Texas BBQ

Washpark

13 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

When I want a single meat, it’s brisket. But that’s just me.

This.  It's also the only meat at a true BBQ joint worth the premium price, IMHO.*  The others are just add-ons or "nice to have" if they do them well.

I will say if I am in Cen-Tex area, the ring sausage tends to be my next meat.

At other places where the sausage is just so-so, I'll go with ribs.

*My favorite place in Amarillo does beef ribs on Saturday only.  That's just another discussion and a totally different meal, IMHO.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

This.  It's also the only meat at a true BBQ joint worth the premium price, IMHO.*  The others are just add-ons or "nice to have" if they do them well.

I will say if I am in Cen-Tex area, the ring sausage tends to be my next meat.

At other places where the sausage is just so-so, I'll go with ribs.

*My favorite place in Amarillo does beef ribs on Saturday only.  That's just another discussion and a totally different meal, IMHO.

I appreciate that.  

One of the reasons ribs have such a premium price at most Texas barbecue joints is due to the brisket.  Ribs, sausage, and sides are priced for high margins to make up for the tight brisket margins.  Maybe this rib centric place will have better prices since they don't have to compensate for brisket.  I would welcome a rib joint that had reasonable prices.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I appreciate that.  

One of the reasons ribs have such a premium price at most Texas barbecue joints is due to the brisket.  Ribs, sausage, and sides are priced for high margins to make up for the tight brisket margins.  Maybe this rib centric place will have better prices since they don't have to compensate for brisket.  I would welcome a rib joint that had reasonable prices.

I think you're at least near to right on. Not sure about rib mark-up across the entire spectrum of Texas BBQ, but a lot of these joint owners have said the sides and other non-brisket/beef-rib meats are what they make most of their money on.

21 minutes ago, dmtx said:

I hope they throw on a few beef ribs

I'd hope they wouldn't. I think that's a whole part of this experiment, seeing if keeping it simple and can still do it. Whether it's BBQ, craft beer, etc..., it's hard for these creative guys to just pick a solid lineup and roll with it. Always gotta change, rotate, add news things. Hard to blame them, but sometimes it becomes too much.

Just now, DallasSooner said:

One meat operation seems tough.  Toss some wings on the smoker!  Flash fry them in the fryers before serving.  You already got the fryers going for the fries. 

Rib Stop

i would be shocked if it's truly just 1 meat. really fascinated to see the full concept

ribs / fries / Mac and cheese, piece of cornbread 

This recent infatuation with Mac n cheese with barbecue is just wrong. Especially with fries. Yuck. Rich meat plus heavy rich sides.

Wasn’t that long ago the sides at a bbq stand was a rack of chips. Most refused fryers until recently. Vinegar slaw, beans, tater salad is all anyone needs.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

I think you're at least near to right on. Not sure about rib mark-up across the entire spectrum of Texas BBQ, but a lot of these joint owners have said the sides and other non-brisket/beef-rib meats are what they make most of their money on.

From a pure business standpoint most pit would drop brisket like a hot rock and sell sausage, chicken, and pork.

8 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

This recent infatuation with Mac n cheese with barbecue is just wrong. Especially with fries. Yuck. Rich meat plus heavy rich sides.

Wasn’t that long ago the sides at a bbq stand was a rack of chips. Most refused fryers until recently. Vinegar slaw, beans, tater salad is all anyone needs.

Go Away GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

From a pure business standpoint most pit would drop brisket like a hot rock and sell sausage, chicken, and pork.

A lot of them have said they don't think they can go any higher on the brisket prices. I remember a few years back Pinkerton's being at about $26-$28lb. Checked about a month back and they were at around $32. At the same time I checked a few years ago, I remember Smitty's was somewhere around $11-$14lb, they're now up to $26-$28 (EDIT: Just checked and they're at about $27. Pinkerton's at $30) I think. I wonder how much of Smitty's increase is actually brisket prices, or them trying to keep up, and buying more expensive brisket, feeling the pressure of dropping out of the top 50/Seguin getting all of that love etc...

Edited by UncleBuck

I don’t give a shit about sides typically, but I will the hell out of some elites from Butter’s and poblano Mac from Reese Bros.

If it’s not my mom’s potato salad, don’t want it.

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

A lot of them have said they don't think they can go any higher on the brisket prices. I remember a few years back Pinkerton's being at about $26-$28lb. Checked about a month back and they were at around $32. At the same time I checked a few years ago, I remember Smitty's was somewhere around $11-$14lb, they're now up to $26-$28 (EDIT: Just checked and they're at about $27. Pinkerton's at $30) I think. I wonder how much of Smitty's increase is actually brisket prices, or them trying to keep up, and buying more expensive brisket, feeling the pressure of dropping out of the top 50/Seguin getting all of that love etc...

i understand that prices are going up but not everyone is using prime brisket, which is what burns me about it. if you are out here using choice and charging for prime that's shitty to your customers and you will get my business exactly once.

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

i understand that prices are going up but not everyone is using prime brisket, which is what burns me about it. if you are out here using choice and charging for prime that's shitty to your customers and you will get my business exactly once.

Yah that's ass. My curiosity is if places like Smitty's were using choice, and doing just fine, but now seeing the lines down etc... they switched to prime from some specialty "farms" brand etc... 

Edited by UncleBuck

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Gonna respectfully disagree.

Tyler's does Mac & Cheese, Bacon Mac & Cheese, and Green Chile Mac & Cheese on Thursdays only.  The lines are always heavy on Thursdays, but I think it's a great call not to do  it all of the time.

Pro-tip- bread pudding counts as a side, and it is fucking glorious.

Also, sides don't make a shit if the BBQ product sucks.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I don't order sides. That's really where they get you. 4 or 5 bucks for a little thing of potato salad or beans. That shit adds up and just fills up space in your stomach that could have held more brisket and ribs. 

and you’re 100% wrong 

I just heated up a frozen serving of barbacoa dirty rice from burnt bean and it was damn delicious. 

If it was a full pitcher of Sharkleberry Fin, you did bad and should still feel bad.

That is/was my Pops’ favorite flavor. For a years that was what we drank for dinner. A few years back we almost bought some unopened packets for him off eBay just to have. Brazilian Ticos are weird. He is a Longhorn legend.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

So why is brisket such a poor profit driver?

Because if they marked the price up as you normally would for cost and production, the sticker price would be even more shocking than it already is. So they mark up the prices of everything else at a certain percentage higher than normal to cover it.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Does anyone here actually get to a legit bbq joint,  look at the menu, and then leave because of the price(s)?

wtf

No, but when you're paying by the lb, you might get less lbs, and/or maybe not go back (plus the price per pound is on the websites and social media, so maybe you don't go in the first place).

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NOMAAA said:

anybody been to goldees on a friday lately?  whats the line like if so.

thank you for your courage.

it's been a few months... and from what I've been reading/hearing.... if you are in line by 8:45a, you will be served by Noon. I got in line by 8:55, the line snaked to the Goldee's sign, I was ordering at 11:55.