Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 2/14/2023 at 4:10 PM, DallasSooner said:

Headed to Bartlett, TX from Dallas on Saturday.  Any recommendations around there for BBQ?  Taylor is 17 miles south but we will be hauling a livestock trailer and not sure they are gonna want to go down there and back after loading.  Anything else special in the area?  We very well might end up at LM, but just looking at othe options.  I know Miller in Belton and Guess/Helberg in Waco are on the way back.   Thoughts?

if you read this in time stop in Pustka Family BBQ in Temple, also heard some people say the G Wagon in Little River Academy is good 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Brisket 
ribs 
sausage 
non trinity bbq item (including tacos) 
sides
dessert (thoughts ?) 

Best total experience?

Out of the dozens and dozens of places I have eaten at in the past decade plus, I couldn’t tell you what the ribs, sides or desserts taste like at 90%of them.

We need huckleberry’s excel skills.

Or just "ambience".  
I mean, Smitty's isn't winning any tasting awards any time soon, but it's still an awesome building.  Same way a trip to the Salt Lick is great, except for the food.

I was thinking ambience would be part of it. Over all being quality of meal, how the staff treats you, etc etc. but maybe too nebulous?

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So how are we dividing the state? I am sure that will be the first disagreement.

I'm only familiar with central Texas BBQ.  In that context, I would think Lockhart should be in the same region with Austin.  But, that could just be the historical memory of having to drive to Lockhart to get good 'Q.  

So I'll shut up about that.  Even though I didn't.  Where's my beer?

I'm only familiar with central Texas BBQ.  In that context, I would think Lockhart should be in the same region with Austin.  But, that could just be the historical memory of having to drive to Lockhart to get good 'Q.  
So I'll shut up about that.  Even though I didn't.  Where's my beer?

I consider liking and Lockhart to be part of central texas bbq. For me, San Antonio is the start of south texas. In order to consolidate, I think The Valley and the coastal bend should be included in south Texas.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I consider liking and Lockhart to be part of central texas bbq. For me, San Antonio is the start of south texas. In order to consolidate, I think The Valley and the coastal bend should be included in south Texas.

God fucking damnit apple. Your autocorrect is ASS. Luling, fucking LULING you San Francisco dorks.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

[mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention] is Texas Q in Kingwood worth a shit? It was just featured on Texas Country Reporter. 
Yes, they said the pitmaster was female at least 45 times. 

Never heard of ‘em. Hell, I think I have been to kingwood like twice in my life and I was born and raised in Houston. I went to their site and their logo is a pig. That always makes me skeptical I’m texas. But maybe??

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

correct 

some places are pretty time and effort into sides and sometimes, dessert. It should be weighted 

41 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Never heard of ‘em. Hell, I think I have been to kingwood like twice in my life and I was born and raised in Houston. I went to their site and their logo is a pig. That always makes me skeptical I’m texas. But maybe??

east texas bbq was heavily influenced by freedmen.  so it's pork heavy in comparison and used to be identifiable by the fatty sausages that were common. centex bbq seems to have pushed it out. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

I order brisket and sausage every time. Be interesting to see the breakdown of proteins, I would think turkey is pretty damn high.

I’m brisket and ribs every time.  I don’t order sausage unless the place has a reputation for having outstanding sausage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I order brisket and sausage every time. Be interesting to see the breakdown of proteins, I would think turkey is pretty damn high.

Certain places I will venture outside my MO, but this 95% of the time. Next time I go to Brisket and Rice I will definitely be getting the brisket fried rice. But Brisket and Sausage is my forever go to and always my baseline when trying a new spot. Just like the jalapeño cheeseburger is my baseline for any burger joint.

So how are we dividing the state? I am sure that will be the first disagreement.

I was thinking something like this but a little more consolidation so that there are 7 regions. Top 5 from each region perhaps? All write ins.

1d8bda6e69e44d8f0ed1526eae6ad933.jpg

I can’t tell if Mexia is central or east Texas. If there’s a subcategory for chopped sandwich, I nominate chipped sandwich from wrights bbq.

+whatever on not really caring about sausage. To me it's just a filler.  I'll order it if the place specialize in some form of sausage, but it's never at the top of my list.

Brisket and pork spare ribs.

Also, chicken was an absolute staple at CenTex BBQ places until maybe 25 years ago, now it's harder to find.  But I do love some BBQ chicken from time to time.

Maybe I’m picky, but most places can’t do ribs that come close to what I can do at home, so it’s brisket+sausage for me 80% of the time.

Ambience is not a category that seems of particular import in this evaluation, especially as what most would consider “nice” in the traditional restaurant sense generally means the Q is ass.