Pepperdine - Lorenzo Romar

Maine - Richard Barron

Colorado State - Niko Medved

Charlotte - Ron Sanchez

South Alabama - Richie Riley

Florida Atlantic - Dusty May

UTEP - Rodney Terry

• Like 1

I still haven't heard anything from Pitt friends about the opening.  Not hearing Miller's name at all, nor Cronin from Cincinnati.  I'd like to see Cronin in a P5 school.  We played against him in the Big East and he's good.  Maybe Louisville backs a truck up and makes it worth his while (he coached there too).

Speaking of Louisville,  I wonder also if Pitino is finally too toxic or if he finds a home (NCAA or NBA).  The guy is filthy, but like Cal, wins.

5 hours ago, Roofle said:

Am I crazy or is the Cross firing at UTA stupid as hell? They won a school record 27 games last year, although they underperformed this year. Still, their AD seems like a clown.

Stupid as hell.

Chris Ogden should be a candidate for that job.

5 hours ago, Roofle said:

Am I crazy or is the Cross firing at UTA stupid as hell? They won a school record 27 games last year, although they underperformed this year. Still, their AD seems like a clown.

They don't seem to realize their place in the pecking order. Cross was really popular and was getting good players. They could have easily been a Cinderella the last couple years, just didn't win conference tourney. AD Jim Baker was at UT from like 1991-2011.

In his 20 years with the Longhorns, Baker had wide-ranging responsibilities, from directing merchandising and concessions, to overseeing more than a dozen athletic facilities construction projects. He had chief responsibility for the Texas golf and baseball programs and directed all game-day activities for football.

9 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Would've really liked Mack over Shaka. Never would have happened, but I feel he would have been a perfect fit

Solid move by UL. Not sure why you think Mack to Texas never would have happened, but I guess it doesn't really matter now.

I know I’ve said this before....

when KU hired Self there was no other option. None. He was the best coaching prospect and was far and away the brightest blip on the coaching talent radar for the next decade at least.  Chris Mack is the brightest blip on the coaching radar right now and I’m not seeing one coach out there that is younger than 47 or so that even has a chance of becoming a HOF coach. Mack is the only guy out there right now and I would have liked for him to replace self if bill was going to leave in the next 5 years. Now, unfortunately for the blue bloods, Mack is in a position where he will either flame out at a near top level program or he will get it back to prominence and never leave. 

That was one of the best, and most obvious, hires of the last decade. 

14 hours ago, TEXAS1026 said:

Stupid as hell.

Chris Ogden should be a candidate for that job.

It sounds like Cross was fired with the intention to hire Ogden. UTA AD was sitting behind Tech bench at AAC for the tourney. 

1 hour ago, TTU13 said:

It sounds like Cross was fired with the intention to hire Ogden. UTA AD was sitting behind Tech bench at AAC for the tourney. 

Ogden’s a good pickup for them. He was Beard’s first assistant, no? It was only a short matter of time before he got a HC spot.

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He did go to a Final 4. 

No he didn’t.  The Blake Griffin team lost in the Elite Eight.  Kruger made the final four a few years ago with Buddy Hield, and had the biggest loss is FF history to Villanova.

Edited by 'stache

49 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Surprised Mack took the UL job w/out knowing what the NCAA will hand down  punishments on them, but damn good hire for them. 

I think we'll be surprised here.  UL already served their postseason ban and scholly reductions.  I went through the penalties and the only thing that will affect the program for the next 3 years is probation.  If he runs a tight ship then that won't be a problem at all.

I say we will be surprised on the FBI stuff because everything that has come out so doesn't mean shit yet.  It might not mean shit for years.  There is a 4 year statute of limitations on NCAA infractions.  The UL stuff isn't scheduled for trial until spring/summer 2019.  2 things could happen then... 1) Plea deals and no trial (means no evidence is released) or 2) Trial is continued for another year.  If the first happens then the NCAA will have nothing to punish.  Sure they have the indictment but that isn't proven fact until a defendant is found guilty (unless the FBI hands over evidence collected to NCAA which might not even be legally allowed).  If #2 happens then by the time everything plays out we might have passed the statute of limitations.

Then you have the wildcard.  Condie Rice finishes her report and investigations and new business plan for the NCAA.  The member schools put in new rules and oversight and transparency and everyone just calls it good and no one gets penalized.  Pitino is easy to penalize, he's a good villain.  But K, Roy, Izzo, Self, and many others will likely be protected if at all possible.

So yeah... I wouldn't expect much.  This deal has the potential to wipe out P5 basketball based on the simple fact that even guys like Fred Van Vleet (former WSU guard) got paid like $5k.  If you recruited top 100 players they probably got paid by someone making them ineligible no matter where they played.  I doubt even Pitt wants to vacate last year badly enough to have 50 schools ineligible for postseason play (one of which might be them).

The fact that UL is on probation when the FBI sit hit may lead to more sanctions.  Wasn’t the PS ban self imposed?  They may very well get the UNC treatment, or the 2A could be so pissed at UNC they throw the book at UL.  Still surprised he took the job without clear knowledge of their sanctions. 

They were self imposed for the 16-17 season but the NCAA accepted them and did not punish further.  It should be noted that those were for the hooker scandals.  Nothing has been levied from the FBI stuff.

I just doubt that the FBI thing is going to materialize much.  The assistant coaches are looking at 80 years in prison.  Not a chance those coaches don't reach plea deals.  Same with the adidas guys.  They aren't going to fight that unless adidas tells them that adidas has their back.  I honestly don't think a drop of evidence ever comes out.  At that point, it is up to the NCAA to ask for the evidence and since the NCAA is a collective of the member schools and the evidence is apparently so damning that it could wipe out nearly all of P5 schools, do we really expect the NCAA to pick up the phone and ask for the gun that they will kill themselves with?  Mark Emmert is possible more Roger Goodell than Roger Goodell.  He is going to protect the brands as much as he can.  The dude literally doesn't give a shit about what others think of him or his processes.  He protects the money.

20 hours ago, Roofle said:

Ogden’s a good pickup for them. He was Beard’s first assistant, no? It was only a short matter of time before he got a HC spot.

He left Tenn to join Beard at UNLV and then followed him to Lubbock. I believe he was the lead recruiter for Culver and Zhaire. 

On 3/27/2018 at 11:41 AM, GabrielsHorn said:

Looks like Pitt is looking to drop some bags. 

Way late on the reply here, but holy shit, Capel is one of the most prolific bag-droppers in CBB history. Huge pickup for Pitt. Capel comes in, drops some bags, gets the program on track again, and then leaves before the sanctions hit. The next coach is a decent one, since Capel's bag dropping has returned the team to relevance and the new staff gets to claim "we aren't responsible for the doings of the old staff". It's a solid plan.

1 hour ago, Roofle said:

Way late on the reply here, but holy shit, Capel is one of the most prolific bag-droppers in CBB history. Huge pickup for Pitt. Capel comes in, drops some bags, gets the program on track again, and then leaves before the sanctions hit. The next coach is a decent one, since Capel's bag dropping has returned the team to relevance and the new staff gets to claim "we aren't responsible for the doings of the old staff". It's a solid plan.

I hope at least part of what you have predicted comes true.

• Like 1

• Machinator changed the title to 2018 college basketball coaching carousel
4 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

It is, but they did Cross dirty. 

24 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I wonder where cross will go. Wish he wanted to take an assistant spot here...

Has more come out about why he was fired? Is it simply the AD wanted to hire Ogden?

2 hours ago, WJC88 said:

Has more come out about why he was fired? Is it simply the AD wanted to hire Ogden?

Read where the AD and Cross were butting heads from day 1. Cross wasn’t the ADs hire I don’t think. The AD thinks (and wants) UT-A to be a program like Gonzaga. (His words.)

Edited by Pancho Negro

• Pancho changed the title to College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition