2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

9 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I didn't follow Sark when he was out west as a HC - did he have any team coming into the season without a definitive #1? I trust him on QB evaluation and believe he'll get this choice right (and switch quickly if it turns out to not work), but was curious if he previously had a similar experience. 

Not at Washington.  Jake Locker was the starter under Willingham, got hurt, and they went 0-12 with backup Ronnie Fouch at QB.  Sark comes in and coaches Locker to a 1st round draft pick.  In 2011 Locker graduated and his primary backup, Keith Price, was elevated to the starter spot after spring ball.

In 2014 when Sark took over at USC he inherited starter Cody Kessler.  Kessler remained the starter through 2014 and 2015 (Sark was canned 5 games into the 2015 season).

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

This did 2 things....it kept the starters mostly injury free.....and it gave real game experience to the back ups. Dont you think when Colt went down playing for the Natty that it would have been nice for Gilbert to come in with actual experience?.....no!...Mack liked that "deer in the headlights look from his #2 QB....but the big advantage is that everyone knew they would get to play.

God dammit!....Now I all pissed off again just thinking about it...

Experience? Hell, he didn't even have a helmet. 

If a 4th year Jr hasn't been able to separate himself as the starter from a redshirt Fr before the 1st game of the season, and the guy you don't start has a relatively high likelihood of transferring then doesn't seem like rocket surgery that you go with the redshirt freshman. Of course the staff may feel confident that Card is perfectly happy being the backup at Texas for 2 seasons, but I'm not sure where that confidence would be coming from considering that most QBs of Card's caliber are gone if they don't have a clear path to start by their 3rd year on campus.

Maybe Cayce is able to claim the starter spot over the next week or so but doesn't seem like a great sign for him that it hasn't happened yet.

Edited by elguapo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not at Washington.  Jake Locker was the starter under Willingham, got hurt, and they went 0-12 with backup Ronnie Fouch at QB.  Sark comes in and coaches Locker to a 1st round draft pick.  In 2011 Locker graduated and his primary backup, Keith Price, was elevated to the starter spot after spring ball.

In 2014 when Sark took over at USC he inherited starter Cody Kessler.  Kessler remained the starter through 2014 and 2015 (Sark was canned 5 games into the 2015 season).

I didn't say his QB doesn't ever run, but it's not what he's looking for. 

40 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I have eyeballs and seen both of them move in games and scrimmage. Casey appears to have elite mobility for the position. The only contriving factor is if Card mobility has been hampered by his inexperience and hesitancy. And with more confidence, we’ll see him tear it up.

I think what we saw in the spring game was Card being hesitant to take off from the pocket because he knows that isn't what Sark is looking for in his starting QB. It also didn't help Card that he was playing with significantly worse OL/playmakers than Casey for the majority of the spring game.

• Hook 'Em 1

That practice report from Anwar jibes with something FCB said on his podcast this week - that Hayden Conner is turning heads and making an impression in camp. FCB said he may see some playing time this year, although not as a starter. That’s nice to hear about a guy that was well-liked in recruiting but not really expected to be much of a contributor as a player. 

FCB also said that Troy Omeire is having trouble picking up the offense as fast as some of the other WR’s so maybe we need to temper our expectations for him early on. That also may sync with what Scipio said about Sark going with starters who have higher floors early on over the higher ceiling players we’ll need to beat OU and ISU later, but haven’t gotten it all figured out yet.  

2 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

That’s nice to hear about a guy that was well-liked in recruiting but not really expected to be much of a contributor as a player. 

I think most people had him pencilled in as a starter down the road, though of course getting any playing time this year out of a freshman OL is just gravy. Merril was the one that was a desperation take.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

I think most people had him pencilled in as a starter down the road, though of course getting any playing time this year out of a freshman OL is just gravy. Merril was the one that was a desperation take.

Yeah, I didn’t mean to imply anyone thought he was a wasted scholarship, just most assessments of the class seemed to have him in one of the lower tiers. 

12 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

That practice report from Anwar jibes with something FCB said on his podcast this week - that Hayden Conner is turning heads and making an impression in camp. FCB said he may see some playing time this year, although not as a starter. That’s nice to hear about a guy that was well-liked in recruiting but not really expected to be much of a contributor as a player

FCB also said that Troy Omeire is having trouble picking up the offense as fast as some of the other WR’s so maybe we need to temper our expectations for him early on. That also may sync with what Scipio said about Sark going with starters who have higher floors early on over the higher ceiling players we’ll need to beat OU and ISU later, but haven’t gotten it all figured out yet.  

Huh?  Or are you just talking about this year?  Because yes, I don't think anyone thought he'd contribute as a true freshman.

Check out Bryce Foster's hudl - ignore Bryce and instead watch Conner.  He's trucking people all game long.  Now do the reverse and watch Conner hudl but focus on Bryce.  Foster isn't just very interested in being there.  Foster was the better prospect and has the better physical tools - but Conner is a good prospect in his own right and absolutely has the temperament and attitude you look for in OL.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Huh?  Or are you just talking about this year?  Because yes, I don't think anyone thought he'd contribute as a true freshman.

Check out Bryce Foster's hudl - ignore Bryce and instead watch Conner.  He's trucking people all game long.  Now do the reverse and watch Conner hudl but focus on Bryce.  Foster isn't just very interested in being there.  Foster was the better prospect and has the better physical tools - but Conner is a good prospect in his own right and absolutely has the temperament and attitude you look for in OL.

I feel the same way about Parr but I don’t think he’s as good as Connor. We will see next year(2022 season) though. 

13 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Sorry if I’m underselling his impact as a signee, I was trying to give a compliment. I haven’t watched his high school film, and I’ll defer to your analysis. I’m mostly going by my recollection of listening to podcasts discussing the class where he was an afterthought. Maybe it’s because he was a 3 star in a class where the state had a bunch of big time prospects and we missed on all of them (FtB’s). Hope he ends up outshining all of them. 

Edited by Duane Moore

25 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I'm curious to see how Troy does in Sark's O, he seems like a much better fit for what Herman was trying to do.

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

Sorry if I’m underselling his impact as a signee, I was trying to give a compliment. I haven’t watched his high school film, and I’ll defer to your analysis. I’m mostly going by my recollection of listening to podcasts discussing the class where he was an afterthought. Maybe it’s because he was a 3 star in a class where the state had a bunch of big time prospects and we missed on all of them (FtB’s). Hope he ends up outshining all of them. 

Conner is a stud, his star rating was more about him committing early and not doing the camp thing IIRC.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I'm curious to see how Troy does in Sark's O, he seems like a much better fit for what Herman was trying to do.

FCB made that point as well, that he fits the Collin Johnson, Brennan Eagles mold of the X receiver that Herman favored, while Sark has used smaller quicker faster guys across the board at Bama recently. Also noted that Sark had Julio Jones with the Falcons, so I’m sure he can find a role for him if Omeire starts to understand the offense better. 

51 minutes ago, Pods said:

“We are not a running quarterback team, will not ever be that way,” Sarkisian said. “We believe in throwing the football and protecting the quarterback.”

I just hope we stop being a '3 out of 4 times we throw the ball to a stationary receiver behind the line of scrimmage' team.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

I just hope we stop being a '3 out of 4 times we throw the ball to a stationary receiver behind the line of scrimmage' team.

Although generally Sark doesn't want his receivers running come-backs or standing still - he still runs a fair amount of WR screens.  Smith and Waddle killed teams in the screen game last year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I refer you to his coaching clinic talk where he states that he insists on getting the ball to a receiver on the run: "I'm as fast as Julio Jones if we're both standing still."

No need to hope. This is how he runs his offense.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

That offense ate our lunch for 10 years when briles and Baylor ran it against us, so I can only presume that it worked great in practice too, which is why they had so much confidence in it. That and it still can be run by cen after you wreck your qb’s shoulder for the rear of the year with qb power right. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rimbo said:

I refer you to his coaching clinic talk where he states that he insists on getting the ball to a receiver on the run: "I'm as fast as Julio Jones if we're both standing still."

No need to hope. This is how he runs his offense.

I was thinking the same thing - but it turns out that Sark was running a fair amount of WR screens for Smith/Waddle the last two seasons.

https://www.tidesports.com/story/football/2020/09/29/screen-passes-become-big-plays-alabama-football/3538252001/

• Like 1

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

I was thinking the same thing - but it turns out that Sark was running a fair amount of WR screens for Smith/Waddle the last two seasons.

https://www.tidesports.com/story/football/2020/09/29/screen-passes-become-big-plays-alabama-football/3538252001/

Yeah, but screens are just running plays with a receiver in space. Here again, GDGD failed us, by calling screens to naked receivers with two DBs on top of them... screens without an actual screen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Yeah, but screens are just running plays with a receiver in space. Here again, GDGD failed us, by calling screens to naked receivers with two DBs on top of them... screens without an actual screen.

I can only imagine that your ascent out of Greg Davis fluffery and back into reality parallels what it's like for a Q-Anon person to crawl out of YouTube and back into reality. Statistically improbable. Bravo, Sir!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, THUJONE said:

Like I said a few weeks ago, I think we are going to surprise fuck people up this year. I think the D will be a pleasant surprise and I think the three Rs in the backfield are going to be very tough to stop. Bama Robinson seems like a total steal for us. 

My D surprises the fuck out of south Austin’s mom 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I can only imagine that your ascent out of Greg Davis fluffery and back into reality parallels what it's like for a Q-Anon person to crawl out of YouTube and back into reality. Statistically improbable. Bravo, Sir!

spacer.png

🤣

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

Sark is no Greg Davis. He moves his best playmakers around and gets them the ball moving and in space. He'll throw screens, but they are well designed, well executed and they work. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/steve-sarkisian-describes-his-offensive-evolution-and-rpo-based-attack/ar-BB1cAOI4

“You have to be prepared to beat man to man and you do it that way with people on the move,” Sarkisian said. “And in my opinion, with your people on the move you can create by putting your best players as the ones that are on the move to catch that ball to go create explosive plays.”

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 1