2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

Bobby on OL

OL coach Kyle Flood has one of the more difficult jobs on the team.

His OL room is not devoid of talent, even though it may not have a future All-American either. Rather, Flood must pick his top five from a group of six or seven that aren’t all that far apart in production.

Coming from Alabama, Flood’s predilection was to see if he could get the Longhorns bigger up front. That’s why Junior Angilau still gets a look at center despite Jake Majors being the more natural player at the position.

Yet I’m told Flood has started to come around on how all of the pieces fit, the who and the where. That didn’t come into focus until Derek Kerstetter returned for his final season after recovering from injury this spring.

Locking in Kerstetter at right tackle - not at center where Herb Hand tried to force the issue a year ago - has given Flood some certainty when he starts tinkering with his lineup.

Now it’s pretty straight-forward. The battle at left tackle is between Christian Jones and Andrej Karic. Jones is currently winning that.

On the interior, Denzel Okafor is a typical Flood offensive guard. Perhaps Flood would like a player a bit quicker, but Okafor will suffice.

That really leaves the only true tinkering down to what Flood decides to do at center. Go with Jake Majors or insert Junior Angilau?

Majors played exceedingly well in action late in his true freshman year when taking over for the injured Kerstetter. Angilau is a returning multi-year starter at guard who is auditioning for the center spot as well.

Angilau can likely be more of an asset in power run situations than Majors at center. But is an Angilau-Tope Imade combo at center-guard better than the Majors-Angilau combination overall?

Based on what I’ve heard, early returns are kind of what we’d expect, although the lack of full team settings and contact scrimmages have yet to solidify the decision.

As of now, it’s Majors at center with Angilau and Okafor working at guard, and Jones and Kerstetter at tackle.

But it’s important to remember this is not set in stone. Flood still wants to tinker in scrimmage situations.

One more name to watch: I am told Keilan Robinson is performing as good as, or better than, expected. The former Alabama staff now on offense at Texas feel like Robinson could be a breakout player in this offense.

• Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

One more name to watch: I am told Keilan Robinson is performing as good as, or better than, expected. The former Alabama staff now on offense at Texas feel like Robinson could be a breakout player in this offense.

This is pleasant news.  If this kid can step up and be an offensive threat and compliment to Bijan it would do wonders for our offense and help out whoever the QB is immensely.  Really hoping at least one of Worthy/Whittington/K. Robinson are legitimate and not just training camp talk.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 8

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby on OL

His OL room is not devoid of talent, even though it may not have a future All-American either. Rather, Flood must pick his top five from a group of six or seven that aren’t all that far apart in production.

Coming from Alabama, Flood’s predilection was to see if he could get the Longhorns bigger up front. That’s why Junior Angilau still gets a look at center despite Jake Majors being the more natural player at the position.

Yet I’m told Flood has started to come around on how all of the pieces fit, the who and the where. That didn’t come into focus until Derek Kerstetter returned for his final season after recovering from injury this spring.

Locking in Kerstetter at right tackle - not at center where Herb Hand tried to force the issue a year ago - has given Flood some certainty when he starts tinkering with his lineup.

Now it’s pretty straight-forward. The battle at left tackle is between Christian Jones and Andrej Karic. Jones is currently winning that.

On the interior, Denzel Okafor is a typical Flood offensive guard. Perhaps Flood would like a player a bit quicker, but Okafor will suffice.

That really leaves the only true tinkering down to what Flood decides to do at center. Go with Jake Majors or insert Junior Angilau?

Majors played exceedingly well in action late in his true freshman year when taking over for the injured Kerstetter. Angilau is a returning multi-year starter at guard who is auditioning for the center spot as well.

Angilau can likely be more of an asset in power run situations than Majors at center. But is an Angilau-Tope Imade combo at center-guard better than the Majors-Angilau combination overall?

Based on what I’ve heard, early returns are kind of what we’d expect, although the lack of full team settings and contact scrimmages have yet to solidify the decision.

As of now, it’s Majors at center with Angilau and Okafor working at guard, and Jones and Kerstetter at tackle.

But it’s important to remember this is not set in stone. Flood still wants to tinker in scrimmage situations.

About he OL tinkering, just remember:  The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.

33 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby on OL

I'm not sure Keilan fits with Flood's OL scheme, but maybe he's just wiry. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I don’t remember ever hearing about Casey in practice reports the last three years the way Card has been this off-season. I imagine Casey was more efficient and accurate than Sam in shorts.  

to be fair, backups are not getting many opportunities to show off when you have a very clear QB1

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

The next time an announcer highlights a block made by Okafor will be the first for this 6th year player. If he’s penciled in at right guard, we’re in trouble.

Okafor is one of the last Strong recruits on the team. He will now playing for his 3rd head coach. Amazing

19 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I have zero idea of what to expect from this team except knowing these reports are bullshit. I think 9 wins is probably the realistic number. 

Let me help you out:

OL A - lost a ton of weight and is firing off the ball and looks way better than the 4 year starter he's replacing!

WR X - is making plays all over the field and looks ready to have a break out season!

Backup DL Y - is causing havoc all over the backfield and will challenge for the starting job!

Backup RB Z - looks explosive, don't be surprised to see him force his way into the rotation!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:
17 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Nahlin and Gerry

Real quickly with an assist from Gerry.

Just curious.  What’s really quick? The not so short update?  Seems about average length.  The effort put into sources telling him and finding information? Seems about normal.  
the effort put into making shit up?  Again seems about normal.  

Does anyone really believe this shit or put a lot of stock in these? 
where my 9.95?

Edited by Eugene11

Just now, Muy Frio said:

He’ll barely be able to contain himself with a Louisiana team on the field against us. 

I’m so glad I’ll be at the game so I don’t have to hear that cunt. He’s going to be absolutely miserable for this game. I think a booth of Galindo and Kurt Bowels might be more bearable. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

Just curious.  What’s really quick? The not so short update?  Seems about average length.  The effort put into sources telling him and finding information? Seems about normal.  
the effort put into making shit up?  Again seems about normal.  

Does anyone really believe this shit or put a lot of stock in these? 
where my 9.95?

I remember when Jeffcoat was being recruited (I think 2010) I got into the whole recruitocosm and 247 thing and ate up every word of it. Didn't take long to figure out the taste of snake oil 

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

FUCK -- BRANDO 1ST GAME !!! 

Be Quiet Go Away GIF by Ryn Dean

...unless we blow them out. Then I'll unmute to listen to this dejected asshole's tears. I'm looking at this as a glass half-full situation.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

22 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m so glad I’ll be at the game so I don’t have to hear that cunt. He’s going to be absolutely miserable for this game. I think a booth of Galindo and Kurt Bowels might be more bearable. 

I'll be at a bachelor party in Louisville with a bunch of NFL fans who scheduled all the distillery tours on Saturday. Following on Twitter instead of TV sucks, but at least I'll be drunk and won't be able to hear those assholes.

11 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Be Quiet Go Away GIF by Ryn Dean

...unless we blow them out. Then I'll unmute to listen to this dejected asshole's tears. I'm looking at this as a glass half-full situation.

This. If we can bait that fuck-stick into calling us "classless" for daring to throw a touchdown pass with a double-digit fourth quarter lead, that would make for a nice little Saturday all around.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

This. If we can bait that fuck-stick into calling us "classless" for daring to throw a touchdown pass with a double-digit fourth quarter lead, that would make for a nice little Saturday all around.

hopefully Sark decides to lean into all the Texas hate, if they already hate us because they aint us may as well ride the wave and get the reps and style points 

Nahlin

Texas fans — the ones who don’t have battered fan syndrome, anyway — find upside in the season based on a new coaching staff known for getting the most out of talented rosters.

The coaches find upside in the season based on the ability to unlock athleticism through a course correction in S&C, tailoring scheme to fit the pieces on hand, and improving fundamentals and football IQ across the board. This is commonly referred to as “coaching’em up.”

Indeed, if the staff can coach up a roster containing a good mix of talent and experience, Texas could be back yet again, yet again.

To get an indication if the coaches are as advertised, here are some signs we’ll be looking for through August camp and the early portions of the season.

Quarterback — getting through progressions

Both quarterbacks can at times lock on to a primary receiver. This has led to a couple of ill-advised throws where it appeared the throw was predetermined pre-snap. 

Hudson Card is a little quicker through his reads, but he can still show improvement. 

Casey Thompson is showing more aggression throwing to his receivers rather than checking down, but he does go from primary read to check-down too quickly.

Running backs — finding the right mix

It’ll be incumbent on the coaches to find the sweet spot of featuring Bijan Robinson and spelling him with Roschon Johnson or Keilan Robinson. 

When in 20 personnel, they’ll want to maximize who is doing what. Roschon Johnson is a game blocker who plays with urgency and anger. K. Robinson is legitimately fast, has excellent hands, and punches above his weight when it comes to running hard. If there’s a guy you want in space with open grass, it’s him. B. Robinson can do it all.

Playing talented guys to their strengths is a good problem to have but too often in the past we’ve seen a good play-call go to the wrong player.

The running back room is already well versed on the nuances of the position, now it’s time to cut them loose individually in the most effective manner possible.

Wide receiver — beating the press

If you can’t get off the line of scrimmage as a receiver it doesn’t matter how good you are otherwise. For Texas to take advantage of the play action passing game, the speed guys to the outside are going to have to consistently beat pressure at the line.

Sarkisian will employ tricks to get Xavier Worthy open, motioning him like he did DeVonta Smith to allow the build up of speed pre-snap, but Worthy will become that much more dangerous earlier in his career if he can win off the snap from the X or Z position. The same goes for other sinewy players like Joshua Moore and Kelvontay Dixon.

Tight end — blocking

The coaches are going to have to motivate these guys to get after it, especially from an attached alignment. Jeff Banks seems like the guy to do just that.

Jared Wiley’s length should serve as a structural advantage many other tight ends don’t have. There’s no excuse for him to not become a plus blocker.

If these guys don’t get it done as blockers, Sarkisian is going to need to prove he’s not Tom Herman by altering course and going with more 20 or 10 personnel.

Offensive line — unit cohesion 

A good way we’d understand this is how well they pick up stunts. So far in practice they’re doing okay at it, but we’ve also heard running line games needs to improve for the defensive line so we’re entering zero sum territory. 

We might not have clarity on this until a few scrimmages at the earliest, but more likely during the season when they’re seeing different stunts for the first time.

The first two games should tell us a lot.

Defensive line — EDGE’s getting to the QB

Pete Kwiatkowski has the reputation for developing pass rushers from the bottom up. He’s routinely taken lowly rated players and developed them into NFL draft picks. 

The trade of Oscar Giles for Bo Davis and PK represents the greatest positional coaching improvement stemming from the overhaul. PK doesn’t have the depth and overall talent to work with Davis does, but he does have two physically mature veterans who should be solid at minimum. Reminder to the internet, not everything is a strength or weakness.

Both Jacoby Jones and Ray Thornton will play the run well, but will either one, let alone both, be able to consistently get pressure on the quarterback? By simply playing their position, interior pressure should funnel quarterbacks to them, but this defense will have the chance to be very good if the ends are able to win one on one on their own. Improved fundamentals should help.

Linebacker — playing decisively 

When was the last time we saw this? I guess for spells in 2017? Decisiveness stems from quality coaching and leads to fast linebackers. So far, DeMarvion Overshown and Luke Brockermeyer are playing pretty decisive. They’re fitting the run well — with an assist from the defensive line — and taking quick, confident drops into the curl/crossing zone leading to turnovers.

As the offensive coaches dial up schemes and introduce more conflict, we’ll be paying attention to whether or not the linebackers are still playing decisively.

Secondary — Ball-hawking

Texas will very likely start four seniors and sophomore Jerrin Thompson who possesses good instincts and field awareness. The best secondaries are often as experienced as they are talented.

Brenden Schooler and D’Shawn Jamison both possess good ball skills. BJ Foster still has some pure football ability he’s shown sporadically throughout his career, and he has better play-making ability than his two career interceptions indicate. In limited playing time, Je. Thompson got his hands on a good number of passes. Jo. Thompson‘s coverage ability will have him in 50/50 contention quite a bit.

The corners are going to have their eyes on the quarterback more so than they have in the past. This should play well in Jamison’s favor, other than when it doesn’t. He’s a gambler by nature but the thinking is he’ll beat the house more often than not.

Ball-hawking can stem from elite athleticism, but some of the best ball-hawks are high IQ football players who were in the right place at the right time, by design. 

We’ll be looking for that design and whether or not the players can take advantage.

Sarkisian the head coach — projecting himself on the team

In many ways, Sarkisian’s prepared, humble, laid back approach, is the prefect course correction from Tom Herman. The team is clearly looser and enjoying itself much more than it has in the recent past. Will that manifest on Saturdays in the All Gas, No Brakes fashion Sarkisian is hoping for?

That question can’t be answered until week-three at the earliest, but if the above questions are answered positively, I have an idea how Sark’s first season is going to go.

• Hook 'Em 9

Joe Cook

Junior wide receiver Joshua Moore and sophomore tight end Brayden Liebrock were not present during the media viewing portion of Wednesday's practice at Darrell K Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium. We will find out more about the reason behind their absence.

As a result, here is what the order at outside wide receiver looked like when paired up during drills:
1st: Troy Omeire and Marcus Washington
2nd: Al'vonte Woodard and Kelvontay Dixon
3rd: Casey Cain and Montrell Estell
4th: Paxton Adnerson and Kartik Akkihal (walk-ons)

Once again, Casey Thompson and Hudson Card functioned as 1A and 1B during these passing drills.

Slot receiver remained:
1st: Jordan Whittington
2nd: Xavier Worthy
3rd: Kai Money
4th: Jaden Alexis
5th: DaJon Harrison (still in his green no-contact jersey)
6th: Parker Alford (walk-on)

Any receiver who dropped a pass during the viewing session was required to do 10 up-downs. 

Liebrock's absence meant the tight ends ran in this order when the passing drill with the quarterbacks required two tight ends
1st: Cade Brewer and Jared Wiley
2nd: Juan Davis and Gunnar Helm
3rd: Nathan Hatter (w-o) and Ja'Tavion Sanders.

All offensive linemen save for the dinged up Isaiah Hookfin were accounted for.

• Hook 'Em 4

Gerry on 13 key players for the season

Fun discussion. Tear it up!

There could be quite the argument made which players are most important this season. For Texas to maximize as a team, there are certain positions and players that must come through.

One will immediately notice defensive backs weren’t included on the list. That has nothing to do with talent or importance, but confidence they will perform.

With that said, four positions will tell the story of the 2021 Texas team. And the players at those positions are vital to the Longhorns ascending on the field under Steve Sarkisian.

13. Cameron Dicker, K, Senior

The experience of a kicker can’t be talked about enough. Especially one as talented as Dicker. The local product will very likely be the difference in two or three games this season.

12. Moro Ojomo, DL, Junior

Ojomo has been a player that has enjoyed a strong off-season under the new staff. If Ojomo takes a big step this season, Texas will have the best interior defensive line in the conference.

11. Troy Omeire, WR, Redshirt Freshman

Omeire coming off the ACL injury and becoming a ball winner is imperative this season. Texas doesn’t have another receiver with his size, wingspan and skill set. And that means he can be a difference maker for a first year starting quarterback when under duress.

10. T’Vondre Sweat, DL, Junior

The 6-foot-4, 335-pound defensive tackle has had the look of a future NFL Draft pick his first two seasons. The staff needs him be that with more consistency this season, and while carrying less weight.

9. Keilan Robinson, RB, Sophomore TR

Robinson brings the speed and playmaking the Texas offense needs in numbers. And he brings it from a championship program. The ability to impact the offense as a running back and out of the backfield provides Sarkisian a big weapon.

8. Keondre Coburn, DL, Junior

Snacks Coburn has taken to the new staff with a feeling of the opportunity to maximize his potential. Texas lack of EDGE production is worthy of discussion, but it will be the interior that determines how good this defense ultimately become.

7. Derek Kerstetter, RT, Senior

Kerstetter must have a healthy and productive season at right tackle for the Longhorns to ascend on the field. No way around it. Kyle Flood needs Kerstetter to turn in a third-team All-Big 12 level season, and take pressure off playing an inexperienced tackle.

6.DeMarvion Overshown, LB, Senior

While the interior of the defensive line will tell the story this season, Overshown has to be a playmaker. Not only does Overshown need to perform like an early NFL Draft pick caliber player, but also an All-Big 12 performer.

5. Xavier Worthy, WR, True Freshman 

The On3 five-star in the class of 2021 has a level of speed and playmaking the Texas offense sorely needs. Worthy has turned heads since arriving in Austin, and that has continued through four practices in August. Starting game one is not out of the question.

4. Alfred Collins, DL, Sophomore

Texas needs their top future NFL Draft prospects to play like NFL prospects, and this is especially true on the defensive line. Collins is easily the most gifted of the group, and has to show it on the field.

3. Christian Jones, LT, Junior

Jones got his athletic feet wet last season at right tackle, and now must take a big step. He moves into the most important position for a team with a right-handed quarterback, and pressure comes with that. If Jones holds up and takes the next step, the Longhorns will be a surprise team this season.

2. Bijan Robinson, RB, Sophomore

If Texas is to ascend on the field this season, Robinson will have to become one of the college footballs best offensive players. And he’s on track to become just that. Robinson should be fresh with nearly every carry as well. Roschon Johnson and Keilan Robinson provide talented depth in spades.

1. Hudson Card, QB, Redshirt Freshman

Texas will have a first year starting quarterback in year one under Steve Sarkisian. I am picking Card because of the total package. The arm talent, quick release, terrific feet and off-schedule playmaking. Card’s ability to use the entire field, and do so on the move will be the difference in the competition. The winner of the quarterback competition will instantly become the most important player for Texas this season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Let me help you out:
OL A - lost a ton of weight and is firing off the ball and looks way better than the 4 year starter he's replacing!
WR X - is making plays all over the field and looks ready to have a break out season!
Backup DL Y - is causing havoc all over the backfield and will challenge for the starting job!
Backup RB Z - looks explosive, don't be surprised to see him force his way into the rotation!

It’s a bit different when these comments are coming directly from the players. The comments about keilan and worthy are straight from the horse’s mouth
  • Fuck You 1