2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

TFB
Spoiler

I have to say this surprised me a bit. And, I’m not saying I agree with this assessment.
But, I was told that the staff seems to not only like the team they’ve got but there are apparently some on the staff who believe they will go undefeated in Sark’s first season.
Coming from Alabama you have to think they have a pretty decent gauge on what talent looks like. So, either they really like the team or don’t think much of the schedule. Or, perhaps some combination of the two.

200.gif

I feel like this is the first time in a long time that we are hearing about the defense being ahead of the offense. So pour me a cup.

When I get too hopped on Kool-Aid it’s good for me to remember that Luke Brockermeyer and Brendan Schooler are running with the 1s on defense.

What’s better than one coach on the field? Two coaches on the field. 
Luke has good genes...we should all be rooting for him to wreck shit and get drafted ahead of his bros. As for Schooler, that dude is athletic af and played DB before..and is NFL age by now. Maybe the second coming of Jason Seahorn?

Glad to hear the staff is quietly optimistic. Hope they are right. However, I can’t help but think of another Alabama coordinator that took over the HC position at a program, Jeremy Pruitt at Tennessee. Apparently before his first game he was going around telling boosters that they were going to be pleasantly surprised and that they “had something” for West Virginia in the 2018 opener. Final score: 40-14 WVU. 

I do think this Texas team is a lot more talented than that Tennessee team was, and more importantly, Sark is not a North Alabama shithouse rat ignoramus, so maybe there’s a reason to get excited. We’ll know one way or the other fairly early.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Muy Frio said:

When I get too hopped on Kool-Aid it’s good for me to remember that Luke Brockermeyer and Brendan Schooler are running with the 1s on defense.

What’s better than one coach on the field? Two coaches on the field. 

I heard on the Blitz podcast this morning that in Schooler’s 400+ snaps playing saftey at Oregon, he had a higher PFF coverage grade than any Texas defender since Holton Hill in 2017. He also seems to be very willing to throw his body around. I think he’ll be a more than capable starter. The physicality Schooler & BJ bring will also allow the defense to run more dime looks. Corner is the position that worries me. We have two decent starters and bunch of young guys. 

Edited by CastHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Glad to hear the staff is quietly optimistic. Hope they are right. However, I can’t help but think of another Alabama coordinator that took over the HC position at a program, Jeremy Pruitt at Tennessee. Apparently before his first game he was going around telling boosters that they were going to be pleasantly surprised and that they “had something” for West Virginia in the 2018 opener. Final score: 40-14 WVU. 

I do think this Texas team is a lot more talented than that Tennessee team was, and more importantly, Sark is not a North Alabama shithouse rat ignoramus, so maybe there’s a reason to get excited. We’ll know one way or the other fairly early.

This is sensational 

10 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

There was this other coach who said: "After you retire, there's only one big event left....and I ain't ready for that." That coach was Bobby Bowden. Well, shit changes. Just because Jeremy Pruitt was an idoit that doesn't make Sark dumb.

19 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I heard on the Blitz podcast this morning that in Schooler’s 400+ snaps playing saftey at Oregon, he had a higher PFF coverage grade than any Texas defender since Hilton Hill in 2017. He also seems to be very willing to throw his body around. I think he’ll be a more than capable starter. The physicality Schooler & BJ bring will also allow the defense to run more dime looks. Corner is the position that worries me. We have two decent starters and bunch of young guys. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.e8526a3c436591a4d8f604b21c3835ab.png

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

I want to believe this but unless it’s Flood who thinks we go undefeated, in not holding my breath

this guy gets it. Unless the dude who went 4-8 in his last season as a HC and was fired for cause due to numerous player felony arrests and violations of school policies for trying to force professors to make his players eligible, thinks we’re going undefeated, then I’m not buying it for a second. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

this guy gets it. Unless the dude who went 4-8 in his last season as a HC and was fired for cause due to numerous player felony arrests and violations of school policies for trying to force professors to make his players eligible, thinks we’re going undefeated, then I’m not buying it for a second. 

I’ll rephrase: we might be able to overcome some short comings, but we’ll go as far as the OL takes us. 

Just now, texifornia said:

Feels about right to start off

19 would put us around 10-12 by OU with an undefeated start of the season…

Hard to complain too much about that. Show out on the field and then up being in position to hang out in the 8-15 range all season.

3 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

19 would put us around 10-12 by OU with an undefeated start of the season…

Hard to complain too much about that. Show out on the field and then up being in position to hang out in the 8-15 range all season.

If we’re 5-0 going into the OU game, we’ll easily be in the top 10. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

TFB
I have to say this surprised me a bit. And, I’m not saying I agree with this assessment.
But, I was told that the staff seems to not only like the team they’ve got but there are apparently some on the staff who believe they will go undefeated in Sark’s first season.
Coming from Alabama you have to think they have a pretty decent gauge on what talent looks like. So, either they really like the team or don’t think much of the schedule. Or, perhaps some combination of the two.
Y'all remember when Herman thought his first year oline was better than the OSU NC oline? I remember...
here-we.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Seems a bit high to me for a team not returning it’s starting QB and entering the year with a new coaching staff. Thankfully pre-season polls are junk and don’t matter.   

Eh, 15-25 is basically "could beat anyone if they put the pieces together" and "overarchieving underdogs." We should be favored vs ULaLa, who have definitely earned a spot in the 20s, so it checks out.

• Hook 'Em 1

If we’re 5-0 going into the OU game, we’ll easily be in the top 10. 

Uh yeah, this. That’s a win over a ranked ULL team, road win over Arkansas (not good but SEC hype), road win at TCU who may well be undefeated and ranked at the time. Hell, decent chance Tech is 3-0 when we play them. The hype machine will be fucking rolling if Texas is 5-0 with two significant road wins and at least one top 25 win.
  • Drool 1

32 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Seems a bit high to me for a team not returning it’s starting QB and entering the year with a new coaching staff. Thankfully pre-season polls are junk and don’t matter.   

New QB or seasoned QB in a new system is closer to a wash, but I don't think it is high at all. We have a heisman candidate in the backfield, a deep defense with the best DC we have had since Boom, and a pretty damn good play caller at the helm. I am confident we are going to be a factor in the B12 race this year. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 4

This is one of those years most of the top teams are breaking in a new QB, including the past two winners of it all.

Last time we went into the Shootout undefeated was 2011 and they fucked us sideways that game. The past 3 times we've beaten them we've been 3-2, 1-4, and 4-1. So we need to drop at least 1 to beat the goons. Who's it gonna be?

Edited by Eggo

Undefeated? 5-0 heading into the shootout?
Never change, boys.

I mean, I don’t think that’s gonna be the case. I think it’s slightly more likely than not TCU is a L and there’s a non zero chance of losing to ULL and/or Arkansas (although not too much above zero on the latter). So I doubt that will be the case, just entertaining the hypothetical.

3 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Undefeated? 5-0 heading into the shootout?

Never change, boys.

Well none of those game is individually terribly frightening (except for the house of horrors TCU away has been for Texas, no matter how shitty the Frogs are), but yeah consistency is not this program's strong suit.

5 hours ago, nycHorn said:

TFB

Hide contents

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well none of those game is individually terribly frightening (except for the house of horrors TCU away has been for Texas, no matter how shitty the Frogs are), but yeah consistency is not this program's strong suit.

Please for the love of all that is holy, let us beat the shit out of TCU. While we are at it, let’s go undefeated and win it all. I know, I’m not asking for much. 

• Hook 'Em 4

41 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Last time we went into the Shootout undefeated was 2011 and they fucked us sideways that game. The past 3 times we've beaten them we've been 3-2, 1-4, and 4-1. So we need to drop at least 1 to beat the goons. Who's it gonna be?

Are we playing Maryland this year?

• Rage+1 2

35 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I mean, I don’t think that’s gonna be the case. I think it’s slightly more likely than not TCU is a L and there’s a non zero chance of losing to ULL and/or Arkansas (although not too much above zero on the latter). So I doubt that will be the case, just entertaining the hypothetical.

Fuck TCU in their purple pussies. We played terrible against them last year and still would have beaten them if Ash hadn’t decided to split our defensive tackles out wide and let their qb run up the middle untouched. This team is more talented and I believe for the first time in a long time has coaching that can compete with sweaty ass Fatterson.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I'm not a pee to sit down kind of guy and I think this team should win 10 games (regular season- so 10-2) but I've got Arkansas at Arkansas as much more than "not too much above zero" chance of losing. That seems ambitious.  

12 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

Fuck TCU in their purple pussies. We played terrible against them last year and still would have beaten them if Ash hadn’t decided to split our defensive tackles out wide and let their qb run up the middle untouched. This team is more talented and I believe for the first time in a long time has coaching that can compete with sweaty ass Fatterson.

Even with all that if they would have slowed down the hurry up and let Ingram rest we win pretty easily after that fuck up. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm not a pee to sit down kind of guy and I think this team should win 10 games (regular season- so 10-2) but I've got Arkansas at Arkansas as much more than "not too much above zero" chance of losing. That seems ambitious.  

They'll be amped up but they're also not very good at football. Even with Baby Briles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They'll be amped up but they're also not very good at football. Even with Baby Briles.

Yeah- but they were kind of shitty and VY barely beat them in 03?  04?   I never underestimate their ability to get up for a game against us while we view them as no big deal.  Being in the same conference might mitigate some of that effect.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, nycHorn said:

TFB

Hide contents

Excited Oh Yeah GIF

Finally a level headed objective opinion on our team. I am getting so tired of the pre-season hype machine.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- but they were kind of shitty and VY barely beat them in 03?  04?  

They were still decent. Matt Jones was their QB. But yes, they always get up to play us more than anyone else.

Edited by Tex Pete

Yeah, uh, when you consistently “play terrible” against a certain opponent, to the tune of 2-8 in a decade, it gets to “I’ll believe it when I see it” territory. Texas definitely could beat TCU but it feels silly to call that a W when this group has dropped a couple in a row to TCU teams that were likely worse than this one is going to be.

Piggy isn’t there yet. That program was a total rebuild starting last year. They’ll be amped but that is not a good team. If Texas loses that game it’s time to look for another coach because that’s a colossal failure.

Also, beyond Wulaw’s take, the general sentiment on this site that we should roll teams like TCU but Arkansas is this big early season challenge against a quality opponent really makes no sense. Arkansas sucks and would be lucky to be anything better than 7th in the Big 12.
  • Hook 'Em 1