The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

15 hours ago, JSB said:

Yeah, I don’t have all the wheels turning, but I also like not having to reset them when I put them on. Especially the Vostok because it doesn’t have a quickset date. Real pain in the ass when I don’t wear it for a few weeks.

The non quick set date is pretty much the only legit reason for a winder imo.

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Yep there's been a debate about watches sitting unwound and watches maintaining their time for years.  I've been coming down on the let 'em rest side for a few years now, if you don't let them sit too long.  But that leaves my cool winder just sitting idle now.

Nomos is probably the cheapest way to get into true manufacture movements, and you're getting a level of finish better than most watches many times more expensive. The WIS crowd generally has a huge amount of respect for Nomos and what they're doing. The main criticism is that their styling is all very similar, which is exactly their Bauhaus intent. I bought a Ludwig as a dress watch a few years ago, doesn't get worn frequently, but I really like it. I'm lucky to travel places where I can often see a bunch of Nomos selection in stock; it's harder to get a feel for Nomos in the US where I couldn't see and compare in person.

If the styling is what attracts you, Stowa is a similar Bauhaus company at a little lower price.

Love to see all the Sinn comments on here - as a tangent from my last sentence above, that's my current issue with Sinn - I can't find much stock to look at in person any more. I like Sinn because they are doing engineering that most others simply aren't any more. New materials, new processes, the dessicant capsule, designs like the captive bezel (even the dual language date wheel mentioned above); they're applying modern engineering and innovation to an ancient art while most other watch companies are basically glorified stylists.

From an engineering and innovation standpoint, other brands that I respect are:

Ochs Und Junior, for taking basically a Walmart movement from ETA and adding stunningly few parts to it to make it function as a calendar, as well as having the most intuitive reading calendar. Their more "complicated" watches use UN movements and again modify with remarkably few additional parts - they only add 9 parts and modify 3 existing parts to achieve perpetual calendar. My main issue with them is their case thickness, which is a direct result of them needing to stack parts on top of a movement.

Habring2, for an uncommon amount of movement innovation and uncommon degree of "in-house" from a small independent. Recent example: They got bit when ETA stopped supplying movements, and had to develop their own. In the process they kept it compatible for repair purposes (to service the old ETA watches they already had out in the field) yet managed to make design and engineering improvements. I find their movement finishing to be a bit of a mess, but cannot fault their in-house innovation and value. This is a nice article that really points out what I love about Habring2: https://quillandpad.com/2017/08/11/praise-habring2-collectors-view/

14 hours ago, G650 said:

I share this opinion - otherwise I see no reason to keep a movement moving when not worn, it's just more wear on the components.

So much homage. But you’re right. It’s a slick looking piece.

Wear it in good health.

Regarding NOMOS not everyone likes them but dammit, everyone respects them.

If you like the aesthetic then you liberally can’t afford NOT to buy one.

Ive wanted one as a dress watch for a while. That’s the hole in my current armada. Nothing a snob would allow me to wear with a tux.

12 hours ago, Masflo said:

Just got one of these sent from Hong Kong. Looks amazing on a leather band. Merry Christmas to me

https://goo.gl/images/DbWfDW

Do some of y'all with several daily wear watches change up the strap/bracelet back and forth just for a different look?  If so, where do you source the different straps?  OEM, custom leather shops, online shops?

15 minutes ago, Whitman said:

Do some of y'all with several daily wear watches change up the strap/bracelet back and forth just for a different look?  If so, where do you source the different straps?  OEM, custom leather shops, online shops?

I wear my watches with the leather straps in the winter and the watches with rubber straps or bracelets in the summer.  I can't remember the last time I switched a strap for any reason other than it wore out.

3 hours ago, Whitman said:

Every year or so when it pops in my head I change up specific straps for specific watches

3 hours ago, Whitman said:

It's odd but I wear my vintage Sub on a 10 buck military strap. Basically a NATO but with a traditional buckle. Never liked the Sub bracelet because wrist changed diameters with hot/cold and couldn't get a decent fit.

7 hours ago, Whitman said:

Yes. For me it’s an easy way to change up the look of each watch. Cheapest Nato straps dot com. Also, amazon. Just threw a James Bond Nato strap on my 8 year old Tag Aqua racer and it looks phenomenal 

Edited by Masflo

23 hours ago, Whitman said:

All the time with my Vacheron. The quick change is awesome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G650 said:

All the time with my Vacheron. The quick change is awesome.

Do you source them online or locally?  I'm over in the Newport News area every few months ( I like eating at Water Street Grille in old Yorktown area by the Coleman bridge) if there is a shop I should look at around there or Va Beach.

Just now, Whitman said:

Do you source them online or locally?  I'm over in the Newport News area every few months ( I like eating at Water Street Grille in old Yorktown area by the Coleman bridge) if there is a shop I should look at around there or Va Beach.

I don't actually, my guy is in Philly. It's a pretty big wasteland for watches here unfortunately.

Colareb makes decent straps for relatively cheap ~40-60. Search Amazon. I have the names of different strap makers I've bought custom made straps from. What is your price range and what are you looking for, e.g. NATO style, leather, exotic leather, etc.?

4 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Colareb makes decent straps for relatively cheap ~40-60. Search Amazon. I have the names of different strap makers I've bought custom made straps from. What is your price range and what are you looking for, e.g. NATO style, leather, exotic leather, etc.?

Take a look at the pic above. Any ideas what that strap is?  That watch comes with a black Horween strap which I don't think that is.  I like that refined thin, reddish brown leather with the stitching.  Thanks....

On 12/22/2018 at 3:26 PM, JSB said:

Checking in with my 956 on an ammo pouch strap. I love the strap but may need to switch it up to the bracelet or black strap for the holidays. Seems stupid, but for some reason I feel like cold weather needs something metal or black

4ed8921d926edc3e1595083a882af320.jpg
634b7ec23c01cb238818dce3a97ee304.jpg

That's a sweet watch. Is it available in copper face?

I've wanted a 356 since the first time I saw one.

SI-153.jpg

2 hours ago, Whitman said:

Take a look at the pic above. Any ideas what that strap is?  That watch comes with a black Horween strap which I don't think that is.  I like that refined thin, reddish brown leather with the stitching.  Thanks....

Mine came with burgundy horween with same color stitching.  It's thin like that

• Like 1

No idea who makes it. Nomos does sell some straps but I didn't see anything like that. Try https://www.veblenist.com/

Howard is a nice guy and I bought a couple straps from him. They are quality straps in that same vein for less than $100. He may be able to custom make something similar. Might cost a little more.

This is a strap I bought from him.6f002891cc08801237903ecee694485b.jpg

• Like 1

If you want something a little higher end, I've gotten a few straps from CH straps. Search for that on Facebook. He has a website too, but it's not in English. His name is Christian and you can ask him what leathers he had available and custom order size, thickness, taper, stitching, etc.

Takes a few weeks to get them and it's not cheap but I've been impressed with the quality in both the regular leather straps and the exotic leather.

He makes a lot of Sturgeon straps which are incredible looking but he can't ship them to the US.

Here are the four straps I've bought. The Aqua is toad and the blue is ostrich leg.5496781ba9b0b1b8c1be894ca3c9409b.jpgddf8b93a631b8113952c53fa0262228d.jpg4003ec67ab022b3f4d2cc58adabc2065.jpg69068813347f3437da9c544ef1b21a6a.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 7:07 PM, RPM said:

That's a sweet watch. Is it available in copper face?

I've wanted a 356 since the first time I saw one.

SI-153.jpg

That is the watch that first drew me to the brand. The 956 only comes in a tan and black face. The power reserve is what sold me on the 956. Plus I think it is a little more rare, but to be honest, I think I've only seen less than 10 Sinns in the wild since I started really appreciating watches 8 years ago. 

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Sinn makes some special edition 956 you can see on display at the Frankfurt showroom.

Roadtrip?

12 hours ago, JSB said:

I think I've only seen less than 10 Sinns in the wild since I started really appreciating watches 8 years ago. 

I sometimes think that I have the only one (now two) in West Virginia.

On 12/30/2018 at 7:43 AM, Jeffrey said:

Regarding Nomos...highly recommend trying one on before buying. I'm a big fan of the Metro line, but after trying one on in Tokyo wasn't impressed with the fit and finish to be honest. Also beware of long lugs on most models.

This. Friend bought one last Christmas and has already been sent back to the manufacturer for repair. Very light and small profile. I prefer more of a tank style fit for piece of mind. Still love the look

That is the watch that first drew me to the brand. The 956 only comes in a tan and black face. The power reserve is what sold me on the 956. Plus I think it is a little more rare, but to be honest, I think I've only seen less than 10 Sinns in the wild since I started really appreciating watches 8 years ago. 

Dope doc that shot up my wife before birthing yesterday had a 556 on yesterday.

Merry New Year watch wearing assholes.

Let’s all make a resolution to buy another and show it off here

Package from Europe came in today.  It was a Nomos Tangente 38 Datum.  It maintains my German fetish and it is quite a contrast from my two Sinns.  I wear my Sinn 104 as a daily work watch and got the 6099 as a formal/event/picking up bitches watch, but this Nomos can be worn for both.   We will see how it fits in and how much I wear it.  Unless senility sets in and I get my dream of a rose gold Lange & Sohne, I think that I am satiated with these to rotate thru.

all-three.jpg

• Like 5

On 1/15/2019 at 7:34 AM, Whitman said:

Thanks!  This little venture into these has opened my eyes into what and how much is out there in mechanical watches and reading up on them.  I could see where it could become addictive if not kept in check.

A former collection of 20+ says Hey, My name's Onboard and I'm a watchaholic.....

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Any of y'all ever fuck with solar movements? I've been looking for a Seiko diver to be my weekend/pool/whatever watch. Was originally thinking auto but they seem to really be pushing the solar option at the price point I'm looking at (<$200). I must admit that the whole no service, no winding thing appeals to me. Do they work pretty well in practice?

Edited by tokamak