Back away from the ledge!! It's not as bad as you think ....yet.

Thatguy

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They’re 2-0 buddy. Who gives a shit about a covid season last year. They kicked our shit in and looked impressive on both sides of the ball doing it. You literally end your thought with that may change whole that dipshit up thread has already written them off. Pure stupid fucking arrogance. 

Were you around for 2003 or 2004?  We escaped in 2004 because Matt Jones fucked the game away at the end with a fumble.  We ended up winning by 2 whole points on our way to an 11-1 season where we won the Rose Bowl against Michigan.  That stupendous Arkansas team led by a senior QB finished a stellar 5-6.

It was there Super Bowl last Saturday and we will see what happens this season, but I would venture to guess all is not lost.  We aren't as bad as we think we are and Arkansas probably isn't as good as they looked.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Fondren & Main said:

Were you around for 2003 or 2004?  We escaped in 2004 because Matt Jones fucked the game away at the end with a fumble.  We ended up winning by 2 whole points on our way to an 11-1 season where we won the Rose Bowl against Michigan.  That stupendous Arkansas team led by a senior QB finished a stellar 5-6.

It was there Super Bowl last Saturday and we will see what happens this season, but I would venture to guess all is not lost.  We aren't as bad as we think we are and Arkansas probably isn't as good as they looked.

What does that year have to do with 2021? Irrelevant fodder to justify dumb shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I listened to most of RBKD yesterday on The Horn. They weren’t trying to create controversy or start a “Fire Sark” movement, but the points they went through, many of which have been discussed here, were all profoundly disturbing. They both think Casey should get the starting job now, but that was like their 5th or 6th most important factor in causing the outcome Saturday night.

Poor play on both lines, both in terms of talent and execution, failure by the coaching staff to recognize how bad their guys were going in and try to scheme around it. The game plans, particularly on defense from the very beginning not stacking the box and forcing KJJ to beat us down the field, and then not adjusting once it was clear we were getting run over by their run game were particularly egregious. Sark not preparing for or adjusting to a defense that had limited his superior talent at Alabama the year before using the same scheme, the list goes on and on. The self-scouting by this staff is going to need to get much better, and maybe they just can’t tell from practice alone and needed games to see how bad it really is, but if it isn’t clear after last weekend and we don’t adjust to it, it’s going to be a long season. 

Edited by Duane Moore
  • Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

See this is another problem with our fan base:

we literally got the shit kicked out of us by Arkansas and yet you dipshits are writing them off…. And say stupid shit like “they treated this game like it was their super bowl”

@TwiceHorn

Well, you made the comment that it was stupid to call this game Arkansas' Super Bowl...when...checks notes...past results support this logic.  That's all I'm saying.  I mean do you think they will win 8+ this year?  I bet they'll find a way to step on their dicks and lose to A&M again...

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

Well, you made the comment that it was stupid to call this game Arkansas' Super Bowl...when...checks notes...past results support this logic.  That's all I'm saying.  I mean do you think they will win 8+ this year?  I bet they'll find a way to step on their dicks and lose to A&M again...

My point of the post is dipshits like you and others dogging a team that just beat the ever loving shit out of us and creating excuses as to why we literally got bent over a pinball table by them on national tv. 

I don't think people are making excuses--think that some are stating we're not as bad as this game portrayed--silver lining.  We all saw us get our shit kicked in and there's no defending that.  But the players and coaching staff should learn from this.  We're riding with Casey for this next game which albeit late, is an adjustment.  

Coaches do have to allow for qbs to dig themselves out, while showing confidence and faith in them--it's essential for player trust.  When Card was showing happy feet, he prob should have been sat down.  

Casey will get to showcase his talents and hopefully stretch the defense.  Cheers to Thompson seizing this opportunity and making the most going forward.  

And hopefully we get the offensive line personnel figured out, while the defense figures out that running teams primarily run.  Allow the corners to do their job and make plays and if they don't, then adjust.  Arkie was as predictable of an offense as we're going to see.  But, just maybe, we'll show improvement every game out for a good to better season.  All is not lost, yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They’re 2-0 buddy. Who gives a shit about a covid season last year. They kicked our shit in and looked impressive on both sides of the ball doing it. You literally end your thought with that may change whole that dipshit up thread has already written them off. Pure stupid fucking arrogance. 

Past performance isn't indicative of future results, but Arkansas hasn't won more than 4 games in a season since 2016. I mean, they didn't just suck last year, they have sucked for quite a while. Sure they may be improved this year, but they aren't going to the playoff.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

My point of the post is dipshits like you and others dogging a team that just beat the ever loving shit out of us and creating excuses as to why we literally got bent over a pinball table by them on national tv. 

You’re just name calling instead of offering counterpoints.  Going to go ahead and assume you’re younger than me.  People are dogging Arkansas because they’ve seen this movie before.

True Detective Time GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Whatever Arkansas is, they are a respectable defense.

We roll in with a RS Frosh QB in his first road start, a shaky OL, unproven receivers, and a new coaching staff with new schemes.

They run an offense we all know well but the Pac12 never had.

That setup is exactly the type of situation that can snowball on you and it sure as hell did.

It is one data point and it is a bad one.

Hopefully this painful debacle makes crystal clear what the problems are, the best way forward is, and the staff makes those changes.

So maybe let's see what happens next before writing a bunch of stuff in stone.

• Hook 'Em 1

For our case I hope Arkansas is good and wins games especially against aggy at the same time we figure out our shit. What I saw on Saturday wasn’t us losing it was how you lost.

How do you come into this game this unprepared, unmotivated and basically quit by mid 3rd qtr in your second game of your tenure? I expected losses in his first season as most of us did but the way we lost felt like a Charlie strong game his last season here which made my mind explode. I didn’t think we would see that with this staff ever much less the second game of the year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, burdine said:

Whatever Arkansas is, they are a respectable defense.

We roll in with a RS Frosh QB in his first road start, a shaky OL, unproven receivers, and a new coaching staff with new schemes.

They run an offense we all know well but the Pac12 never had.

That setup is exactly the type of situation that can snowball on you and it sure as hell did.

It is one data point and it is a bad one.

Hopefully this painful debacle makes crystal clear what the problems are, the best way forward is, and the staff makes those changes.

So maybe let's see what happens next before writing a bunch of stuff in stone.

Giving effort and playing with fire isn’t found in any playbook. 

53 minutes ago, jinx said:

Past performance isn't indicative of future results, but Arkansas hasn't won more than 4 games in a season since 2016. I mean, they didn't just suck last year, they have sucked for quite a while. Sure they may be improved this year, but they aren't going to the playoff.

I could see this team being similar to the 2014 Texas Bowl team the last time we played. Sure it finished 7-6 but it was obvious they were better than the Texas Bowl - lost to Alabama by one point, beat the shit out of Ole Miss and LSU, lost to A&M in OT, lost to then-#1 Mississippi State by 7.

Not a great team by any means but finished #10 in the country in total defense and with a little more luck and better coaching would have finished with 8-10 wins.

Our team last year actually won more SEC games than that 2014 team did.

13 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Giving effort and playing with fire isn’t found in any playbook. 

Effort can vary with context.

With things snowballing against you, effort may suffer.

It shouldn't, but we've all seen it before many times in sports.

Mack had a bunch of these WTF's including to Arkansas.  The season wasn't always over though.

But it does showcase real weaknesses that need to be addressed schematically and roster-wise.

Hopefully, this helps that to happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

I listened to most of RBKD yesterday on The Horn. They weren’t trying to create controversy or start a “Fire Sark” movement, but the points they went through, many of which have been discussed here, were all profoundly disturbing. They both think Casey should get the starting job now, but that was like their 5th or 6th most important factor in causing the outcome Saturday night.

Poor play on both lines, both in terms of talent and execution, failure by the coaching staff to recognize how bad their guys were going in and try to scheme around it. The game plans, particularly on defense from the very beginning not stacking the box and forcing KJJ to beat us down the field, and then not adjusting once it was clear we were getting run over by their run game were particularly egregious. Sark not preparing for or adjusting to a defense that had limited his superior talent at Alabama the year before using the same scheme, the list goes on and on. The self-scouting by this staff is going to need to get much better, and maybe they just can’t tell from practice alone and needed games to see how bad it really is, but if it isn’t clear after last weekend and we don’t adjust to it, it’s going to be a long season. 

"Failure to recognize how bad their guys were"

What are they supposed to do pick up the phone and call Arkansas and say we aren't ready? You can scheme around an undersized or inferior line, but you cannot scheme around blown assignments. If guys are coming completely free at the snap there is no scheming that's going to work.

17 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

"Failure to recognize how bad their guys were"

What are they supposed to do pick up the phone and call Arkansas and say we aren't ready? You can scheme around an undersized or inferior line, but you cannot scheme around blown assignments. If guys are coming completely free at the snap there is no scheming that's going to work.

What I think they meant was that he tried to run the same things he did at Alabama with personnel not well equipped to carry that out. I get what you are saying about blowing assignments, and we’ll see if that gets better as the season goes on. If it doesn’t, then that points to a different kind of coaching failure. Believe me, I want this guy to succeed, and so do Babers and Dunn, but listening to them really depressed me about the outlook. It’s early days yet and hopefully Sark can get things pointed in the right direction. 

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

See this is another problem with our fan base:

we literally got the shit kicked out of us by Arkansas and yet you dipshits are writing them off…. And say stupid shit like “they treated this game like it was their super bowl”

@TwiceHorn

Hmmm?

I didn't say that.  I think the "super bowl" thing is tiresome.  I do think most schools get "up" to play us.  And I think UA continues to treat this as a heated rivalry, while we don't.

I also have a feeling that maybe Arkansas will be improved this year.

ETA:  Whether they were "up," or "playing their Super Bowl," and whether they're a much improved team is fairly irrelevant to the shit show we saw Saturday.

I am going to reiterate that Sarkco must have thought we had it going pretty good and ULaLa confirmed it, only to get pantsed at Arkansas.  Still confounding as all hell.

Edited by TwiceHorn

34 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Did any of you guys play football? I am not trying to be a dick, I am truly asking.

Coaches run a particular scheme. They go to camps and conferences, exchange ideas, go to college teaching sessions all to hone the particular scheme they want to run. They all come from coaching trees. They learn it from a guy, tweak it a little, and pass it on to another guy. That's how it goes. Coaches don't really make wholesale changes to what they do. So when you hire a coach like Herman, he is going to come in here and run what he learned from Urban Meyer, damn be all if we have the tools to do it or not.

Steve runs what he has studied and crafted for the last 20 years. He isn't going to all the sudden turn into Briles, just like Briles isn't going to all the sudden turn into Gus Malzahn. That said, nothing Steve is calling is exotic. I have said this before, but it's the sequence in which he calls that people like him for. He runs on you until you commit, once you start flying up out come the RPOs, once you start trying to jump those, he goes over your head. He understands where the numbers are and does a good job exploiting them. However, if your line is blowing assignments left and right the whole "where the numbers are" thing is a mute point. We literally couldn't run on a 3 man line, which meant RPOs weren't going to work, because if they are sitting in 8 man coverages running slants into the teeth of it is a death sentence. You also are going to struggle going over the top of a cover 3 with 3 men dropping deep.

All Steve needs is a competent O line, Bijan will take care of the rest. They don't need to maul people, just give him a few seems and he will find them. Once that happens if we have decent QBing we are going to make hay. That running play we are all making fun of was one center went the wrong way from being good. If Majors remembers he has to block the DT Bijan is turning the corner with Junior leading and only one LB to beat between them. I like our chances there. A couple of those and Arkansas starts creeping. Now we have them where we want them.

Animated GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Did any of you guys play football? I am not trying to be a dick, I am truly asking.

Coaches run a particular scheme. They go to camps and conferences, exchange ideas, go to college teaching sessions all to hone the particular scheme they want to run. They all come from coaching trees. They learn it from a guy, tweak it a little, and pass it on to another guy. That's how it goes. Coaches don't really make wholesale changes to what they do. So when you hire a coach like Herman, he is going to come in here and run what he learned from Urban Meyer, damn be all if we have the tools to do it or not.

Steve runs what he has studied and crafted for the last 20 years. He isn't going to all the sudden turn into Briles, just like Briles isn't going to all the sudden turn into Gus Malzahn. That said, nothing Steve is calling is exotic. I have said this before, but it's the sequence in which he calls that people like him for. He runs on you until you commit, once you start flying up out come the RPOs, once you start trying to jump those, he goes over your head. He understands where the numbers are and does a good job exploiting them. However, if your line is blowing assignments left and right the whole "where the numbers are" thing is a mute point. We literally couldn't run on a 3 man line, which meant RPOs weren't going to work, because if they are sitting in 8 man coverages running slants into the teeth of it is a death sentence. You also are going to struggle going over the top of a cover 3 with 3 men dropping deep.

All Steve needs is a competent O line, Bijan will take care of the rest. They don't need to maul people, just give him a few seems and he will find them. Once that happens if we have decent QBing we are going to make hay. That running play we are all making fun of was one center went the wrong way from being good. If Majors remembers he has to block the DT Bijan is turning the corner with Junior leading and only one LB to beat between them. I like our chances there. A couple of those and Arkansas starts creeping. Now we have them where we want them.

Meanwhile.... Sark needs to change up his scheme to help out a non-competent O-line... that is all

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Animated GIF

25 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It just seams like Bijan was never able to find those seems

19 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

Seams like he couldn't.

I deserve every bit of that for those typing too fast slip ups.

Edited by Thatguy

3 hours ago, jinx said:

They also trailed at half to Rice. At home. And were tied at the end of the third quarter. Rice dreams of winning 4 games a season. 

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

I mean, Rod Babers did, and that’s whose opinions I was talking about. 

Look, I get what Sark wants to run, and I appreciate all the time you’ve put in on this thread explaining things, I really do.  It’s just that we’ve got plenty of film on the current o-line personnel trying to run inside zone and power up the gut over the last few years and it ain’t pretty. Then due to injuries  at the end of last year we switch to outside zone and all of a sudden we look like mid-90’s Nebraska. Now we switch back to focusing on IZ runs and in the first two games we’re right back to where we were with Herman banging our heads against a wall, only now without a power running QB that can play hero ball and salvage plays where the o-line breaks down. What’s more, at least in the first game the OZ runs were our most effective runs once again. 

We were told that Sark was this great offensive mind who would adapt what he does to fit the personnel that he has rather than force an inflexible system on players that can’t operate it efficiently. So far that’s not what we’re getting. Maybe it is just a matter of getting more reps, and better execution, but it seems like all of these guys should at least know where to be on these plays given how long they’ve been around. Or is Sark’s inside zone scheme that much different than the way Herman ran it?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, burdine said:

Agree he underestimated how far away we were from proficiency at inside zone.  Pretty puzzling considering the offensive track record of this staff.

I'm guessing it must be pretty key to other things he wants to do to stay with it in the face of poor performance.

Well... we have been working against our own run defense for awhile now

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I was there.  believe me.  it was their super bowl. it won't be like that against any other team they play.  its on our coaches and players for not expecting it and matching their intensity(In Ten Cities). they'll probably win 6 games(2 more gimmies and probably ole miss and aggy) now that they got the win against us.

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

I mean, Rod Babers did, and that’s whose opinions I was talking about. 

Look, I get what Sark wants to run, and I appreciate all the time you’ve put in on this thread explaining things, I really do.  It’s just that we’ve got plenty of film on the current o-line personnel trying to run inside zone and power up the gut over the last few years and it ain’t pretty. Then due to injuries  at the end of last year we switch to outside zone and all of a sudden we look like mid-90’s Nebraska. Now we switch back to focusing on IZ runs and in the first two games we’re right back to where we were with Herman banging our heads against a wall, only now without a power running QB that can play hero ball and salvage plays where the o-line breaks down. What’s more, at least in the first game the OZ runs were our most effective runs once again. 

We were told that Sark was this great offensive mind who would adapt what he does to fit the personnel that he has rather than force an inflexible system on players that can’t operate it efficiently. So far that’s not what we’re getting. Maybe it is just a matter of getting more reps, and better execution, but it seems like all of these guys should at least know where to be on these plays given how long they’ve been around. Or is Sark’s inside zone scheme that much different than the way Herman ran it?

The play in question was a simple counter. If you can't run counter with a single pulling lineman, what can you run? Look, I get what you all are saying, but you can't just throw away a whole portion of the playbook simply because the line isn't good at it. How ridiculous does that sound. Imagine we have a QB who isn't good at throwing the deep ball so we just decide to quit throwing it. Imagine what that would do to our offense. Opposing teams would jump every route we ran because they knew we weren't going to throw it. The entire defense would be up at the line of scrimmage. Running games only work because people fear the pass. Passing games only work because people fear the run. It works the same inside a running game as well. Variety in your running scheme is what makes it successful. It keeps defenses honest. Overplay the OZ and we hit you up inside. Start shooting gaps and OZ it is. In that game we ran counter outside against a team that was aggressively shooting gaps. It was a good call, Majors just had his head in his ass.

When Sark said he would tailor his calls to what we can do he mainly means the QB. Just like what he had to do with Jake Locker and Keith Price at UW. Both were decidedly different and so both got different plays, but the running game was still the running game.

I love all you guys to death, I really do, but you can't throw the whole thing in the dumpster because you lost your first game in week 2 of a new install. You gotta at least try and coach it and see what happens.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Believe me, I want this guy to succeed, and so do Babers and Dunn, but listening to them really depressed me about the outlook. It’s early days yet and hopefully Sark can get things pointed in the right direction. 

That's one of the problems putting so much faith in Babers. I can only listen to him for a short period of time because he's such a beating most of the time.

Babers likes to find something really negative and just "stat" you to death to convince you that he's actually right.  Not sure why Babers likes to run down that negative lane so much -- might be a confidence issue that causes him to "beat a dead horse" so much on his negative opinions he wants you to support.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hmmm?

I didn't say that.  I think the "super bowl" thing is tiresome.  I do think most schools get "up" to play us.  And I think UA continues to treat this as a heated rivalry, while we don't.

I also have a feeling that maybe Arkansas will be improved this year.

ETA:  Whether they were "up," or "playing their Super Bowl," and whether they're a much improved team is fairly irrelevant to the shit show we saw Saturday.

I am going to reiterate that Sarkco must have thought we had it going pretty good and ULaLa confirmed it, only to get pantsed at Arkansas.  Still confounding as all hell.

It is Pittman's 2nd year as coach.

3 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

They also trailed at half to Rice. At home. And were tied at the end of the third quarter. Rice dreams of winning 4 games a season. 

And Oklahoma only beat Tulane by 5. It happens. Hell Michigan ended up winning 9 games the season they lost to FCS Appalachian State. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

On 9/13/2021 at 5:26 AM, Sawbonz said:

And how the fuck do you have back to back top 5 recruiting classes and not have 5 at least serviceable OL?

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

Recruiting class rankings have absolutely zero to do with how well your class fills your specific needs.

Reese Moore .8997
Javonne Sheherd .8958
Willie Tyler .8367

Don't know if that is a high # of washouts relative to other programs or not. Meanwhile on the roster we have:
Rafiti Ghirmai, Tyler Johnson, Hookfin

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

That's one of the problems putting so much faith in Babers. I can only listen to him for a short period of time because he's such a beating most of the time.

Babers likes to find something really negative and just "stat" you to death to convince you that he's actually right.  Not sure why Babers likes to run down that negative lane so much -- might be a confidence issue that causes him to "beat a dead horse" so much on his negative opinions he wants you to support.  

Funny this just showed up...   "Stonehands"  😂😂😂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

That’s true enough, and if it was just him I’d put it in context, but it’s coming from Scipio,  Ian Boyd, all the guys on the 4th & 5 podcast as well. Brian Jones apparently recognized a lot of our team deficiencies after the ULL game. Babers is not really an outlier after this game. 

Nobody should be writing off Sark and this staff after two games, but as a fan base we’ve become pretty good at recognizing the early warning signs. Maybe it will be a good thing that all the poisons hatched out of the mud in one early game so that they can be identified and improved upon.  I sure hope so. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The play in question was a simple counter. If you can't run counter with a single pulling lineman, what can you run? Look, I get what you all are saying, but you can't just throw away a whole portion of the playbook simply because the line isn't good at it. How ridiculous does that sound. Imagine we have a QB who isn't good at throwing the deep ball so we just decide to quit throwing it. Imagine what that would do to our offense. Opposing teams would jump every route we ran because they knew we weren't going to throw it. The entire defense would be up at the line of scrimmage. Running games only work because people fear the pass. Passing games only work because people fear the run. It works the same inside a running game as well. Variety in your running scheme is what makes it successful. It keeps defenses honest. Overplay the OZ and we hit you up inside. Start shooting gaps and OZ it is. In that game we ran counter outside against a team that was aggressively shooting gaps. It was a good call, Majors just had his head in his ass.
  When Sark said he would tailor his calls to what we can do he mainly means the QB. Just like what he had to do with Jake Locker and Keith Price at UW. Both were decidedly different and so both got different plays, but the running game was still the running game.
  I love all you guys to death, I really do, but you can't throw the whole thing in the dumpster because you lost your first game in week 2 of a new install. You gotta at least try and coach it and see what happens.

The French leadership at Agincourt would agree with you completely. Just because the English intercepted their plans, doesn’t mean they should reconsider the strategy. It worked out so well for them, they became so famous for this decision.

Charging the machine gun lines with infantry in an open field was another brilliant tactic that should not have been abandoned. All those boys needed was one good push.