2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

6 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I do think they’ll let the backup throw against Rice as opposed to just hand off. And I think there’s a very real chance Arkansas and Tech both turn into the kind of laughers where the backup plays.

Holy shit I’m pretty sure I’ve read this exact sentiment several times over the last several years. I really hope your prediction is correct this year, if not I think we’re fucked.

• Like 1

Troy in the spring game on 1 and a half leg looked really damn good from getting in and out of his breaks. If he's 100% he's going to be a game changer for us. Add in Worthy, who we have no one like him on our roster to compare and that is a good combo. Fill in the rest with a combination of Whittington, Moore, Dixon, whomever as long as Kai Money isn't receiving significant reps during crucial parts of the game. I don't think past performance with a different coaching staff and scheme can dictate future performance with a new staff and scheme.

• Hook 'Em 2

Bobby Burton

As I write this, Texas football players are getting up and headed to a team breakfast.

Then they’ll split into offense and defense meetings. After that, there’s a walk-through and then there’s lunch. They’re off for a couple of hours in the early afternoon.

Things will pick back up around 5pm with more meetings.

But at 6:45pm, football is actually here. That’s when Texas begins practice for the 2021 season. Sure, it’s helmets-only and not full contact.

Yet it is the official beginning.

Will Casey Thompson win the QB job or will Hudson Card overtake him? Just how big a part of the offense will speedy newcomers Keilan Robinson and Xavier Worthy be? What’s Pete Kwiatkowski’s defense really going to look like, will there be any tweaks for Big 12 opponents?

I’m ready for this. You’re ready for this. Let’s hope the coaches and team are ready for this, because the season is on its way no matter what.

But now that the season is officially here, we’re going to see what the product looks like on the field.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Troy in the spring game on 1 and a half leg looked really damn good from getting in and out of his breaks. If he's 100% he's going to be a game changer for us. Add in Worthy, who we have no one like him on our roster to compare and that is a good combo. Fill in the rest with a combination of Whittington, Moore, Dixon, whomever as long as Kai Money isn't receiving significant reps during crucial parts of the game. I don't think past performance with a different coaching staff and scheme can dictate future performance with a new staff and scheme.

This.  If Omeire can be the same guy that was wowing his teammates in camp last year that will be huge for this offense.  We know Bijan and company can run the ball - but we really need a true #1 WR that can go fight for the ball and pickup first downs. 

And now that the TE group is Surly Sponsored - we know they are going to ball out.  This offense is going to be a hell of a lot of fun to watch over the course of the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

Holy shit I’m pretty sure I’ve read this exact sentiment several times over the last several years. I really hope your prediction is correct this year, if not I think we’re fucked.

I mean, you’ll notice I didn’t include mighty ULL. I think Texas wins but I don’t buy that they’re so fine tuned in game 1 that they’re smoking a team that’s like 21-4 over the past two years and brings everyone back. I just think Arkansas, Rice, and Tech is as weak of a three game stretch as Texas has had in a long time.

From IT:

One minor position change has already occurred. Sophomore safety Jerrin Thompson has moved to first team nickel just ahead of Chris Adimora. For now, this clears up what will happen between seniors BJ Foster and Brenden Schooler. Rather than competing for the same spot, they’ll play alongside each other.

• Hook 'Em 4

Weird. I feel like Adimora is the best player out of those four. 

I only remember him making that one play versus Utah. I know he’s made others but I can’t remember them off the top o my head. He might have been a bit too bulky last year. He didn’t do anything to separate himself.

Unfortunately, the others don’t have huge highlight reels. But Foster can get after the QB. Schooler has the spring play in which he’s shot out of cannon to run down the ball carrier. And Thompson did make some plays in his limited action.

May the best dudes win out.
  • Like 1

I seem to recall the SID office had a prior policy where no freshman could be interviewed until they had played in a game. Of course, Sark could have changed the rules. I wonder how the NIL stuff affects the nature of what players are allowed to do at what point in their tenure moving forward (sorry, just rumblings from an old journalist)...

Nahlin:

Thursday was report day, which consists of a bunch of refreshers: rules, expectations of the players, reminders who to contact when players have differing issues, etc. You remember the necessary snooze fests that are orientations.

When it came to expectations, the coaches don’t attach a win total to it. They want guys playing with class and professionalism, grit, good special teams, eliminating mental mistakes, and attacking in all three phases of the game. Privately, Sarkisian thinks if things come together this team can be in the conversation for the playoffs. Unfortunately, it could also finish 3rd in the Big 12.

One minor position change has already occurred. Sophomore safety Jerrin Thompson has moved to first team nickel just ahead of Chris Adimora. For now, this clears up what will happen between seniors BJ Foster and Brenden Schooler. Rather than competing for the same spot, they’ll play alongside each other.

We’ll be monitoring competitions across the board but we need some practices to take place first.

Today, we caught up with a source on strengths and weaknesses of each position. These are not IT’s opinions.

QB

Strengths: Texas has two guys who are smart and can make all the throws in the offense.

Weaknesses: Getting through all the progressions and letting the ball go on time; trusting the receivers to make a play.

[source mentioned Card is quicker through his progressions and more likely to let it rip, but he still needs to improve too]

RB

S: Smart, good vision, good hands, good at everything, really. Even good in pass protection.

W: As a group? Hard to find a weakness as a group

OL

S: Getting better working as a team, together in concert. Still need more consistency. Individually improving in pass protection. Good leadership and experience. Good mix of crafty players and nasty players.

W: Individual guys missing assignments or a blitzer is a concern for August camp. Four guys might play it right but one guy messes it up.

TE

S: Route running and receiving. Jared Wiley and Brayden Liebrock, for their size, are really good. Juan Davis is like another receiver. Great hands and body control.

W: Blocking. Pass blocking is for sure a concern. They didn’t do much run blocking during the player practices. We’ll see how August goes. They have some tough matchups against veterans.

WR

S: Xavier Worthy. You know I’m leading with him. Overall, they’re improving route running and catching the ball more consistently. Worthy and Joshua Moore are good at attacking the ball.

[Jaden Alexis has been running good routes and making tough catches. Source says he just needs to ”have his balls drop.” As 95% of the board knows, that happens in time. The source also said Troy Omeire’s knee brace holds him back some]

W: Some guys need more urgency pressing the DB off the line and need to get more aggressive attacking the ball in the air.

[Bigger position groups can have conflicting strengths and weaknesses within the same group]

DL

S: Depth, ability is good versus the pass and run. Can get in the back field. Talent overall is good.

W: They can lose rush lanes, get out of position and lose gap integrity at times. Too many cutback lanes. Need to play better, more selfless as a unit — stick to the plan when running line games and do your job. They need to remember they can make the play without making the play.

LB

S: They’re athletic and can run to the ball.

S&W: These guys are smart but they don’t have much experience. They’ll get it but will make mistakes along the way.

W: They need to be more aware in coverage, more aware of the route tree. Communication on the field needs to improve. Gap integrity versus the run, they can get too antsy and get caught in the trash.

DB

S: Coverage in general. The corners are good in man or zone. Safeties are good within what they’re asked to do. If they’re in man it’s usually against a tight end.

W: Like with the linebackers, communication needs to improve.

We’re going to have a whole lot more on team in the coming weeks, we’ve just already covered pretty much everything we can without practices to discuss.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I just think Arkansas, Rice, and Tech is as weak of a three game stretch as Texas has had in a long time.

yeah?....well it has been just as long a time since Texas has been able to go 3-0 against a bunch like that....this has got to be the year

1 minute ago, oldhorn2 said:

yeah?....well it has been just as long a time since Texas has been able to go 3-0 against a bunch like that....this has got to be the year

I'm "scared to death" to look it up, but when's the last time we started 3-0 headed into conference play?