2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

22 minutes ago, YeeYeeCTE said:

Card’s throwing motion is so clean, good lord his mechanics are insane for only being a QB for a few years. Kids an athlete

He played WR at Lake Travis until Baldwin graduated, but he’s always been a qb. He’s probably had private coaching at that position since he was in the sixth grade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Askew said:

This is a great look at why Card is a more natural thrower.

You can tell Casey is jerking through motion to put more velocity on the ball: shoulders over-rotate, side bends his body into the throw, brings his right leg through his rotation late and unnaturally. This is all trying to overcome his lack fluid release through his elbow/wrist snap.

Contrast with Card whose body/rotation is synced with his hips. Great elbow extension and wrist snap to release the ball. Looks pretty effortless.

Ironically, Casey motion actually looks "faster" but you can tell that less velocity is transferring through the ball. He's swinging too hard at the golf ball. Casey doesn't look bad by any means, but when put side-by-side with Card, it is noticeable. 

If Aaron Rodgers's motionless wrist-flick motion is the ideal, Card is a lot closer to that. 

Either this delta-8 gets me a lot higher than I thought, or you're Joe Montana.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Eugene11 said:

Speaking of baseball home games.  How does that work in the sec.  ESPN+ or are we at the will of who they decide to show that week. I sure love my ability to watch the games from Oregon. 

I guess probably ESPN+ like you said. Good thing I just got the Disney Bundle from Verizon (Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ for $13.99). Saves me a few bucks. Fucking Mouse gonna get all the money eventually.

2 hours ago, Askew said:

This is a great look at why Card is a more natural thrower.

You can tell Casey is jerking through motion to put more velocity on the ball: shoulders over-rotate, side bends his body into the throw, brings his right leg through his rotation late and unnaturally. This is all trying to overcome his lack fluid release through his elbow/wrist snap.

Contrast with Card whose body/rotation is synced with his hips. Great elbow extension and wrist snap to release the ball. Looks pretty effortless.

Ironically, Casey motion actually looks "faster" but you can tell that less velocity is transferring through the ball. He's swinging too hard at the golf ball. Casey doesn't look bad by any means, but when put side-by-side with Card, it is noticeable. 

If Aaron Rodgers's motionless wrist-flick motion is the ideal, Card is a lot closer to that. 

Thats a whoooole lotta info gleaned from a spliced/chopped up :07 video of 2 guys throwing in shorts.

Jesus.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Giraffe and gazelle both start with the letter 'g.'

The Muppet Grover Teaches STEM on 'Sesame Street' - The Atlantic

In my defense, I read a comment on the travel board yesterday comparing Vince and giraffes, in that they are moving a whole lot faster than you would think by just looking at them run.

3 hours ago, CastHorn said:

Probably is, he looks like a giraffe in the open field though. You’d think a former wide receiver would be a more coordinated athlete. 

Member how Colt used to look after he took off? Then hit em with that spin move as he's going down. Always seemed like he got sharper passing after running for a first down and getting some contact.

On 8/5/2021 at 6:57 PM, texifornia said:

You know what I like about Freshmen?

On 8/7/2021 at 4:52 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Oh no a DC who actually knows his job what will I do

5 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Player's dad told me he thinks Thompson has "won" the QB battle bc they basically have to pick someone.This guy doesnt think there was going to be a real winner, and says he expects a clear step up in QB play from last year. This guy's son has seen every rep they have taken and doesnt know who he would pick. Sounds very promising. 

It's a nice problem to have. 

That said, I have this guilty hope that Thompson plays vs OU and torches them.

4 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Sark's track record as both a QB and developer of QBs is pretty damn solid.

My guess is that there are parts of this evaluation that only he'll really know/understand, and that whoever he picks will give us our best chance to win.

After our last two coaches, I'm far from a "trust the coaches" mindset on most things until they prove it, but specifically with Sark and quarterbacks I think we're in good hands.

I confess that after a brief dalliance with sensibility during the Tom Herman era, I'm all in on the Kool-Aid this time. Sark is doing and saying everything right so far. It's almost a shame we have to play a game.

But deep down inside ... show me a fucking loss. Because I can't see any.

• Hook 'Em 4

IT practice notes

Spoiler

More protective equipment was applied today as Texas Longhorn players were able to put on shoulder pads for the first time in pre-season training camp. The venue for practice was also different, as the Longhorns moved from the Frank Denius Fields to Darrell K Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium.

-This was my first time back in DKR since the Orange-White Game, and the progress made on the south end zone is a sight to see. From my vantage in the first few rows of the north end zone, the project is starting to look like club seating and bleachers surrounding the large Longhorn as opposed to a construction site. Finishing touches are being added, but I liked how it looked. There are two new flagpoles in the southeast and southwest corner for where they will fly the American and Texas flags during games. The turf looks good, too.

-A couple of scouts from the Kansas City Chiefs and New England Patriots were on hand to take in practice.

-Once again, media was only allowed to see some special teams and individual drills. Once again, the defense was on the far side of the field but DeMarvion Overshown was working with the inside linebackers. I'll have more on Overshown later, who spoke to the media yesterday along with Joshua Moore and Derek Kerstetter.

-The pecking order at punter was Cameron Dicker - Ryan Bujcevski -- Isaac Pearson during drills. 

-The offensive line depth chart looked nearly identical to theone seen in the first practice, with one small modification. Walk-on Chad Wolf, who was previously fourth string at left tackle, was repping at right tackle today. It may have something to do with Isaiah Hookfin's absence (currently in a walking boot). That makes right tackle look like this: Derek Kerstetter -- Michael Balis (w-o) -- Chad Wolf (w-o). 

-Christian Jones, Andrej Karic, and Jaylen Garth were at left tackle during the viewing period.

-Kyle Flood doesn't mess around. The offensive line was situated just in front of the seats occupied by media in the north end zone, and he was constantly talking, whether it was praise or scrutiny. No matter what he was offering, he did everything he could in order to prevent a stoppage in the drill. The pace was quick and when a player interrupted it, he let him know his disappointment.

-Similar order at wide receiver. The outside receivers run a few routes on air with the QBs, then the slot receivers and tight ends work their reps. Outside receiver pairings in the drill: Joshua Moore and Troy Omeire -- Marcus Washington and Kelvontay Dixon -- Al'vonte Woodard and Kartik Akkihal (w-o) -- Casey Cain and Paxton Anderson (w-o) -- Travis West (w-o) and Montrell Estell. 

-Slot: Jordan Whittington -- Xavier Worthy -- Kai Money -- Jaden Alexis -- DaJon Harrison (again in the green non-contact jersey) -- Parker Alford

-Similar order at QB, with Casey Thompson and Hudson Card repping as 1A/1B during the viewing period.

-Freshman defensive lineman Jordon Thomas did not appear to participate in drills and was working with Hookfin on the side. 

-Texas will practice again tomorrow in the bubble.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Apparently he’s one of the strongest players on the team.  He looks like Roy Miller did out of high school, but maybe inches shorter.

That’s a perfect comp and I think they are 6’1” and 6’2” respectively. Miller was a strong fucker too. Here’s to him having the same type of career 

36 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

If you look at the defenses PK has had success with, there always a guy like Murph.  Vita Vea and Levi Onwuzurike come to mind. 

Had to look it up because all I remember Vea as is the 330 pound behemoth in the middle of that Washington line - but he was 6'5" 270 as a recruit.

Murphy certainly looks the part. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

That’s a perfect comp and I think they are 6’1” and 6’2” respectively. Miller was a strong fucker too. Here’s to him having the same type of career 

6’1” isn’t tall enough to be an effective defensive tackle at a school like texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1