2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

32 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Murphy with his alleged strength, size, and his physique kind of reminds me of a young Aaron Donald. It is to be determined if he has the speed and quickness to match that.

image.jpeg.b7f80bac1ff8e1c2bfd02a57d867341c.jpeg

image.png.9df592707b02da403b1c28ae6ca8ae3e.png

let's try not to compare a guy who has never taken a snap outside of high school to a guy who is one of the greatest defensive players of all time.

• 7 NFL seasons
  • 7 pro bowls
  • 6 first team all pro
  • unanimous all decade 2010's team even though he only played 6 of the 10 years
  • 3x NFL DPOY as a DT
Spoiler

also, Donald was 6'1, 260 going in to Pitt

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

let's try not to compare a guy who has never taken a snap outside of high school to a guy who is one of the greatest defensive players of all time.

• 7 NFL seasons
  • 7 pro bowls
  • 6 first team all pro
  • unanimous all decade 2010's team even though he only played 6 of the 10 years
  • 3x NFL DPOY as a DT
  Hide contents

also, Donald was 6'1, 260 going in to Pitt

No where in that did I compare him to Donald as a pro....literally said from a size standpoint, strenght, and physique. 

Alos this is interesting given his ratings out of high school for Donald.

image.png.0036f03d2f66308cdcc3a472a77f4c9b.png

Murphy

image.png.684aafe6c88998cb5cd8e8350514f78a.png

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

Burton

It’s Monday. There have now been three Texas practices and a fourth one scheduled for later today.

Here are some notes I’ve picked up…

I’m told that no matter the order we see in the media viewing period that Kitan Crawford is likely to get some run with the 1s.

“He’s just that talented,” a team source said.

But that wasn’t the only cornerback of note.

I’m told Jahdae Barron has really come on in his sophomore campaign.

Both young corners are delivering the goods early in camp.

While the main scuttlebutt from summer workouts and 7-on-7 work was just how electric Xavier Worthy was, it remained to be seen just how good he would be in a full team setting, how well he operated when it was 11-on-11, both mentally and physically.

Well, the response thus far has been nothing short of excellent.

“He’s not scared”, a source said of Worthy and his mentality about going over the middle. “He’s a competitive dude. He’s going to be a major part of the offense.”

Could he start over Jordan Whittington?

“We’re going to have to find a way to get him (Worthy) on the field, period” the source said. “I’m not sure what that will mean for anyone else yet.”

You never know when guys will take the next step and live up to their immense athletic ability, or unfortunately if they will ever make that transition from high school to college -Texas has had too many of the latter to count.

But Worthy, if coaches have it right, is one of those guys where it all comes together.

Being just the third practice, it’s hard to dissect the offensive line, especially with Isaiah Hookfin sidelined.

But with Hookfin sidelined, it’s pretty clear that Texas has settled into the idea of Derek Kerstetter starting at right tackle. He is currently backed up by a walk-on.

The real battle seems to be on the left side at tackle where Christian Jones and Andrej Karic are both spending the majority of their time.

I’m told by a source that has been watching Texas for decades that this Texas team looks in better overall shape than they have in a while, not a lot of extra weight around the middle on the big guys.

They look more “explosive”. Perhaps that’s personnel, perhaps it’s off-season training, I don’t know. Just something to keep in mind, though I know Eric has a comment or two coming later today that might fit into that discussion.

• Hook 'Em 7

Bobby follow up comment on Crawford

I wasn’t told Kitan had run with the 1s yet, only that he’s looking good enough that he might force the situation. Thompson, in particular, can get handsy

And yes, I think Texas would be not smart to start effectively three safeties in the secondary against most Big 12 opponents, and that’s where it has looked like it was headed the first few days of practice.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

No where in that did I compare him to Donald as a pro....literally said from a size standpoint, strenght, and physique. 

Alos this is interesting given his ratings out of high school for Donald.

image.png.0036f03d2f66308cdcc3a472a77f4c9b.png

Murphy

image.png.684aafe6c88998cb5cd8e8350514f78a.png

Anyone else you want to make comparisons to? Gerald McCoy maybe? How about Vince Wilfork? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

By: Eric, Gerry, and Justin

One of the big mysteries of the summer has surrounded linebacker DeMarvion Overshown’s role. The senior athlete with elite athleticism for the position had been working at Sam linebacker. The problem there, is, Sam comes off the field when the defense goes to nickel and its hard to envision Overshown leaving the field.

Agent Zero, the Arm Bandit, has been at Will linebacker to start camp. Will is essentially the most middle inside linebacker. It’s not nearly as confusing as it seems. His time spent at Sam was likely to give others more reps inside, but perhaps to also get him ready to rush the passer on 3rd down.

David Gbenda is second team Will. Luke Brockermeyer is the starting Mike. We reported after the spring he’d get a crack at starting and that is indeed the case. Behind him is Jaylan Ford. Those two will have a spirited competition but don’t rule out Gbenda figuring into the Mike discussion.

When asked how the linebackers have looked so far, IT was told Overshown already has 2-3 interceptions in ‘team’ work and Brockermeyer has one as well. Overall the defense is ahead of the offense, which was particularly obvious in Sundays night time practice.

Overshown at Will promotes Ovie Oghoufo to starting Sam. Alabama transfer Ben Davis will compete with the Notre Dame transfer when he’s back to full health. It’s likely Davis’ position to lose.

Another minor move is the corners flipping sides of the field. Josh Thompson is at field corner and D’Shawn Jamison is at boundary. As we routinely mention, Kitan Crawford is on a mission to see the field this year. He is viewed as having the highest upside of any defensive back currently on the team.

We mentioned Jerrin Thompson’s move to nickel last week. That puts Brenden Schooler at strong safety and BJ Foster at free safety.

Starting 12 if Texas had a game today (includes both Sam and nickel):

XOLB Ray Thornton, 3-tech Moro Ojomo, NT Keondre Coburn, JOLB Jacoby Jones
WLB DeMarvion Overshown, MLB Luke Brockermeyer, SLB Ovie Oghoufo
Nickel Jerrin Thompson, FCB Josh Thompson, FS BJ Foster, SS Brenden Schooler, BCB D’Shawn Jamison

Two big competitions on offense are quarterback and center.

We’ve heard of no big disparity between Casey Thompson and Hudson Card, though Thompson has thrown some picks when challenging the middle of the field. One source was happy to see him being more aggressive, even if it didn’t always work out. The scrimmage this Saturday is going to be way more telling than practice. “It’ll sort itself out,” said a source.

Another competition is at center where Jake Majors and Junior Angilau are battling it out. We’ve heard of no big discrepancy there. When Majors is at center, Angilau is at right guard. When Angilau is at center, Tope Imade is at right guard.

The offensive line hasn’t gotten much push but the run game has been vanilla so far, aside from running more 20 personnel than during the spring. When in 20, it can be any mix of Bijan Robinson, Roschon Johnson, and Keilan Robinson. But it’s usually Bijan and one of Roschon or Keilan.

The personnel package being run the most is two tight ends (12 personnel). That has been exclusively Cade Brewer and Jared Wiley with the ones. Brewer is down 10 pounds and looking the best he has since the knee injury he suffered his freshman year.

The receivers are Jordan Whittington and Joshua Moore. Xavier Worthy continues to be mentioned and it’s very possible he starts this year, whether it’s inside or outside.

Troy Omeire’s hands were mentioned as a positive at the position. I’m not sure we’ll know how well he’s truly moving until the season opener.

Overall, wide receivers are off to a bit of a slow start. Whittington’s consistency and Worthy’s athleticism are the lone high points so far. There are too many drops and too many missed assignments.

Starting 11 if Texas had a game today.

QB Casey Thompson OR Hudson Card
RB Bijan Robinson
TE Jared Wiley and Cade Brewer
WR Jordan Whittington and Joshua Moore
OL (L-R) Christian Jones-Denzel Okafor-Jake Majors-Junior Angilau-Derek Kerstetter

There are still 20+ practices remaining so the depth chart is not close to being set.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

It was this or "team has added weight, each guy has put on ten pounds of muscle without losing agility." 

One year it was calves. Everyone's calves looked HUGE! And one year forearms were a thing. I think that that was when Wylie first came in. Now everyone's explosive.

9 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Money coming in on Texas has shifted our National Championship odds from 100-1 up to 30-1

Screenshot_20210810-002125_ESPN.jpg

That's as it should be.  100-1 was stupid odds for a Texas national title. Do I think we are going to win a title? of course not.  But if we beat OU in December in Arlington we are likely playing for one- and it's not like the idea of Texas beating Iowa State is so hard to fathom that it's super unlikely we will play in that game in Arlington.  If you get in the playoff you figure the longest odds are what- 10 or 12-1?  8-1?  6-1?  yeah.  100-1 never made sense. I'd have it at something like 40 or 50-1 I think.  

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Siap 54BDA543-51CD-440D-B256-BA2A99BB6E91.thumb.jpeg.496bc11bf8a4d801a58f68296c6dbc2d.jpegYou know I put a lot of coin on Texas over 7.5.  Felt good about it but after seeing this I’m ready to book my trip to Niagara falls

i can't believe these stupid fucking idiots still post shit like this. 

"i'm tellin' ya, those boys look like GROWN ASS MEN!!!!" [/ericnahlin retarded folksy radio voice that makes me want to kill myself]

maybe we will be able to compete with 4-6 tcu this year with our recent explosiveness revelations.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Thank God for Worthy.

Sark going big in the portal may have saved the season before it began. Worthy being a difference maker on the outside, Keilan Robinson providing game changing explosiveness and versatility in the backfield, and a shit ton of quality LB and edge depth were all dire points of need. I think it will translate into another win or two throughout the season. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Sark going big in the portal may have saved the season before it began. Worthy being a difference maker on the outside, Keilan Robinson providing game changing explosiveness and versatility in the backfield, and a shit ton of quality LB and edge depth were all dire points of need. I think it will translate into another win or two throughout the season. 

Picking up worthy and Keilan turned out to be great decisions that I sort of overlooked when they happened