Dallas Cowboys 2021 Regular Season Thread -- Money, Masks, & Masochism

Patrick Bateman

So how are we feeling after this week? 
This was the Raiders game all over again. Another home loss. Another shitty offense for too long. Had to play catch up and too little too late. Throw in some shitty officiating and it's another loss. To a team we might see in 2 weeks. Defense didn't make any real plays and allowed Murray and this offense to constantly get points on drives that had no business getting points. Coaching was bad. Just an all around bad game. Had every fucking thing in front of us. Win out and we most likely get the 2 seed. That gives us a guaranteed 2 home games in the playoffs. And we come out and lay that kind of egg. Hell, how are going to look like next week in Philly? Another QB who can use his legs to kill you. On the road. And while not a great team, they are looking to make a statement going into the playoffs. We could see them as well in a few weeks depending on how things play out. 

Feeling pretty salty but not as bad as most here. Seems like

#1 we had a good season, all in all it’s worth being happy about.

#2 We have a decent roll of the dice for the playoffs ahead. I can obviously imagine us shitting the bed, but the team has enough talent to pull it off too, so I’m looking forward to it.

The kicker sucks, but who can we replace him with?

Arizona called a good game offensively, it looked like it was all set up to neutralize our pass rush and it worked.

The refs did do a shitty job and it did impact the game, but if we had played better it wouldn’t have mattered

The cardinals weren’t as bad as everyone was saying. They are a good team.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sky is always falling after every Cowboys loss. Arizona is 8-1 on the road. Arizona's fake punt and then 4th down conversion on the 1 yard line were huge plays. 

What I find interesting is road teams are basically .500 the last two NFL seasons. Most NFL teams haven't really had a home field advantage.

Packers look like the best team in the NFL but you never know. 

Edited by Loch Ness Monster

I thought the defense played well enough to win. Gave up 25 which isn't great but the offensive turnover/missed FG put them in bad spots on 2 drives.  They need to be better but they weren't the reason for the loss. 

Parsons didn't do much wrong but it was his quietest game of the season. Murray's quickness gave him and Gregory some problems. 

In the playoffs it all comes down to which overpaid version of the offense shows up. The one who's slightly overpaid and cranking out 30+ points? Or this garbage? A lot of that has to do with how many penalties they're committing/called and how consistently well Dak is playing. He looked like Stevie Wonder trying to throw darts out there. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Dak needs a running game way more than some top QB's.  if he doesn't get it, it's gonna be a long day against any average D.  It's going to get ugly if the next 2 years are like this.  I guess the East could continue to suck ass so there is that.

Also, the injury was not good at all for the Cowboys.  He's not Lamar Jackson or Murray but his mobility IMO was a big part of his game early on.  He's not a pocket passer. his pocket presence is below average and accuracy is very inconsistent.

Felt like every drive there were passes being batted down or a holding penalty. Zeke averaged 1.8 yards a carry. OL not bad at pass blocking but create very little in the run game. No blocking TEs either.

Could see the Cowboys losing the wildcard game against a good team or making a run at the NFC Championship game. Just depends which team shows up. 

16 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I thought the defense played well enough to win. Gave up 25 which isn't great but the offensive turnover/missed FG put them in bad spots on 2 drives.  They need to be better but they weren't the reason for the loss. 

Parsons didn't do much wrong but it was his quietest game of the season. Murray's quickness gave him and Gregory some problems. 

In the playoffs it all comes down to which overpaid version of the offense shows up. The one who's slightly overpaid and cranking out 30+ points? Or this garbage? A lot of that has to do with how many penalties they're committing/called and how consistently well Dak is playing. He looked like Stevie Wonder trying to throw darts out there. 

I heard Micah tweaked a leg or something late 2Q which slowed him down a bit rest of the game. Can anyone confirm?

How would you even measure that? Like seriously, what a stupid and meaningless stat. They have no way of knowing who a defender's assignment is on a given play. Is the person who Diggs is supposed to be guarding getting those yards? Is he supposed to have safety help? Or is he just the nearest guy to the play and getting blamed?

I can think of the Patriots play that he gets blamed for that went 75 yards but really the safety got in the way of him making a play. I can remember an outstanding catch made by a Washington WR, Sims i think, there's 45 yards right there. So 2 plays accounts for over 100 yards? And on those plays i would not say he was out of position or getting beat.
Absolutely correct and this is why PFF is so fucking lame. They give grades out literally the night of a game. They gave zero insight to what a player's assignment is. This is what paid coaches do when they break down film. They know exactly who was supposed to be where and who screwed up. I believe NBC is partnered with PFF and pushes it hard on their broadcasts. You can take a guess to what the assignment is but to say with conviction and give a grade, nah.

The huge thing now is we go from hopes of the 1 seed, to very likely to get the 2 seed to now most likely to get the 4 seed. Terrible. And typical Dallas to blow opportunities.

4 seed means you get a tougher wild card game and you get to play the 1 seed the next round. Who will be Green Bay. And they will be well rested coming off a bye. At least with a 3 seed, you avoid Green Bay for a round and the team you play in the divisional round played the week before.

They absolutely fucked themselves yesterday in terms of seeding.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I feel like Parsons is uniquely qualified to defend Murray due to his speed. Wondering if he needs to just spy Murray and make sure he doesn’t break any long runs and just let Gregory and DLaw rush him. It felt like we really lost contain on their final drive and let Murray beat us with his legs on that drive specifically. He seemed bottled up for most of the game.

18 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

The huge thing now is we go from hopes of the 1 seed, to very likely to get the 2 seed to now most likely to get the 4 seed. Terrible. And typical Dallas to blow opportunities.

4 seed means you get a tougher wild card game and you get to play the 1 seed the next round. Who will be Green Bay. And they will be well rested coming off a bye. At least with a 3 seed, you avoid Green Bay for a round and the team you play in the divisional round played the week before.

Maybe with the #1 seed clinched, Green Bay takes the next 2 weeks off and gets out of rhythm. 

i was wondering why Dallas is being flexed to a Saturday night game when the game is not a win and you're in scenario.  looks like the primary motivator (besides guaranteeing good ratings) might be to set up Dallas for a playoff game the following Saturday (giving Dallas a full week of rest for that).  since 1996, Dallas has played 8 Wild Card round games.  6 of them were played on Saturday.  Dallas is the one team that can draw big ratings on a Saturday night.  so i wouldn't be surprised if we play on back to back Saturday nights.

While the NFL's primary motivation in leaving scheduling flexibility heading into the season's final weekend is so that they can prioritize meaningful games that have some sort of playoff implications, it is possible that they are also looking ahead to which Wild Card games might potentially be scheduled on a Saturday the following week. By making the Cowboys and Eagles on a Saturday night Week 18 matchup, the NFL could be planning to schedule the Cowboys' first playoff game on the following Saturday (January 15) as well.

Either way, a silver lining and potential advantage for the Cowboys is that while they will have a short week coming up, after traveling back from Philadelphia they will have seven or eight days to prepare for their first playoff game.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Not necessarily.  Say Dallas wins the first game and the 7 or 6 seed wins their first game.  That seed would then go play at Lambeau and not the 4 seed Cowboys.  

11 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I feel like Parsons is uniquely qualified to defend Murray due to his speed. Wondering if he needs to just spy Murray and make sure he doesn’t break any long runs and just let Gregory and DLaw rush him. It felt like we really lost contain on their final drive and let Murray beat us with his legs on that drive specifically. He seemed bottled up for most of the game.

I don’t think anyone is qualified to defend Kyler if he’s actually a willing runner like he was yesterday. They have the same 40 time, but Kyler is a slippery as any qb I’ve ever seen. He has next level quickness and elusiveness 

Idk could argue it the other way too:

(1) the 4 seed means we get to run this one back and that is to our advantage bc a lot of what Arizona did won’t work and they may not have more bullets in the chamber for what we can do

(2) outside of the 1 seed the playoff seeds 2-4 aren’t all that diff. If we’re gonna win it, we’re gonna do it regardless of seeding 2-4.

(3) this way we get to hit Green Bay on their first game and hopefully they come out flat after their first round bye. That may make it an easier knockout than their second game when they’ve had a chance to get into playoff rhythm. Also, having to go into Green Bay for the nfc championship would be a lot of pressure on dak.

(4) IF we can get past green at, then we will be well situated vs. whoever for the nfc champ.

I would definitely have preferred the 2 seed vs the 4 seed, but it probably won’t be the reason we either do or do not have a good playoff run.
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Could see the 49ers upsetting the Rams or Bucs.

Arizona @ Dallas will be a dog fight. Cowboys probably 3 or 3.5 point favorites though.

I'm on record saying that I think Dallas beats AZ like a drum when/if we play again.

But am I wrong in hearing that the 49ers are not  a lock and if they lose to LAC and NO wins, then they will get the last playoff spot?

I want to believe that Arizona won't beat us again, but I can't. Burned too many times by the Cowboys at this point. 

But I also agree that it's not a given that we would have to go play Green Bay. There would have to be no upsets in the first round for that to happen. Just our luck, one of those will be the Cowboys. 

The Apex of the 2021 season is going to end up being the Boxing Day Massacre of a depleted Redskins team. 

7 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

This Cowboys' team, just like everyone since 1995, is fool's gold.  The oline is weak, Dak is inconsistent as hell and if the D doesn't get turnovers, it's pretty damned average. 

OL is very weak, especially in the run game. We used to bully people. Now, 3rd and 1's are a crap shoot. No push at all up front. It might be the biggest liability on this team. All our bone headed plays come from them.

Another issue that has been mentioned is our WRs. They get no real separation. And you can scheme them out of the game too easily.

You are right on the defense. Which is why I said tap the damn brakes on that unit carrying us. We won't be playing scrubs in the playoffs. We needed the defense to help out yesterday and they didn't.

What happened after we cut the lead to 10-7? We let 2 drives in a row to end the half and start the 2nd half for points and they extended their lead back out and negated our TD. Cut the lead down to 2 at the end. All they had to do was make a play or get Zona off the field quick to get us the ball back. But nope. Arizona easily ran over our defense on the ground. 

Defense did the same shit in Tampa. These are both playoff teams we could face. The defense has improved but I think they were propped up by being 7-0 in the East and those shit stain offenses. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, futureman said:

trying? it’s happened. get over it. dak is an overpaid fraud. I know it hurts your ego but you should try to lose with dignity. 

I don't care about Dak.  I care about you using a cute little ESPN made up stat to compare QB's.  its beneath you.  be better.

12 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You completely misunderstand the art form.  

Oh I understand completely.  That's how low the QBR "stat" is, it's so low it's even beneath fisterman.  he's using a "stat" made up by some ESPN summer intern in 2008 or something.

he should "take the L, pussy" but he won't.

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Oh I understand completely.  That's how low the QBR "stat" is, it's so low it's even beneath fisterman.  he's using a "stat" made up by some ESPN summer intern in 2008 or something.

he should "take the L, pussy" but he won't.

mike white has a higher qbr than dak and you think you’ve won? that’s… an interesting take.