Went to the LT vs Akins HS FB Game today

immamac

LT quarterback had 1 INT and the Akins QB had 2 arm punts for INT in the first quarter alone. 9 penalties, and Aiken's OL looked like the UT OL.

Is this the trash they do in HS now? I thought LT was supposed to be ELITE. I will say there were some big fucking boys on the LT team.

• immamac changed the title to Went to the LT vs Akins HS FB Game today
2 hours ago, immamac said:

LT quarterback had 1 INT and the Akins QB had 2 arm punts for INT in the first quarter alone. 9 penalties, and Aiken's OL looked like the UT OL.

Is this the trash they do in HS now? I thought LT was supposed to be ELITE. I will say there were some big fucking boys on the LT team.

LT isn’t winning or even going to the state title this year. Akins is having a decent year, but it’s still a poor school that struggles to get participation. LT probably played with the focus you’d expect a bunch of 16-18 year old kids to have when they’re up against a team they know is really inferior. Elite teams in this state that almost always play disciplined & smart are Westlake, Katy, North Shore, Aledo,  Highland Park. Maybe some lower classification teams I’m forgetting. Those programs are machines & routinely in the finals for a reason. Pretty much everyone else plays & executes like you’d expect a bunch of kids to, to varying degrees of success.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, USCATX said:

That was a bad quarter for LT but they put it together well before halftime.  This was my first Varsity game of the season and I wasn’t overly impressed.  

This was more my point. If this is what HS are pumping out no wonder people show up to Texas soft. 

24 minutes ago, immamac said:

This was more my point. If this is what HS are pumping out no wonder people show up to Texas soft. 

The most impressive thing I saw all year was the Marble Falls freshman team.  I’m not sure how they managed to teach those kids to tackle, but holy balls they hit hard and wrapped up.  

High school ball overall isnt what it used to be. Skill players are probably better than back in my day (particularly QB and WR) but everywhere else I've seen a drop off of toughness and killer instinct..particulary line (both O and D) and defense in general. Back when I was playing we hated the guys in the wrong uniform and wanted to dominate and humiliate on every play.

Maybe it's coaching, maybe it's rule changes that no longer allow "form tackles" and setting the tone in the defensive backfield with big hits early on, maybe it's kids are bigger, stronger and faster on average...but don't love playing the game like previous generations? Idk, but the overall quality of the game at all levels seems to have slipped a bit in the past decade or so. There are still some phenomenal athletes, some that can carry a sub par team quite a long way...but I'm not really seeing as many truly dominant teams these days.

4 hours ago, immamac said:

LT under Carter and Westlake under Dodge have been better coached than UT since 2009. Throw in South Lake under Dodge The Younger, Katy, Liberty Hill, (check them out-they’re amazing) and a few others and it has not even been close. As a Chaps fan, it’s been a decade of living in the Twilight Zone watching our team play with pride and smarts on Friday night and then watching the shit show on Saturday at DKR. I’m pretty much done with the Longhorns, which I suppose makes me a pussy. I half-watch the games but am no longer emotionally involved in the team. I like Surly much more than the Horns at this point and enjoy providing folks here with (hopefully) entertaining posts. I heart you @immamac, but that’s kind of a dumb post. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, immamac said:

I didn’t see a single open field tackle. All bunched up or shoestring. 

Well that’s extremely team-specific and always has been. Also stopping forward progress and holding up the ball carrier so your teammates can swarm and strip the ball is a defensive strategy some teams teach.

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

LT isn’t winning or even going to the state title this year. Akins is having a decent year, but it’s still a poor school that struggles to get participation. LT probably played with the focus you’d expect a bunch of 16-18 year old kids to have when they’re up against a team they know is really inferior. Elite teams in this state that almost always play disciplined & smart are Westlake, Katy, North Shore, Aledo,  Highland Park. Maybe some lower classification teams I’m forgetting. Those programs are machines & routinely in the finals for a reason. Pretty much everyone else plays & executes like you’d expect a bunch of kids to, to varying degrees of success.

Maybe, but Lake Travis is still really good.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, ousux said:

High school ball overall isnt what it used to be. Skill players are probably better than back in my day (particularly QB and WR) but everywhere else I've seen a drop off of toughness and killer instinct..particulary line (both O and D) and defense in general. Back when I was playing we hated the guys in the wrong uniform and wanted to dominate and humiliate on every play.

Maybe it's coaching, maybe it's rule changes that no longer allow "form tackles" and setting the tone in the defensive backfield with big hits early on, maybe it's kids are bigger, stronger and faster on average...but don't love playing the game like previous generations? Idk, but the overall quality of the game at all levels seems to have slipped a bit in the past decade or so. There are still some phenomenal athletes, some that can carry a sub par team quite a long way...but I'm not really seeing as many truly dominant teams these days.

it's a lot of things you said, plus we truly no longer breed a killer instinct destroy your opponent hate the man in the other uniform.  shake thier hand after the game, laugh and share stories but between the whistles youre the enemy.  Society as a whole has drifted away from competition, boomer comments but everyone is special soft upbringing in schools carries over it just does, but yeah the focus on skill huys with 7 on 7 and elite camps are producing men at the QB WR level  but its across all sports not just football 

i will say though some of the girls sports have gotten vicious so thats cool 

• Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, ousux said:

Said by every old guy ever.

• Hook 'Em 4

The LT of the last 2-3 years is nothing like the LT of the 2000's- 2010's.  They played some of the sharpest, most aggressive, and disciplined football in Texas High School history, and have six C's to show for it.  Westlake is now that team - until Dodge retires next year, then they'll be down again.

Not sure why LT's quality has gone down, except that for those years the school district was THE place to move in Texas, and kids came in at an unprecedented pace, and they simply out-talented everyone.  Now with the burbs getting farther out, newer teams like Vandergrift and even Drip are getting to that level, while LT has kind of settled down housing wise.  However most dynasties are cyclical anyway, and it's to be expected that after a 12 year absolutely kick-ass run, LT is just in a relative dearth.  Westlake of course was exactly like that until Dodge got there - 15 years of relative medoker between Neptune and Dodge.

Just what schools do...

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

it's a lot of things you said, plus we truly no longer breed a killer instinct destroy your opponent hate the man in the other uniform.  shake thier hand after the game, laugh and share stories but between the whistles youre the enemy.  Society as a whole has drifted away from competition, boomer comments but everyone is special soft upbringing in schools carries over it just does, but yeah the focus on skill huys with 7 on 7 and elite camps are producing men at the QB WR level  but its across all sports not just football 

I’m embarrassed for you for writing this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, ousux said:

al-bundy-polk-steelers1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

LT under Carter and Westlake under Dodge have been better coached than UT since 2009. Throw in South Lake under Dodge The Younger, Katy, Liberty Hill, (check them out-they’re amazing) and a few others and it has not even been close. As a Chaps fan, it’s been a decade of living in the Twilight Zone watching our team play with pride and smarts on Friday night and then watching the shit show on Saturday at DKR. I’m pretty much done with the Longhorns, which I suppose makes me a pussy. I half-watch the games but am no longer emotionally involved in the team. I like Surly much more than the Horns at this point and enjoy providing folks here with (hopefully) entertaining posts. I heart you @immamac, but that’s kind of a dumb post. 

Come on, if you had immamac's football acumen, you could go to one of the shittiest HS football matchups in the state and, despite having not seen another HS game in the past decade, make conclusions about the quality of HS football in Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

The LT of the last 2-3 years is nothing like the LT of the 2000's- 2010's.  They played some of the sharpest, most aggressive, and disciplined football in Texas High School history, and have six C's to show for it.  Westlake is now that team - until Dodge retires next year, then they'll be down again.

Not sure why LT's quality has gone down, except that for those years the school district was THE place to move in Texas, and kids came in at an unprecedented pace, and they simply out-talented everyone.  Now with the burbs getting farther out, newer teams like Vandergrift and even Drip are getting to that level, while LT has kind of settled down housing wise.  However most dynasties are cyclical anyway, and it's to be expected that after a 12 year absolutely kick-ass run, LT is just in a relative dearth.  Westlake of course was exactly like that until Dodge got there - 15 years of relative medoker between Neptune and Dodge.

Just what schools do...

11 years of relative meadoker between Schroeder and Dodge with a pair of state appearances.

Edited by HornsOverIthaca
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, ousux said:

Pure bullshit.

I go to 3 to 5 games a year, across a pretty good spectrum of small schools and big schools.  The only thing that has really changed is the concentration of some college prospects at the bigger suburban schools.

Fundamentally, it’s the same as it has been. I agree with what Henry James posted above. Your post just comes off as some old guy telling us how it used to be. And I’m 50…

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I’d love to see you at your prime and three or four of your tough guys go against the current Westlake offensive line. 

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I said LT. Westlake may be the real deal they are expected to blow LT out apparently 

I don’t think so. LT and Westlake bring out the very best in each other. Plus, Cade Klubnik has missed the last few games for the Chaps with an injury and may not play. It will be a hard-played game probably down to the fourth quarter. 

I don’t think so. LT and Westlake bring out the very best in each other. Plus, Cade Klubnik has missed the last few games for the Chaps with an injury and may not play. It will be a hard-played game probably down to the fourth quarter. 

I don’t see it. Seen both play a lot this year. WL rolls in this one. The entire OL is elite and LT won’t get near whatever QB they decide to put in
  • Hook 'Em 1

The only weakness I have seen teams exploit agains WL is the quick pass 2/3 step drop and pistol formations with RPOs.

Ahs actually did a pretty good job trying to exploit that last night. But WL DEs are like 6’6” so the passing window is narrow.

The offense has no weakness other than lacking a power runner. Both RBs and the z are more scatback types. But everything else is Elite. And the OL is absurd. They have a backup that is a top 10 junior.

4 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

The only weakness I have seen teams exploit agains WL is the quick pass 2/3 step drop and pistol formations with RPOs.

Ahs actually did a pretty good job trying to exploit that last night. But WL DEs are like 6’6” so the passing window is narrow.

The offense has no weakness other than lacking a power runner. Both RBs and the z are more scatback types. But everything else is Elite. And the OL is absurd. They have a backup that is a top 10 junior.

What about the corners?  Seems like Westlake hasn’t faced a QB yet that can test them.

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

well, he did go to lake travis and they suck so...

Yeah, kicking Westlake's ass 10 years in a row did get tiring.  WL should win Friday but enjoy it, you'll lose Dodge and it'll show.   Meanwhile, good luck getting to .400 in the "rivalry" this week.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

When you get right down to it, high school sports is generally useless in the grand scheme of life, education, and health, so who can blame anyone for not getting too wrapped up in it.  

I say this the dad of a couple of high school kids who has seen some petty shit from other teams and other team's parents.  

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Yeah, kicking Westlake's ass 10 years in a row did get tiring.  WL should win Friday but enjoy it, you'll lose Dodge and it'll show.   Meanwhile, good luck getting to .400 in the "rivalry" this week.

Maybe LT will have another Covid outbreak and have to cancel again. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Maybe LT will have another Covid outbreak and have to cancel again. 😏

They lied.  It was herpes.  Trust me on this.  

Edit:  WL should win, but I don't see any 55-7 or 70-3 or whatever bullshit. I give it maybe 14 max.  But if they do, well, yeah, I know how that feels, doing it to WL a few times in that 10 game no-lubing streak. 

Edited by phdhorn

6 hours ago, blacklab said:

I probably have an extra ticket to LT/WL next friday if you want to see a real HS team play

Still got an extra ticket? Been dying to go to a Westlake-Lake Travis game. Last one I was at, I was on the sidelines watching fuckface mayfield pick us apart after knocking out their starting qb on like the 2nd play of the game in 2011

• Hook 'Em 1