon is going to be a elite once he cracks the lineup. Experienced backups and an underrated talent in Carper make that a heck of a position this fall.

Quote:

Blessing in Disguise that Clemons got hurt and pushed Keke to DE ? Can Keke thrive out there ?

Not sure I'd call it that if you don't have him available for Clemson and Bama or if he's slowed any deeper into SEC play. But, yes, I do think Kingsley can be pretty damned effective and disruptive at end, especially against the run. Still, Clemons brings a ton of length and athleticism to the position and that's certainly needed on the edge and in the way of rushing the passer.

Quote:

will we see 12th Man Jesus take a more prominent role at Kyle Field this year? or at least be recognized about the same? loved it

No idea. I'm a big fan of it but sometimes wonder if it's not better to leave it organic because it's pretty damn epic the way it is.

Quote:

will we be announcing any more future out of conference games or are we filled up far enough now?

I wouldn't expect anything soon. They're pretty booked up for the time being and I usually hear about these things ahead of time (like way before any announcements are made) and haven't heard anything. I know the Ags had reached out of Penn State prior to the ASU announcement but the Nittany Lions decided a home-and-home with A&M wasn't what they were looking for for whatever reasons. IMO, the only hole is Colorado those two years if the Buffs are a bottom-tier Pac program at the time. The Ags should be ready to compete for a playoff spot sometime around 2020 and 2021 (Year Three and Four under Jimbo) and CU and Fresno in '20 and really just CU in '21 might need some slight beefing up if possible. Other than that, I LOVE what A&M has done with their scheduling and, to be honest, it really doesn't matter when it comes to that stuff, however, unless it was a situation of trying to be the second SEC team to get in. Even then, you'd have faced Bama, Auburn, LSU, the Mississippi schools, South Carolina and probably UGA in Atlanta.

Quote:

Odds that the first play of the season is going to be a pass to the TE?

I wouldn't bet against it. That or a Trayveon Williams run with a fullback leading the way.

Quote:

Who will be this year's hot commodity G5 coach, and who takes him?

I could see it being Neal Brown (Troy) again and obviously Kiffin is going to be a No. 1 target of many. Just trying to see think of who the guys are who are going to be in the market after so much turnover this past season. Kiffin to LSU if things get out of hand in Baton Rouge? No way, right? Right???

Quote:

After watching Quartney Davis in fall camp, you are expecting him to have a __????___ catch type of season.

Well, hes really emerged for all of about a week now, so I don't want to get carried away. If he continues on his current path, however, and emerges as a full-time starter, I could see him competing with Sternberger for No. 2 on the receptions chart behind only Ausbon. Still a ways to go before Q gets there but he's doing enough to make it a legitimate topic of discussion and a real possibility.

Quote:

I know both say LB next to their name, but can you look to see if RJ Orebo and Tarian Lee are being recruited for rover, one of the two ILB spots(mike/buck), or the WDE/OLB hybrid role?

Here's the thing, that's not always something that the staff is going to specifically define to a linebacker recruit during the process because, as you've heard Jimbo state already, those guys are going to have to learn to play at least two if not all three in today's world because those lines are so blurred due to the offenses you're facing. Sure, I don't see RJ ever manning the middle and he'll certainly be used on the edge as much as possible once he fills out that incredibly intriguing frame and Lee certainly looks to fit the part of 'rover' because he's a little on the light side (though I could see him filing out and being a pretty thick if not tall guy who can mix it up just fine in the middle) but I don't think it really matters. I'll double check again though.

Quote:

Do you see us trying to add a juco or transfer LB for 2019?

Maybe a transfer at some point along the way if the right one comes along and I think they've flirted with the idea of a JUCO 2019 signing (Kuony Deng was a possibility) but I don't think it's going to happen due to lack of space so obviously not considered a priority over some other needs.

Quote:

Aside from Head Coach, which coordinator or position coach is the biggest upgrade?

Upgrade? I think Brewster when it comes to teaching the position (insert joke of not having a teacher there...Banks isn't known as a strong TEs coach but he was outstanding with special teams and the Ags really didn't use the tight end anyway). But my answer would probably be Elijah Robinson over David Turner and Hagan before him and Mike Elko over Chief. Tremendous upgrades at each spot.

Quote:

What's the biggest difference between last years fall camp and this years?

Physicality and intensity. Also how hard the guys are being pushed. Night and day difference in those areas.

Quote:

Who is the number 1 player on offense and defense that we can't afford to lose for us to reach exceed 8 wins.

Offense? Trayveon or Erik McCoy. Defense? Dodson or maybe even Durham due to lack of depth and a proven pass rusher at end.

Quote:

We all know that beating Clemson and LSU will be the highlights of a season and will affect the narrative revolving around Jimbo's hire. (On a national level that is). Conversely, how much will it set us back if we fall to them? If it does at all?

Well those two games are different. Clemson is week two following a coaching change and they're likely the No. 2 team in the country at that point. No one - and I mean almost literally no one - is expecting the Ags to win (except I guess Athlon). The LSU game at home to end the season (when the Ags should be a much better team if they can hold up physically)? Well that's different and could go a LONG way - combined with a bowl win - towards shaping the narrative heading into 2019 and beyond that the Aggies are ready to explode onto the scene. UGA did it much the same way to end Smart's first year (beating Kenny Hill and TCU in a bowl). Also, LSU is a very big game for many reasons but what if the Ags lose to LSU but win two out of three against South Carolina, State and Auburn? It's the big-picture and not just knocking off Ed O and the Bengals.

Quote:

IOW, There has been lots of discussion about what would make the '18 season a success. What would make the season a failure?

What would make it a failure? If a starting quarterback doesn't emerge as someone who generates a lot of hope over the coming two seasons (when everything else around him is likely to stack up VERY nicely) and if the Ags don't win a couple of quality games along the way or come together and get better as the season progresses. If all of those things happened, it would be a disappointing first season.

Quote:

How much damage did OU do to itself with the Jeffrey Carter bashing that was dished out from across the Sooner universe? Does stuff like that have any staying power in the minds of recruits deliberating between the two programs?

I don't think every kid in the state saw it, some did and it won't phase them and others maybe it will. However, it definitely caught the eye of some Texas high school coaches, the Aggies could and I believe SHOULD use that with future DBs they're recruiting against OU for and, more than anything else, when Scooby is on campus in College Station, you can bet he'll talk about his experience with state of Texas prospects that he hits it off with that the Aggies bring in. It's not devastating to OU by any means (we tend to blow these things up a little) but it was certainly a bad look that could eventually cost them a head-to-head or two down the road.

Quote:

Do you think Trey Brown will be ready by Clempsum since Keke might be manning the DE position?

Well, Tre (Bobby) has been working at end along with Keke so I think it's more likely that it will be those two manning the spot at least until Clemons gets back (and he will be back). If I were guessing today, I'd say I could see Brown staying at end all season and, yes, I do think he'll be ready to be a significant contributor from day one, including Clemson.

Quote:

Torchys or Fuego?

Fuego for me but for some reason I always forget to go there during the day. It's a definite late-night must for those of you coming in town for a game who are too old to remember it from college but still young enough to go out and enjoy some time at the bars after a game.

Quote:

What do you see as the next major piece of infrastructure Jimbo decides to add to our facilities?

Not really sure on this one. It might be upgrades to the academic center if those haven't happened already. I'll have to ask, but I do know that's something very important to him and something he lobbied hard for at FSU.

Quote:

Win loss prediction for @USC, @MSU, and @ Aub?

Tough, tough stretch of games. I think 1-2 and a 3-2 SEC stretch with those plus Arky and Kentucky would put the Ags in a good position to really surprise everyone with a 5-3 SEC finish if they could close beating Ole Miss and LSU at Kyle Field to close things out. Need to win the ones they're evenly-matched or better than and the path to 8 wins includes winning one of those three road games plus the Bayou Bengals Thanksgiving weekend.

Quote:

How good will Trevor Wood be this year?

He'll be vitally important to the A&M offense because of what he brings to the table in terms of their two TE looks (something I imagine we will see a lot of). Will help the staff get the most out of Sternberger's versatility, will help the two young offensive tackles and, at 6-5, 260 should help a great deal in the running game (he's already proving to be a good blocker). As far as Trevor himself goes, I think he's an NFL talent at tight end thanks to his combination of size and athleticism. the dude can REALLY run for a man his size and has very soft hands. He's a chain-mover and red zone weapon in this offense who can also get vertical when you're not expecting it. Tough coverage assignment and a valuable one-year addition for Fisher and Brewster.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Why would LSU still want him after he wins 11 games in 2 seasons at aggy?

Exactly this.  Where is he going to jump ship to, after last season and what coming this season?   Any program who could come near the insane aggy money won't, and those that would offer probably won't get much past 1/2 the $75M he has guaranteed.   

He has his MNC, he will never be Saban, so why would he not stick with the $75M early retirement?  He probably buys a house on the coast with a big fishing rig tied to the dock, and a helo to buzz into CS for game day.  Actually he'll probably just borrow one from an aggy falling over themselves to give him a ride.  

On second thought, aggy wrote the contract so he probably hasn't signed it because he has his attorneys polishing it up so he can leave next year AND take the $75M with him while he goes to coach somewhere with more talent/history and less crazy/weirdo. 

I would actually have some respect for the cuck if he burned them down with <4 wins, took $75M and left for a division rival.   That's the kind of shit dreams are made of. 

8 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Nail meet head.  At $75m time is more limited.  Jimbo realistically has 4 years to a 9 win season and 5 to a 10 win season.    But to watch the dashed expectations over the next few years from the homers is going to be glorious.

And the thing is, they've set the bar so high - 75 mil, "we're going to win one or more MNCs - that even being better than they traditionally have been won't be good enough.  If they somehow started going 10-3, which for them would be awesome, it's still going to be viewed as a failure by their fanbase while the rest of the country laughs at them.