2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

The offense goes with the Oline, but you have to have good blocking from the WR position. The teams that have good screens and run plays have good to great blocking from their WR group. If not, it kills the plays. Like going from a 3-4 yard gain vs a 9-13 yard gain on the same play. Blocking on O matters. 
TSRH. Even teams like Tortilla Tech and K-state coached up their 2* receivers in effective blocking schemes, and somehow Bama does the same with their 4-5* WR's...I'm waiting for the day we can do the same.

I'm excited about seeing Bijan, Rojo and K Robinson getting the ball in space in Sarks offense...that could be the difference this year.

58 minutes ago, ousux said:

TSRH. Even teams like Tortilla Tech and K-state coached up their 2* receivers in effective blocking schemes, and somehow Bama does the same with their 4-5* WR's...I'm waiting for the day we can do the same.

I'm excited about seeing Bijan, Rojo and K Robinson getting the ball in space in Sarks offense...that could be the difference this year.

I think we will see Bijan, Robinson, and Whittington on the field at the same time. Those are our "toughest" guys on O and also our most explosive players. So with them on the field at the same time, it will create space and also have better blocking from the WR position. I don't know enough about TE blocking to determine who is the best combo of blocking and receiving skills. It seems we have more options at TE, though, than just about any team in the country.

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think we will see Bijan, Robinson, and Whittington on the field at the same time. Those are our "toughest" guys on O and also our most explosive players. So with them on the field at the same time, it will create space and also have better blocking from the WR position. I don't know enough about TE blocking to determine who is the best combo of blocking and receiving skills. It seems we have more options at TE, though, than just about any team in the country.

No chance all 3 are healthy at the same time 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Whittington has potential and KR can fly, but I'm not sure I'd Iabel them the toughest guys on offense. I mean RoJo is right there and I'm not sure Whittington is much known for his blocking. 

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, cdain3 said:
7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:
No but I hate that Twitter account. Dude is annoying af 

Lies. Doc is awesome.

He’s sort of a dope. He was showing his ass on Twitter yesterday because in a largely positive segment about Sam, Mina Kimes called him “Not an incredible athlete” and he took exception. 

She actually responded and after a ton of very dumb back and forth with Twitter eggs he said that sure, Sam isn’t an elite NFL athlete but he’s fairly athletic. Which was her entire point in the first place.  

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

He’s sort of a dope. He was showing his ass on Twitter yesterday because in a largely positive segment about Sam, Mina Kimes called him “Not an incredible athlete” and he took exception. 

She actually responded and after a ton of very dumb back and forth with Twitter eggs he said that sure, Sam isn’t an elite NFL athlete but he’s fairly athletic. Which was her entire point in the first place.  

Anyone taking Mina Kimes and her generally lazy takes seriously is an automatic dope and that includes Doc_Texas who just regurgitates $9.95er (mainly IT) content. 

34 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Whittington has potential and KR can fly, but I'm not sure I'd Iabel them the toughest guys on offense. I mean RoJo is right there and I'm not sure Whittington is much known for his blocking. 

Good question. I just kind of figured Whittington being a weightlifter and a do everything guy in high school would probably be a "tough" guy. Blocking for a wide receiver is more about will than anything else.

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

tbh not entirely false about our receivers.

Whittington if healthy the full season will likely be our most consistent guy.

Worthy will be our explosive guy

Moore should be consistent as well.

Omeire, Dixon, and Washington are all potential.  With Omeire having the most potential followed by Dixon and Washington last.

2/3 WR sets with the top 3 and when we go to 4/5 shuffle in the bottom 3. 

If Sark can't find 4 or 5 stud receivers from this group, then either Sark isn't the offensive mind we think he is, or 9.95ers truly don't know shit. I just can't fathom them being this wrong this often. 

(list doesn't include Xavier Worthy) 

799821218_ScreenShot2021-08-13at1_41_23PM.thumb.png.ed9be5740b2b01d4a0a4cd4fcf4fcb87.png

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

QB pros and cons

Let's breakdown the quarterbacks to this point in camp.

Casey Thompson 
*He's approached this camp like he's the starter from Day 1. Coaches/players notice the confidence.
*He checks down a lot. To the point the wide receivers feel they aren’t being utilized.
*Thompson doesn't take many shots, but will hit the occasional deep ball, as he did yesterday on a beautiful go route to Troy Omeire where the coverage was tight.
*He knows the playbook well, and has two years of college experience over Card.
*There’s a sense he’s a game-manager who doesn’t necessarily trust the current receivers.
*Has thrown some interceptions, usually when challenging the middle of the field. Brenden Schooler got him yesterday but that instance might be miscommunication with the receiver, which may tie into him having trust issues with that position group.
*Needs to get faster through his progressions and read defenses better.

Hudson Card
*He has complete confidence in his abilities, but approached fall camp like it’s a competition. He doesn’t carry himself with the same bravado of Casey Thompson or Sam Ehlinger. 
*He takes shots down the field, and has earned the trust of the receivers.
*He’s the better talent, better arm, and every bit the athlete. He throws on the run and extends plays outside of the pocket.
*He knows the playbook pretty well.
*There’s a sense he’s a gunslinger, or the opposite of a game manager, but still protects the ball pretty well.
*He’s quicker through his progressions and gets the ball out faster than Thompson, but like Thompson needs to improve his ability to read defenses.

If any of this is true it seems already decided to me. Card trusts and has the trust of the receivers....Card has the most arm talent and quicker release....Card does the progressions quicker....what am I missing? If Casey doesnt trust his receivers by now I say we are fucked....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

If any of this is true it seems already decided to me. Card trusts and has the trust of the receivers....Card has the most arm talent and quicker release....Card does the progressions quicker....what am I missing? If Casey doesnt trust his receivers by now I say we are fucked....

That it was written by IT?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Agree that "toughest guys" being used to describe Whittington has yet to be shown at TEXAS...

Edited by LTtxfan
I'm an idiot

Of course, he could just be Vincent Farmer, a bored attorney who lives in Carrollton. I do hope he continues with that unique posting style, that’s a helluva signature, better than signing your posts “Bernard” or attaching 20 random photos like a certain poster who seems to have disappeared for a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/12/2021 at 2:15 PM, elguapo said:

If a 4th year Jr hasn't been able to separate himself as the starter from a redshirt Fr before the 1st game of the season, and the guy you don't start has a relatively high likelihood of transferring then doesn't seem like rocket surgery that you go with the redshirt freshman.

He supposed to be SEC?

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Humidor

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

QB pros and cons

Let's breakdown the quarterbacks to this point in camp.

Casey Thompson 
*He's approached this camp like he's the starter from Day 1. Coaches/players notice the confidence.
*He checks down a lot. To the point the wide receivers feel they aren’t being utilized.
*Thompson doesn't take many shots, but will hit the occasional deep ball, as he did yesterday on a beautiful go route to Troy Omeire where the coverage was tight.
*He knows the playbook well, and has two years of college experience over Card.
*There’s a sense he’s a game-manager who doesn’t necessarily trust the current receivers.
*Has thrown some interceptions, usually when challenging the middle of the field. Brenden Schooler got him yesterday but that instance might be miscommunication with the receiver, which may tie into him having trust issues with that position group.
*Needs to get faster through his progressions and read defenses better.

Hudson Card
*He has complete confidence in his abilities, but approached fall camp like it’s a competition. He doesn’t carry himself with the same bravado of Casey Thompson or Sam Ehlinger. 
*He takes shots down the field, and has earned the trust of the receivers.
*He’s the better talent, better arm, and every bit the athlete. He throws on the run and extends plays outside of the pocket.
*He knows the playbook pretty well.
*There’s a sense he’s a gunslinger, or the opposite of a game manager, but still protects the ball pretty well.
*He’s quicker through his progressions and gets the ball out faster than Thompson, but like Thompson needs to improve his ability to read defenses.

The first scrimmage, assuming the format isn’t like the spring game, should tell us a lot.

Mild Injuries

Kelvontay Dixon has a high ankle sprain, an injury that has somewhat lingered since late spring.

Demarvion Overshown has a sore shoulder, the same shoulder that’s hampered him for the last few seasons. He might miss the scrimmage for precautionary reasons. He didn’t practice on Thursday, at least during the team portion.

Josh Thompson has a sore hamstring. It’s not considered serious, but he may miss the scrimmage. He didn’t practice on Thursday, at least during the team portion.

Brayden Liebrock and Joshua Moore have been missing practice with injuries as well.

Thursday Practice

There were a couple of mildly interesting developments in Thursday’s team portion. Linebacker Jett Bush had the chance to serve as the lead-blocking goal-line hammer out of the backfield. He and BJ Foster had some serious collisions, IT heard.

The staff also worked some jumbo sets where Jaylen Garth served as an extra inline blocker. Somebody very smart and handsome recommended that wrinkle back in the spring. Truth be told, it just makes sense given TE blocking.

To be expected, the defense won the team period but the offense did make some plays, notably the Thompson touchdown to Omeire referenced above.

Keondre Coburn had a tackle for loss on a missed assignment on the OL. Probably want to block that guy.

Also having tackles for loss were Vernon Broughton, David Gbenda (playing in place of Overshown), and true freshman Derrick Harris (playing X-backer). Harris has good play-strength for a true freshman and plays with high effort level.

The offense mainly worked on the quick/screen game. This highlighted Jordan Whittington. Kai Money also made some plays.

Regarding offensive line, different sources have said Christian Jones has been the best o-lineman and Jake Majors will almost assuredly start at center. Jones continues to prove to be coachable and Kyle Flood is said to be doing a good job with him.

He’s not ready yet but there’s some buzz around true freshman Hayden Conner long term. The thinking is he’ll be really good at guard. He’s huge with good feet so he fits the Flood template.

Early in camp there has been a lot of movement at nickel but Anthony Cook was with the first team yet again. With Thompson out, Kitan Crawford played with the ones. No surprise there.

These con artists are really pushing the shit out if Card even though they keep saying it's a close race. Does any of that sounds like a close race? Didn't they say just the other day that Thompson pushes the ball down field more than Card? I think they're forgetting the shit they made up a few days ago and pushing an agenda to satiate their flock. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

If Sark can't find 4 or 5 stud receivers from this group, then either Sark isn't the offensive mind we think he is, or 9.95ers truly don't know shit. I just can't fathom them being this wrong this often. 

(list doesn't include Xavier Worthy) 

799821218_ScreenShot2021-08-13at1_41_23PM.thumb.png.ed9be5740b2b01d4a0a4cd4fcf4fcb87.png

I'm a bit worried that the legend of Sark in modern college football is from commanding an offense with a mature veteran QB who sat and learned for 3 years, the two best receivers in college football, one of the best RBs, and one of the best lines. I mean Kiffen dominated with less offensive talent when he was at Bama, and Kiffen is mediocre as a HC. 

Here he doesn't have the talent on the line, has the talent at RB, doesn't have it at receiver or QB or TE. We'll see what he's made of for sure this season. 

Just now, Hermanator said:

I'm a bit worried that the legend of Sark in modern college football is from commanding an offense with a mature veteran QB who sat and learned for 3 years, the two best receivers in college football, one of the best RBs, and one of the best lines. I mean Kiffen dominated with less offensive talent when he was at Bama, and Kiffen is mediocre as a HC. 

Here he doesn't have the talent on the line, has the talent at RB, doesn't have it at receiver or QB or TE. We'll see what he's made of for sure this season. 

Username check out. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m still onboard with thinking OU is the only team on the schedule who should be as good or better than us, which in theory should translate to a 1 or 2 loss season.

Having said that, reports that Kai Money is apparently one of the two guys on our offense we feel best equipped to target on a WR screen so he can make something happen after the catch is a pretty giant cold bucket on water on those rosy projections.  Much like OLs featuring Marcus Hutchins, Denzel Okafor and Tristan Nickelson at OT, Dylan Haines starting at DB, and Swoopes or a freshman at QB, that feels like one to look back on in hindsight with bewilderment over why I thought we would be good.

Do you honestly believe that about Money? On a team that includes Whittington, Worthy, K Robinson, and Dixon.

24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I've never heard anyone say that. 

I wonder what’s the average of yards per pass for Casey’s 76 collegiate snaps. Everytime Herman tossed him in to play he was slinging that bitch down field. I don’t even know if it’s 76 snaps, I just took a ballpark guess.

Edited by CastHorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Do you honestly believe that about Money? On a team that includes Whittington, Worthy, K Robinson, and Dixon.

Money seems like a guy who runs his route exactly correctly every single time. If he were the only guy on the field, he'd never get open. When the defense is fighting to run with the other receivers and account for the RB, he's going to be standing by himself quite frequently. After that happens, you're basically running a kick return. The defense is trying to turn around and track the guy with the ball. The offense is trying to get in their way. The ball carrier is trying to take advantage of the confusion and wander forward.

The WR Screen takes advantage of a defense getting comfortable. If the receivers are regularly beating press coverage, then the DBs start leaning back and "picking up" the receivers as they get into their routes. The screen gets the ball out there quickly (and sort of blindly) to burn the defense's backwards motion.

GDGD (and others) got in trouble when they used it off schedule. If the receivers haven't established their deep threat, then the DBs will still be up tight, or even worse, running downhill at the snap. At that point, the receiver is catching the ball flat footed while the DB clocks him in the head (being legal and preferred at that time).

Coordinators really are engaged in a kind of chess match. Do the simple things until your opponent proves he can stop them. That's why having Bijan Robinson makes this offense dangerous, and why wealthy men spent 8 figures to remove the person who didn't want to play him all game.

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, CosmoDog said:

You knew it was coming

I was coming of age back in the day, and unequivocally state your #3 was actually #1 with a bullet (make that two bullets). 

Unfortunately, there don’t seem to be many decent images of Lori Saunders out there. The red head and blonde were more wholesome. The brunette was the smoke.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2