1. Oklahoma
2. Texas A&M
3. LSU
4. Texas
5. Missouri
6. Ole Miss
7. Arkansas
8. Mississippi State

Not sure Bama wants to move East. Watch the SEC make the Mississippi schools go east instead. 

Spoiler

(From Anwar)

- One big point of emphasis during training camp has been creating turnovers. B.J. Foster ripped the ball from receiver Casey Cain during two-on-one drills.

- Roschon Johnson, Marcus Washington, Jonathon Brooks and Jaden Alexis were among the players working with the linebackers during tackling drills. The most likely explanation is they were sharpening their skills for a special teams.

- Edge rusher Ovie Oghoufo’s first step is one of the fastest within his group. He definitely has a chance to be disruptive.

- Marcus Washington and Kelvontay Dixon dropped passes on back-to-back plays. The quarterbacks threw quick passes to receivers who had two tight ends in front of them. Washington and Dixon did pushups after their drops and stepped up their respective performances during practice.

- Hudson Card fumbled a snap during one passing drill, but recovered to complete the pass. On the his next pass attempt, Card fired a dart to Jordan Whittington.

- The best word to describe David Gbenda during practice is “fluid.” Gbenda glides during every drill. He makes it look easy, which shows how talented Gbenda is.

- Defensive players had their way with offensive players during one-on-one pass protection drills.

LB Morice Blackwell Jr. beat DB Jamier Johnson

LB Jaylan Ford beat RB Bijan Robinson

Edge Prince Dorbah had a win (could not see the opposing player)

LB David Gbenda beat RB Gabriel Watson

RB Bijan Robinson threw LB Luke Brockermeyer to the ground

LB Jaylan Ford beat RB Keilan Robinson

LB Terrence Cooks II beat DB Jamier Johnson

(From Alex)

- To follow up on Anwar's list of 1v1 reps in pass pro, I saw the following:

Bijan Robinson > Luke Brockermeyer

Jaylan Ford > Keilan Robinson

Daniel Young > Demarvion Overshown

Terrence Cooks II >>>>>>> Gabriels Watson

Bijan Robinson > Devin Richardson

Jonathon Brooks > Jaylen Hullaby

- On defense, we continue to see players moving in and out of the first group, and on Wednesday, we saw more substitutions than usual, as it appears the real contributors are beginning to emerge as either starters or high-level depth. A few observations from that:

1) Luke Brockermeyer doesn't get players subbed in for him. When Overshown is out there during open periods, Brockermeyer is out there. They both subbed out today to give Jaylan Ford and David Gbenda some run the ones, but as wild as it seems, Brockermeyer looks like he'll be the starting MLB for snap 1 of the season unless things change drastically through the rest of camp.

2) Alfred Collins can play at both DT and NT and was being subbed in with the starting group at times today. While he is probably third in line at NT, he can easily be considered second in line at DT, which makes him a very viable candidate to contribute heavily this fall.

3) Terrence Cooks II has been an interesting case as he was playing at the edge position some to start camp, but has recently only been working with the inside guys during group drills. It looks like his future will be at inside linebacker.

4) The players who are consistently working out with the EDGE/DE group are: Ben Davis, Barryn Sorrell, DJ Harris Jr., Ray Thornton, Jacoby Jones, Ovie Oghuofo, Prince Dorbah and David Abiara.

5) I'm not sure we can consider Ovie Oghuofo as a projected starter at this point, but it's clear he'll be the starting OLB when the team does not have a 5 DB secondary and instead deploys 3 linebackers. I've still yet to see a first-team snap that involves a nickel back, it is always three safeties (Foster, Thompson, Schooler) when Oghuofo is subbed out.

6) Today was the first day that I saw Ben Davis working in with this sort of depth/primary reserve group, but it will be interesting to see how much he plays as he is clearly behind Ovie Oghuofo at the OLB spot right now that we do not know how often that position will be deployed. That's where he's lining up and working out, though.

7) Interestingly, Jett Bush has not worked a single day with the edge guys and is seemingly serving as inside LB help. The staff likely saw enough of his pass rush arsenal in the spring and decided he'd be better off elsewhere.

- I hadn't noticed Morice Blackwell all camp -- likely due to the horrible view we have of the defense as compared to the offense -- but today in inside-run drills, he truck-sticked Bijan Robinson and actually took him down in a drill where the guys were supposed to stay up. I don't think he should make a habit of going that hard against one of the team's best players when the coaches are running drills where they don't want players hitting the ground.

- It almost feels like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth because I told a poster in a different thread here on Orangebloods today that we sort of have to consider Tyler Johnson a massive disappointment at this point considering his current slotting on the depth chart. With this said, I've watched him very closely the last two practices and I keep asking myself, "what's not to like?" After a bad first day, Coach Flood seems less and less tilted and frustrated by Johnson every day (unlike some others), and today he was actually garnering praise and attaboys. The reserve OL I have easily been most impressed (maybe 'most pleasantly surprised by' is a better way to put it) by this fall camp is freshman Hayden Conner, but Johnson is turning a corner himself.

- Coach Jeff Banks lost his voice about halfway into the first practice of Fall camp and still hasn't gotten that thing back. It's hilarious to see him so pissed off in the way only coaches can be. He's trying to yell and he can't do it very loudly so he just runs up to these guys are blows the heck out of his whistle and waves his arms around, etc. It's great.

- NFL scouts on hand today included the Packers, Seahawks, Ravens and Vikings. — with Donald Herring and 45 others.

Notes from today’s practice. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Media heads talking today. Mark packer on ESPNU radio interviewing mark richt discussing Texas vs Louisiana game coming up, richt said it won’t be a problem for sark.

I hope he is right.

One of the podcasts, I think it was Longhorn Blitz, said that in Sarks two years in Alabama the offense never performed below some ‘expected offense’ metric that PFF computes. It’s not only that he had a supremely talented offense - it’s that he never allowed that offense to underachieve. They always ‘exceeded expectations’ with Sark as Coordinator. 

• Hook 'Em 4

One of the podcasts, I think it was Longhorn Blitz, said that in Sarks two years in Alabama the offense never performed below some ‘expected offense’ metric that PFF computes. It’s not only that he had a supremely talented offense - it’s that he never allowed that offense to underachieve. They always ‘exceeded expectations’ with Sark as Coordinator. 

Sark had all 4 and 5 star players unlike now. I took that comment as koolaid drinking because they are friends but in the back of my mind it satisfied me a little.

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Sark had all 4 and 5 star players unlike now. I took that comment as koolaid drinking because they are friends but in the back of my mind it satisfied me a little.

Sarkisian has proved to be one of the top offensive playcallers in college football. He called the plays in 26 games for the Crimson Tide from 2019 to 2020, and not once did the team produce negative expected points added (EPA) per play over a game. Yes, the Alabama program has been full to the brim with talent, but the fact that he didn't even come close to fielding an inefficient offense is truly absurd.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-five-underrated-teams-2021-college-football-season

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

(From Anwar)

- One big point of emphasis during training camp has been creating turnovers. B.J. Foster ripped the ball from receiver Casey Cain during two-on-one drills.

- Roschon Johnson, Marcus Washington, Jonathon Brooks and Jaden Alexis were among the players working with the linebackers during tackling drills. The most likely explanation is they were sharpening their skills for a special teams.

- Edge rusher Ovie Oghoufo’s first step is one of the fastest within his group. He definitely has a chance to be disruptive.

- Marcus Washington and Kelvontay Dixon dropped passes on back-to-back plays. The quarterbacks threw quick passes to receivers who had two tight ends in front of them. Washington and Dixon did pushups after their drops and stepped up their respective performances during practice.

- Hudson Card fumbled a snap during one passing drill, but recovered to complete the pass. On the his next pass attempt, Card fired a dart to Jordan Whittington.

- The best word to describe David Gbenda during practice is “fluid.” Gbenda glides during every drill. He makes it look easy, which shows how talented Gbenda is.

- Defensive players had their way with offensive players during one-on-one pass protection drills.

LB Morice Blackwell Jr. beat DB Jamier Johnson

LB Jaylan Ford beat RB Bijan Robinson

Edge Prince Dorbah had a win (could not see the opposing player)

LB David Gbenda beat RB Gabriel Watson

RB Bijan Robinson threw LB Luke Brockermeyer to the ground

LB Jaylan Ford beat RB Keilan Robinson

LB Terrence Cooks II beat DB Jamier Johnson

(From Alex)

- To follow up on Anwar's list of 1v1 reps in pass pro, I saw the following:

Bijan Robinson > Luke Brockermeyer

Jaylan Ford > Keilan Robinson

Daniel Young > Demarvion Overshown

Terrence Cooks II >>>>>>> Gabriels Watson

Bijan Robinson > Devin Richardson

Jonathon Brooks > Jaylen Hullaby

- On defense, we continue to see players moving in and out of the first group, and on Wednesday, we saw more substitutions than usual, as it appears the real contributors are beginning to emerge as either starters or high-level depth. A few observations from that:

1) Luke Brockermeyer doesn't get players subbed in for him. When Overshown is out there during open periods, Brockermeyer is out there. They both subbed out today to give Jaylan Ford and David Gbenda some run the ones, but as wild as it seems, Brockermeyer looks like he'll be the starting MLB for snap 1 of the season unless things change drastically through the rest of camp.

2) Alfred Collins can play at both DT and NT and was being subbed in with the starting group at times today. While he is probably third in line at NT, he can easily be considered second in line at DT, which makes him a very viable candidate to contribute heavily this fall.

3) Terrence Cooks II has been an interesting case as he was playing at the edge position some to start camp, but has recently only been working with the inside guys during group drills. It looks like his future will be at inside linebacker.

4) The players who are consistently working out with the EDGE/DE group are: Ben Davis, Barryn Sorrell, DJ Harris Jr., Ray Thornton, Jacoby Jones, Ovie Oghuofo, Prince Dorbah and David Abiara.

5) I'm not sure we can consider Ovie Oghuofo as a projected starter at this point, but it's clear he'll be the starting OLB when the team does not have a 5 DB secondary and instead deploys 3 linebackers. I've still yet to see a first-team snap that involves a nickel back, it is always three safeties (Foster, Thompson, Schooler) when Oghuofo is subbed out.

6) Today was the first day that I saw Ben Davis working in with this sort of depth/primary reserve group, but it will be interesting to see how much he plays as he is clearly behind Ovie Oghuofo at the OLB spot right now that we do not know how often that position will be deployed. That's where he's lining up and working out, though.

7) Interestingly, Jett Bush has not worked a single day with the edge guys and is seemingly serving as inside LB help. The staff likely saw enough of his pass rush arsenal in the spring and decided he'd be better off elsewhere.

- I hadn't noticed Morice Blackwell all camp -- likely due to the horrible view we have of the defense as compared to the offense -- but today in inside-run drills, he truck-sticked Bijan Robinson and actually took him down in a drill where the guys were supposed to stay up. I don't think he should make a habit of going that hard against one of the team's best players when the coaches are running drills where they don't want players hitting the ground.

- It almost feels like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth because I told a poster in a different thread here on Orangebloods today that we sort of have to consider Tyler Johnson a massive disappointment at this point considering his current slotting on the depth chart. With this said, I've watched him very closely the last two practices and I keep asking myself, "what's not to like?" After a bad first day, Coach Flood seems less and less tilted and frustrated by Johnson every day (unlike some others), and today he was actually garnering praise and attaboys. The reserve OL I have easily been most impressed (maybe 'most pleasantly surprised by' is a better way to put it) by this fall camp is freshman Hayden Conner, but Johnson is turning a corner himself.

- Coach Jeff Banks lost his voice about halfway into the first practice of Fall camp and still hasn't gotten that thing back. It's hilarious to see him so pissed off in the way only coaches can be. He's trying to yell and he can't do it very loudly so he just runs up to these guys are blows the heck out of his whistle and waves his arms around, etc. It's great.

- NFL scouts on hand today included the Packers, Seahawks, Ravens and Vikings. — with Donald Herring and 45 others.

Notes from today’s practice. 

Well there's the Davis answer. Back ahead of schedule but running behind Oghoufo (among others)

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, markstanco said:

But the thing is, they dont have to play at Bama level. They dont need Bama level to beat our schedule,  barring OUsux. 

The doom and gloom being manufactured and sold as the obvious by 9.95s is mind numbing. 

13 points seperated Texas from being undefeated. 

Yes , we lost some key people. But with guys maturing and the coaching staff being vastly improved ( f off Herman) , there is zero reason Sark wont have the O running at a level for a 10 plus win season. Add PK, again, proven with lesser talent, show me a loss!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, markstanco said:

Presumably the 4 and 5 stars were baked into the “expected points added” metric, which is why performing a ridiculous statistical anomaly of out-performing it every time is arguably impressive 

• Hook 'Em 6

Nahlin Practice 5 Notes

DB tinkering continues: Anthony Cook took plenty of reps at first team nickel earlier today. The previous nickel position for Texas was more linebacker-ish, to the point the position was in the linebacker room. This position is more of a traditional mix of coverage and playing the run. The defense has been employing 4i’s on the D-line, so that will add to run defending duties for the position.

When in base — meaning the nickel comes off the field — Cook split reps with BJ Foster at safety. We’ll see if they’re liking Cook, or if they’re just giving him a genuine shot. Cook did play pretty well in limited snaps last season.

When in base, Jerrin Thompson is behind Brenden Schooler.

Jacks, Sams, X-backers: Ovie Oghoufo has been turning heads the last couple of practices. “He’s a dog,” said one source. He’s strong at the point of attack, has a good motor, he’s smart, and he’s athletic enough to drop into coverage. They’re pretty excited about him. There’s a good chance when they’re out of base and the Sam leaves the field he’ll be the 2nd string X-backer. He may even push Ray Thornton for snaps.

Ben Davis made his way to the field. He missed the beginning of camp with a toe injury. He’s also being looked at for the Sam in base or the Jack in nickel. Finding depth behind Jacoby Jones is a necessity.

True freshman Barryn Sorrell has been playing surprisingly well against the run from the Jack position, though he’s still learning how to deal with double teams. Unless the need is too great, he’ll probably find the right balance between playing this year but preserving his eligibility.

Young D-linemen: Byron Murphy continues to impress. What stands out about him is maturity. He’s consistent and brings a high effort level every day. He’s going to play this year.

We were asked about Vernon Broughton in the comments of the Practice #4 thread. He’s still coming along and playing pretty well versus the run and pass. He’s at 3-tech and will play this year. Murphy is a 1-tech or nose.

Quarterbacks: They looked okay in practice. The team setting was a mix of tempo and red zone. An issue with both quarterbacks has been reading coverages. Per a source, there isn’t much discernible separation at this point, though if there’s one aspect that’s different it's “Card gets the ball out quicker.”

Receivers getting the most targets: In order it was answered, Jordan Whittington, Xavier Worthy, Al’Vonte Woodard, and Marcus Washington. I’d take it with a grain of salt as one practice isn’t too revealing, but we’ll track it. Obviously Whittington and Worthy make a lot of sense. Washington took a couple of big hits on Wednesday. He’s having a solid camp but he’s been inconsistent on Saturdays so we’ll temper expectations for now. Woodard has been pretty reliable the few times he’s gotten to play real snaps.

Joshua Moore didn’t practice today and neither did Brayden Liebrock. Both are banged up.

Offensive line: Not much new here other than there’s a heavy emphasis on gap schemes/pulling this week.

Keilan Robinson: With the DL getting the better of the OL, it’s given the Alabama transfer the chance to show he can make something out of nothing. His ability to jump cut then immediately accelerate out of trouble has impressed. We’ve said it before but the staff thinks it landed a stud in Robinson.

DeMarvion Overshown and Luke Brockermeyer: It’s being said these two have a developing chemistry at linebacker and they’re working well with each other. It’s difficult to know what’s what from our vantage point but you’d rather hear this than not. They’re both playing the run and pass well.

Full pads on Thursday for the first time, then a lighter Friday ahead of the scrimmage on Saturday.

15 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Once the pads come on I think we will see the difference, Thompson’s legs may give him the edge should the Oline protection not be great.

Card is kinda fast for a lunchpail coach on the field type.

I like Thompson but I'm not sure he's better in any way physically. If he wins the job it'll have to be through a superior understanding of the offense/ mental game.

Edited by Bevo14

28 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Once the pads come on I think we will see the difference, Thompson’s legs may give him the edge should the Oline protection not be great.

Why does everyone think Thompson is more athletic? Card played wide receiver in high school and is a great all around athlete.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Why does everyone think Thompson is more athletic? Card played wide receiver in high school and is a great all around athlete.

Because Hudson is a real gym rat, lunchpail kind of guy. He really has deceptive speed. He’s like a coach on the field. He’s just got a high motor, he’s scrappy. Junkyard dog kind of guy. He’s got a high football IQ, he’s a gamer.

giphy.gif
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

This. 

I would venture to say Card may actually be more athletic. He ran a 4.28 shuttle at the Opening which would have beaten every QB from the NFL combine last year. He also would have held his own for the WR group. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Presumably the 4 and 5 stars were baked into the “expected points added” metric, which is why performing a ridiculous statistical anomaly of out-performing it every time is arguably impressive 

I don’t think it factors in a team’s talent. At least in the NFL, they use historical data to measure expected points when any team start a drive from that spot or also on a play by play basis. I’m not sure the universe of schools PFF uses to calculate it for college, but it’s usually an average metric over the whole league, so it wouldn’t take into account Bama’s talent advantage.

And without knowing what kind of EPA per play most good college offenses put up, it seems like a fairly meaningless stat. 

22 minutes ago, immamac said:

This will be more VY -> Pistolas like.

Not a good comparison.  Vince was coming off a season in which he was 12-1 as a starter with Heisman hype.  Colt was a true freshman from a 2A school who had never taking a snap as a college QB, whether in practice or in a game.  Yeah, Colt eventually became a pleasant surprise as a redshirt freshman, but that was after a year under a college system and training program.  If we had to put Colt in a game in 2005 (over Matt Nordgren), I think it would've been a rough going.

Maybe this is more like Sam and Shane, but even the, both of those QB's had a larger body of work in actual games.  Here, we have two QB's who have mainly played mop-up duty, with one playing a half of a bowl game, and doing very well in that showing.  

To your original point, we still don't know jack shit, but my money is on Casey to start the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

I think this topic has been discussed like five times in this thread. Card may be a better athlete, but he looks clumsy and uncoordinated when a play breaks down. He certainly doesn’t look like a former wide receiver. When Casey tucks the ball he looks dynamic and natural.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Not a good comparison.  Vince was coming off a season in which he was 12-1 as a starter with Heisman hype.  Colt was a true freshman from a 2A school who had never taking a snap as a college QB, whether in practice or in a game.  Yeah, Colt eventually became a pleasant surprise as a redshirt freshman, but that was after a year under a college system and training program.  If we had to put Colt in a game in 2005 (over Matt Nordgren), I think it would've been a rough going.

Maybe this is more like Sam and Shane, but even the, both of those QB's had a larger body of work in actual games.  Here, we have two QB's who have mainly played mop-up duty, with one playing a half of a bowl game, and doing very well in that showing.  

To your original point, we still don't know jack shit, but my money is on Casey to start the season.

We are going to go from great to great was my point. If you are going to argue about whether or not Sam was great then IDK what to tell you. 

I think this topic has been discussed like five times in this thread. Card may be a better athlete, but he looks clumsy and uncoordinated when a play breaks down. He certainly doesn’t look like a former wide receiver. When Casey tucks the ball he looks dynamic and natural.

Is this based on one drive vs UTEP in the first game of his true freshman year?

If they're close then Sark starts Thompson as  going from the natural upper classman who's led the team all off-season first to the freshman in the event he falters is way easier than the other way around. It only makes sense to go with Card if the freshman is a clear cut leader and noticably better to everyone in the program in which event the upper classman transfers. Plus you've seen Thompson dominate a bowl team in a game the last time out and Card is a complete unknown how he'll handle game day at this level. Just makes sense if the QB competition is close to go with Thompson first. 

• Hook 'Em 4

29 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t think it factors in a team’s talent. At least in the NFL, they use historical data to measure expected points when any team start a drive from that spot or also on a play by play basis. I’m not sure the universe of schools PFF uses to calculate it for college, but it’s usually an average metric over the whole league, so it wouldn’t take into account Bama’s talent advantage.

And without knowing what kind of EPA per play most good college offenses put up, it seems like a fairly meaningless stat. 

Sure, but having vastly more talent than everyone you play is a factor in the historical data 

Edit: I assumed that it was an EPA based on the team, not overall college football. If it's the latter, then yes it's meaningless here

Edited by Fud

So is the oline buying time for the QB? Can they open up holes for Bijan?

Well the notes from yesterday said the OLine was getting slapped by the DLine so to that I’d say fuark. On the bright side we have the best DLine in the big 12 probably, so our guys will have 5 games against lesser talent to prepare for OU’s line
  • Fuck You 1

That's the biggest question mark. Need good to great offense to have 10+ wins. If the line is good then probably either QB can be successful. If it sucks then neither QB will be successful. 

I'm excited for the SEC move to get better home games. I want to go to one game in Austin this year but it's hard to decide since the home schedule is so shitty. Louisiana, Kansas, Ok St, Rice, Kansas St, Tech. WTF?

• Rage+1 1

That's the biggest question mark. Need good to great offense to have 10+ wins. If the line is good then probably either QB can be successful. If it sucks then neither QB will be successful. 
I'm excited for the SEC move to get better home games. I want to go to one game in Austin this year but it's hard to decide since the home schedule is so shitty. Louisiana, Kansas, Ok St, Rice, Kansas St, Tech. WTF?

I’m going to the OKSt game just because I hate Gundy and love to see a dejected look on his face
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

If they're close then Sark starts Thompson as  going from the natural upper classman who's led the team all off-season first to the freshman in the event he falters is way easier than the other way around. It only makes sense to go with Card if the freshman is a clear cut leader and noticably better to everyone in the program in which event the upper classman transfers. Plus you've seen Thompson dominate a bowl team in a game the last time out and Card is a complete unknown how he'll handle game day at this level. Just makes sense if the QB competition is close to go with Thompson first. 

You start the one who gives you the best shot of beating Louisiana, period

The issue is, one has better command of the offense including when new things are added but throws more INTs than the other. It's not clear cut. 

4 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Do you know how many rushing touchdowns Mac Jones had? I think this whole DT-QB talk can subside. 

Well that’s because all of Bama’s WR’s and RB’s scored the touch downs. How many of Bama TD were from the goal line were the QB could make the play?

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

You start the one who gives you the best shot of beating Louisiana, period

The issue is, one has better command of the offense including when new things are added but throws more INTs than the other. It's not clear cut. 

That's why you go with Thompson if it's not clear cut and you don't know who gives you a better chance to win. It gives 2 bullets in the chamber instead of 1 and he's the guy you've seen rise to the occasion in a real game. If Card starts it's because Sark believes he's head and shoulders above Thompson (or believes Thompson will stick around but Card would immediately hit the portal). 

I don't envy his decision. Get this wrong and it could fuck his chances at success here if the guy he doesn't pick checks out. 

Edited by Hermanator

48 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This chart was included in the article.

image.png.3acb66a5a01b64f5bd7b3fa3bb18094f.png

If the line is good then probably either QB can be successful. If it sucks then neither QB will be successful.

giphy.gif

Good line play will allow the offense to succeed by leaning on the three headed monster at RB, opening up opportunities in the passing game. Bad line play means you have a QB trying to make a play from behind the chains on third down while running for his life. That’s true for both guys.

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't have a dog in this fight - but I'm almost hoping Casey Thompson gets the start at QB just so I can watch IT's board melt down.  Venture over there and it is a foregone conclusion that Card is the starter - any talk of Thompson is only media generated controversy.

I’m with you. I think 9.95ers are manufacturing Card content for clicks. Nothing the fan base loves more than a QB controversy…

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve heard it here multiple times and Rod Babers said it on his podcast the other day, Card will probably transfer if not named the starter. He’s only a redshirt Fr who will be virtually guaranteed to start next year. He wouldn’t be able to play this year if he transferred anyway. Sure he would save a year of eligibility but he will still have 3 next year. I’m just not sure why many are so sure he’ll transfer. 

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

Narrator: OLine protection likely won’t be great. 

We need a QB who can acoud turn overs when the pocket breaks down. Decisions under pressure and maturity throwing the ball away could be the difference maker

49 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

If they're close then Sark starts Thompson as  going from the natural upper classman who's led the team all off-season first to the freshman in the event he falters is way easier than the other way around. 

I agree Mack, let’s wait until we lose to OU, then make the change. 

Just kidding, I’d go with Casey if it’s even, but Card better stay warm.  Usually you go with the younger guy if it’s even, but not in the day of the transfer portal without a decent 3rd team QB.  I think Casey will portal the minute he’s not the starter, but not sure on Card. 

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

I agree Mack, let’s wait until we lose to OU, then make the change. 

Just kidding, I’d go with Casey if it’s even, but Card better stay warm.  Usually you go with the younger guy if it’s even, but not in the day of the transfer portal without a decent 3rd team QB.  I think Casey will portal the minute he’s not the starter, but not sure on Card. 

We could go the Tom Herman route and wait until the last 2-3 games!

I think it's going to come down to a higher ceiling winning out over the higher floor. I'll take Card to start just because IDK why. If Thompson hasn't pulled away in the competition that's a bad sign given his experience. But #TrustTheCoach

1 minute ago, SuckitKevin said:

I’ve heard it here multiple times and Rod Babers said it on his podcast the other day, Card will probably transfer if not named the starter. He’s only a redshirt Fr who will be virtually guaranteed to start next year. He wouldn’t be able to play this year if he transferred anyway. Sure he would save a year of eligibility but he will still have 3 next year. I’m just not sure why many are so sure he’ll transfer. 

Yeah wouldn't really make sense for him to transfer before the end of the year. Only benefit would be learning his new offense. But he wouldn't even get real practice reps bc he can't play this year. So why not stay home, learn from Sark, and give yourself the chance to win the UT job either through injury or just outperfromance.

After the year is a different question. If Casey ends the year entrenched as starter and returns for next year, then I can see Card bouncing for sure.

I do think this is a key issue though and the main reason I would give a tie to Card. We're not gonna win the NC this year anyway so I'd rather not sacrifice 22/23 when we could be a legit contender. 

9 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

Casey is a JR.

Burton:

I like and respect longtime Austin sportswriters Kirk Bohls and Cedric Golden. I don’t always agree with them, however.

Yesterday, after speaking to both Casey Thompson and Hudson Card, Bohls and Golden both mentioned that they felt like Thompson was more ready to be the starter than Card.

I don’t know exactly how they came to that conclusion. Perhaps there’s an element of truth to the suggestion, that being better prepared for the fish bowl that is Texas football media coverage could somehow make one QB a better fit for the team on the field.

Yet, I can’t help but disagree with the idea in its totality.

After all, I bet Kirk Herbstreit would speak more confidently to the media than Hudson Card, too. It doesn’t mean Herbstreit would have the upper hand in a quarterback duel with Card, any more than Thompson.

Interviews like those given by Thompson and Card don’t tell the whole story, not even close.

Who shows up to practice and meetings first? Who leads the team the best on the field? Who doesn’t turn the ball over? Who puts Texas in the best position to win games?

Those are the questions that must ultimately be answered and will decide the QB battle, not the queries from and responses given to reporters.

I think the notion of determining - or believing one is more prepared to be - a starter via interview only is just completely misplaced.

Eric’s practice report that is posted here falls largely in line with what I’ve been told.

I would add one thing on Marcus Washington. And at some level, it impacts the discussion yesterday on Troy Omeire.

It’s not so much that Washington is a stellar athlete or even having a stellar camp, it’s just that Washington has been more consistent and is improving.

Washington will never be a game breaker, so don’t expect that from him, but also don’t be surprised if he’s a solid contributor this season in front of others who carry higher expectations.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

Did this whole debate spawn from the TFB update yesterday saying that Card was winning the QB battle?

I didn't see that update. TFB is saying Card? I know IT has been beating the Card drum but otherwise it seems like I've seen a mix or no opinions at all.