Back away from the ledge!! It's not as bad as you think ....yet.

Thatguy

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Let me reiterate. Saban lost to UAB. Not Arkansas on the road. UAB at home. UAB is in conference USA. He lost to them with LSU. 3-8 doesn't fucking matter. He lost to a C-USA team with an upper echelon SEC team. That is a worse loss than Arky on the road. ULM at home is a worse loss than Arky on the road as well.

The point is you guys only have perspective when it's your perspective and it fits your narrative. We had a 4 year starter at QB who is currently in the NFL. Our best lineman from last year is in the NFL. Eagles, Smith, and Black all gone as well. We have to replace all those pieces, so it stands to reason that when you combine these losses, with a brand new scheme and coaching staff, that the transition will be tough. The PTSD around here is off the charts. How bout we just let it play out. We could lose 5 more games. Then again we could run the table.

Replacing Eagles, Smith and Black is not exactly a high bar.   Black had 10 receptions for 240 yards.    

6 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Actually it is very clear if you just take the time to read instead of react.   I suggested that the coach watch the film from last year and look at the players, then evaluate their level of play and finding it deficient, bring in guys to help shore it up.   He decided to bring a RB with him, which we did not need.  We needed WRs and linemen.  Watch last years game and you will see we lacked....WRs and linemen.   You act like this is a completely new team full of freshman whom no one has ever observed in action before.   It is not.  We have seen Okafor and Kerstetter.  Hand tried to make them into a functioning group and was barely able to get them just above terrible.  Need and half-yard, well let's get the Battering Sam cause the line sure as shit can't get any push.   That Sam isn't here is irrelevant.  It is not a surprise.   

The Bill Snyder comment was about how he would recognize when a play worked and if it looked like you couldn't stop it he would keep doing it.  I believe they ran 2 plays against Muschamp's defense mostly just running it at the same guy all game long and Muschamp couldn't stop it.   The gripe with the play-calling was based on numerous factors.  The 4th down call was just shit. 

I am only a fan.  I get that they are young*, but this isn't a youth problem, this is an "I have no idea what I am doing" problem.   I have watched a young OU line become an asset to their team during the course of the same year.   And Jordan Whittington is not exactly in his first season.   This is not bigger than TX-OU.   So many players were bad at their job or do not know what their job is.  That is a huge cause for concern.  

*How many years are we going to hear this in a row, 37?

You are projecting all the prior years of frustrations at this coach. You are displaying signs of battered fan syndrome. You should probably take a couple games off and relax.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Perspective is not knowing that Saban went 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6, amd finally had the winning 9-2 season his 5th year before going to LSU. Perspective is not knowing he got beat by Standford 0-38, Wisconsin 14-45, Washington 23-51, Oregon 14-48, and Penn State hung 51 on him during the last game of his 4th year. Saban wasn't always the Saban you know.

Point is that you never know when a guy who used to be good is going to fall off or a guy who was merely OK is going to turn the corner. After virtually being "7 win Sark" at Michigan State for 4 years, the Spartans could've let Nick go, and they had every reason to. They gave him one more year, he went 9-2 and took the LSU job. Had they let him go, he likely ends up at a small school and never becomes the coach we know today.

You keep acting like Nick Saban has a peer and they are everywhere.  You are also repeating what is obvious.    It is not a knee-jerk reaction to watch a coach put players who had no idea what they were doing out their on the field and be concerned.    It is a knee jerk reaction to fire him.   No one is doing that.  But while you continue to sunshine pump after the team got their asses kicked all over the field I don't know why.   

We are all hoping for the best.  We were all willing to overlook some of the first game issues.   Hell, I wanted to keep Herman until we found a better option.  Paying this much to Sark was stupid to me.  I could damn well be wrong.   I hope like hell I am.  I hope you are right and that the team just needs another week to look as fundamentally sound as a high school/juco team not called Bishop Sycamore.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Perspective is not knowing that Saban went 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6, amd finally had the winning 9-2 season his 5th year before going to LSU. Perspective is not knowing he got beat by Standford 0-38, Wisconsin 14-45, Washington 23-51, Oregon 14-48, and Penn State hung 51 on him during the last game of his 4th year. Saban wasn't always the Saban you know.

Point is that you never know when a guy who used to be good is going to fall off or a guy who was merely OK is going to turn the corner. After virtually being "7 win Sark" at Michigan State for 4 years, the Spartans could've let Nick go, and they had every reason to. They gave him one more year, he went 9-2 and took the LSU job. Had they let him go, he likely ends up at a small school and never becomes the coach we know today.

I would call "not knowing" a lack of perspective, but I understand what you're saying.  And I also agree that you never know for sure, but that doesn't mean you can't observe how often it happens, or doesn't.  One of the earlier posters made the point really well.  Comparing a bad loss in year one to anything Saban's done is like comparing a college dropout's potential for success to that of Bill Gates.  

Otherwise, I understand where you're coming from.  I just disagree with you, apparently, about why Texas lost the way they did.  The approach on both sides of the ball, especially on defense, didn't make any sense to me.  But nobody pays me to call plays or coach kids, for very good reasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You are projecting all the prior years of frustrations at this coach. You are displaying signs of battered fan syndrome. You should probably take a couple games off and relax.

No, you are projecting.  It is why you keep trying to tell everyone that Sark could be the next Nick Saban.  You keep bringing up all of the records out of context and losses out of context.   Just like the comparison to the college dropout that became a billionaire to my niece who dropped out and works as a clerk in some shity job.  I mean she could see the challenges facing companies and develop a new inventive system that takes the world by storm and earns her trillions in USD.   But that is as likely as Sark becoming Saban Jr. 

We are not knee-jerk panicking.  What we are is like "whoa".   

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

TEXAS played like shit in a hostile environment in their first road game of 2021 -- Game #2 of SARK's first season here.

---Still a lot of games ahead in 2021 season.

Time for this coaching staff to earn their money by developing the players, reducing the mental mistakes, and playing better football.

Can’t argue with any of this.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Nivek said:

No, you are projecting.  It is why you keep trying to tell everyone that Sark could be the next Nick Saban.  You keep bringing up all of the records out of context and losses out of context.   Just like the comparison to the college dropout that became a billionaire to my niece who dropped out and works as a clerk in some shity job.  I mean she could see the challenges facing companies and develop a new inventive system that takes the world by storm and earns her trillions in USD.   But that is as likely as Sark becoming Saban Jr. 

No. You are absolutely knee-jerking. That's how it is around here. Last week all of you guys were raving about how Sark made adjustments quickly and called a good game. In a week the sky is falling. One week. If that's not knee-jerk I am not sure what is.

I am waiting to see.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Augustus said:

I would call "not knowing" a lack of perspective, but I understand what you're saying.  And I also agree that you never know for sure, but that doesn't mean you can't observe how often it happens, or doesn't.  One of the earlier posters made the point really well.  Comparing a bad loss in year one to anything Saban's done is like comparing a college dropout's potential for success to that of Bill Gates.  

Otherwise, I understand where you're coming from.  I just disagree with you, apparently, about why Texas lost the way they did.  The approach on both sides of the ball, especially on defense, didn't make any sense to me.  But nobody pays me to call plays or coach kids, for very good reasons.

The approach on defense wasn't the best, but I understand WHY he was doing it. He was doing exactly what Arkansas' DC was doing, only Arky was successful. Both offenses want you to dedicate a lot of bodies to the run so they can get one on one matchups on the outside. Both DCs were trying their best not to get baited into that. Arky was successful and we weren't. Simple as that.

Offensively we were a shit show with everything we attempted to do until Casey came in. Sark has shown not only in the past, but just last week that he can make adjustments and call a good game. Therefore I am not going to go all in on the sky is falling....just yet. To be honest, what really matters is recruiting. The better the recruits the bigger margin for error.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Creasy Bear said:

This.

Matt Rhule took over a Baylor dumpster fire and by year 3 they won 11 games.  The tools are there for Sark.  We just have to put it together and we should be able to win 9 games. 

Matt Rhule Baylor Record

• Yr 1       1-11
  • Yr 2       7-6
  • Yr 3       11-3

So comparing what SARK has walked into in his first year, isn't this current TEXAS team with so little experience at QB probably like Yr 2 for Rhule at Baylor??

Hate to say it, but 8-4 might be the upside for the regular season in 2021...  🤔

(Edit... Hope I'm wrong and we get to B12 CG)

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

12 hours ago, Nivek said:

I mean, you're both potentially right.  There's just not enough evidence to know.  Clearly, thatguy likes the Sark hire and has a lot of confidence in his ability to right the ship.

The "naysayers" basically don't share that confidence and are traumatized by the Arkansas game.

You can argue back and forth all day, but there's no criteria to determine who's right except to let it play out.

Probably the most interesting thing about the argument is this notion that all good coaches have a preferred scheme that they want to implement ASAP.  I think that is undoubtedly true.  This idea is juxtaposed against the competing notion that a good coach should have the flexibility to modify or adapt that preferred scheme (or abandon it entirely?) based on the talent on-hand and its ability to run that scheme: the "chicken salad out of chicken shit" argument.

Interestingly, I think one of Mack Brown's major flaws was that he didn't really have a preferred scheme to recruit to, hire assistants to, and implement.  And it seems his chicken salad/shit ability varied almost entirely with whatever assistants he had (Harsin, Gerg/Tomey, and Muschamp I think being notable examples). 

Only time will tell. And one of the key questions is how much time is enough time?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

The approach on defense wasn't the best, but I understand WHY he was doing it. He was doing exactly what Arkansas' DC was doing, only Arky was successful. Both offenses want you to dedicate a lot of bodies to the run so they can get one on one matchups on the outside. Both DCs were trying their best not to get baited into that. Arky was successful and we weren't. Simple as that.

Could you breakdown the below series after we scored beginning at 1:03:33 ?     Failed corner blitz,  check the defensive formation on the run at 1:04:20.   Terrible.

Don't buy Sark's explanation of being worn down.

There aren’t many teams around the country that have not looked mediocre or downright crappy in one of their games this season. Many of those didn’t run into as hostile environment as we did either. We’re only in week 3.

Granted they were playing each other but Clemson and Georgia’s offense were less than good in that game.

No Big 12 team has looked good each time. Maybe you could say TCU but good versus Cal is probably generous. And Duquesne doesn’t count for much.

Lots left to be played. Any team with a new staff should improve throughout the season more than one with an ingrained staff. In theory.

We didn’t play well versus ArKansas, but through the first 3 quarters nothing went our way. An inch or two from having 1st and goal. A doinked in FG. A non-call late hit on our QBs knees. The Card fumble was somewhat unfortunate. They made it happen, but it was fortunate for their guy that got no pash rush. We missed opportunity after opportunity in the passing game while making none.

Now one of the understated failures in the game was limited use of Roschon but really the RBs in the passing game. I think Roschon had 3 touches and two first downs.

We’ve all seen a terrible game turn into a positive season. That very much could happen here. The elements are there. And we’ve already seen a concession on Sarks part. A big one.

Now we wait and see.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

No. You are absolutely knee-jerking. That's how it is around here. Last week all of you guys were raving about how Sark made adjustments quickly and called a good game. In a week the sky is falling. One week. If that's not knee-jerk I am not sure what is.

I am waiting to see.

So now you are telling others how they feel not listening to their words, or their actions but you are damn sure you are right.   Are we married?

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Augustus said:

Your'e talking about "perspective" while your referent is the single most accomplished college football coach in the history of the sport, instead of the countless other coaches with similar outcomes.  You're talking about a coach who is 11-23 on the road, 47-36 overall, 0-19 when trailing by 10, and has been fired for personal issues, and you're comparing him to a coach who has no equal in his profession.  And let's be honest, if A&M or OU had hired this guy, you'd be laughing about it. You damn sure wouldn't be comparing him to Saban.

There are hundreds more Mike Sherman's who lose to Arkansas State in year one than there are Nick Saban's who lose to ULM or UAB. 

And for the record, I want Sark to succeed magnificently because 1) I'm a sober alcoholic and didn't get that way until I was 45 so it cost me a fuckton, so I'm on the guy's side,  and 2) It will make my mom and my favorite brother, as well as the rest of my enormous Texas Ex family deliriously happy, which will make me happy.  I've never been a Texas-hating Aggie because I grew up in a huge Longhorn family, except for one grandpa who went to A&M.  My best friend in this world, godfather to my son, was a Longhorn and I cheered on Vince Young in the Rose Bowl right beside him, and wherever is on the other side, it would make him happy too.  So save the "A&M sucks, your point is invalid stuff."  I wish the guy nothing but success.  Except when he plays us, then he can fuck off.

Your other brothers are on surly and now have hurt feelings.

Awkward Thanksgiving coming up!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, you're both potentially right.  There's just not enough evidence to know.  Clearly, thatguy likes the Sark hire and has a lot of confidence in his ability to right the ship.

The "naysayers" basically don't share that confidence and are traumatized by the Arkansas game.

You can argue back and forth all day, but there's no criteria to determine who's right except to let it play out.

Probably the most interesting thing about the argument is this notion that all good coaches have a preferred scheme that they want to implement ASAP.  I think that is undoubtedly true.  This idea is juxtaposed against the competing notion that a good coach should have the flexibility to modify or adapt that preferred scheme (or abandon it entirely?) based on the talent on-hand and its ability to run that scheme: the "chicken salad out of chicken shit" argument.

Interestingly, I think one of Mack Brown's major flaws was that he didn't really have a preferred scheme to recruit to, hire assistants to, and implement.  And it seems his chicken salad/shit ability varied almost entirely with whatever assistants he had (Harsin, Gerg/Tomey, and Muschamp I think being notable examples). 

Only time will tell. And one of the key questions is how much time is enough time?

No one said otherwise.   It is less traumatized and more "well that sucked, how did the coaches miss these issues with the team?" and not a "sky is falling."  Mixed in with a little bit of "how can they fix the issues or bandaid it."  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

You obviously didn't watch the game or are just a mouth breather. How about you just not watch any games and don't come to the board till OU. Then you can decide if you want to continue watching. For now just shut the fuck up with your whining. You don't write sark's checks and you don't have any say in his job status. Root for the team or don't, but stop being such a bitch. 

Are you drunk posting again?  Might want to seek help.  

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hahaha, paywall, but DMN getting in on the hypervigilance act: https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-longhorns/2021/09/15/tom-herman-under-a-different-name-steve-sarkisians-early-loss-gives-texas-an-all-too-familiar-feel/

I suppose that article was driven by reading threads like this.

If it gets more clicks, they'll keeping writing stuff like this.  Best way to make this stuff go away is by WINNING...

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hahaha, paywall, but DMN getting in on the hypervigilance act: https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-longhorns/2021/09/15/tom-herman-under-a-different-name-steve-sarkisians-early-loss-gives-texas-an-all-too-familiar-feel/

Hot takes get read more. 

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think Herman's biggest problem was / is he's a giant dick. I think he is temperamentally unfit to be a head coach and will never succeed anywhere else. At UH he lucked into a non-P5 superstar QB and a generational DL talent (whose recruitment was a fluke) and still underachieved. I can't think of a big-time head coach who was more immature and just...a dick. It seems nobody had anything good to say about him, and who knows what went on behind the scenes? So I think that was two coaches in a row that were...maybe coordinators. At best in Herman's case. Time will tell, but when and if he gets another HC job I bet he bombs out again unless he radically alters his personality.

Orgeron did it enough to win an NC so anything's possible I guess. 

Setting aside the elephant in the room, temperament is not Sark's problem. Unless he slips up in that department assholery and arrogance won't be his downfall. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think Herman's biggest problem was / is he's a giant dick. I think he is temperamentally unfit to be a head coach and will never succeed anywhere else. At UH he lucked into a non-P5 superstar QB and a generational DL talent (whose recruitment was a fluke) and still underachieved. I can't think of a big-time head coach who was more immature and just...a dick. It seems nobody had anything good to say about him, and who knows what went on behind the scenes? So I think that was two coaches in a row that were...maybe coordinators. At best in Herman's case. Time will tell, but when and if he gets another HC job I bet he bombs out again unless he radically alters his personality.

Setting aside the elephant in the room, temperament is not Sark's problem. Unless he slips up in that department assholery and arrogance won't be his downfall. 

I am fairly convinced Herman's a drunk/addict.  Maybe not quite in full flower, but well on the way.  That goes a long way to explaining dickishness and the whole sort of inauthenticity of the guy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t think it can be stressed enough that this staff took over for a roster full of mentally fucked football players. Runny eggs for not being a practice warrior, not saying hi to anybody but Sam, over bulking kids so they lose their explosiveness on purpose, not knowing Dickson’s name because he’s a punter and he hates special teams (our special teams sucked ass under him). I don’t know if this is an isolated event or if a lot of head coaches have to spend the first 8 months un-fucking a nightmare of mental terrorism but I think after really hearing what herman was doing then there’s a perspective of what this staff is still dealing with. I’m still optimistic that we find the right magic with Bijan and Casey then play for the big 12 title because the big 12 is ass my dude lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I’m still optimistic that we find the right magic with Bijan and Casey then play for the big 12 title because the big 12 is ass my dude lol. 

at this point I would consider getting pounded by the 3rd best SEC team in the Sugar Bowl a successful season

• Haha 1

Could it be, the hysterical reaction to Sark’s second game on campus be part of the reason some top coaches are hesitant to coach here? I think so.
The jobs where you get paid like you get paid at Texas will all react like this to outcomes like Saturday.

Plenty of jobs where fans/media won't react as harshly that also don't pay as well.

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Saban is a dick. Meyer is a dick. Herman's biggest problem was his shitty staff hires and dumb in-game decisions. But even despite all his fuck ups, he clearly had talent (beat OU at Houston, beat FSU in the Peach Bowl, destroyed Lamar Jackson's Louisville team, was destroying OU until turtling, and beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl). I agree he didn't have the maturity to lead a program like Texas, but his head coaching resume is way fucking more impressive than Sark's.

1 minute ago, TXpride said:

Saban is a dick. Meyer is a dick. Herman's biggest problem was his shitty staff hires and dumb in-game decisions. But even despite all his fuck ups, he clearly had talent (beat OU at Houston, beat FSU in the Peach Bowl, destroyed Lamar Jackson's Louisville team, was destroying OU until turtling, and beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl). I agree he didn't have the maturity to lead a program like Texas, but his head coaching resume is way fucking more impressive than Sark's.

Well he doesn't coach here anymore so fuck him

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, torre said:

Could you breakdown the below series after we scored beginning at 1:03:33 ?     Failed corner blitz,  check the defensive formation on the run at 1:04:20.   Terrible.

Don't buy Sark's explanation of being worn down.

Ist down we bring pressure off the boundary, he overruns the play a little but still forces the rb to cut upfield where Overshown can clean it up. Good play. The 2nd and 11 play is hard to tell because we cannot see the back end. But from what you can see we bring the alley defender on a blitz. They have two receivers to that side one running up the seam and another out wide. I cannot see what type of conflict that put the safety to that side in, but the corner seems to think he is supposed to have help over the top and doesn't. Edit, the receiver in the slot attacks the safety on a deep post, both safeties run with him and no one is over top of the receiver deep. After the deep ball both the DE and Brock get frozen by the zone read action leaving a gaping hole for the cut back. You can find mistakes like this all over the game, which didn't help that we were playing light in the box too. When people say worn down it doesn't always show physically, it can show mentally as well. We started making more and more mental errors on defense late in the game.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Here is the thing TwiceHorn. I don't know if Sark will be good or not. With Herman I KNEW he was going to be shit. You cannot bring a low scoring offensive philosophy to the big12. Ask Tommy Tuberville how that worked out. That ship has sailed. All it will do is keep teams hanging around and you end up losing games you shouldn't. Case in point last year. How many games did we lose by a single score? Herman would've worked out if it were not for that bullshit offensive philosophy, and I was soap boxing that even before we offered.

Sark, on the other hand, calls plays where if you get the players in place, you can score big. It's also NFL relatable. That is something kids wanna hear. Ed Orgeron just won a NC. Let me repeat that. ED ORGERON JUST WON A NC. What that goes to show is if you have decent coordinators around you, and you can recruit, you can overcome even the dumbest head coaches. So with the way Sark calls games, if we can just recruit at a high level like when Mack was here we can get back to being in the conversation. I don't know if that will happen or not, but I am willing to give the guy more than 2 games to right the ship.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nivek said:

So now you are telling others how they feel not listening to their words, or their actions but you are damn sure you are right.   Are we married?

Lol. I am listening to your words, but like a typical woman they are missing logic. We hired a coach because the one before him couldn't get his shit together. So it stands to reason once you peel the layers back you are going to find dysfunction. We hire a coach to replace the dysfunctional one, and two games in you guys expect us to be playing sound football. OK. Got it!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1