Italy on the verge of forming anti-European government

bernorange

Italy may become the "first European country led by populist forces with a strong anti-European rhetoric.”

Silvio Berlusconi has given the green light to a deal between the Five-Star Movement (M5S) and the Northern League (Lega Nord).

Why?

Berlusconi fears getting clobbered if there were new elections.

Both parties are staunchly anti-immigration and neither wants a budget that would be compliant with Eurozone rules.

M5S has softened its stance on a referendum to exit the Euro, but that may have been a political ploy to appear more mainstream.

Regardless of what happens now, Berlusconi is a has-been, finally washed up.

Lega is picking up support in the polls and M5S is holding its own.

More:  https://www.themaven.net/mishtalk/economics/eurosceptic-anti-immigration-five-star-and-lega-have-coalition-green-light-0QewlSJ4Y0iSzwPWiN-T_g/

Inconceivable!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Amobie said:

Tourism has been hurt by images like this.  A pretty high percentage of Italians are blaming the refugees.

I miss the days when I could take a shit in an alley and wash my anus in public without the constant presence of some idiot with a cell phone camera.

Hope you enjoy your video as much as I enjoy my bowel movement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Amobie said:

Tourism has been hurt by images like this.  A pretty high percentage of Italians are blaming the refugees.

I blame people who don't turn their phone sideways when taking videos. 

Also, tourism hasn't been hurt. Many Italian tourist sites are being harmed by overtourism. They need to start rationing tourist entries to places like Venice. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 3

Just now, Hate said:

How many “refugees” are in Venice?

Rome and Florence, and nearly every other city, also have record levels of tourism. Take your pick. Venice is well over capacity however. You can hate refugees all you want, but they haven't affected tourism. Overtourism is also a preservation issue rather than an economic one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amobie said:

it is amusing that you are still pretending that you aren't dsa.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Was in Rome this past September.  I wish there were fewer tourists and that was the off season.  I was more bothered by the Indians constantly trying to sell me selfie sticks.  (However, they one day it rained they did a hard turn towards umbrellas and I bought one.  Cool story.)

42 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Was in Rome this past September.  I wish there were fewer tourists and that was the off season.  I was more bothered by the Indians constantly trying to sell me selfie sticks.  (However, they one day it rained they did a hard turn towards umbrellas and I bought one.  Cool story.)

But was it a selfie stick um-brella ??!

Rumors last night the coalition was about to collapse seem to be false. Explosive details emerge today as noted in these Tweets.

Details

1. Five Star and the League expect the ECB to forgive 250 billion euros in Italian bonds bought via quantitative easing, in order to bring down Italy's debt
  2. The two parties want to re-open European Treaties and to "radically reform" the stability and growth pact. The coalition would also want to reconsider Italy's contribution to the EU budget.
  3. According to @HuffPostItalia, the 5 Star/League draft agreement would include an opt-out mechanism to leave the euro in an "agreed manner" were there to be a "clear popular will" to do so.
  4. The draft document says Italy should stay in Nato, but asks for an immediate withdrawal of sanctions vs Russia, so that Moscow can return to be a "strategic partner" in conflict zones
  5. According to @HuffPostItalia, the 5 Star/League draft document says there would be a "flat tax"... but with several tax rates and deductions
  6. Italy's pension reform would be dismantled: workers would be able to retire when the sum of their retirement age and years of contribution is at least 100.
  7. The draft coalition agreement of a 5 Star/Lega government leaked to @HuffPostItalia calls for a revision of the Dublin regulation on immigration and for compulsory relocation of asylum seekers across the EU

More:  https://www.themaven.net/mishtalk/economics/five-star-and-lega-ask-ecb-to-cancel-250-billion-in-debt-9eWeNMVQj0ijTGJNCTrSpQ/

The draft agreement also contains a eurozone exit clause, on page 35. The two parties commit to introducing (our translation)"specific technical procedures of an economic and legal nature” to allow the country to leave the euro, or to obtain an opt-out if there is a popular majority. The article points out that this clause questions the principle of the euro's irreversibility. We heard a comment from the two parties yesterday that this clause is no longer in the current draft.

On page 38, almost at the end, there is a reference to the cancellation of the stock of Italian sovereign debt held by the ECB.
There can be no doubt that Five Star and Lega are following a radical agenda even if this draft agreement were to be rendered a little flatter in subsequent revisions. ...

More:  https://www.themaven.net/mishtalk/economics/it-s-now-clear-five-star-lega-deal-is-a-commitment-to-leave-the-eurozone-ETLIX5VNIE2K7Pxi00_V1A/

16 minutes ago, bernorange said:

The part where they want to get in bed with Russia is ineresting. Russia is owning Western right wing movements these days. 

The big difference between this and US movements is the fact that they support social welfare.  Trump could learn something from that. Populists have to give a shit about the populous. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bernorange said:

So, the coalition has fallen apart and Italy is headed to another election.  Markets are in turmoil and no one really knows what is coming next:

https://www.themaven.net/mishtalk/economics/grave-consequences-italy-bond-yields-soar-protests-called-euro-referendum-d0PZpehJNka7Y5FjvyveZw/

As long as this keeps the dollar up and the Euro down, I am happy.  If the Euro can stay down util after July 8, that would be great.

The President relented and gave Italy their government. He saw the reaction to the appointment of a "technocratic" government and reversed course. 

For those not paying attention, the last "technocratic government" was led by a Goldman Sachs Bilderberger. It was only going to get worse. Anyway, good news for the good guys who like "voting" and "democracy".

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 8:14 AM, Amobie said:

You sure that isn't a picture of the Tenderloin district in San Francisco?

Edited by Tennesseehorn

4 hours ago, Tennesseehorn said:

You sure that isn't a picture of the Tenderloin district in San Francisco?

I saw a bum passed out in SF with his pants down to his knees in the Market District one afternoon. People were literally stepping over him and around him, and he had a long string of yellow crime scene tape coming out of his ass and extending away from him for about six feet. Dude had wiped his ass with crime scene tape and then just left it there...And nobody gave a fuck. 

36 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I saw a bum passed out in SF with his pants down to his knees in the Market District one afternoon. People were literally stepping over him and around him, and he had a long string of yellow crime scene tape coming out of his ass and extending away from him for about six feet. Dude had wiped his ass with crime scene tape and then just left it there...And nobody gave a fuck. 

That’s the stupid liberal tolerance shit Trump is busy purging from America.  You’d never see that happen here in Lufkin, but you don’t see a lot of libs here either, hah!

1mis37.jpg

The FT says the political crisis is all but over. I suggest otherwise.

Finalized Deal

• Giuseppe Conte is back in the role as Prime Minister. He previously gave up a mandate to form a government last weekend when president Sergio Mattarella refused to seat Eurosceptic 81-year-old Paolo Savona as economy minister.
  • Five Star leader Luigi Di Maio will have a combined role of Deputy Prime minister and Work and Development Secretary.
  • Lega leader Matteo Salvini will have a combined role of Deputy Prime minister and interior minister in charge of immigration.
  • Paolo Savona will become European affairs minister.
  • Giovanni Tria, a professor of political economy at Tor Vergata University in Rome, will be the new finance minister
  • Enzo Moavero Milanesi, an aide to former prime minister Mario Monti, will be the new foreign minister.

Get Popcorn and Gold

Enjoy the forthcoming amusement. Budget battles with the EU rate to be spectacular.

https://www.themaven.net/mishtalk/economics/italy-government-approved-crisis-over-hardly-get-popcorn-gold-6AEyLz7i_EixWBMtSXsCvA/

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I call that Tuesday.

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I don't wipe my ass, you complain. I do wipe my ass, you complain, again.