Relocating Abroad

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

I post on a large Mexico ex-pats FB group, and whenever Monterrey is mentioned as a retirement spot, the issues immediately brought up are:

• high pollution
  • a traffic nightmare
  • very hot summers
  • most expensive city in Mexico
  • rising crime rates and cartel activity

Not sure what your bro living in Saltillo has to do with anything, but there are plenty of legitimate concerns for anyone considering moving to Monterrey.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1053886741400839

I think he was specifically addressing the high crime/cartel violence post you made.

Not sure what costs, pollution, traffic or heat have to do with that.

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think he was specifically addressing the high crime/cartel violence post you made.

Go read the last page. He was quoting two other posts that were downplaying the weather/crime and pimping all the great things about living in Monterrey.

quote1.JPG

19 hours ago, LCHorn said:

At least on the corporate front I’ve read that HR managers are no longer considering breaks in employment as a negative.  For one, 2020 made it commonplace for many people, and the millennial on down cohorts don’t have the same stigma against it (want to go on a spirit journey for six months?  You’re hired!).  

Yep, this is my plan.  Hoping to just get hired right back to my current position, but if not, I'll find something else.

3 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Go read the last page. He was quoting two other posts that were downplaying the weather/crime and pimping all the great things about living in Monterrey.

quote1.JPG

This will sound crazy but there might be folks that like a place that you don’t like because of something you read on Facebook.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

This will sound crazy but there might be folks that like a place that you don’t like because of something you read on Facebook.

I stayed there last summer, dipshit. I didn't fucking need FB to alert me about the weather, prices, crowds, pollution and traffic. And when 3 different uber drivers warn me about crime there, I'll go ahead and take their word for it. Didn't need a heads up from FB on that one either.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

I stayed there last summer, dipshit. I didn't fucking need FB to alert me about the weather, prices, crowds, pollution and traffic. And when 3 different uber drivers warn me about crime there, I'll go ahead and take their word for it. Didn't need a heads up from FB on that one either.

Would it be fair to describe your reaction to people liking Monterrey as rage?

19 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Would it be fair to describe your reaction to people liking Monterrey as rage?

I give zero shits if someone wants to like or love Monterrey. A girl here asked about safety there and I responded with my experience.

I love Austin, but I'd have the same kind of response to questions about moving there and anyone claiming that Austin has great weather, ideal allergy conditions, competent city government and very few california fuckheads ruining everything.

9 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I post on a large Mexico ex-pats FB group, and whenever Monterrey is mentioned as a retirement spot, the issues immediately brought up are:

• high pollution
  • a traffic nightmare
  • very hot summers
  • most expensive city in Mexico
  • rising crime rates and cartel activity

Not sure what your bro living in Saltillo has to do with anything, but there are plenty of legitimate concerns for anyone considering moving to Monterrey.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1053886741400839

I mean, I didn't say anything about the climate, traffic, or cost. You made two posts that specifically called out safety as an issue based on an anecdote. I responded with an anecdote about safety.

6 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

This.

6 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

quote1.JPG

Exactly? I was quoting three posts discussing safety as a specific issue.

Regardless, you've obviously got strongly held opinions and an adequate level/feeling of safety is ultimately subjective anyway, so I am not going to draw this out any further.

20 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I mean, I didn't say anything about the climate, traffic, or cost. You made two posts that specifically called out safety as an issue based on an anecdote. I responded with an anecdote about safety.

This.

Exactly? I was quoting three posts discussing safety as a specific issue.

Regardless, you've obviously got strongly held opinions and an adequate level/feeling of safety is ultimately subjective anyway, so I am not going to draw this out any further.

Well, no. You quoted and responded to a 3 paragraph post pimping all of Monterreys' virtues with "Excellent post"

I responded to that. Zero rocket surgery involved to figure out.

quote2.JPG

7 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Well, no. You quoted and responded to a 3 paragraph post pimping all of Monterreys' virtues with "Excellent post"

I responded to that. Zero rocket surgery involved to figure out.

quote2.JPG

I responded to the other three posts first. It's pretty clearly demarcated. It's also stupid to fight about it, so I am sorry, you are right, you win the internet.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I responded to the other three posts first. It's pretty clearly demarcated. 

Huh? It's also clearly demarcated where you responded to the last 3 paragraph post about Monterrey with "Excellent post"

So wild idea, next time, if you don't agree with all the stuff in a post and don't want to get called out on it, don't respond to it with "Excellent post". Just a thought.

9 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Fucking username definitely fucking checks out here, goddammit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Huh? It's also clearly demarcated where you responded to the last 3 paragraph post about Monterrey with "Excellent post"

So wild idea, next time, if you don't agree with all the stuff in a post and don't want to get called out on it, don't respond to it with "Excellent post". Just a thought.

Since we’re handing out unsolicited  board etiquette tips, how about you never post another screenshot of your black background? As I’m sure you can understand, it’s rage inducing.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Probably time to revive this thread. How about we all agree on a spot and form our own surly expat community. Weed, beer, brisket, and bare sugar baby titties for all. Who’s with me?!?!?

spacer.png

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Probably time to revive this thread. How about we all agree on a spot and form our own surly expat community. Weed, beer, brisket, and bare sugar baby titties for all. Who’s with me?!?!?

Can we still do all this, but without the people from surly?

• Haha 4

On 2/8/2022 at 8:31 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Bumping this thread with the hope that some of y’all have experience about returning from abroad. More so about careers waiting for you when you get back (hopefully).

Without going into too much detail (if this comes to fruition, I’ll likely be making another thread asking for advice), there may be a chance for my wife and I to move our family back to Brazil. Neither of us would need to work, or if we did, it could be a low paying job.

So my question is, assuming this all happened and I didn’t find a job that would continue my career, how difficult would it be to return after a couple of years and pick up my career? I know that gaps in work history can affect getting hired. Ageism is also a thing, although I would likely be younger than 50 if this plan worked out, so maybe not an issue. I work in oil and gas (project controls) and started this career at 31, so I am about 15 years into it. Am I overthinking that finding a good job in this field would be difficult after a couple of years away?

I know, that’s a big what if this happens will this happen type hypothetical.

You're touching on a very interesting topic that hits close to home unfortunately. 

I lived in Asia for 18 years and repatriated about 7 years ago in my mid-forties. From a professional standpoint, moving back to the States (when I did) was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. I worked for a software company and law firm during that time abroad and never found anything close to that after returning to the States. I'm actually in the process of exploring job opportunities overseas as we speak. Would have moved earlier had it not been for Covid. 

One thing I highly recommend, make sure you have a solid plan and good leads before assuming you'll hit the ground running upon your return. I know this is a no-brainer but it's really true after a certain age. 

I think the longer you're overseas, the more you'll miss the ex-pat life after you return. The American Midwest gets pretty boring fast especially if you're starting over and meeting new people. A very different pace of life here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

You're touching on a very interesting topic that hits close to home unfortunately. 

I lived in Asia for 18 years and repatriated about 7 years ago in my mid-forties. From a professional standpoint, moving back to the States (when I did) was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. I worked for a software company and law firm during that time abroad and never found anything close to that after returning to the States. I'm actually in the process of exploring job opportunities overseas as we speak. Would have moved earlier had it not been for Covid. 

One thing I highly recommend, make sure you have a solid plan and good leads before assuming you'll hit the ground running upon your return. I know this is a no-brainer but it's really true after a certain age. 

I think the longer you're overseas, the more you'll miss the ex-pat life after you return. The American Midwest gets pretty boring fast especially if you're starting over and meeting new people. A very different pace of life here. 

As someone said to me years ago (way before I was married or an expat), "when I die, I want to come back as an expat wife..."

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread...  Was talking to my financial planner last week and was looking at options if I were to get let go from my current employer or just decided to say "Fuck it, I'm done"...  As I'm in my mid 50's, biggest cost in "retirement" besides mortgage would be medical insurance and the going rate is around 3000-3500/month to keep a similar coverage I currently have in the US until we are eligible for Medicare/Medicaid coverage. Apparently, "private" insurance for EU citizens like somewhere like Spain is closer to $3000/year for expats/EU citizens... This alone has me thinking F-this and EU here we come...

As I have mentioned earlier in this thread, I have a EU citizenship due to a "heritage restoral" from grandparents who were disposed after WW2 and my teens have it now as well.  (I was born and raised in Texas and kids are 5th generation Houstonians via wife (no pics) so this will always be home...) They have 2 years of high school left but may be applying to EU universities in Europe as well (I have the funds set aside for them but told them that whatever they don't spend from those funds go to them when they graduate so they have an incentive get done early/go somewhere cheaper).  Once they go off to University, wife and I are probably going to call it quits and are looking for alternatives so sell the casa and move elsewhere.  

Original plan was to downscale here and still live overseas most of the year but still have a "Home base" in Texas (where I can put my gun safe, some furniture and a car).  Now thinking, F-it and Italy/Spain/Portugal, here we come... 

Now trying to look at options like Mexico/Central America vs Europe in terms of livability and cost if we (or my current employer) pull this trigger... And still investigating if we can get an EU medical insurance that would allow us to say, live 3 months in Nice, then 3 months in Prague and 3 months in Isla Mujeres/Playa/Acumel with 3 months back in the US...  (Please share if anyone has any experience with having EU medical insurance but then travelling outside the EU...)

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Bumping this thread...  Was talking to my financial planner last week and was looking at options if I were to get let go from my current employer or just decided to say "Fuck it, I'm done"...  As I'm in my mid 50's, biggest cost in "retirement" besides mortgage would be medical insurance and the going rate is around 3000-3500/month to keep a similar coverage I currently have in the US until we are eligible for Medicare/Medicaid coverage. Apparently, "private" insurance for EU citizens like somewhere like Spain is closer to $3000/year for expats/EU citizens... This alone has me thinking F-this and EU here we come...

As I have mentioned earlier in this thread, I have a EU citizenship due to a "heritage restoral" from grandparents who were disposed after WW2 and my teens have it now as well.  (I was born and raised in Texas and kids are 5th generation Houstonians via wife (no pics) so this will always be home...) They have 2 years of high school left but may be applying to EU universities in Europe as well (I have the funds set aside for them but told them that whatever they don't spend from those funds go to them when they graduate so they have an incentive get done early/go somewhere cheaper).  Once they go off to University, wife and I are probably going to call it quits and are looking for alternatives so sell the casa and move elsewhere.  

Original plan was to downscale here and still live overseas most of the year but still have a "Home base" in Texas (where I can put my gun safe, some furniture and a car).  Now thinking, F-it and Italy/Spain/Portugal, here we come... 

Now trying to look at options like Mexico/Central America vs Europe in terms of livability and cost if we (or my current employer) pull this trigger... And still investigating if we can get an EU medical insurance that would allow us to say, live 3 months in Nice, then 3 months in Prague and 3 months in Isla Mujeres/Playa/Acumel with 3 months back in the US...  (Please share if anyone has any experience with having EU medical insurance but then travelling outside the EU...)

does your wife have a younger, single sister ?

10 hours ago, Grimas said:

My Mexican health insurance policy costs about $2500 per year for my family of 5. It has a $500 deductible on $6.5M in coverage.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Health, not life. I'm guessing there isn't even such thing as life insurance in mexico. That would get out of hand quickly down here.

Not sure if I remember correctly - Are you in Guadalajara?

The euro's drop against the dollar has been well-timed for me and the Portugal golden visa. It does have me thinking more seriously about how to mitigate currency risk however. We lived in London when one GBP cost more than $1.90. Boy did that suck.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Chopper said:

The euro's drop against the dollar has been well-timed for me and the Portugal golden visa. It does have me thinking more seriously about how to mitigate currency risk however. We lived in London when one GBP cost more than $1.90. Boy did that suck.

I recall that. I remember it getting over $2 to the £ in Fall of 2007, back when I was paid in USD. When it came back to around $1.50, my wife kept saying it was like the whole country was having a 25% off sale.