Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

The aggy propaganda machine hard at work

In the 2018 recruiting class, Texas and head coach Tom Herman had a very good showing. The Longhorns had the No. 3-ranked class in the country and signed six of the top seven-rated

When Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher arrived in Aggieland, he was behind the eight ball a bit, especially with the first-ever Early Signing Period. The Aggies closed well but, with most of the elite in-state prospects, he was simply too late on the scene.

The class of 2019 was seen as the true battleground class. Fisher and Co. would have an entire year to build relationships and recruit them. So far, things are going a lot differently for the Aggies with the class.

A&M just landed a huge commitment from who some consider to be the top overall prospect in the state, Converse Judson defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal. The 6-foot-4, 280-pound four-star was arguably the top defensive prospect on the board for both A&M and Texas. The Longhorns thought they had him all but locked down headed into this past weekend's official visit to Aggieland. All that obviously changed.

A&M assistant coach Tim Brewster, known as one of the top recruiters in the nation, made Leal one of his primary targets. He built a relationship with the family and played a huge role in the Aggies landing him. Interestingly, Brewster formerly coached at Texas and was credited with landing Vince Young after the five-star quarterback had basically eliminated the Longhorns from contention.

Fisher has built a staff of solid recruiters and the Aggies have shown they are not going to back down vs. Texas. Leal is the second prospect in a week - tight end Baylor Cupp being the other - that was a head-to-head victory for A&M over Texas. Five-star safety Brian Williams and four-star safety Demani Richardson were two players that Texas felt good about at one point, until each ended up on the Aggie commitment list. Though neither truly showed a ton of interest, wide receiver Kam Brown and defensive end Braedon Mowry both had Texas offers as well.

Going forward, there are a lot more head-to-head battles in the class as well. Texas is after five-star offensive tackle Kenyon Green as well as four-star Javonne Shepherd. Both have the majority of their Crystal Ball predictions for A&M. Four-star offensive guard Branson Bragg is also shaping up to be a battle between the two schools, though Stanford is also making noise.

Katy Mayde Creek four-star defensive end Marcus Stripling has both schools in his top group as do Katy Cinco Ranch four-star linebacker David Gbenda, Spring Dekaney four-star cornerback Marcus Banks and Aledo four-star cornerback Jeffery Carter. In fact, Carter had once named the Longhorns as his leader but now the Crystal Ball is trending toward the Aggies. Four-star cornerbacks Erick Young and Bobby Wolfe were once big Texas targets but neither included the Longhorns in their top group.

A&M is not going to win all the head-to-head battles against Texas this year but the Aggies are likely to take many of them. That represents a major change from the 2018 class and could be a sign of things to come as Fisher has brought a new excitement level to College Station.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Just now, Machinator said:

Cupp was a head-to-head win. He's a take if he were interested in us.

Agreed. Cupp is a take and a h2h for Aggy. It's not like Hale with his Stonger bullshit. Herman and staff saw that piece of shit in person and it was a hard pass. 

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't think you can get anything above LaMarca prosecco within 30 miles of College Station.

I don't feel great about reeling Leal back in, given that he understood Texas' pitch pretty well and went balls deep with the aggies anyway. That considered, celebrating a commitment in April seems a bit aggressive, even for a dirty old used car salesman like Brewster.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That considered, celebrating a commitment in April seems a bit aggressive, even for a dirty old used car salesman like Brewster.

Every coach at every school celebrates a commit in April on social media so they can receive the glorious overture of retweets.

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think you can get anything above LaMarca prosecco within 30 miles of College Station.

I don't feel great about reeling Leal back in, given that he understood Texas' pitch pretty well and went balls deep with the aggies anyway. That considered, celebrating a commitment in April seems a bit aggressive, even for a dirty old used car salesman like Brewster.

I'm assuming that much of the pitch was selling the future and what should be an upward trajectory for the program, and he hasn't seen that manifest yet. If A&M's season gets ugly while Texas is giving supporting data to Herman's pitch while Texas is still in contact with him continuously, I don't think this thing is close to over. He's an hour away with no traffic, he and his mom can easily sneak in undetected assuming they don't tell Super K who has no qualms about spilling the beans. After all, his mom has told recruiting reporters that he'll still take visits. I still feel ok about this one. I feel considerably less ok with the Wilson recruitment, however. 

I like Tarp's write-up on the LBs for 2018 -- obviously was not pushed out by the Ministry of Information  ::

SPRING BREAKDOWN: A&M HAS A QUALITY SIX PACK AT LINEBACKER

Alaka (injured) -- Dodson (all conference caliber) -- Marchiol (sundial speed) --  Hines (running around blocks)  -- Johnson (was too slow for SS at 200 and is now at 225 playing Rover) -- Okeke (can't beat out Johnson at Rover) 

This quote is especially awesome given the topic.

"The Aggies don’t have enough bodies at the position. They didn’t add anyone in the 2018 recruiting class and will have to do so for 2019 and beyond to replenish the unit. Even so, if A&M can continue to stay healthy"  <--- with Alaka hurt again. 

I also like that he obviously had some negative coming and decided against publishing that part -- "The big questions"   <--- end of article. 

Texas A&M’s linebacking corps could not have had a better spring.

Other than the hiccup of Otaro Alaka missing a few practices due to injury, the unit stayed intact during March and April. It’s basically six deep at the three positions (Mike, Will, and the Rover). The group has an all conference caliber performer in Tyrel Dodson.

Do we have to go back to the days of R.C. Slocum to be able to make those kinds of comments about the group? Seriously, when the last time that the Aggies emerged from spring practice with this type of talent and good health?

It’s sad that we’re asking these questions but it’s an indication of just how bad things have been at times during the past 20 years since Dat Nyugen and Warrick Holdman were making people think quality linebacking in College Station was the norm and not the exception to the rule.

Dodson led both teams with seven solo tackles in Saturday’s spring game. He is well coordinated as an athlete and sufficiently disciplined that he doesn’t overrun things as a player. Dodson can beat people to spots, set himself, and explode into blockers or ball carriers. Because he keeps his feet underneath his shoulders and his head high in his drops, he’s a factor versus the pass (three interceptions, eight passes broken up).

Alaka can run and he’s gotten better at filling and being in position. Like some older players, he’s overcome injury issues as a youngster to become a productive player on the field.

Redshirt freshman Santino Marchiol spent virtually his entire first year on injured reserve and there were questions about what kind of contributor he would be since he couldn’t appear to stay healthy. However, he answered those questions by staying on the field this spring and becoming the primary backup to Dodson. Marchiol is now a solidly built guy who can step and then align his feet and shoulders to drive himself into people and deliver serious blows with power.

Sophomore Anthony Hines is the backup at the Will and like Alaka can run. However, he has great feet, can avoid blocks, and has good vision to see how things are going to develop. Hines also has great closing speed and the long arms to wrap people up or fend them off. He had six solos on Saturday.

Sophomore Buddy Johnson has muscled up and is a compact and explosive athlete. Johnson arrived at A&M as 200 pound athlete who played a variety of positions in high school with the concern that he lacked the size to master any one of them. That’s no longer a problem as he’s filled out to 225 pounds. He can play in space as he’s quick enough to avoid blocks when necessary, change direction in coverage, and close quickly on the ball. He’s almost an ideal Rover in defensive coordinator Mike Elko’s scheme. He led the White team with seven tackles in the Maroon & White game, added 1.5 tackles for loss, and is also someone who can use his athleticism to make plays on special teams.

His backup is sophomore Ikenna Okeke who has transitioned from safety and found a home at Rover. He’s got a little more length than Johnson and can probably cover more ground. He had six tackles and a tackle for loss himself on Saturday. He’s not quite as explosive as Johnson but he has that length that enables him to wrap people up and get them on the ground. Both can pop up in the passing lanes and have been well taught in terms of being disciplined and making plays in space. Okeke had an excellent play on Saturday where he brought down running back Trayveon Williams on a swing pass, coming from his spot between the hashes and numbers to take the correct angle on a quality runner like Williams and bring him down in the open field one on one. It was an impressive moment.

Overall, the group contributed 34 of the 107 total tackles in the spring game on both sides. The only downside to the unit….as A&M boss Jimbo Fisher has noted multiple times over the past few weeks…is depth. The Aggies don’t have enough bodies at the position. They didn’t add anyone in the 2018 recruiting class and will have to do so for 2019 and beyond to replenish the unit. Even so, if A&M can continue to stay healthy and the group continue to get solid protection from a quality group of defensive tackles, then this should be a productive group that can hang with almost anyone when the season starts for real in August. The big questions

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I'm assuming that much of the pitch was selling the future and what should be an upward trajectory for the program, and he hasn't seen that manifest yet. If A&M's season gets ugly while Texas is giving supporting data to Herman's pitch while Texas is still in contact with him continuously, I don't think this thing is close to over. He's an hour away with no traffic, he and his mom can easily sneak in undetected assuming they don't tell Super K who has no qualms about spilling the beans. After all, his mom has told recruiting reporters that he'll still take visits. I still feel ok about this one. I feel considerably less ok with the Wilson recruitment, however. 

I don't think anything you're saying is incorrect, I just don't feel as sanguine as you do about the season mattering. He's been sold that he's a cornerstone to their future and he's a starter from day 1. ATM's season crumbling into rubble, were that to happen, would merely reinforce this pitch, in my mind. 

As to Wilson, yeah, light the cigarette now, because we've just been proper fucked. The fact that Herman kept Tim Beck after last season is something I fear we're going to be lamenting/discussing for a long time. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Yeesh. Looks like the door has closed for good here. Seeing Leal + Stripling + Mowry all end up in CS hurts.

Wonder if we go harder after Carl Williams now

Man, where's all the Giles moaning and gnashing of teeth (NOT that I think it would really be justified). Since we got Coburn and Ossai never actually committed to the ags we were actually in a better spot last year.

1 minute ago, Bevo14 said:

Sucks, but our defensive line has been the most consistently very good to elite part of this team for the last gazillion years.

Against the run, sure. But we haven't had an elite pass rusher in seemingly forever (hoping Hager, Roach, or McCulloch can change this). Also, the success of our 3-2-6 against the run last year was very heavily dependent on Ford.