This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Everything went sideways when Colt got injured against Bama.

That’s how Mack portrayed it, and it would be interesting to see how the rest of that game (and 2010) played out had Colt not gotten hurt… but under the surface it was already a program in decline.  

The OL recruiting/development had already fallen off a cliff and the RB corps that year was pretty mediocre.  

Colt, Shipley, and Muschamp’s defense carried that team.

• Fuck You 1

46 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I dunno man.  I don't think he was recruiting very well at all. Everything was slipping.

I don't think he would drop to 5 and 6 win seasons multiple years in a row.  but he wasn't winning the conf again for sure.  I'm just saying it would have been like Herman and his last 2 years.

sure recruiting was slipping but Mack with Texas name probably could have been good enough for the 8-9 after he righted the ship after 5-7.

We're gonna lose to Kansas, aren't we? I'm getting 2016 vibes the same way before we played them. I bet we'll see players on the sideline throw a fit because goddammit we're Texas and we don't lose to Kansas. Well guess what Charles Omenihu, ya lost to Kansas. Fucking wake up SARK! WAKE THE FUCK UP! 

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

God damn it I looked at Alabama and they are the same shit. Since 1971 they have had 9 seasons with 7 or fewer wins. 50 fucking years of staying in the top tier of programs. We are going on our 17th season in 50 years to win 7 games or less. Bama, Oklahoma and Texas…one of these things is not like the other. 

You gotta learn how to count. 84,87,90,97,98,00,01,03,04,06,07. But basically they won big with Bear and Saban, two of the  greatest 5 coaches of all time? HC Record outside of those two guys in your specified time period is 171-105 (.62%). Not terrible, but would translate into 7.4 wins a year based on a 12 game schedule. All that just reinforces my opinion that the HC is single biggest determinant. Take away Bear Bryant and Nick Saban, and Alabama aint all that.  Take away Royal and Brown and Texas is worse. 

Edit - 171-105 (.62%) record was from wiki, who doesnt reflect games that bama had to vacate for cheating. looking at sports reference I get 195-96 (.67%), so basically 8-4 in a 12 game season. Pretty good, not elite.  

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texaspython said:

The people clamoring for Sark to be fired are the same people who thought it was smart to fire Mack. The lack of self awareness with some of you is astounding. 

Umm. How can you compare Mack to loser sark?   Mack won a championship  and regularly won ten games a gear. 
sark has never one ten games in a single year.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texaspython said:

I knew it was a huge mistake then. You don’t fire an icon without a solid replacement. Firing Mack to appease the morons was/is a huge disaster. 

Mack was horrible. They just hired bad. I think the 2005 NC has your brain scrambled to what he was in 2012. That piece of shit had to go. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

It’s important to point out how done Mack was in 2013.

Who gives a shit about his record or that he was playing for a title. It was about to crater.

In his final two games, we gave up 60 and scored 17. Seven of the points were on a crazy 10 play, 17 yard drive or something crazy like that. More interception return yards than passing yards. The offensive line had a shit ton of starts and all but Espinosa leaving. He was beginning to reach for recruits like Desmond Harrison. NFL guy you say. He had the maturity of a first grader and that’s why he washed out in record time. Our QB situation was not good. We had few playmakers on offense. Our RB was more ground it out than playmaker. The defense had good upper class talent, but there was limited depth. There wasn’t much depth anywhere.

Mack was done here.

Absolutely.

2 hours ago, Texaspython said:

I knew it was a huge mistake then. You don’t fire an icon without a solid replacement. Firing Mack to appease the morons was/is a huge disaster. 

Hi Sally! Congrats on the HUGE win over unbeaten Wake Forest!

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I dunno man.  I don't think he was recruiting very well at all. Everything was slipping.

Again, absolutely.

57 minutes ago, ONE YARD said:

Umm. How can you compare Mack to loser sark?   Mack won a championship  and regularly won ten games a gear. 
sark has never one ten games in a single year.  

U shore spel gud

50 minutes ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

Mack was horrible. They just hired bad. I think the 2005 NC has your brain scrambled to what he was in 2012. That piece of shit had to go. 

I agree it was time when Mack was let go, but his run from 00-09 was pretty damn elite. Yeah, VY was what pushed him over the top, but Mack's recruiting over that decade resulted in a record (85% winning percentage) that is pretty damn difficult to achieve.  

image.png.a23088b948d822d06576829b16ca5131.png

There's a lot of people here that are convinced that its the culture of the UT Austin administration that prevents us from winning, yet we won plenty not that long ago. It just couldnt have anything to do with the culture instilled by our booger eating football savants Strong, Herman, and 7-win Steve. Unpossible. 

We just suck at hiring football coaches. Eventually we will dumbass into another great coach and miraculously our "culture" will improve. But it  certainly wont be the football coach that changes that culture. No sir, it will be the fans and AD.  

Edited by Blotto

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

You gotta learn how to count. 84,87,90,97,98,00,01,03,04,06,07. But basically they won big with Bear and Saban, two of the  greatest 5 coaches of all time? HC Record outside of those two guys in your specified time period is 171-105 (.62%). Not terrible, but would translate into 7.4 wins a year based on a 12 game schedule. All that just reinforces my opinion that the HC is single biggest determinant. Take away Bear Bryant and Nick Saban, and Alabama aint all that.  Take away Royal and Brown and Texas is worse. 

Edit - 171-105 (.62%) record was from wiki, who doesnt reflect games that bama had to vacate for cheating. looking at sports reference I get 195-96 (.67%), so basically 8-4 in a 12 game season. Pretty good, not elite.  

Shut your fucking mouth, that’s elite. 50 years they do no worse than 8 wins almost guaranteed like clockwork. That’s phenomenal. Nobody maintains that without being willing to do unscrupulous shit. Bear Bryant and saban both did their best “coaching” while at bama lol. You think that’s a coincidence? Meyer at Florida, stoops at blOwU, smart at Georgia, dabo at Clemson. These are all coaches who don’t really recruit in the traditional sense of the term lol. They sell their brand and if that doesn’t work then they flat out pay for their players. You can be an above average coach when your players get yards even when the play is shitty. That’s what VY did for Mack. 

6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I agree it was time when Mack was let go, but his run from 00-09 was pretty damn elite. Yeah, VY was what pushed him over the top, but Mack's recruiting over that decade resulted in a record (85% winning percentage) that is pretty damn difficult to achieve.  

image.png.a23088b948d822d06576829b16ca5131.png

There's a lot of people here that are convinced that its the culture of the UT Austin administration that prevents us from winning, yet we won plenty not that long ago. It just couldnt have anything to do with the culture instilled by our booger eating football savants Strong, Herman, and 7-win Steve. Unpossible. 

We just suck at hiring football coaches. Eventually we will dumbass into another great coach and miraculously our "culture" will improve. But it  certainly wont be the football coach that changes that culture. No sir, it will be the fans and AD.  

Were you alive during those 2000’s? Do you remember how many games we shit the bed in that would have resulted in big 12 title game appearances or national championship games? Taysom hill ring a bell? What about Matt jones? If Mack gets the support Meyer or saban get then those are all different outcomes. We have 14 big 12 titles and 5 title game appearances. Peterson picks Texas, all those Dallas kids that went to Oklahoma or Ohio state, and the list goes on and on man. 

Guys like Jimmy Johnson, Urban Meyer and Lincoln Riley are just winners. All coaches say the right things, say they demand excellence, but not all really do. Jimmy Johnson DEMANDED excellence. You think Lincoln Riley would have gone into this season with Card and Thompson as his options at QB? Of course not. he would have found a transfer from somewhere. Why did Sark not do this? I am betting he knew what he had. But he rolled with it. Even now his reaction to what is happening seems passive. Righ now, Jimmy would have some kids under so much heat they would be leaving the program. Urban would probably stroke out. They mean it when they say they demand excellence, for winning coaches its win or die, almost literally. We haven't had a coach like that for a very long time. This will still be a top program/job when Sark is fired in five years. I hope we finally hire a man with an actual record of winning as a head coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Were you alive during those 2000’s? Do you remember how many games we shit the bed in that would have resulted in big 12 title game appearances or national championship games? Taysom hill ring a bell? What about Matt jones? If Mack gets the support Meyer or saban get then those are all different outcomes. We have 14 big 12 titles and 5 title game appearances. Peterson picks Texas, all those Dallas kids that went to Oklahoma or Ohio state, and the list goes on and on man. 

Yeah I was alive, but I try to not remember all the bedshitting.  That graphic tells me we lost 19 games, which apparently isnt a lot based on every other team in the f'n country. There were a lot of things I bitched about during Mack's tenure, but his success recruiting was pretty far down the list. You must consider him the greatest coach alive to accomplish all that he did with the roadblocks and toxic culture in Austin. Its a goddamn miracle.

Whatever. Maybe the next guy after Sark will be the guy, maybe it will take 3 more after him. But when that coach does set foot on campus, you will see shit turn around, just like it did when Saban showed up in Bama or Stoops showed up in Norman. If you are rolling with a shitty coach, everything else is just noise. 

4 hours ago, Texaspython said:

Ah, you’re the guy who would have fired Saban after losing at home to Louisiana Monroe. 

Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

Nick Saban at an absolutely moribund Michigan St program had a 9 win season within 5 seasons.

Steve Sarkisian took 8 seasons in a weak PAC and USC to get to 9 wins.

Saban is a sample size of 1. And guess how many shitty hires Bama had in the 20 years before Saban?

Edited by lilMAC25

4 hours ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Firing Mack was the right decision.  Pursuing Saban was the right decision.  The problem occurs when you swing for the fences and miss and have to fall back on Plan “B” up-and-comer types that long history of watching the sport proves is hit-or-miss with probably far more misses than hits in terms of living up to the hype coming out of “insert tier 2 or 3 job here”.  Pursuing Urban Meyer was the right decision, but the afore-mentioned problem reared it’s head again when you miss and that’s where we are now.  

Very well said.

13 minutes ago, Pourquoi said:

Drunk monkey, you say? 

I think Bama is actually putting into practice the drunk monkey calling plays theory.  Maybe it keeps shit interesting for Saban.  Kind of like Jerry hiring Switzer and then Switzer actually winning the damn thing(or at least being the head coach on the org chart)

5 hours ago, Texaspython said:

The people clamoring for Sark to be fired are the same people who thought it was smart to fire Mack. The lack of self awareness with some of you is astounding. 

Do you know where you are? We're adults on an internet forum who have all the answers until we don't, and then we do, and then we don't. We're very smart people. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

Mike Dubose 1997-2000    24-23

Fran 2001-2002     25-17

Mike Price (fired for solicitation)

Mike Shula      10-23

Fran was 17-8, 42 games in two seasons would be miraculous. 
Shula was 26-23. 

In 2005 Alabama was ranked #4 overall for a portion of the season lol. Saban did not take over a Vanderbilt roster in 07 lol. His defense had rolando McClain starting at MLB, name a player we have who could hold his jockstrap? Son of a bitch in the 06 class before saban got there they signed the #1 overall player Andre Smith who went on to become an all American and anchor of the OL for 4 years. This shit isn’t even comparable for what Sark was handed. Haha 

Edited by WinningIsHard
Idoit
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Fran was 17-8, 42 games in two seasons would be miraculous. 
Shula was 26-23. 

In 2005 Alabama was ranked #4 overall for a portion of the season lol. Saban did not take over a Vanderbilt roster in 07 lol. His defense had rolando McClain starting at MLB, name a player we have who could hold his jockstrap? Son of a bitch in the 06 class before saban got there they signed the #1 overall player Andre Smith who went on to become an all American and anchor of the OL for 4 years. This shit isn’t even comparable for what Sark was handed. Haha 

Blame my dyslexia. He coached 25 games. 17-8 record.

the names and the fact that they hired 4 guys between their last MNC coach and Saban is what matters.

You know what else isn’t comparable? Nick Saban and Steve Sarkisian.

Edited by lilMAC25

2 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

Nick Saban at an absolutely moribund Michigan St program had a 9 win season within 5 seasons.

Steve Sarkisian took 8 seasons in a weak PAC and USC to get to 9 wins.

Saban is a sample size of 1. And guess how many shitty hires Bama had in the 20 years before Saban?

Christ everyone who brings up Saban's first year, as a reason to not fire a coach, is an idoit. The guy had already won a fucking National Championship and his nickname was NOT Seven Win Saban.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Christ everyone who brings up Saban's first year, as a reason to not fire a coach, is an idoit. The guy had already won a fucking National Championship and his nickname was NOT Seven Win Saban.

Ok, then how about 6–5–1, 6–6, 7–5, 6-6, 9-2, 10-2?

53 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Blame my dyslexia. He coached 25 games. 17-8 record.

the names and the fact that they hired 4 guys between their last MNC coach and Saban is what matters.

You know what else isn’t comparable? Nick Saban and Steve Sarkisian.

It was more of a hey Saban didn’t rebuild Alabama but sark absolutely has to rebuild texas so no comp there at all. They don’t need to be comparable anyway lol. Sark needs to be 70% of saban and we should love him but instead we think we deserve some shit that we don’t. At some point we will stop believing all the ass kissing that Klatt does and start listening to urban Meyer. That top 5 job was when Mack had us rolling, who the fuck wants to be coach #5 in a span of 11 years? 

On 10/16/2021 at 3:51 PM, dcar00 said:

yeah Gundy would have been a good hire.  probably 10 win kind of guy at Texas but likely never gets over the hump.

You haven't even sniffed a hump in years. 
The UT recruiting is always in the Top 15 yet you can't seem to coach them up.

Gundy scores around the 30s for recruiting, but he gets kids that are hungry, are coachable and aren't assholes for the most part. We get them in better condition physically and mentally. 

Still, we have to contend with ou's incredibly more talented players year after year and our record (like most in the Big 12) sucks against them. 

The UT problem is it's like that hot girl in high school that is in her 30s, has had 5 kids and still thinks she's HS hot and doesn't need to work out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Spudnuts said:

You haven't even sniffed a hump in years. 
The UT recruiting is always in the Top 15 yet you can't seem to coach them up.

Gundy scores around the 30s for recruiting, but he gets kids that are hungry, are coachable and aren't assholes for the most part. We get them in better condition physically and mentally. 

Still, we have to contend with ou's incredibly more talented players year after year and our record (like most in the Big 12) sucks against them. 

The UT problem is it's like that hot girl in high school that is in her 30s, has had 5 kids and still thinks she's HS hot and doesn't need to work out.

This is how everyone outside of UT perceives UT, which is a lot closer to reality than I want to admit. Only difference is, that HS hot girl will never be hot again, no matter what. UT can still be HS hot if we can figure out how to fix shit.

22 hours ago, Blotto said:

Gene Stallings did ok at Bama (70-16-1) with a natty. 

Maybe I’m crazy but I think it matters if it’s important to the real top brass (chancellor, pres, BOR, etc) that the football program is consistently good.

Seems obvious where these folks at ohio st, ou, bama, etc stand.

Texas, Meatchicken, usc, Florida, etc - harder to tell. And by harder to tell I mean I don’t think they give a fuck.

Fish always rots from the head down.

52 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Maybe I’m crazy but I think it matters if it’s important to the real top brass (chancellor, pres, BOR, etc) that the football program is consistently good.

Seems obvious where these folks at ohio st, ou, bama, etc stand.

Texas, Meatchicken, usc, Florida, etc - harder to tell. And by harder to tell I mean I don’t think they give a fuck.

Fish always rots from the head down.

I thnk Hartzell does but who knows if that permeates the rest.  we make money, other sports are decent, we have a shiny new addition to the stadium to show off, etc.   we are gonna get at least 4 years of Sark(probably 5 given the contract) come hell or high water because he was hired when we finally hired an AD that will be around long term and a Pres who was heavily involved in the process.

Charlie was awful and still got 3, Tom got 4 because he won a Sugar Bowl and was going to bowl games and winning them. 

I thnk Hartzell does but who knows if that permeates the rest.  we make money, other sports are decent, we have a shiny new addition to the stadium to show off, etc.   we are gonna get at least 4 years of Sark(probably 5 given the contract) come hell or high water because he was hired when we finally hired an AD that will be around long term and a Pres who was heavily involved in the process.
Charlie was awful and still got 3, Tom got 4 because he won a Sugar Bowl and was going to bowl games and winning them. 

I 100% believe they all want the football program to make money. Winning may be different. Harder even.

2 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

This year couldn't have gone worse or shown less promise, but I'm of the "just let him ride it out" mentality. We fire him in 2-4 years rinse and repeat, we'll never get anyone decent to come here ever again. 

yeah, uh, that's not the case at all.  is Sark decent?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/7/2021 at 7:24 PM, Blotto said:

You are right that taking away the two best coaches in history makes Alabama worse. Gene Stallings was a damn good coach. He won an NC, had 3 SECW titles in addition, and won 10+ games four times in his 7 seasons in Tuscaloosa. Never lost more than 5 in a year. 

4 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

This year couldn't have gone worse or shown less promise, but I'm of the "just let him ride it out" mentality. We fire him in 2-4 years rinse and repeat, we'll never get anyone decent to come here ever again. 

At any given time there are only a handful of coaches in college football who can win enough to satisfy Texas fans.

One of these days we'll stumble upon one.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/7/2021 at 3:51 PM, lilMAC25 said:

Mike Dubose 1997-2000    24-23

Fran 2001-2002     25-17

Mike Price (fired for solicitation)

Mike Shula      10-23

Come on now, if we are going to make fun of Bammer, let's be sure to do it right.

Mike Price’s Strip Club Adventure

Fast-forward to the middle of April in 2003. Price was in Pensacola, Florida to play in the Emerald Coast Classic Pro-Am golf tournament. The first thing the 57-year-old husband and father of three children (two of which were his sons and assistants at Alabama under him) does is make his way to a strip club, Arety’s Angels.

According to accounts in an in-depth piece from Sports Illustrated, Price bought hundreds of dollars worth of drinks and dances. After leaving to attend a golf tournament-related dinner, he headed back to the club and was seen “kissing and fondling a waitress” there.

Things get even spicier from there, though.

Price reportedly left Arety’s Angels with two women to head back to the Crowne Plaza Hotel where he was staying. One of the women (who wouldn’t say if she was paid for sex) said they partook in a threesome that included some pretty comical pillow talk.

“We started screaming ‘Roll Tide!’ and he was yelling back, ‘It’s rolling, baby, it’s rolling.'”

One of the women to Sports Illustrated

Price denied all of this.

After playing 18 holes the next morning, Price received news that someone had racked up $1,000 worth of room service in his hotel room. One of the women had ordered everything on the menu “all in to-go boxes.”

Price handled the issue when he got back to the hotel, but news of his wild night was spreading like wildfire back in Alabama.

Alabama Fired Price Before He Coached A Game

After previous allegations of Price partying into the early morning at local Tuscaloosa bars and even making advances on university students, which athletic director Mal Moore warned him about, this incident was the last straw for University of Alabama president Robert Witt.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Mike Price could fucking coach though.

Yeah, and the funny thing is the article I quoted is from 2020 talking about how that ultimately led to Saban. Who knows what happens if Price actually coached in Tuscaloosa.

Maybe we will get lucky enough to fuck around and find out at some point. Until then at least our coaches have stripper girlfriends with monkeys that bite people. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i think they are about to fuck around and find out.

mack was easy for deloss. 10 win seasons, one can rest on his laurels following a national championship, even though so many of us had issues with him. beating ou, winning big xii championships, etc, we didn't do that so well. but he still finally brought the trophy home. 

he also brought the dollars home. "come early, be loud, stay late, wear orange" was fucking brilliant. and it was occurring at a time when austin was growing up. and it also occurred at a time when half the crowd, maybe, wore orange. not sure that we've ever been loud, outside a couple of games, but the sentiment was great. he didn't just bring coaching, he brought a fucking marketing plan. that's why deloss loved him so much. mack made him his fortune, and won a national championship beside. should have won two more, if he was a good head coach. but he wasn't. he was a brilliant marketer. he convinced great players to come here. he would sometimes hold them back, but sometimes let them succeed. it was a love-hate relationship with the fans, because he never lost after ou, but he would lose against ou. just look at the trophy case. 

he built a mystique. he brought texas back to the forefront, not with coaching, but with marketing. he put players in the nfl, because he convinced nfl quality players to come here. but make no mistake, he wasn't an elite coach. he was a marketing guy. 

now we are left with that legacy. we attach our psyche to marketing. "texas, we're baa-aack". we were never really here. not in my lifetime. ou has owned us, our athletic department as far as football goes, is a fucking joke. we've hired the same coaching resume 3 times in a row now, and i was a charlie strong defender (recovered). we let the goddamn alumni run the goddamn athletic department, and that really is our legacy. thread title is "this is who steve sarkisian is."

we've hired the same goddamn coaching resume three times in a row. thing is, we've never really had any kind of coordinated coaching search, and that's the real problem here. it's a goddamn train wreck every time, because houston alumni disagree with dallas, or one has the ascendancy over the other. they are trying to prove themselves to one another rather than hire the right fucking guy in an orderly manner. yall hate herbstreit for saying it's a cesspool here, but our money folks have a way outsized influence, way more than other schools. alabama big money guys put a whisper in an AD's ear. a texas alum hires a goddamn ad agency. 

that's our biggest problem, i reckon. it's not "getting lucky" hiring a guy. it's that the hiring process is fucked. we got lucky with mack, but it wasn't because of a professional hiring process. it was because a certain part of our alumni with a certain amount of influence at the time wanted him.

i'm stunned, i'm pissed, i'm no longer surprised. 

Oklahoma Freakshow and I am the idoit.

seriously though.  CDC himself said something that I have been saying for a while.  He looks for a head coach that either has sustained top 10 type success or has built a program twice.   Why is that?  Because your reduce the chances of A) one hit  wonder/player covering for the coaching ability and B) you've probably tripped over a lot of the "neophyte" coaching rocks already.

He's done that with his other coach hires.

Sark has neither of those other than saying he coached at 2 P5 programs and didn't have losing seasons(save for the first UW season).  I had some hope that he was hiring P5 guys but based on what I've seen I just don't see him being the guy.  Is he gonna pull a Charlie or a Herman.  I'm expecting Herman and I'll be surprised if it is a Charlie but we'll see.

I wish CDC had taken his own advice after Urban said no but he probably had little say in the matter.