Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

I noticed months ago that several coaches at Arizona had started following A&M players on twitter. Not just the coaches that were previously at A&M. They already landed that walk-on backup center and tried to land Nick Harvey. 

It's pretty obvious Sumlin is trying to poach players off the A&M roster. 

I can't wait to see aggys reaction if he steals another player or two. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I noticed months ago that several coaches at Arizona had started following several A&M players on twitter. Not just the coaches that were previously at A&M. They already landed that walk-on backup center and tried to land Nick Harvey. 

Otherwise called "the Brick Haley Maneuver"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I noticed months ago that several coaches at Arizona had started following A&M players on twitter. Not just the coaches that were previously at A&M. They already landed that walk-on backup center and tried to land Nick Harvey. 

I can't believe Sumlin hasn't poached Mond yet. 

I don't have time for this much bullshit. 

Spoiler

Liucci

4:06p, 7/12/18

Staff

AG

Quote:

Spiller is the next expected commit?

I would say so, yes. After that, my guess is Jeffery Carter but someone like Stripling should be on commitment watch as the season approaches, as well. I'm also expecting a surprise (as in timing not a name out of left field) between now and the start of camp. Too many guys out there giving the Ags a very serious look and A&M and some of the schools they are recruiting against for these high-profile guys beginning to fill up pretty quickly.

Quote:

Stripling commitment timeline? Does he still have officials to take? 

Right now he seems to be wrestling with the idea of taking a couple of officials early in the fall or perhaps just ending the process. He's been an A&M lean for a LONG time now and, like I said in the first answer, spots are filling up quickly and he knows and understands that. If you're asking me to make a prediction, I think he pops prior to his senior season.

Quote:

Can you give 3 adjectives that represent the differences you see around the program since the coaching change! 

Let me just give you a few words that I see a lot more of today than previously: Focus, commitment, passion, desire, hunger and an eagerness to see what lies ahead. Perhaps the biggest difference I see is in terms of the day-to-day expectation level (players, coaches, staffers...literally everyone associated with the program) and overall accountability.

Quote:

How close do you believe Christian Harris is to announcing his decision? Summer guy or into the season? 

He's another one who could drop at any time or stretch things out. He's been really close to doing something once or twice this summer, but I could see him extending things out deeper into the fall. This one is tougher to call than say Stripling, Carter or Spiller.

Quote:

How is Johnny doing in Canada? Does he have a great shot at coming back to the NFL after his two years there? Thanks for the mid-July version of this! 

We shall see I guess. He really needs to like it there and is enjoy being a part of the team and in a QB room with an outstanding, offensive Xs and Os guy like June Jones. As far as the NFL is concerned, I'm just no longer sure. If he stays the course he'll absolutely get that shot. What I'd love to see him start thinking along the lines of is more "what about a nice little career in Canada and playing until you're 32 or 33 or so? Still young and with some good money made while spending six months a year up north (especially via endorsement deals)?" There are worse things for a football player and worse ways to spend your late 20s and early 30s. My concern is whether or not he has staying power in terms of this transition period and actually seeing it through while living in another country by himself after being surrounded by so many people for so long.

Quote:

Which of the scheduled P5 OOC opponents excites you the most? For me it's either CU or Miami 

Excluding Clemson, I guess, since it's upon us, I'd say both Miami and Notre Dame if they're both "up" when the time arrives that the Aggies meet them on the field. Those are two of the more storied programs in college football. Between the Irish, The U and Clemson, we're really talking about non-conference games that are about as good as it gets. What's interesting to me is that the Ags have played ND and Miami (and Clemson and ASU and Colorado, for that matter) since 2000. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't like to see things mixed up at least a little bit. Big Ten foe maybe? I have it on good authority that the Ags did, in fact, try to land a game against a high-profile B1G opponent this off-season (for a future home-and-home) but that power program ultimately decided against it, and the folks at A&M who work to arrange such games were forced to look in a different direction. ASU is perfectly fine, and it's a badass road trip for A&M fans in September.

Quote:

Prediction for finish of recruiting class ranking? We talking top 5? Or top 10? 

I'd say definitely top 10 and probably somewhere in the top 6 or so. I know a lot of people have tried to crunch the numbers and speculate, which is fun, but I also think we might actually be UNDERestimating the potential finish for a staff that has flexed so much muscle so early and without any home games or noteworthy wins to show for it during their one off-season in College Station. These guys are big-game hunters, they're closers, and they're absolutely tireless. It's going to result in a big surprise or two between now and NSD and several four-stars who are currently leaning the Ags' way. When you look at Herman and Texas and what they did after going 6-6 during the reg season last year with a coach without 1/10 the resume/reputation of Jimbo Fisher, imagine what the new A&M staff will be able to do if the Ags were finish something like 9-4 with wins over LSU at home and in a bowl to close out season 1? Top 6, maybe higher.

Quote:

Any chance with Shepard?

I guess you could say the Ags have a puncher's chance, but I believe Texas did all they needed to do to secure this one a while back. This one is just like Joseph Ossai's recruitment, IMO, and I think it will have a similar ending (Javonne to the Horns).

Quote:

If you could ask Trump one question, what would it be? 

"Why twitter?" or "Why'd you get out of the Miss USA business???"

Quote:

How's Johnny adapting to the CFL? 

See above. Hearing good things in terms of how he's fitting into the team and in the locker room, and he's adjusting to the game quickly. Problem is Masoli is a returning starter, is completely comfortable with the game and is playing very well.

Quote:

I know it's early, But do you get the feeling jimbo likes the 2018 class more than the rankings say? 

Still too early, but I'm not sure I'd say that. I don't think they've been overly surprised by it, and it's probably a group that's rated about where it should have been. Some instant-impact guys, a lot of quality and depth at RB, solid mix of linemen some of whom need a year or so to develop and a couple who are ready and very light in the back seven.

Quote:

Roster numbers: is jimbo expecting a ton of attrition or is he just saying to heck With it, we have too many needs and I'm going to make it work regardless? 

He's a new coach at a power program. I think something like ten guys have already left Nebraska under Frost. It happens everywhere and will end up happening here to some degree. I think any new head coach understands that and recruits knowing it is going to happen. Otherwise, the Ags would be signing something in the range of 17 this year, which obviously isn't the case.

Quote:

which group as a unit will have the most improvement on it, from where they were last year. OL,DB, QB, DL, etc..? on field production

Prior to spring ball, I might have said DB, and I'm still not ruling that out. Believe it or not, however, I might say offensive line. Year two with Turner back at the helm, a little more depth and a system more conducive to that group enjoying success against their league opponents. I think it's going to be rough sledding early, and the unit will take it's lumps (most of us watched as Clemson sacked Jarrett Stidham 11 times last fall and then there's Bama at Bryant-Denny) but it's worth noting that my sources tell me that the staff was pleasantly surprised with the OLs performance during spring ball. D-line is interesting, as well, because of the chance that some of the big guys could slide outside and play DE if need be and because Mike Elko's Notre Dame D played with such a damned physical edge last fall during his first year in South Bend.

Quote:

Do the Lakers make the playoffs next year, knowing that a 46 win team in the west did not.

I just cannot imagine LBJ leading a team through an 82-game regular-season and his squad not finishing among the top 8 out of 16. Hell, maybe it's the Spurs who fall off of a cliff and make room for the Lakers, especially if Kawhi is gone.

Quote:

Which newcomers will have the biggest impact on the upcoming football season? 

Good question. I'm not sure which tailback or two it will be, but I'll go with one of the bigs (Strong or Jackson) and Corbin. I think both Preston and Chapman will quickly factor in to the passing game as guys who could push to start opposite Ausbon. Both Sternberger and Wood. On defense, I think we're talking Bobby Brown and probably one other DE (Wright or Martin, IMO) and Leon O'Neal.

Quote:

Who has impressed the most this summer?

Of the returnee/veterans, names that consistently come up at guys like Trayveon Williams, Tyrel Dodson, Jace Sternberger, Trevor Wood, Erik McCoy, Kellen Mond, Nick Starkel, Roshauud Paul and Landis Durham. Newcomers? Bobby Brown, Max Wright, Charles Strong and Leon O'Neal get mentioned quite a bit.

Quote:

Who takes snap 1 at QB this fall? 

Your guess is as good as mine and probably almost as good as Jimbo's at this point. Mond made a strong push during the second half of spring. Not to pass Starkel, mind you, but to make think the battle won't be decided until about ten days into camp and even then will leave Jimbo with a very difficult decision on which way to go with it.

Quote:

What is the LB outlook for the team this year and recruiting?

For starters, depth is a serious concern. You didn't sign a single LB and Santino Marchiol has transferred out and is heading to Arizona to follow former IMG teammate Robert Congel and Coach Sumlin and primary recruiter Noel Mazzone. That leaves Dodson, Alaka, Johnson and Hines plus a converted safety (Okeke) and some walk-ons. Needless to say, Okeke is an important piece of the depth puzzle, which is why his late spring progress turns out to be pretty encouraging. I think the starting three will be solid with Tyrel being an All-SEC candidate. The interesting part could be seeing Alaka at MIKE and Dodson playing some more OLB than we saw last year. He looked good moving around in the spring in a little more space. Hines or Johnson making pretty significant strides of the spring (Johnson was injured but will be good to go for camp) would seem to be an absolute must, right? Unless that happens, it's tough to see this group rate in the top half of the SEC.

Quote:

Any word on how the older players are responding to the different style of Jimbo versus Sumlin?

I'll tell you this much (and I know there's a forum here that will mock this statement because it's positive and therefore not "telling it like it is"...you know, loser rhetoric that I'll never cave or give in to for as long as my name is on this website) but the response has been overwhelming in terms of how fired up the veteran players are about the manner in which they are being coached and pushed by the assistants and S&C coaches. That's especially true for how they are being handled and coached by Fisher himself. Before he ever even got here, a source very close to Coach Fisher told me two things: That he'd be the perfect fit at A&M in terms of his style and personality and that his players typically love him and can take tough coaching because they know how much he cares. That's why guys - team leaders, mind you - like Dodson, Starkel, Mond, Keke, Mack, McCoy, Sutherland and Williams have embraced the new demands as much and as quickly as they have.

Quote:

Any word on Brian Johnson (i.e. is he going to be a Rover or Safety)?

I'll have to double-check on that one, but that plan has been for him to play rover all along.

Quote:

What's the general feeling among the players since Jimbo's arrival and change in culture?

See above. I'll also let you guys in on this: The players are still adjusting to the off-season demands per insiders, but the thing that has the staff so encouraged is that as a team, this is a group that really wants to do things the right way and desperately wants to learn what it takes to prepare at a championship level. They're a hungry group of kids even if they still haven't quite "gotten it," which takes more than roughly 3/4 of one off-season.

Quote:

Also, what kind of program has Coach Schmidt had the players on this summer?

Not sure what you mean by that, but I will say that he's working them out with a lot more frequency than previous S&C coaches (as in most days) and they are, in fact, being pushed outside during the heat of the day oftentimes. Most of the players will tell you they feel ready to go out and play a game today and that they're in the best physical shape of their careers. Before you voice any "peak too early" or "wear them out" concerns, I'd say go back and look at how Fisher's Florida State teams typically finished (they were very good down the stretch and in November) and also do the same for Schmidt's OU squads, which have typically performed very well in bowls.

Quote:

Cabo this year?

Already went. Miami next weekend, Bahamas (I've actually never been) just before fall camp and I want to squeeze in either a trip out west or to Toronto for a Fri-Sun trip in August.

Quote:

Another random question: how does A&M handle traffic and parking for the Thursday night season opener? They aren't releasing classes early, and this is jimbos first game as coach. A lot of parking that's used for game day will still have students there. Sounds like a recipe for gridlock.

That I'm not sure of. I'm sure as game day approaches, we'll have some pertinent info to pass along to the masses.

Quote:

With all the new buildings and development around the campus and in the area in general, how do you as an "old Ag" view the changes, both positive and negative? Do you think that the region can maintain the charm of being (relatively) smaller college town, while also offering the larger city amenities (better restaurants,, hotels, etc)?

I don't think the restaurants and hotels really interfere. It just is what it is. Like any smaller town or community (or business or family, for that matter) things evolve over time and typically grow and get larger. They change. It's inevitable. Texas A&M probably changing at a more accelerated rate than at any time in her history but, like you, I know this place well enough to know that the Spirit, the principles (or Core Values as they've come to be known) the university stands for and the family feel are set in stone - and so ingrained in everyone who wears the Ring, present and future - that the Spirit of Aggieland will never change.

Quote:

Thanks for your time and insights. 

You're very welcome but be careful thanking me...you might draw the ire of the Websider community for such a transgression!

Quote:

Who emerges as our RB2 behind Williams?

Too early to call that one but I think we'll ultimately see two of the true freshman sharing that load. Kind of tackled that topic a few questions up if you're looking for specifics.

Quote:

Do you think James Foster will redshirt? 

Yes, I believe he'll redshirt, but he'll be thrust right into the August competition along with the other three signal-callers.

Quote:

My in laws bought me the sec ready dvd when it came out....long story short they lost it and just found it about a month ago. I opened it up and saw a one month free Texags coupon haha......what's the odds I can still cash that coupon in? 

Haha you're more than welcome to cash that in. Contact Gabe via DM, and he'll get you set up.

Quote:

Thanks for doing these Looch! One of my favorite things about Texags!

Glad you guys enjoy them so much.

Quote:

Typically when a prized recruit picks a team that is not your team, many scream that the player was paid off from the opposing team. You see it on our boards as well as other teams boards. How much of that do you think it exists in today's recruiting or is it purely spilt milk.

Oh, I don't think it's always sour grapes and it absolutely goes on and is more prevalent at certain power programs. Sometimes, those teams will get caught and it's usually the arrogant head coach who thinks he's fooling the public or smarter than everyone else who gets himself in trouble.

Quote:

How long before we see a Wrecking Crew defense again?

I've said this before but I'm not sure the college game will result in us seeing too much 'Wrecking Crew' style - the stuff we saw from A&M in the 90s and 90s - again. I mean, even the great Nick Saban/Alabama defenses have been carved up in ways that those defenses never were a couple of times per year it seems. How long until the Ags field one of the SEC's better defenses and something akin to some of the better ones Fisher put on the field at Florida State? I think you'll see monster jump in year two and I think they'll be there to stay in year three.

Quote:

Prediction of an OOS surprise commit (someone not routinely discussed currently )? I know it is early, but why not...

If I were going to pick one, I guess it would be Adisa Isaac. He's A&M or Penn State right now and deciding in the next month. I still think it's going to be pretty tough to pull him away from the Nittany Lions, but the Ags have gone 'all in' on this one so if there's a big surprise, I think he's it, at least as far as the near future. Down the road? Who knows, I get the feeling it might be someone we're not even talking about yet.

Quote:

Do you think we have a QB transfer on our hands depending on who gets the starting job?

I'm not ready to go there yet. Probably after the season considering there are three guys who will have been here multiple seasons but I think the battle in fall camp will be close enough that it would be pretty tough for either Starkel or Mond to decide to bail when they know they'd be one injury (see last year for a pretty decent, familiar example) or a couple of bad performances away from starting for an SEC team under a coach who churns out NFL First Rounders at the position. After the season? That would probably be a different conversation.

Quote:

Besides beer, what is the one addition you'd like to see from Kyle Field food vendors?

Well I typically don't get to eat during games so I'm not the right person to ask. But beer. A Shiner stand around every corner and taps in every suite sounds like a good place to start!

Quote:

Fish and Summer Work-out updates?

Read throughout this Q&A session and you'll see plenty of info on that topic.

Quote:

How many early entrees do we have, December grads?

I'll have to go back and check on that.

Quote:

How many early entrees can we take?

And this answer will be dependent on your first one. I think the number is somewhere around six that can count back to last year.

Quote:

Where's Adisa Isaac going?

See above. I THINK Penn State but the Ags still have a very real shot here and are right in the thick of things with the #1 player in New York and an instant-impact SEC pass-rusher. Reminds me of Bama's Tim Williams or Arden Key before he got fat and lazy.

Quote:

Who's the biggest commit we will get this year that isn't already committed?

Like I said, I think there will be a wild card addition but as far as 'stars' or 'ranking' goes, I'll say Dylan Wright or Jeffery Carter.

Quote:

How do you think receiver pans out this season as far as top 4 contributors?

Pretty wide open outside of Ausbon but I'll go with Paul in the slot plus Jalen Preston and Cam Buckley as the season progresses. Kendrick Rogers and Caleb Chapman will be significant contributors, as well, with Champan already beginning to turn heads during summer work.

Quote:

Realistically in your opinion, or based on talking with your sources inside the program, how much improvement can the O-line make this year?

See above.

Quote:

Favorite board game?

It's been too long. I need to hang out with a more chill crowd to be able to answer that (or get into a serious enough relationship that we start doing 'game nights'...even though I did watch the movie Game Night for a 'Netflix and chill' evening in Dallas last week. Does that count? I'll go with Monopoly, I guess because it's the only one I really remember. What about Connect 4? I'm pretty much a master at that one. Definitely not scrabble.

Quote:

With Jimbo coming coming to Texas A&M. Do you see high school coaches changing their offenses from pass happy/ aired to more of a pro offense?

Oh I'm not really sure about that. That usually happens when things are really trending one way or the other nationally.

Quote:

Jimbo's tenure at A&M will be a success if he accomplishes _____________________?

Turning Texas A&M into a legitimate top-10 college football program and a perennial SEC title and playoff contender. The two really go hand-in-hand and a couple of playoff berths and an SEC title along the way if the tenure is 10 years or more. Lofty goals? Yes but that's what he knew when he signed on for this. He has embraced the challenge from day one. Stoops, Dabo, Nick, Urban and Jimbo at FSU have all done it.Hell, even Gus has had Auburn in one national title game and two SEC title games in six seasons and I wouldn't say the Tigers are a top-10 program at this time so it's no an unrealistic goal. Expectations are incredibly high, much as they are for guys like Harbaugh at Michigan and even Dan Mullen at Florida.

Quote:

What is a major issue that you saw in Sumlin's tenure that Jimbo has already addressed in his first few months as our head coach?

Physicality at practice and the expectation that everyone inside the program is working for a championship and nothing less.

Quote:

When do you actually sleep? How many hours on average?

Usually around 7 hours. I'm usually like a 1:30-8:30 person.

Quote:

Seems like you are always on the go...just wonder how you get everything done.

I don't.

Quote:

Which non-coaching football hire has you most excited, and are there anymore possible hires before the season starts?

Several to choose from but I have to go with Jerry Schmidt. I'm not expecting any more hires before the season.

Quote:

Sounds like Hop is on the hot seat.....that's a question.

That's not a question and no, he's not.

Quote:

If you were driving cross country with Olin, Gabe, and Brauny: who drives, who navigates, who gets radio control, and who picks the topics of conversation?

I drive. Gabe navigates and I might actually let Brauny handle the music if he steers clear of trying to get too cute. Olin definitely picks the conversation topics. Gabe drives like a 97-year old and I feel like OB might be prone to road rage..

Quote:

Hop thought Mond would start this year. Is it really that bad at the quarterback position? I was not at all impressed with his throwing ability last year against a meaningful opponent.

Well Fisher and Dickey were impressed with what they saw from him this spring so there's that. I think folks forget that Kellen - and Nick, too, for that matter - were playing their first season of college football last fall. In Mond's case, he was a true freshman just out of high school and playing behind a pretty shaky offensive line against elite SEC defenses. Pretty damned tall order so I think trying to judge him on that is insanely premature. All three of the returnees - and I realize the focus has been on the two guys who played last year - are still insanely inexperienced and just began playing under the guidance of one of the best in the college game when it comes to developing passers. Still way too early to call but no one inside of Bright - or yours truly - would be at all surprised to see either Nick or Kellen start.

Quote:

First, thanks to you and the staff for such great coverage on the recruiting front these past few months. The amount and depth of coverage by you guys is outstanding. I think I am truly addicted to TexAgs! (Glad it wasn't around in the early 80s. My grades would have suffered!!!!!)

Haha thanks so much! Kind of concerning to read your statement and think about how many A&M students have come up to me around town and thanked me for the free student subscription. Makes me wonder how much we're contributing to destroying GPAs around Aggieland!

Quote:

I am really looking forward to the upcoming football season. What intrigues me the most is the change I anticipate in toughness that Coach Fisher and staff will instill in our team. I will be very happy to not have our annual November let downs. In prior year's, I thought the coaching staff did not have the player's prepared for the grueling November schedules. I know that it is too early to visually see the potential changes in toughness, but what are you hearing on the team's mental and physical toughness development during the summer?

I've talked about it somewhere else in the Q&A but have since lost track. Your answer can be found where I'm talking about working out in the heat of the day, more frequently and where the players are telling me they're ready to start the season now from a physical standpoint.

Quote:

Second, what one area on offense and one area on defense worries you the most going into fall camp?

Offense: It's still the offensive line for me and also receivers stepping up as actual playmakers.
Defense: Cornerback and the defensive ends holding up against the run.

Quote:

Thanks for doing these Q&As. They are one of the many great things about TexAgs!

You're welcome brother.

Quote:

Chances for Wright?

I'd say the Ags have a very good shot here but there is still work to do. Texas and Bama will give the Ags a real run but I think at the end of the day, A&M wins out due in large part to Coach Fisher's personal involvement.

Quote:

Is Wydermeyer a priority in this class?

Absolutely and he probably will be until Signing Day. He's a guy the Aggies freaking love and seem to consider a potential game-changer. He and Cupp would be the dream 1-2 at tight end and the need is definitely there to sign two this time around or it becomes an absolute must to do so next year.

Quote:

Looking at 2021's Preston Stone - what are your thoughts about this kid?

Little too early for me to jump all in with a quarterback quite that young but he looks like a really, really good one..

Quote:

Looch, I know that you'll do your "official" record prediction sometime before the first game, but I was wondering what your "knee-jerk" reaction to /prediction of this season's record after all the changes in principles and principal at Aggie football. Naturally, your answer will be written in "pencil" until your official prediction. I was just trying to gauge your level of optimism for this season. I think most of us on TexAgs are really pumped and optimistic! Are we overly so? I mean our coach is one of a handful in the nation with a National Championship ring! (Whoop!)

First off, I think you and everyone else wearing Maroon & White should be sitting on about a 10 when it comes to excitement level over the Fisher hire and where the program is headed. Second, I'm currently marinating on 8-4 with wins over LSU at Kyle Field and in a bowl game to close out the season.

Quote:

Is it likely that we'll see no decommits this year? Recruiting momentum is probably stronger than Sumlins first season and that would be saying something because it was also this programs inaugural SEC season.

I think when you have 21 commits, it's tough to say it's 'likely' that the Ags - or any team in any season for that matter - will hang on to each and every one of them. That said, if you asked me about each of the 21 individuals, I'd say I like the Ags' chances to hang on to each. The bigger names who are leaving themselves open to suitors despite being solidly committed to A&M - guys like Leal - will be the ones Fisher and Co. really have to fight to hang on to but they proved last year that they're more than capable of doing so and have a hell of a lot more time spent with the prospects and momentum on their side this time around.

Quote:

Will the Dallas cowboys beat the Houston Texans this year?

Not if my dude Lech has anything to say about it! Honestly though, I think those are two teams that will be right there on the playoff fringe so it should be a pretty important game. I like Houston to win it with defense, though.

Quote:

How does a committable offer turn into a non-committable offer? Does the coach let the recruit know when that happens or does the recruit know that it can change at any time if the school receives another commit at his position?

See below.

Quote:

Compare/Contrast the S&C philosophy between old and new regime.

I'll go a little more in-depth at a later date but there's some stuff about some of the differences above. I also think this is the most talent-laden S&C staff I've ever seen at A&M and there isn't a close second. Probably four of these dudes will be head coaches at the P5 level in three years or less.

Quote:

How does this football staff compare to others you have covered as far as organization, work ethic or any other characteristic you think relevant?

No comparison in either one of those two areas or the level of accountability and a never-ending commitment to recruiting.

Quote:

Any major upgrades to facilities or things that Jimbo has requested in the works?

I'd have to ask that question specifically but I know the weight room has undergone a facelift and a track (for 40s and what not) is going in.

Quote:

Give us a Gabe story, a Brauny story, and a Hop story

More of an on-air question. Telling three funny stories would entail a hell of a lot of writing and I could just tell them in a matter of a couple of minutes!

Quote:

I know these non-conference matchups are setup so far but who could you possibly see us playing in the future in a home and home?

They're set up so far away that I really don't think anything is in the works. I do think there's a chance that if Colorado or Arizona State look like easy wins or bad games leading up to the contests that we could see A&M pop up in one of those start-of-season games one year but I think even those are starting to be set up a decent amount of time in advance. As I said earlier, I'd like to see the Ags go with a high-profile B1G foe, literally anyone from Ohio State or Michigan to Penn State (this is the one I was hoping to see) or even Wisconsin, Michigan State or even Nebraska. Heading out to the Pacific Northwest is a lot tougher to do and I think for the team's sake (and the grind of the schedule) playing to the east is a better idea. So probably more ACC/B1G foes. If they ever schedule anyone from the Big 12, I'd start and end with Oklahoma.

Quote:

Tell us one past recruiting story you've not been able to share but enough time has passed now that it will be ok

Save this one for another time because I'd have to sit back and think on it for a bit. There's a funny one Hop could share in regards to the Roy Williams recruitment way back when as we were attempting to compare notes over the phone the night before Signing Day but since this isn't a Q&A with Hop you guys are missing out on a good laugh 

Quote:

Do our coaches think LB is our weakest position group for 2018?

From a depth standpoint, probably so. But the starting three could be a solid group.

Quote:

Should people be surprised if Mond is named the starter or should he be considered the favorite to progress enough to start Game 1?

I honestly don't think it would be accurate (at all) to call either of the experienced QBs on the roster the favorite to win the job. No, I don't think anyone in the know would be surprised at all to see Kellen win the job. Same for Starkel. If it were either of the other two - Blumrick or the true freshman Foster - then that would have to qualify as something unexpected.

Quote:

What is your favorite John Wayne movie?

Rio Bravo for me. I'm a fan of Red River, too.

Quote:

What does it look like when "we" or Jimbo move on from a player who we have previously offered? Do we rescind the offer, verbally tell them the space isn't available? I don't think this has really been relevant before. But now that spaces are filling up and filling up quickly I think it's more relevant.

It really depends on the situation. If there's a chance that the young man is on the verge of a commitment (even if it's unclear of where that might be), the Ags will let said player know that he's essentially waited too long to accept the offer to play at TAMU.They had to do that with one or two guys earlier this year and those players have since committed elsewhere. Sometimes for the bigger programs, it's as simple as time having passed and the player not hearing from the school for weeks or even months. It's rare in that instance that a young man would ever try to commit to a school that hasn't reached out to him for any real length of time so it's essentially understood. IMO, it's always best to be out in front of it and just let the kid know either directly or subtly through his head coach if communication has just kind of dried up on both sides for any length of time. You don't want a situation like the one that happened with the four-star WR who tried to commit to ND this week. The position coach accepted, there was some miscommunication, Brian Kelly wasn't ready to take the kid's pledge and the assistant had to inform him he didn't have a spot. Not a good look and definitely something you can't ever risk happening with a Texas kid.

Sorry not sorry if you're one of those who can't handle a long answer or that was not 'to the point' enough for you. I prefer the words thorough and informative but what do I know, right?

Quote:

Project how many recruits sign with A&M in December and how many sign in February 2019.

Honestly, I have put a ton of thought (any, actually) into that just yet because I think a good majority of these kids are undecided but I'd bet the overwhelming majority sign early.

Quote:

Project when Coach Fisher names his QB 1.

Around 12 days into fall camp. I don't think it's an early thing but I also know he'd probably love to give one guy significantly more reps with the first team prior to the season with Clemson looming quickly in Week Two.

Quote:

Any concerns with getting 4 OL so early in the 2020 class, or are these guys just that dominant?

It's a pretty nasty group. I've been able to watch Bankhead, Chibuzo and Ogunbiyi in person at camp and Bankhead's head coach Lonnie Madison is a good friend who has been telling me about Josh for a year now. Jefferson is shorter but ridiculously powerful as an inside guy and has an enormous chip on his shoulder. I can tell you this much, Jim Turner is sold on the group and, boy, do Chibuzo and Akinola have the offer list to back it up. Look, if the Ags were to stay at four this year, there's no reason they couldn't add at least one more and maybe even two if they wanted to. We've seen them sign six DL in a class before and seen A&M and other programs go as high as six deep in a single DB haul, as well. Still room to maneuver, which is why I think they should cut things off at four this time around.

Quote:

Will Jimbo force the attrition needed to get to 85 by cutting scholarship athletes? How do you feel about this practice if it's the case?

See above where I talk about attrition. As is the case everywhere (I mentioned Nebraska losing 10 already), there are always going to be plenty of kids who either don't see themselves a fit in the new system or who are unable or unwilling to adjust to the demands of a new staff. In most instances, it's best for both parties. We'll see which members of the usual cast of pot-stirring characters decide to make it an issue when it happens everywhere, including Austin under Herman over the last 1.5 years a pace that's been hard to keep up with despite us hearing nary a peep about it.

Quote:

How many days a week are you in the Texags office?

Usually around three. This week, it'll be Wed-Thurs-Fri. Usually M-W-F. But it's typically for meetings, radio or before or after lunch just to stop in and talk to whoever I need to talk to (or to pick Dalton, OB, Gabe, Brandon or, yes, Hop up for lunch).

Quote:

How many times have you been there before 7am?

Hmmmm...that one's pretty easy. Signing Day every year when I roll in at about 6:58.

Quote:

What Netflix shows have you been watching lately? Bloodline, 7 Seconds and House of Cards are all awesome from what I've seen!

I've really been slacking but need to give Bloodline a watch and maybe Billions (is that one Showtime?). I've heard both are outstanding.

Quote:

With Clemson coming to Kyle in September, is there another OOC game that compares in recent memory?
Off the top of my head and talking about non-conference, I don't think there would have been a bigger game in at least thirty years.

Depending on how we perform early on, I think that game has a chance to provide a Top 5 most electrifying Game Day atmospheres all time at Kyle Field.

You're right about the whole 'depending on how we perform early on' part. Could you imagine what Kyle Field would be like - at night, no less - if the Aggies are locked in a tight game with Dabo's Tigers deep into the fourth quarter? And before you say it can't happen, Auburn played with them on the Plains two years ago (with D Watson at QB, mind you) down to the final snap. That was an 8-5 Auburn team that the Ags beat soundly at Jordan-Hare and with Jeremy Johnson finishing the game at quarterback, if memory serves. Yeah, that would be as an electric an atmosphere as you'd see in college sports.

Quote:

Will Jace Sternberger and Trevor Wood be the newcomers with the biggest impact?

As a tandem, yes. Tackled this one a little earlier in the thread and mention Jace a couple of questions from now.

Quote:

Will Jimbo be the first former Saban assistant to defeat him?

Hadn't thought of it but I'll actually say no. I think Kirby will get him this year and Jimbo next year at Kyle Field, with those being Bama's next two losses.

Quote:

Most underrated signing of the 2018 class?

Hmmmm...I'm going to go with either Jeremiah Martin because the dude has off-the-charts potential and fans didn't celebrate landing him over OU and UW nearly as much as they were shook up about losing Joseph Ossai, when I think they're players who are just about equal when talking about upside. Another would have been Jace Sternberger but that secret is already out so on offense I'll go with Jashaun Corbin. I really like his explosive nature with the ball in his hands.

Quote:

Will Hop post on this thread?

If I was him I would simply for shock value.

Quote:

Any idea why some of these Consol studs (Brian Darby, Nate Floyd, Devin Price) have flown under the radar so much? They've been showing out like crazy with the Texas Air Raid and in pads. I'm a CSHS guy so you know I'm not biased...haha

No need to say you're not biased. Those dudes are really good and getting better. They'll all be playing major P5 ball in the future. Add A&M commit Josh Ellison and recent Tech pledge Brandon Joseph to that local list, as you know. The area is pretty stacked this year and next.

Quote:

You ever have the chance to see the Texas Air Raid play? Those dudes have been leaving bodies all over the country. Beat FAST Houston, Cam Newton All-Stars, Bootleggers out of Louisiana, and many more. They're good

I haven't seen them play as a team but I've seen several of those dudes in camp or in other 7v7 action. Malik Hornsby is the real freaking deal (and already a top 2020 target for the Ags at QB) and Devin Price (Coach Price's son) looks better every time I see him. Brauny is the guy when it comes to knowing pretty much everything there is to know about the local talent on that team, as well.

Quote:

As always, thank you for doing this! What a unique and amazing feature.

Really appreciate you guys who support it and love it. It's pretty time consuming but it's a labor of love, that's for sure.

Quote:

What is T. Herman doing to try to avoid getting totally out recruited by Jimbo?

Honestly? They're working tirelessly on a spin campaign (and there are plenty of Texas fans reading this, listening to my every word and racing back to said spin doctors, who are then racing to their sources on the Longhorn staff and telling them what I say and it's pretty rich to watch it all unfold), going overtime in terms of negative recruiting directed at the Aggies, trying to push the narrative that A&M is ducking them on the field and, to be honest, doing a very good job of out of state, particularly out west. However, there's no two ways around the fact that the Ags are getting the best of the head-to-heads for in-state talent at this stage of the game, which is putting a LOT of pressure on Herman and the Horns to get it done on the field this fall in year two in Austin.

Quote:

Who is impressing in summer workouts? Or is that coming in a longer write up?

If you read this Q&A session pretty thoroughly there is going to plenty of all of that in here. It's why I waited until Thursday to post it.

Quote:

I can't believe it took this long for Hop to get a taste of what Brauny and Gabe deal with, but somehow it's still just right.

Nahhhh, this was different. Hop is fine by me and it's a non-issue. I do what I do for a reason and fully understand the reaction it's going to get on the boards. I realize those who don't like me (and also don't know me) are going to assume the worst out of me, or my management style or whatever else fits their narrative so they can add this question thread and the way I went about handling my business to their 'Liucci's a jerk' file. As for Brauny and Gabe? Wellllllll....

Quote:

So... Rian Davis?

I did actually check and didn't really get a concrete reason as to why he has never really been heavily targeted by the Ags. It's not because they overlooked him, I can promise you that. They're well aware of who he is and, as evidenced by the way they've recruited, have proven they can find players from coast to coast and from California to Florida to New York and all points in between.

Quote:

Can Kenyon Green be convinced to enroll early?

I'll double-check but not sure he's one right now.

Quote:

When is your next 'Carpooling with Looch" episode and who is on the list? Mike was a hit, so bring in a ringer.

Yeah, that's a really good question. We'll have to figure that out and I'm working with a pretty big-time sponsor for it that would tie in very nicely with the whole concept of an in-depth interview that is a lot different from what you normally see.

• Haha 1

"For starters, depth is a serious concern. You didn't sign a single LB and Santino Marchiol has transferred out and is heading to Arizona to follow former IMG teammate Robert Congel and Coach Sumlin and primary recruiter Noel Mazzone. That leaves Dodson, Alaka, Johnson and Hines plus a converted safety (Okeke) and some walk-ons. "

Texags confirmed Marchiol is transferring. This could be an absolutely dumpster fire if either Dodson or Alaka is injured. 

This shit is fucking hilarious. Looch is so full of crap. 

Honestly? They're working tirelessly on a spin campaign (and there are plenty of Texas fans reading this, listening to my every word and racing back to said spin doctors, who are then racing to their sources on the Longhorn staff and telling them what I say and it's pretty rich to watch it all unfold), going overtime in terms of negative recruiting directed at the Aggies, trying to push the narrative that A&M is ducking them on the field and, to be honest, doing a very good job of out of state, particularly out west. However, there's no two ways around the fact that the Ags are getting the best of the head-to-heads for in-state talent at this stage of the game, which is putting a LOT of pressure on Herman and the Horns to get it done on the field this fall in year two in Austin.

there are plenty of Texas fans reading this, listening to my every word and racing back to said spin doctors, who are then racing to their sources on the Longhorn staff and telling them what I say

If only our staff had internet access.  It would cut out all these middlemen.  Damn Belmont bureaucracy

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Sejjr said:

This shit is fucking hilarious. Looch is so full of crap. 

Honestly? They're working tirelessly on a spin campaign (and there are plenty of Texas fans reading this, listening to my every word and racing back to said spin doctors, who are then racing to their sources on the Longhorn staff and telling them what I say and it's pretty rich to watch it all unfold), going overtime in terms of negative recruiting directed at the Aggies, trying to push the narrative that A&M is ducking them on the field and, to be honest, doing a very good job of out of state, particularly out west. However, there's no two ways around the fact that the Ags are getting the best of the head-to-heads for in-state talent at this stage of the game, which is putting a LOT of pressure on Herman and the Horns to get it done on the field this fall in year two in Austin.

“No two ways around”?  I guess as long as there is one way around it, we should be fine. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

I don't have time for this much bullshit. 

Reveal hidden contents

Liucci

4:06p, 7/12/18

Staff

AG

Quote:

Spiller is the next expected commit?

I would say so, yes. After that, my guess is Jeffery Carter but someone like Stripling should be on commitment watch as the season approaches, as well. I'm also expecting a surprise (as in timing not a name out of left field) between now and the start of camp. Too many guys out there giving the Ags a very serious look and A&M and some of the schools they are recruiting against for these high-profile guys beginning to fill up pretty quickly.

Quote:

Stripling commitment timeline? Does he still have officials to take? 

Right now he seems to be wrestling with the idea of taking a couple of officials early in the fall or perhaps just ending the process. He's been an A&M lean for a LONG time now and, like I said in the first answer, spots are filling up quickly and he knows and understands that. If you're asking me to make a prediction, I think he pops prior to his senior season.

Quote:

Can you give 3 adjectives that represent the differences you see around the program since the coaching change! 

Let me just give you a few words that I see a lot more of today than previously: Focus, commitment, passion, desire, hunger and an eagerness to see what lies ahead. Perhaps the biggest difference I see is in terms of the day-to-day expectation level (players, coaches, staffers...literally everyone associated with the program) and overall accountability.

Quote:

How close do you believe Christian Harris is to announcing his decision? Summer guy or into the season? 

He's another one who could drop at any time or stretch things out. He's been really close to doing something once or twice this summer, but I could see him extending things out deeper into the fall. This one is tougher to call than say Stripling, Carter or Spiller.

Quote:

How is Johnny doing in Canada? Does he have a great shot at coming back to the NFL after his two years there? Thanks for the mid-July version of this! 

We shall see I guess. He really needs to like it there and is enjoy being a part of the team and in a QB room with an outstanding, offensive Xs and Os guy like June Jones. As far as the NFL is concerned, I'm just no longer sure. If he stays the course he'll absolutely get that shot. What I'd love to see him start thinking along the lines of is more "what about a nice little career in Canada and playing until you're 32 or 33 or so? Still young and with some good money made while spending six months a year up north (especially via endorsement deals)?" There are worse things for a football player and worse ways to spend your late 20s and early 30s. My concern is whether or not he has staying power in terms of this transition period and actually seeing it through while living in another country by himself after being surrounded by so many people for so long.

Quote:

Which of the scheduled P5 OOC opponents excites you the most? For me it's either CU or Miami 

Excluding Clemson, I guess, since it's upon us, I'd say both Miami and Notre Dame if they're both "up" when the time arrives that the Aggies meet them on the field. Those are two of the more storied programs in college football. Between the Irish, The U and Clemson, we're really talking about non-conference games that are about as good as it gets. What's interesting to me is that the Ags have played ND and Miami (and Clemson and ASU and Colorado, for that matter) since 2000. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't like to see things mixed up at least a little bit. Big Ten foe maybe? I have it on good authority that the Ags did, in fact, try to land a game against a high-profile B1G opponent this off-season (for a future home-and-home) but that power program ultimately decided against it, and the folks at A&M who work to arrange such games were forced to look in a different direction. ASU is perfectly fine, and it's a badass road trip for A&M fans in September.

Quote:

Prediction for finish of recruiting class ranking? We talking top 5? Or top 10? 

I'd say definitely top 10 and probably somewhere in the top 6 or so. I know a lot of people have tried to crunch the numbers and speculate, which is fun, but I also think we might actually be UNDERestimating the potential finish for a staff that has flexed so much muscle so early and without any home games or noteworthy wins to show for it during their one off-season in College Station. These guys are big-game hunters, they're closers, and they're absolutely tireless. It's going to result in a big surprise or two between now and NSD and several four-stars who are currently leaning the Ags' way. When you look at Herman and Texas and what they did after going 6-6 during the reg season last year with a coach without 1/10 the resume/reputation of Jimbo Fisher, imagine what the new A&M staff will be able to do if the Ags were finish something like 9-4 with wins over LSU at home and in a bowl to close out season 1? Top 6, maybe higher.

Quote:

Any chance with Shepard?

I guess you could say the Ags have a puncher's chance, but I believe Texas did all they needed to do to secure this one a while back. This one is just like Joseph Ossai's recruitment, IMO, and I think it will have a similar ending (Javonne to the Horns).

Quote:

If you could ask Trump one question, what would it be? 

"Why twitter?" or "Why'd you get out of the Miss USA business???"

Quote:

How's Johnny adapting to the CFL? 

See above. Hearing good things in terms of how he's fitting into the team and in the locker room, and he's adjusting to the game quickly. Problem is Masoli is a returning starter, is completely comfortable with the game and is playing very well.

Quote:

I know it's early, But do you get the feeling jimbo likes the 2018 class more than the rankings say? 

Still too early, but I'm not sure I'd say that. I don't think they've been overly surprised by it, and it's probably a group that's rated about where it should have been. Some instant-impact guys, a lot of quality and depth at RB, solid mix of linemen some of whom need a year or so to develop and a couple who are ready and very light in the back seven.

Quote:

Roster numbers: is jimbo expecting a ton of attrition or is he just saying to heck With it, we have too many needs and I'm going to make it work regardless? 

He's a new coach at a power program. I think something like ten guys have already left Nebraska under Frost. It happens everywhere and will end up happening here to some degree. I think any new head coach understands that and recruits knowing it is going to happen. Otherwise, the Ags would be signing something in the range of 17 this year, which obviously isn't the case.

Quote:

which group as a unit will have the most improvement on it, from where they were last year. OL,DB, QB, DL, etc..? on field production

Prior to spring ball, I might have said DB, and I'm still not ruling that out. Believe it or not, however, I might say offensive line. Year two with Turner back at the helm, a little more depth and a system more conducive to that group enjoying success against their league opponents. I think it's going to be rough sledding early, and the unit will take it's lumps (most of us watched as Clemson sacked Jarrett Stidham 11 times last fall and then there's Bama at Bryant-Denny) but it's worth noting that my sources tell me that the staff was pleasantly surprised with the OLs performance during spring ball. D-line is interesting, as well, because of the chance that some of the big guys could slide outside and play DE if need be and because Mike Elko's Notre Dame D played with such a damned physical edge last fall during his first year in South Bend.

Quote:

Do the Lakers make the playoffs next year, knowing that a 46 win team in the west did not.

I just cannot imagine LBJ leading a team through an 82-game regular-season and his squad not finishing among the top 8 out of 16. Hell, maybe it's the Spurs who fall off of a cliff and make room for the Lakers, especially if Kawhi is gone.

Quote:

Which newcomers will have the biggest impact on the upcoming football season? 

Good question. I'm not sure which tailback or two it will be, but I'll go with one of the bigs (Strong or Jackson) and Corbin. I think both Preston and Chapman will quickly factor in to the passing game as guys who could push to start opposite Ausbon. Both Sternberger and Wood. On defense, I think we're talking Bobby Brown and probably one other DE (Wright or Martin, IMO) and Leon O'Neal.

Quote:

Who has impressed the most this summer?

Of the returnee/veterans, names that consistently come up at guys like Trayveon Williams, Tyrel Dodson, Jace Sternberger, Trevor Wood, Erik McCoy, Kellen Mond, Nick Starkel, Roshauud Paul and Landis Durham. Newcomers? Bobby Brown, Max Wright, Charles Strong and Leon O'Neal get mentioned quite a bit.

Quote:

Who takes snap 1 at QB this fall? 

Your guess is as good as mine and probably almost as good as Jimbo's at this point. Mond made a strong push during the second half of spring. Not to pass Starkel, mind you, but to make think the battle won't be decided until about ten days into camp and even then will leave Jimbo with a very difficult decision on which way to go with it.

Quote:

What is the LB outlook for the team this year and recruiting?

For starters, depth is a serious concern. You didn't sign a single LB and Santino Marchiol has transferred out and is heading to Arizona to follow former IMG teammate Robert Congel and Coach Sumlin and primary recruiter Noel Mazzone. That leaves Dodson, Alaka, Johnson and Hines plus a converted safety (Okeke) and some walk-ons. Needless to say, Okeke is an important piece of the depth puzzle, which is why his late spring progress turns out to be pretty encouraging. I think the starting three will be solid with Tyrel being an All-SEC candidate. The interesting part could be seeing Alaka at MIKE and Dodson playing some more OLB than we saw last year. He looked good moving around in the spring in a little more space. Hines or Johnson making pretty significant strides of the spring (Johnson was injured but will be good to go for camp) would seem to be an absolute must, right? Unless that happens, it's tough to see this group rate in the top half of the SEC.

Quote:

Any word on how the older players are responding to the different style of Jimbo versus Sumlin?

I'll tell you this much (and I know there's a forum here that will mock this statement because it's positive and therefore not "telling it like it is"...you know, loser rhetoric that I'll never cave or give in to for as long as my name is on this website) but the response has been overwhelming in terms of how fired up the veteran players are about the manner in which they are being coached and pushed by the assistants and S&C coaches. That's especially true for how they are being handled and coached by Fisher himself. Before he ever even got here, a source very close to Coach Fisher told me two things: That he'd be the perfect fit at A&M in terms of his style and personality and that his players typically love him and can take tough coaching because they know how much he cares. That's why guys - team leaders, mind you - like Dodson, Starkel, Mond, Keke, Mack, McCoy, Sutherland and Williams have embraced the new demands as much and as quickly as they have.

Quote:

Any word on Brian Johnson (i.e. is he going to be a Rover or Safety)?

I'll have to double-check on that one, but that plan has been for him to play rover all along.

Quote:

What's the general feeling among the players since Jimbo's arrival and change in culture?

See above. I'll also let you guys in on this: The players are still adjusting to the off-season demands per insiders, but the thing that has the staff so encouraged is that as a team, this is a group that really wants to do things the right way and desperately wants to learn what it takes to prepare at a championship level. They're a hungry group of kids even if they still haven't quite "gotten it," which takes more than roughly 3/4 of one off-season.

Quote:

Also, what kind of program has Coach Schmidt had the players on this summer?

Not sure what you mean by that, but I will say that he's working them out with a lot more frequency than previous S&C coaches (as in most days) and they are, in fact, being pushed outside during the heat of the day oftentimes. Most of the players will tell you they feel ready to go out and play a game today and that they're in the best physical shape of their careers. Before you voice any "peak too early" or "wear them out" concerns, I'd say go back and look at how Fisher's Florida State teams typically finished (they were very good down the stretch and in November) and also do the same for Schmidt's OU squads, which have typically performed very well in bowls.

Quote:

Cabo this year?

Already went. Miami next weekend, Bahamas (I've actually never been) just before fall camp and I want to squeeze in either a trip out west or to Toronto for a Fri-Sun trip in August.

Quote:

Another random question: how does A&M handle traffic and parking for the Thursday night season opener? They aren't releasing classes early, and this is jimbos first game as coach. A lot of parking that's used for game day will still have students there. Sounds like a recipe for gridlock.

That I'm not sure of. I'm sure as game day approaches, we'll have some pertinent info to pass along to the masses.

Quote:

With all the new buildings and development around the campus and in the area in general, how do you as an "old Ag" view the changes, both positive and negative? Do you think that the region can maintain the charm of being (relatively) smaller college town, while also offering the larger city amenities (better restaurants,, hotels, etc)?

I don't think the restaurants and hotels really interfere. It just is what it is. Like any smaller town or community (or business or family, for that matter) things evolve over time and typically grow and get larger. They change. It's inevitable. Texas A&M probably changing at a more accelerated rate than at any time in her history but, like you, I know this place well enough to know that the Spirit, the principles (or Core Values as they've come to be known) the university stands for and the family feel are set in stone - and so ingrained in everyone who wears the Ring, present and future - that the Spirit of Aggieland will never change.

Quote:

Thanks for your time and insights. 

You're very welcome but be careful thanking me...you might draw the ire of the Websider community for such a transgression!

Quote:

Who emerges as our RB2 behind Williams?

Too early to call that one but I think we'll ultimately see two of the true freshman sharing that load. Kind of tackled that topic a few questions up if you're looking for specifics.

Quote:

Do you think James Foster will redshirt? 

Yes, I believe he'll redshirt, but he'll be thrust right into the August competition along with the other three signal-callers.

Quote:

My in laws bought me the sec ready dvd when it came out....long story short they lost it and just found it about a month ago. I opened it up and saw a one month free Texags coupon haha......what's the odds I can still cash that coupon in? 

Haha you're more than welcome to cash that in. Contact Gabe via DM, and he'll get you set up.

Quote:

Thanks for doing these Looch! One of my favorite things about Texags!

Glad you guys enjoy them so much.

Quote:

Typically when a prized recruit picks a team that is not your team, many scream that the player was paid off from the opposing team. You see it on our boards as well as other teams boards. How much of that do you think it exists in today's recruiting or is it purely spilt milk.

Oh, I don't think it's always sour grapes and it absolutely goes on and is more prevalent at certain power programs. Sometimes, those teams will get caught and it's usually the arrogant head coach who thinks he's fooling the public or smarter than everyone else who gets himself in trouble.

Quote:

How long before we see a Wrecking Crew defense again?

I've said this before but I'm not sure the college game will result in us seeing too much 'Wrecking Crew' style - the stuff we saw from A&M in the 90s and 90s - again. I mean, even the great Nick Saban/Alabama defenses have been carved up in ways that those defenses never were a couple of times per year it seems. How long until the Ags field one of the SEC's better defenses and something akin to some of the better ones Fisher put on the field at Florida State? I think you'll see monster jump in year two and I think they'll be there to stay in year three.

Quote:

Prediction of an OOS surprise commit (someone not routinely discussed currently )? I know it is early, but why not...

If I were going to pick one, I guess it would be Adisa Isaac. He's A&M or Penn State right now and deciding in the next month. I still think it's going to be pretty tough to pull him away from the Nittany Lions, but the Ags have gone 'all in' on this one so if there's a big surprise, I think he's it, at least as far as the near future. Down the road? Who knows, I get the feeling it might be someone we're not even talking about yet.

Quote:

Do you think we have a QB transfer on our hands depending on who gets the starting job?

I'm not ready to go there yet. Probably after the season considering there are three guys who will have been here multiple seasons but I think the battle in fall camp will be close enough that it would be pretty tough for either Starkel or Mond to decide to bail when they know they'd be one injury (see last year for a pretty decent, familiar example) or a couple of bad performances away from starting for an SEC team under a coach who churns out NFL First Rounders at the position. After the season? That would probably be a different conversation.

Quote:

Besides beer, what is the one addition you'd like to see from Kyle Field food vendors?

Well I typically don't get to eat during games so I'm not the right person to ask. But beer. A Shiner stand around every corner and taps in every suite sounds like a good place to start!

Quote:

Fish and Summer Work-out updates?

Read throughout this Q&A session and you'll see plenty of info on that topic.

Quote:

How many early entrees do we have, December grads?

I'll have to go back and check on that.

Quote:

How many early entrees can we take?

And this answer will be dependent on your first one. I think the number is somewhere around six that can count back to last year.

Quote:

Where's Adisa Isaac going?

See above. I THINK Penn State but the Ags still have a very real shot here and are right in the thick of things with the #1 player in New York and an instant-impact SEC pass-rusher. Reminds me of Bama's Tim Williams or Arden Key before he got fat and lazy.

Quote:

Who's the biggest commit we will get this year that isn't already committed?

Like I said, I think there will be a wild card addition but as far as 'stars' or 'ranking' goes, I'll say Dylan Wright or Jeffery Carter.

Quote:

How do you think receiver pans out this season as far as top 4 contributors?

Pretty wide open outside of Ausbon but I'll go with Paul in the slot plus Jalen Preston and Cam Buckley as the season progresses. Kendrick Rogers and Caleb Chapman will be significant contributors, as well, with Champan already beginning to turn heads during summer work.

Quote:

Realistically in your opinion, or based on talking with your sources inside the program, how much improvement can the O-line make this year?

See above.

Quote:

Favorite board game?

It's been too long. I need to hang out with a more chill crowd to be able to answer that (or get into a serious enough relationship that we start doing 'game nights'...even though I did watch the movie Game Night for a 'Netflix and chill' evening in Dallas last week. Does that count? I'll go with Monopoly, I guess because it's the only one I really remember. What about Connect 4? I'm pretty much a master at that one. Definitely not scrabble.

Quote:

With Jimbo coming coming to Texas A&M. Do you see high school coaches changing their offenses from pass happy/ aired to more of a pro offense?

Oh I'm not really sure about that. That usually happens when things are really trending one way or the other nationally.

Quote:

Jimbo's tenure at A&M will be a success if he accomplishes _____________________?

Turning Texas A&M into a legitimate top-10 college football program and a perennial SEC title and playoff contender. The two really go hand-in-hand and a couple of playoff berths and an SEC title along the way if the tenure is 10 years or more. Lofty goals? Yes but that's what he knew when he signed on for this. He has embraced the challenge from day one. Stoops, Dabo, Nick, Urban and Jimbo at FSU have all done it.Hell, even Gus has had Auburn in one national title game and two SEC title games in six seasons and I wouldn't say the Tigers are a top-10 program at this time so it's no an unrealistic goal. Expectations are incredibly high, much as they are for guys like Harbaugh at Michigan and even Dan Mullen at Florida.

Quote:

What is a major issue that you saw in Sumlin's tenure that Jimbo has already addressed in his first few months as our head coach?

Physicality at practice and the expectation that everyone inside the program is working for a championship and nothing less.

Quote:

When do you actually sleep? How many hours on average?

Usually around 7 hours. I'm usually like a 1:30-8:30 person.

Quote:

Seems like you are always on the go...just wonder how you get everything done.

I don't.

Quote:

Which non-coaching football hire has you most excited, and are there anymore possible hires before the season starts?

Several to choose from but I have to go with Jerry Schmidt. I'm not expecting any more hires before the season.

Quote:

Sounds like Hop is on the hot seat.....that's a question.

That's not a question and no, he's not.

Quote:

If you were driving cross country with Olin, Gabe, and Brauny: who drives, who navigates, who gets radio control, and who picks the topics of conversation?

I drive. Gabe navigates and I might actually let Brauny handle the music if he steers clear of trying to get too cute. Olin definitely picks the conversation topics. Gabe drives like a 97-year old and I feel like OB might be prone to road rage..

Quote:

Hop thought Mond would start this year. Is it really that bad at the quarterback position? I was not at all impressed with his throwing ability last year against a meaningful opponent.

Well Fisher and Dickey were impressed with what they saw from him this spring so there's that. I think folks forget that Kellen - and Nick, too, for that matter - were playing their first season of college football last fall. In Mond's case, he was a true freshman just out of high school and playing behind a pretty shaky offensive line against elite SEC defenses. Pretty damned tall order so I think trying to judge him on that is insanely premature. All three of the returnees - and I realize the focus has been on the two guys who played last year - are still insanely inexperienced and just began playing under the guidance of one of the best in the college game when it comes to developing passers. Still way too early to call but no one inside of Bright - or yours truly - would be at all surprised to see either Nick or Kellen start.

Quote:

First, thanks to you and the staff for such great coverage on the recruiting front these past few months. The amount and depth of coverage by you guys is outstanding. I think I am truly addicted to TexAgs! (Glad it wasn't around in the early 80s. My grades would have suffered!!!!!)

Haha thanks so much! Kind of concerning to read your statement and think about how many A&M students have come up to me around town and thanked me for the free student subscription. Makes me wonder how much we're contributing to destroying GPAs around Aggieland!

Quote:

I am really looking forward to the upcoming football season. What intrigues me the most is the change I anticipate in toughness that Coach Fisher and staff will instill in our team. I will be very happy to not have our annual November let downs. In prior year's, I thought the coaching staff did not have the player's prepared for the grueling November schedules. I know that it is too early to visually see the potential changes in toughness, but what are you hearing on the team's mental and physical toughness development during the summer?

I've talked about it somewhere else in the Q&A but have since lost track. Your answer can be found where I'm talking about working out in the heat of the day, more frequently and where the players are telling me they're ready to start the season now from a physical standpoint.

Quote:

Second, what one area on offense and one area on defense worries you the most going into fall camp?

Offense: It's still the offensive line for me and also receivers stepping up as actual playmakers.
Defense: Cornerback and the defensive ends holding up against the run.

Quote:

Thanks for doing these Q&As. They are one of the many great things about TexAgs!

You're welcome brother.

Quote:

Chances for Wright?

I'd say the Ags have a very good shot here but there is still work to do. Texas and Bama will give the Ags a real run but I think at the end of the day, A&M wins out due in large part to Coach Fisher's personal involvement.

Quote:

Is Wydermeyer a priority in this class?

Absolutely and he probably will be until Signing Day. He's a guy the Aggies freaking love and seem to consider a potential game-changer. He and Cupp would be the dream 1-2 at tight end and the need is definitely there to sign two this time around or it becomes an absolute must to do so next year.

Quote:

Looking at 2021's Preston Stone - what are your thoughts about this kid?

Little too early for me to jump all in with a quarterback quite that young but he looks like a really, really good one..

Quote:

Looch, I know that you'll do your "official" record prediction sometime before the first game, but I was wondering what your "knee-jerk" reaction to /prediction of this season's record after all the changes in principles and principal at Aggie football. Naturally, your answer will be written in "pencil" until your official prediction. I was just trying to gauge your level of optimism for this season. I think most of us on TexAgs are really pumped and optimistic! Are we overly so? I mean our coach is one of a handful in the nation with a National Championship ring! (Whoop!)

First off, I think you and everyone else wearing Maroon & White should be sitting on about a 10 when it comes to excitement level over the Fisher hire and where the program is headed. Second, I'm currently marinating on 8-4 with wins over LSU at Kyle Field and in a bowl game to close out the season.

Quote:

Is it likely that we'll see no decommits this year? Recruiting momentum is probably stronger than Sumlins first season and that would be saying something because it was also this programs inaugural SEC season.

I think when you have 21 commits, it's tough to say it's 'likely' that the Ags - or any team in any season for that matter - will hang on to each and every one of them. That said, if you asked me about each of the 21 individuals, I'd say I like the Ags' chances to hang on to each. The bigger names who are leaving themselves open to suitors despite being solidly committed to A&M - guys like Leal - will be the ones Fisher and Co. really have to fight to hang on to but they proved last year that they're more than capable of doing so and have a hell of a lot more time spent with the prospects and momentum on their side this time around.

Quote:

Will the Dallas cowboys beat the Houston Texans this year?

Not if my dude Lech has anything to say about it! Honestly though, I think those are two teams that will be right there on the playoff fringe so it should be a pretty important game. I like Houston to win it with defense, though.

Quote:

How does a committable offer turn into a non-committable offer? Does the coach let the recruit know when that happens or does the recruit know that it can change at any time if the school receives another commit at his position?

See below.

Quote:

Compare/Contrast the S&C philosophy between old and new regime.

I'll go a little more in-depth at a later date but there's some stuff about some of the differences above. I also think this is the most talent-laden S&C staff I've ever seen at A&M and there isn't a close second. Probably four of these dudes will be head coaches at the P5 level in three years or less.

Quote:

How does this football staff compare to others you have covered as far as organization, work ethic or any other characteristic you think relevant?

No comparison in either one of those two areas or the level of accountability and a never-ending commitment to recruiting.

Quote:

Any major upgrades to facilities or things that Jimbo has requested in the works?

I'd have to ask that question specifically but I know the weight room has undergone a facelift and a track (for 40s and what not) is going in.

Quote:

Give us a Gabe story, a Brauny story, and a Hop story

More of an on-air question. Telling three funny stories would entail a hell of a lot of writing and I could just tell them in a matter of a couple of minutes!

Quote:

I know these non-conference matchups are setup so far but who could you possibly see us playing in the future in a home and home?

They're set up so far away that I really don't think anything is in the works. I do think there's a chance that if Colorado or Arizona State look like easy wins or bad games leading up to the contests that we could see A&M pop up in one of those start-of-season games one year but I think even those are starting to be set up a decent amount of time in advance. As I said earlier, I'd like to see the Ags go with a high-profile B1G foe, literally anyone from Ohio State or Michigan to Penn State (this is the one I was hoping to see) or even Wisconsin, Michigan State or even Nebraska. Heading out to the Pacific Northwest is a lot tougher to do and I think for the team's sake (and the grind of the schedule) playing to the east is a better idea. So probably more ACC/B1G foes. If they ever schedule anyone from the Big 12, I'd start and end with Oklahoma.

Quote:

Tell us one past recruiting story you've not been able to share but enough time has passed now that it will be ok

Save this one for another time because I'd have to sit back and think on it for a bit. There's a funny one Hop could share in regards to the Roy Williams recruitment way back when as we were attempting to compare notes over the phone the night before Signing Day but since this isn't a Q&A with Hop you guys are missing out on a good laugh 

Quote:

Do our coaches think LB is our weakest position group for 2018?

From a depth standpoint, probably so. But the starting three could be a solid group.

Quote:

Should people be surprised if Mond is named the starter or should he be considered the favorite to progress enough to start Game 1?

I honestly don't think it would be accurate (at all) to call either of the experienced QBs on the roster the favorite to win the job. No, I don't think anyone in the know would be surprised at all to see Kellen win the job. Same for Starkel. If it were either of the other two - Blumrick or the true freshman Foster - then that would have to qualify as something unexpected.

Quote:

What is your favorite John Wayne movie?

Rio Bravo for me. I'm a fan of Red River, too.

Quote:

What does it look like when "we" or Jimbo move on from a player who we have previously offered? Do we rescind the offer, verbally tell them the space isn't available? I don't think this has really been relevant before. But now that spaces are filling up and filling up quickly I think it's more relevant.

It really depends on the situation. If there's a chance that the young man is on the verge of a commitment (even if it's unclear of where that might be), the Ags will let said player know that he's essentially waited too long to accept the offer to play at TAMU.They had to do that with one or two guys earlier this year and those players have since committed elsewhere. Sometimes for the bigger programs, it's as simple as time having passed and the player not hearing from the school for weeks or even months. It's rare in that instance that a young man would ever try to commit to a school that hasn't reached out to him for any real length of time so it's essentially understood. IMO, it's always best to be out in front of it and just let the kid know either directly or subtly through his head coach if communication has just kind of dried up on both sides for any length of time. You don't want a situation like the one that happened with the four-star WR who tried to commit to ND this week. The position coach accepted, there was some miscommunication, Brian Kelly wasn't ready to take the kid's pledge and the assistant had to inform him he didn't have a spot. Not a good look and definitely something you can't ever risk happening with a Texas kid.

Sorry not sorry if you're one of those who can't handle a long answer or that was not 'to the point' enough for you. I prefer the words thorough and informative but what do I know, right?

Quote:

Project how many recruits sign with A&M in December and how many sign in February 2019.

Honestly, I have put a ton of thought (any, actually) into that just yet because I think a good majority of these kids are undecided but I'd bet the overwhelming majority sign early.

Quote:

Project when Coach Fisher names his QB 1.

Around 12 days into fall camp. I don't think it's an early thing but I also know he'd probably love to give one guy significantly more reps with the first team prior to the season with Clemson looming quickly in Week Two.

Quote:

Any concerns with getting 4 OL so early in the 2020 class, or are these guys just that dominant?

It's a pretty nasty group. I've been able to watch Bankhead, Chibuzo and Ogunbiyi in person at camp and Bankhead's head coach Lonnie Madison is a good friend who has been telling me about Josh for a year now. Jefferson is shorter but ridiculously powerful as an inside guy and has an enormous chip on his shoulder. I can tell you this much, Jim Turner is sold on the group and, boy, do Chibuzo and Akinola have the offer list to back it up. Look, if the Ags were to stay at four this year, there's no reason they couldn't add at least one more and maybe even two if they wanted to. We've seen them sign six DL in a class before and seen A&M and other programs go as high as six deep in a single DB haul, as well. Still room to maneuver, which is why I think they should cut things off at four this time around.

Quote:

Will Jimbo force the attrition needed to get to 85 by cutting scholarship athletes? How do you feel about this practice if it's the case?

See above where I talk about attrition. As is the case everywhere (I mentioned Nebraska losing 10 already), there are always going to be plenty of kids who either don't see themselves a fit in the new system or who are unable or unwilling to adjust to the demands of a new staff. In most instances, it's best for both parties. We'll see which members of the usual cast of pot-stirring characters decide to make it an issue when it happens everywhere, including Austin under Herman over the last 1.5 years a pace that's been hard to keep up with despite us hearing nary a peep about it.

Quote:

How many days a week are you in the Texags office?

Usually around three. This week, it'll be Wed-Thurs-Fri. Usually M-W-F. But it's typically for meetings, radio or before or after lunch just to stop in and talk to whoever I need to talk to (or to pick Dalton, OB, Gabe, Brandon or, yes, Hop up for lunch).

Quote:

How many times have you been there before 7am?

Hmmmm...that one's pretty easy. Signing Day every year when I roll in at about 6:58.

Quote:

What Netflix shows have you been watching lately? Bloodline, 7 Seconds and House of Cards are all awesome from what I've seen!

I've really been slacking but need to give Bloodline a watch and maybe Billions (is that one Showtime?). I've heard both are outstanding.

Quote:

With Clemson coming to Kyle in September, is there another OOC game that compares in recent memory?
Off the top of my head and talking about non-conference, I don't think there would have been a bigger game in at least thirty years.

Depending on how we perform early on, I think that game has a chance to provide a Top 5 most electrifying Game Day atmospheres all time at Kyle Field.

You're right about the whole 'depending on how we perform early on' part. Could you imagine what Kyle Field would be like - at night, no less - if the Aggies are locked in a tight game with Dabo's Tigers deep into the fourth quarter? And before you say it can't happen, Auburn played with them on the Plains two years ago (with D Watson at QB, mind you) down to the final snap. That was an 8-5 Auburn team that the Ags beat soundly at Jordan-Hare and with Jeremy Johnson finishing the game at quarterback, if memory serves. Yeah, that would be as an electric an atmosphere as you'd see in college sports.

Quote:

Will Jace Sternberger and Trevor Wood be the newcomers with the biggest impact?

As a tandem, yes. Tackled this one a little earlier in the thread and mention Jace a couple of questions from now.

Quote:

Will Jimbo be the first former Saban assistant to defeat him?

Hadn't thought of it but I'll actually say no. I think Kirby will get him this year and Jimbo next year at Kyle Field, with those being Bama's next two losses.

Quote:

Most underrated signing of the 2018 class?

Hmmmm...I'm going to go with either Jeremiah Martin because the dude has off-the-charts potential and fans didn't celebrate landing him over OU and UW nearly as much as they were shook up about losing Joseph Ossai, when I think they're players who are just about equal when talking about upside. Another would have been Jace Sternberger but that secret is already out so on offense I'll go with Jashaun Corbin. I really like his explosive nature with the ball in his hands.

Quote:

Will Hop post on this thread?

If I was him I would simply for shock value.

Quote:

Any idea why some of these Consol studs (Brian Darby, Nate Floyd, Devin Price) have flown under the radar so much? They've been showing out like crazy with the Texas Air Raid and in pads. I'm a CSHS guy so you know I'm not biased...haha

No need to say you're not biased. Those dudes are really good and getting better. They'll all be playing major P5 ball in the future. Add A&M commit Josh Ellison and recent Tech pledge Brandon Joseph to that local list, as you know. The area is pretty stacked this year and next.

Quote:

You ever have the chance to see the Texas Air Raid play? Those dudes have been leaving bodies all over the country. Beat FAST Houston, Cam Newton All-Stars, Bootleggers out of Louisiana, and many more. They're good

I haven't seen them play as a team but I've seen several of those dudes in camp or in other 7v7 action. Malik Hornsby is the real freaking deal (and already a top 2020 target for the Ags at QB) and Devin Price (Coach Price's son) looks better every time I see him. Brauny is the guy when it comes to knowing pretty much everything there is to know about the local talent on that team, as well.

Quote:

As always, thank you for doing this! What a unique and amazing feature.

Really appreciate you guys who support it and love it. It's pretty time consuming but it's a labor of love, that's for sure.

Quote:

Honestly? They're working tirelessly on a spin campaign (and there are plenty of Texas fans reading this, listening to my every word and racing back to said spin doctors, who are then racing to their sources on the Longhorn staff and telling them what I say and it's pretty rich to watch it all unfold), going overtime in terms of negative recruiting directed at the Aggies, trying to push the narrative that A&M is ducking them on the field and, to be honest, doing a very good job of out of state, particularly out west. However, there's no two ways around the fact that the Ags are getting the best of the head-to-heads for in-state talent at this stage of the game, which is putting a LOT of pressure on Herman and the Horns to get it done on the field this fall in year two in Austin.

Quote:

Who is impressing in summer workouts? Or is that coming in a longer write up?

If you read this Q&A session pretty thoroughly there is going to plenty of all of that in here. It's why I waited until Thursday to post it.

Quote:

I can't believe it took this long for Hop to get a taste of what Brauny and Gabe deal with, but somehow it's still just right.

Nahhhh, this was different. Hop is fine by me and it's a non-issue. I do what I do for a reason and fully understand the reaction it's going to get on the boards. I realize those who don't like me (and also don't know me) are going to assume the worst out of me, or my management style or whatever else fits their narrative so they can add this question thread and the way I went about handling my business to their 'Liucci's a jerk' file. As for Brauny and Gabe? Wellllllll....

Quote:

So... Rian Davis?

I did actually check and didn't really get a concrete reason as to why he has never really been heavily targeted by the Ags. It's not because they overlooked him, I can promise you that. They're well aware of who he is and, as evidenced by the way they've recruited, have proven they can find players from coast to coast and from California to Florida to New York and all points in between.

Quote:

Can Kenyon Green be convinced to enroll early?

I'll double-check but not sure he's one right now.

Quote:

When is your next 'Carpooling with Looch" episode and who is on the list? Mike was a hit, so bring in a ringer.

Yeah, that's a really good question. We'll have to figure that out and I'm working with a pretty big-time sponsor for it that would tie in very nicely with the whole concept of an in-depth interview that is a lot different from what you normally see.

pravda-2.jpg

• Like 1

I'd say definitely top 10 and probably somewhere in the top 6 or so. I know a lot of people have tried to crunch the numbers and speculate, which is fun, but I also think we might actually be UNDERestimating the potential finish for a staff that has flexed so much muscle so early and without any home games or noteworthy wins to show for it during their one off-season in College Station. These guys are big-game hunters, they're closers, and they're absolutely tireless. It's going to result in a big surprise or two between now and NSD and several four-stars who are currently leaning the Ags' way. When you look at Herman and Texas and what they did after going 6-6 during the reg season last year with a coach without 1/10 the resume/reputation of Jimbo Fisher, imagine what the new A&M staff will be able to do if the Ags were finish something like 9-4 with wins over LSU at home and in a bowl to close out season 1? Top 6, maybe higher.

Your honor, I will mark this as Exhibit "B" in the case of Aggy v. Moving Goal Post. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Also of note, he highlighted OU's success in end-of-year games as evidence that Schmidt is turning the S&C program around.

Because nobody ever makes fun of OU's BCS or Playoff success rate?!?

Fuck, I mean, I'm happy they get there, but even the same fan base he's TALKING TO still crow about beating the shit out of OU in a bowl game.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 10:55 AM, closetojumping said:

I know we've touched on this, but it is pretty interesting to watch what is happening in BCS. They're taking a bunch of character issue guys and grade risks, and a bunch of mercenaries or players with bad hangers on within their circle. This will either blow-up hilariously and the attrition will ultimately be off the charts, or this has the makings of an outlaw program with no moral compass a la ATM under Sherrill, OU under Switzer, and Miami generally. That's somewhat ominous to me. 

Look at the players:

2018-

-Bobby Brown - a flake who juked around with multiple schools until the last second and also looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane.

-Tank Jenkins - auction

-Jashaun Corbin - auction

-James Foster - auction that the in-state schools more or less ignored until Bama got desperate late.

-Vernon Jackson - flake who thinks he's going to play TB at ATM and be a star. Note: Oscar Giles failed to offer him the opportunity to start out at TB until the afternoon of signing day. Strong work, Oscar. 

-Leon O'Neal - an undertalented, overrated prima donna who expects to start early and be a high draft pick after 3 years. A shattered worldview for this guy will be one of the greatest aggie meltdowns in years.

2019-

-Erick Young - TankedBevo's plaintive protestations aside, this dude pulled a stunt I've never even seen before and showed us who he is in the process.

-Bobby Wolfe - the 2019 version of Leon O'Neal. Getting these two goobers in the same DB film room will probably asphyxiate everyone else due to a lack of oxygen being present when they're done talking/beating chests.

-Bobby Williams - a stud who shut everything down in one visit and is not speaking to anyone else, anywhere. ATM struck an absolutely great deal here with the family.

-Jeffery Carter - he has a turd hanging on to him that has caused many programs to end pursuit. It's pretty bad if that happens. He's a stud player with a helicopter parent firing RPGs from above, so it should be awesome to witness. 

-Kenyon Green - I told the story of his dad allegedly trying to find a bidding war for his kid's attendance to an all-star game. I've never heard of that one before, but it's hilarious. Anyway, another one who thinks he's one thing, but he projects as something else, and not a person around him has ever told him otherwise or thought it themselves.

-Tarian Lee - needs a brain transplant to get into college.

-Andre White - another guy who visits one time and shuts everything down and won't speak to anyone. Okay.

-Beason and Brooks - I don't think ATM is done looking at either of these two.

They'll also look to close around signing day on some of the purer auctions with guys who either never visit or mention them until the final 2-3 weeks of this period, or guys that the local programs simply will not touch, hence their availability. 

Can you build a program around these types? Florida did it, but they also had a transcendent leader who kept the thugs in line. Things went sideways when he was done. Earlier examples don't fit due to the high, high level of talent that was being purchased, and locally, for OU, ATM, and Miami when they were doing what they were doing. All three of those scenarios ended badly nonetheless. Only ATM was incompetent enough to not win at least one MNC during their run. 

On 7/5/2018 at 1:44 PM, bizzle said:

your slow march towards crazy on this website is a hell of a thing to behold. and i am here for it.

catching up after world cup.....  nothing better on a friday than reading brain melting cognitive dissonance from one of our local aggy.

On 7/5/2018 at 1:51 PM, closetojumping said:

I've been where you're at, man, and I feel for you. You really, really need this coaching hire to work out and you've convinced yourself that it will, and cleanly. Anyone or anything referencing otherwise must be a rube, a loon, or both. 

That all said, I've merely aged like a fine wine. I'm taking a position based on what I believe, just like I always have. 

ctj, what bizzle is experiencing is beyond confirmation bias.  aggy are on a mission from god.

On 7/6/2018 at 1:11 PM, bizzle said:

i've always appreciated your taking of positions, you've just lost any and all objectivity when it comes to looking at the actual players since jimbo arrived, which is fine.

bizzle has been the most rational aggy in this community for a long time.  this level of dissonance is a great sign of the pending roller coaster plunge.

we're talking a roller coaster crest at the altitude of the burj dubai.

• Haha 1

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

bizzle has been the most rational aggy in this community for a long time.  this level of dissonance is a great sign of the pending roller coaster plunge.

we're talking a roller coaster crest at the altitude of the burj dubai.

It’s not like he hasn’t been like this before, when he thought sumlin was great and his offense was plug and play because of manziel. 

This is just the manic portion of bizzle’s personal aggy football bipolar coaster. 

Since they live for the H2H discussions.

Of our 13 current commits, aggys have offered 7:

• QB - R.Johnson (Fisher was absolutely begging this guy)
  • WR - J.Whittington (better than anyone they have)
  • WR - J.Smith (better than anyone they have)
  • OT - T.Johnson (wash with K.Green)
  • SDE - T.Sweat (they have nobody)
  • OLB - D.Floyd (better than anyone they have and they're running on fumes here)
  • CB - K.Watson (they'd love this kid)

Also, of the following 6 players we have committed they haven't offered, please tell me which ones they wouldn't take.  Probably TE, CB and S since they went a different direction there but let's not act like they wouldn't take the guys we got.  They also have D.Leal but the rest of their class is bread.  B.Mowry is a nice player.  Give me a break with the kicking our ass comments.  Such lying assholes.

• WR - D.Houston (would take him in a heartbeat)
  • TE - B.Liebrock (would take him in a heartbeat)
  • TE - J.Wiley (B.Cupp - understandable)
  • WDE - P.Mpagi (project - OK)
  • CB - M.Caldwell (would take him in a heartbeat)
  • S - C.Adimora (would take him in a heartbeat)

10 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Since they live for the H2H discussions.

Of our 13 current commits, aggys have offered 7:

• QB - R.Johnson (Fisher was absolutely begging this guy)
  • WR - J.Whittington (better than anyone they have)
  • WR - J.Smith (better than anyone they have)
  • OT - T.Johnson (wash with K.Green)
  • SDE - T.Sweat (they have nobody)
  • OLB - D.Floyd (better than anyone they have and they're running on fumes here)
  • CB - K.Watson (they'd love this kid)

Also, of the following 6 players we have committed they haven't offered, please tell me which ones they wouldn't take.  Probably TE, CB and S since they went a different direction there but let's not act like they wouldn't take the guys we got.  They also have D.Leal but the rest of their class is bread.  B.Mowry is a nice player.  Give me a break with the kicking our ass comments.  Such lying assholes.

• WR - D.Houston (would take him in a heartbeat)
  • TE - B.Liebrock (would take him in a heartbeat)
  • TE - J.Wiley (B.Cupp - understandable)
  • WDE - P.Mpagi (project - OK)
  • CB - M.Caldwell (would take him in a heartbeat)
  • S - C.Adimora (would take him in a heartbeat)

Listen man, I agree with your general point but I think you're stretching a bit.

I do'nt think they'd take Liebrock. Cupp is a stud and so is the Wydermeiner kid or whatever the fuck his name is and they're likely to land him too. I don't think it's fair to say they'd take Caldwell in a heartbeat...they haven't even offered the guy. Ditto Houston. Ditto Adimora, who we all think is a stud, but they have a ton of safeties already committed in this class. 

That said they're delusional fuckers so fuck them, yes. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Their hauls at S, DL and TE (especially if they take Wydermyer) look really good right now. Elsewhere they have some nice pieces but it doesn't scream #1 or #2 class in the nation.

Yeah the OL haul is a stud and 3 JAG's.  Not good for the so-called "LOS league."

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen man, I agree with your general point but I think you're stretching a bit.

I do'nt think they'd take Liebrock. Cupp is a stud and so is the Wydermeiner kid or whatever the fuck his name is and they're likely to land him too. I don't think it's fair to say they'd take Caldwell in a heartbeat...they haven't even offered the guy. Ditto Houston. Ditto Adimora, who we all think is a stud, but they have a ton of safeties already committed in this class. 

Interesting that they didn't offer Caldwell. Even if they think Wolfe and Young are corners, that depth chart isn't scaring anybody. aggy gonna aggy

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's cool. But take a look at the offer lists.  They went a different direction at TE (same with CB and S).  They're going to do well at those positions understandably as I said.  But still, Liebrock was wanted by everyone.  You can't convince me they wouldn't have taken him in a heartbeat.  D.Houston is higher ranked than the 2 WRs they got.  OK at CB and S.  I'll temper my comments there.  They're doing well in state this year with DBs after our historic haul last class.

B.Liebrock - offered by: Bama, LSU, Mich, ND, tOSU, USC, etc.

D.Houston - offered by: Bama, Aub, Flor, ND, Tenn

M.Caldwell - offered by: Ore, Ole Miss, Mizzou, TCU

C.Adimora - offered by: Bama, Boise, Mich, Neb, Ore, UCLA, USC

7 minutes ago, Scholz said:

That's cool. But take a look at the offer lists.  They went a different direction at TE (same with CB and S).  They're going to do well at those positions understandably as I said.  But still, Liebrock was wanted by everyone.  You can't convince me they wouldn't have taken him in a heartbeat.  D.Houston is higher ranked than the 2 WRs they got.  OK at CB and S.  I'll temper my comments there.  They're doing well in state this year with DBs after our historic haul last class.

B.Liebrock - offered by: Bama, LSU, Mich, ND, tOSU, USC, etc.

D.Houston - offered by: Bama, Aub, Flor, ND, Tenn

M.Caldwell - offered by: Ore, Ole Miss, Mizzou, TCU

C.Adimora - offered by: Bama, Boise, Mich, Neb, Ore, UCLA, USC

This is not a good CB class in state outside of Carter. Wolfe and Young are safeties more than corners.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Their hauls at S, DL and TE (especially if they take Wydermyer) look really good right now. Elsewhere they have some nice pieces but it doesn't scream #1 or #2 class in the nation.

Which is why they are screaming about their #2 ranking today. And why Loogie is prepping them for a #6 final ranking. While pretending that they are wiping the floor with Herman's ass on the trail.

2 hours ago, kilroydos said:

Also of note, he highlighted OU's success in end-of-year games as evidence that Schmidt is turning the S&C program around.

Because nobody ever makes fun of OU's BCS or Playoff success rate?!?

Fuck, I mean, I'm happy they get there, but even the same fan base he's TALKING TO still crow about beating the shit out of OU in a bowl game.

This right here. OU has been a colossal failure in Bowl games far more often than not. And Schmidt is a terrible fucking S&C coach no matter how you try and spin it. 

I'd say definitely top 10 and probably somewhere in the top 6 or so. I know a lot of people have tried to crunch the numbers and speculate, which is fun, but I also think we might actually be UNDERestimating the potential finish for a staff that has flexed so much muscle so early and without any home games or noteworthy wins to show for it during their one off-season in College Station. These guys are big-game hunters, they're closers, and they're absolutely tireless. It's going to result in a big surprise or two between now and NSD and several four-stars who are currently leaning the Ags' way. When you look at Herman and Texas and what they did after going 6-6 during the reg season last year with a coach without 1/10 the resume/reputation of Jimbo Fisher, imagine what the new A&M staff will be able to do if the Ags were finish something like 9-4 with wins over LSU at home and in a bowl to close out season 1? Top 6, maybe higher.
Your honor, I will mark this as Exhibit "B" in the case of Aggy v. Moving Goal Post. 

You need to hold on to these and repost them in order on NSD

17 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

So fat fuck looch can only imagine a 9-4 season in his wildest dreams? I guess deep down they know they're not winning more than 7 games this year

I think they're going to have a Johnny Football Inverse Season. Instead of the first year coach and gifted young QB setting offensive records, they are going to have shitty QB play and suck ass.

Things even out in the end.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I think they're going to have a Johnny Football Inverse Season. Instead of the first year coach and gifted young QB setting offensive records, they are going to have shitty QB play and suck ass.

Things even out in the end.

Even Steven

tumblr_m06355Hb6m1qdcfc3o1_500.gif 

• Like 3