Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

On 8/15/2019 at 10:18 AM, Goodman said:

I didn't realize that Jordon was on team Ro, aggie is now his leader...

I'm from PA and watch Memorial a lot and this kid really stood out to me. Their DL last season was nasty and Thomas seemed to always find himself in the backfield disrupting shit. OTs have problems stopping his speed rush and he's good against the run too. 

Since it's SE Texas I assumed LSU would be the main contender for us, didn't know Aggy was in the mix too. Would love to see him in burnt orange. 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Re: Foster

I started the Winston comparison. It’s important to know that we’re a long way off and a mom is different than a stepdad. I like Texas here. It would have happened a month ago if redass didn’t play a role though. 

Sounds like we need a visit with mom to Austin to make her feel more comfortable that it’s the spot for him. 

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Re: Foster

I started the Winston comparison. It’s important to know that we’re a long way off and a mom is different than a stepdad. I like Texas here. It would have happened a month ago if redass didn’t play a role though. 

If all of Bryce Foster's buddies commit to Texas and Texas continues to win, I'm hoping mother comes around on her son's happiness redass and all.

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder if mom is one of those ags hat hates Texas despite never knowing much about it other than what she learned in fish camp and from aggy family, and a visit to campus as a mom to a future college student might open her eyes a little. 

eh, if that’s how she is I can respect it.  I sure as shit wouldn’t let my kid go fuck sheep for four years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

New Rivals top 10 for 2021:

Hide contents

1. Korey Foreman

2. Brock Vandagriff - OU

3. JT Tuimoloau

4. Jack Sawyer - tOSU

5. Tommy Brockermeyer

6. Amarius Mims

7. Camar Wheaton

8. James Williams

9. Corey Collier

10. Savion Byrd

3/10 ain't bad

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Should be, and I would be absolutely thrilled with that move.

Kind of reminds me of having to promote Jai Lucas to an assistant role, and it's a lot easier to justify 1/10 spots being used for a young deeply connected recruiter than 1/3. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Kind of reminds me of having to promote Jai Lucas to an assistant role, and it's a lot easier to justify 1/10 spots being used for a young deeply connected recruiter than 1/3. 

Especially when you have 2 WR coaches already. Samples is a known culture/alignment fit, he’s already proven he’s an elite recruiter, so the only question would be his experience/ability to coach the position. I doubt he’d struggle to coach his position at all, but even if Herman has doubts, Samples would still have one of Mehringer/Meekins to help coach and he’s just as experienced as Herman’s boy Mehringer was when he started coaching WRs at UH.

Getting him back in the fold after the season seems like it would make too much sense not to happen, unless there was an issue that hasn’t been reported or Herman really is just that tight with his UH guys that he can’t bring himself to remove one of them even though they would have had 3 full seasons to prove their worth to other schools/advance in their career.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Especially when you have 2 WR coaches already. Samples is a known culture/alignment fit, he’s already proven he’s an elite recruiter, so the only question would be his experience/ability to coach the position. I doubt he’d struggle to coach his position at all, but even if Herman has doubts, Samples would still have one of Mehringer/Meekins to help coach and he’s just as experienced as Herman’s boy Mehringer was when he started coaching WRs at UH.

Getting him back in the fold after the season seems like it would make too much sense not to happen, unless there was an issue that hasn’t been reported or Herman really is just that tight with his UH guys that he can’t bring himself to remove one of them even though they would have had 3 full seasons to prove their worth to other schools/advance in their career.

As one of my friends said, it makes too much sense for it to happen 

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

How much influence does Meekins have in Houston hs coaching circles? Meh is Herman's little wunderkind project (see TXHSFBCAC), so I would be curious which he would decide to let go if one of them does get the boot

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don't agree with this. I would much prefer to have 1 wr coach and 2 DL coaches. Samples as the wr coach is a risk. One recruit is not worth that risk so I would only make that switch if we are confident Samples would be the best man for the job over all other candidates.

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

We’re not getting 3/10 unless Samples comes back to UT with ample time to recruit before Wheaton signs. 

I think you’re looking way too much into the Samples loss with that recruitment. Did it have an impact? Yes, but sounds like that recruitment is going to be wild regardless of what happened with Samples. Similar to Evans. 

I don't agree with this. I would much prefer to have 1 wr coach and 2 DL coaches. Samples as the wr coach is a risk. One recruit is not worth that risk so I would only make that switch if we are confident Samples would be the best man for the job over all other candidates.

I would can both meh and meek, hire beatty as as actual WR coach , then let samples help the other coaches recruit while he gains experience

Sent from my SM-A600T1 using Tapatalk

I think you’re looking way too much into the Samples loss with that recruitment. Did it have an impact? Yes, but sounds like that recruitment is going to be wild regardless of what happened with Samples. Similar to Evans. 

That’s not the feeling I get. While the recruitment may be wild, he’s not the person Evans is by a mile. Evans feels more like Terrell Pryor

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

That’s not the feeling I get. While the recruitment may be wild, he’s not the person Evans is by a mile. Evans feels more like Terrell Pryor

Several sites have already mentioned there are some odd things in play and there's apparently an uncle/adviser type involved. Is it the level of Evans? Probably not but based on the background information that's going to be a wild recruitment. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed