Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Super K on Campbell:

Reveal hidden contents

***As CJ noted, Texas made some nice early offers yesterday. One of those offers was to 2021 RB, Brandon Campbell (Pearland, TX).

Campbell already holds offers from schools like USC, Arkansas, Washington, Virginia Tech and now Texas.

After the visit, Brandon said, “This is amazing. God is good. I just am excited my hard work has got me to this point”.

I asked him there was a chance he may pull the trigger and commit in the very near future, as Texas is his dream school.

”There’s definitely a chance I pull the trigger early. I’m going to be thinking these next couple of days. Texas has always been my dream school and I feel like the situation is right with the running backs right now”.

He's an all-purpose type back right?

Super K on Campbell:

***As CJ noted, Texas made some nice early offers yesterday. One of those offers was to 2021 RB, Brandon Campbell (Pearland, TX).
Campbell already holds offers from schools like USC, Arkansas, Washington, Virginia Tech and now Texas.
After the visit, Brandon said, “This is amazing. God is good. I just am excited my hard work has got me to this point”.
I asked him there was a chance he may pull the trigger and commit in the very near future, as Texas is his dream school.
”There’s definitely a chance I pull the trigger early. I’m going to be thinking these next couple of days. Texas has always been my dream school and I feel like the situation is right with the running backs right now”.

Damn.

IT

By: Justin Wells

PRESTON STONE

The Parish Episcopal (TX) four-star quarterback made a return to Austin this weekend. The junior-to-be has long been a Longhorn lean and his family got an opportunity to spend quality with the staff. It wasn’t the first time the Stones have rolled through UT. But what was different about this trip?

“My parents got to spend time with and meet with a few of the coaches,” said Stone. “That was big for them.”

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound signal-caller has taken the recruiting process in stride. He’s a measured kid, who thinks before he speaks. His cool and calm demeanor is beneficial on and off the field.

What was a big takeaway from the weekend?

“Just a continued feeling of appreciation and interest from coach Herman and the rest of the staff,” said Stone.

What’s Stone’s timeline for a decision?

“I’m not sure,” Stone explained. “But I’m hoping to find the right fit for me as soon as I can.”

That fit might be in burnt orange. Stone won’t tip his hand; he realizes this is a business and wants to gather as much information as possible before he makes this huge decision.

By: Eric Nahlin

JALEN MILROE RECEIVES HIS OFFER

This was necessary for the staff to retain optionality at the quarterback position in 2021. We still hear the number is one for the class but Ja'Quinden Jackson's status at the position in the 2020 class is yet to be determined. Also, in the day and age of the portal, schools should try to keep the number fluctuating between 4-5 rather than 3-4. You need the balance between experience and youth to develop. The problem is, experience wants to play and youth isn't ready.

Milroe is a great talent, a good fit, and will do well to recruit for his school of choice. He also plays in an increasingly densely talented area of Houston and has the respect of kids I've talked to.

Preston Stone is still the most likely quarterback in the class from my vantage. While his fit may not be as clear for what we know of the Herman system, perhaps a couple years in the Big 12 have Herman wanting to throw the ball around and bit more.

Milroe isn't just a runner, though. He has a strong arm and is pretty accurate. His arm slot is improving. He's a hard worker. You'd like to see him a little more accurate on the move (Stone has an advantage for sure there) but mechanics can clean some of that up.

With Stone visiting this past weekend and then offering Milroe on Sunday, there are some justifiable questions as to which direction they plan on going. We don't have great answers for that as of yet. There are a lot of variables in play.

As far as Milroe's recruitment, Bama is a real threat. They aren't just going after Jalen, but also his teammate and defensive lineman Tunmise Adeleye. Packaged deals have a tendency to come to fruition when Bama is the destination school but the Texas offer was big for Milroe. He grew up a UT fan much like Pearland running back Brandon Campbell.

I think, but haven't confirmed, that Milroe will visit Austin this upcoming Saturday.

BRANDON CAMPBELL RECEIVES HIS OFFER

Campbell is at Pearland now but attended Katy Taylor previously. He had the reaction to receiving a Texas offer I haven't seen much of in the last half of the decade. It's his dream school despite UT not giving little kids much to dream about since 2010.

Texas has a great, substantive pitch for Campbell thanks to his versatility, "They said I fit the system and can make them more dynamic, take them to the next level. With the situation they're in, if they do everything right with Ingram and Whittington, they should be off to the league or on their way by the time I get there."

Coach Drayton had more positives for him, "He said he likes my long stride and how I can get in the open field. He said I have good quickness that needs to become great."

That quickness, along with other measurable traits are what introduced me to Campbell. At the Houston Opening Regional he posted the best SPARQ rating for a sophomore in the nation. On that day he was 5-10, 190 (currently 195), 4.58 40, 36.4 vertical, 4.07 shuttle, and 41.5 foot power ball toss. That heave is unheard of for a player that size. Having a father who is a physical therapist has its benefits as Campbell stays finely tuned year-round.

Along with UT, his best offers are Arkansas, Washington, and USC. If the numbers work, it's hard for me to see him at any other school. In fact, he and Derrick Harris Jr. have already been talking about Texas. Texas is Harris Jr.'s dream school as well.

DERRICK HARRIS JR. RECEIVES HIS OFFER

We've been mentioning Harris Jr. for quite some time. Not only has he been interested in Texas, but Todd Orlando did well to convey the feeling is mutual. They offered at the right time because he's very unlikely to go out-of-state and the Aggies recently offered. There was no need to let the Aggie's take a lead here.

The biggest question I've had about Harris Jr. was how the staff projects him. While he's a fine B-backer prospect and a take in most classes, I don't have him with the upside at the position of Clayton Smith. But with traditional linebackers so hard to find, and the understanding of how the position operates at Texas, I figured traditional linebacker might work for him. If Joe Ossai can play Rover, then Harris Jr. probably can as well.

Harris Jr.'s offer is indeed at "regular linebacker." He's going to have a no-nonsense, drama-free process but that doesn't mean he's going to rush the decision. "No more visits planned and just thinking about if I want to come out of school early so probably around beginning of football season next year I will have something in place," he said of his timeline.

While I don't want to dispute his own words, I'd be surprised if he waited that long. That said, with Texas they certainly won't pressure him so maybe he will take his time.

How Texas approaches recruiting must be accounted for when projecting who will and won't end up in a class. I think they sort of grit their teeth while extending "early offers." Unfortunately for the staff, offer timing is forced by carpet bombing schools and every player's timeline is different.

Offer timing gave them a chance with Milroe, made them a favorite for Campbell, and put them right on time for Harris Jr.

TEXAS OFFERS JAEDON ROBERTS, WILL EVALUATE MATTHEW ROBERTS FURTHER

The brothers are recent move-ins from Kansas who won a state championship at St. Thomas Aquinas in Overland Park, but will now help the Mustangs defend their title.

Jaedon is a 2021 mauling guard prospect. The kind you don't want to be in front of. He has the quickness to use angles but can also just run you over. Matthew is a 2020 edge rusher who will likely play off-the-ball linebacker in college.

Jaedon is the more higher profile of the two and was offered by Texas this weekend. The historically loaded 2021 offensive line class just got four-stars better. He's a great option for Texas in the class, but he won't come without a difficult fight. The interview was going great until he mentioned his dream school was LSU. North Shore kid + LSU dream school = Cajun country. NS coaches don't push kids to LSU, but if they need a ride to visit it won't be hard to find one.

He did say the biggest thing is he wants to play with his brother. The Texas coaches put Matthew through a bunch of drills in space. He's used to playing downhill and off the edge so it's a different type of muscle memory dropping into coverage. He says he thinks he did well and the staff said they're going to take a closer look at him.

Matthew was offered by A&M recently and that vaulted the Aggies into the lead.

He'll be interesting to watch. He measured in at 6-foot-1, 208 pounds which is close to what Josh White was a few months ago. With him being a 2020, and his brother saying "we've always played together, we're inseparable" I think it's only a matter of time before he sees his offers spike.

Edited by Machinator

Jalen Milroe came to Texas and earned an offer. The four-star 2021 quarterback from Katy Tompkins has been one of the biggest risers in Texas over the spring. Milroe had a great time during his Texas visit, and he feels that his relationship with Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck is strong at this point.

“It went great,” he said. “I love learning things and hearing about different programs, so I enjoyed my time there. I liked the relationship I’ve built with Coach Beck. I hope to grow with the relationship with the coaches.”

When Milroe was offered, he was very happy. As a lifetime Longhorn fan, Milroe said the offer was one he always wanted.

“The offer means a lot,” he said. “I have watched Texas ever since I was in youth ball. I always threw up the hook ‘em sign to my parents because I loved the program. I have family members who went to Texas, and I grew up in Texas so I have that Texas background in my family.”

Relationships are important to Milroe at the next level. He said he loved seeing Beck’s coaching style at work, and he feels that the Texas assistant is really looking out for him.

“For me, I’m looking for the best relationship between me and my quarterback coach,” he said. “He looks for the best interest for me, and I like his coaching style.”

Milroe went to a few college campuses during the spring, and he thinks he could be close to a decision. Despite having just offered, Milroe has the Longhorns high on his list.

“Texas is high on my list,” he said. “I’m looking to make my decision either before the season or during the season.”

At 6-foot-3, 194 pounds, Milroe is ranked as the No. 3 dual-threat quarterback in the nation and No. 14 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports.

Preston is about to have his spot taken.

Edited by cdain3

17 hours ago, Machinator said:

2021 QB Jalen Milroe told OrangeBloods there's a good chance he'll be in Austin again next weekend for the pool party.

His teammate, 2021 DE Tunmise Adeleye, will be there. 

So, is Milroe going to pull a Roshon Johnson and grab the mic at the pool party and announce his commitment?

16 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Jalen Milroe told Mike Roach that he’d like to make a decision before or during this season, if he comes back this weekend we could see him pop before Stone gets a chance. @closetojumping would be happier than a puppy with 2 peckers I’d imagine. 

Does Stone have small hands too? I know CJT likes a young man with large hands.

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Does Stone have small hands too? I know CJT likes a young man with large hands.

His hands aren't the problem, CTJ thinks the kid is a douche that's an all star playing against the lowest competition... or something like that

13 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

His hands aren't the problem, CTJ thinks the kid is a douche that's an all star playing against the lowest competition... or something like that

While I don't think CTJ is high on Stone, I love the fact that you just confused him with Futureman. That is fucking delicious. 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

When was the last time a white 6-2ish kinda mobile but very accurate QB from the Northern part of Texas was any good for UT? 

I have family from that part of the state.  And none consider it the northern part of Texas.  It’s west Texas.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I have family from that part of the state.  And none consider it the northern part of Texas.  It’s west Texas.  

It falls in Abilene’s sphere of influence.  Thus, West Texas. You are correct, sir. 

2 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Does Stone have small hands too? I know CTJ likes a young man with hands large enough to put the ball where he wants it on a dime in the sport of college football.

FIFY.

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

While I don't think CTJ is high on Stone, I love the fact that you just confused him with Futureman. That is fucking delicious. 

Unfortunately, SydneyCarton has it straight. futureman is the person with an irrational hatred for the Stoner Boner, mostly because he ran screaming from competition at Highland Park and chose to hide out in a low competition private school while beating his chest over his accomplishments. 

My issues are two-fold:

1) The only alleged difference between the Stone recruitment and that of Garrett Gilbert's is that, unlike Gale Gilbert, no one is in imminent danger of being a serial rape victim by being in the vicinity of Stone's father. Well, perhaps a college football depth chart. But nothing human. It's not coincidental that the family comes to town for a private meeting this weekend and then Herman comes out shortly thereafter with an offer to Milroe. There's some brinkmanship happening here in some manner. 

2) Preston Stone isn't a great physical fit for what Herman asks of his QBs, but it's still early and he could thicken up, I guess.

• Like 3