Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Horns 247 / Nick Harris / Terrence Cooks takes a look into his top schools before decision

Spoiler

Terrence Cooks takes a look into his top schools before decision

NickHarris

One of the lengthiest recruitments still left on the 2021 board for Texas could be coming to a decision in the next month.

Coveted Shadow Creek linebacker Terrence Cooks named a top six in July that included Texas, Baylor, Georgia, Washington, Texas A&M and Washington, and while Texas remains a consistent top choice, a new school may be working its way to the top.

"LSU entered the race so there's more to think about," Cooks said. "You get down to everything and think you're almost done and then another school comes in and throws off the balance and you're back to square one. I just can't rush the decision."

Communication between Cooks and Texas remains strong though as linebackers coach Coleman Hutzler has made Cooks the priority at linebacker since he took the job in January.

"We talk a lot, I talk to Coach Hutzler a lot," he said. "It's been going good. I think we're gonna set up another defensive coordinator meeting to talk, but it's crunch time now so you know I'm trying to analyze my options to see which one is the best one."

Joining Texas and LSU near the top is Baylor, as former LSU defensive coordinator and Baylor head coach Dave Aranda has been able to pitch a similar defensive scheme that LSU has had in recent years. His top six has most likely been cut in half as the three schools have taken priority in his recruitment.

"Texas, Baylor, and LSU are probably my top three right now," he said. "I got so many schools that have offered that could do things for me but LSU puts out linebackers, Baylor has Coach [Dave] Aranda who was at LSU and then Texas has Coach Hutzler."

Cooks plans to follow through on his initial timeline and should be making a decision at some point in the next month. He is looking forward to the day so he can put the recruitment process to bed ahead of his senior season.

"Probably early October after I go see Baylor," Cooks said. "I don't mean to sound unappreciative but it's all tiring."

At 6-foot-2, 210 pounds, Cooks is the No 428 ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2021, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 25 outside linebacker in the country and the No. 63 ranked recruit in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, squeegeedegg said:

DGF feels like one of the biggest losses we've had in a while.  Doesn't help Todd spent his time daydreaming of Justin Flowe and Savell Smalls while ignoring any LB with the surname of White

If Floyd was able to able to play I have zero doubts that he would would be a top 5 player on the current roster

• Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, squeegeedegg said:

DGF feels like one of the biggest losses we've had in a while.  Doesn't help Todd spent his time daydreaming of Justin Flowe and Savell Smalls while ignoring any LB with the surname of White

yeah but if we’d have gotten flowe and smalls we’d be so stacked. 

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Jacoby Jackson talks Texas offer, top schools and timeline

Spoiler

Jacoby Jackson talks Texas offer, top schools and timeline

MikeRoach

Jacoby Jackson has been picking up some attention after going back on the market.

The three-star offensive tackle from Mansfield Summit was previously committed to TCU, but he de-committed at the end of August. Texas offered over the weekend, and Jackson said he was excited for the opportunity to play for the Longhorns.

“It’s very exciting,” Jackson said. “I feel great about it.”

For Jackson, the history and tradition of Texas is what stands out about the Longhorns. Though he’s a TCU legacy, he grew up in the state watching the Longhorns on the field each week.

“Definitely the tradition,” he said. “It’s just everything about the history of the program.”

Jackson and Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand have been talking for a few years. Jackson said he like Hand’s personality and he feels he could help him reach the NFL.

“I’ve been talking to him since I was a sophomore,” Jackson said. “I like his personality and the way he coaches. He’s got a history of him helping guys get to the NFL.”

“Baylor, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State are the other schools standing out to me,” he said.

Jackson doesn’t have a new timeline for his commitment set in stone. When asked, he said he hopes to have the decision made early in the fall.

“I’m not sure yet,” he said. “Hopefully within the next one to two months.”

At 6-foot-6, 320 pounds, Jackson is ranked as the No. 92 offensive tackle in the nation and No. 163 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 3

Fascinating story. Kid gets railroaded by CP police and sits in prison until his conviction is overturned. Enrolls at Texas, tries to walk-on and get's the cold COVID shoulder. Good luck to him, unfortunate we couldn't take him.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-wrongly-convicted-Greg-Kelley-transfer-portal-151239412/

Chip wrote it, so don't click

Wrongly convicted former Leander safety Greg Kelley, whose story has been featured in the Showtime documentary "Outcry," is in the NCAA transfer portal in hopes of getting a chance to play college football more than six years after losing a scholarship opportunity at UTSA by being falsely imprisoned.

Kelley, 25, who has been a student at Texas since January, went through a walk-on tryout with the Longhorns in February. Despite performing well, according to sources who said Kelley ran a 4.6 40, Texas didn't add any walk-ons from the tryout because its roster was full. Texas has since decided not to add any walk-ons due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Kelley's name appeared in the NCAA transfer portal Wednesday morning.

Kelley, who is 6-foot-1 and 218 pounds, told Horns247 on Wednesday he's getting serious interest from an FBS school and might know something by the end of the week about a possible scholarship opportunity.

"It would mean the absolute world for me to have football in my life again," Kelley told Horns247. "It's not the biggest part of my life, but it's an important part and an itch I feel still needs to be scratched. I'm 25 and still young enough to compete and dish out and take the blows. I just want to get out there and play my heart out.

"Texas was my dream school growing up. That's why I worked so hard to get enrolled here. I'd be giving up a lot by leaving Texas. But I just want to get back on the field and play the game I love for a school that wants to give me a chance."

As a junior at Leander High School, Kelley was offered a scholarship to UTSA by Neal Neathery, the Roadrunners' defensive coordinator on the staff of then-head coach Larry Coker.

But then Kelley's world went completely off the rails.

Kelley had spent time living in the home of a family that also used the home as a daycare business in 2013. Kelley was accused by a 4-year-old boy of sexually molesting him, even though some of the boy’s testimony pointed to another person living in the house - Johnathan McCarty - who was a couple years younger than Kelley but had a striking resemblance to Kelley.

Kelley’s own attorney, Patricia Cummings, ignored the evidence pointing to McCarty, as did Cedar Park police detective Chris Dailey, and Kelley was convicted and sentenced to 25 years in prison with no parole.

The efforts of activist Jake Braydon and the legal work of defense lawyer Keith Hampton, who discovered Cummings had represented Johnathan McCarty in previous other criminal matters and should have recused herself from representing Kelley, convinced the Court of Criminal Appeals to overturn Kelley’s conviction and declare him innocent of the crime.

The story is told in great detail in Outcry, which was released on July 9 and resulted in the resignation of Dailey from the Cedar Park police department, as well as the resignation of former Cedar Park police chief Sean Mannix, who was set to become the police chief in Burnet in late July but never took office.

Kelley is now suing the City of Cedar Park, Mannix and Dailey for an “incompetent, bad-faith and fundamentally flawed investigation.”

Kelley has also started his own business - Tomahawk Targets (@tomahawktargets on Instagram) - making standing axe targets and cornhole boards with the wood-working skills he learned in prison.

After getting out of prison in 2017, a friend of Kelley's convinced former Longhorns' running back Jeremy Hills, who is now an elite performance coach to NFL players such as Earl Thomas, Kenny Vaccaro and Jalen Ramsey, to train Kelley.

“I said it in the documentary,” Hills said. “If GK could get through all the things he had to get through - getting cleared and then getting into the University of Texas - I’d bet everything on him to do what it takes to earn the right to put on that Texas jersey. I played at Texas, and athletically, GK fits in as a scholarship player - not just a walk-on."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Fascinating story. Kid gets railroaded by CP police and sits in prison until his conviction is overturned. Enrolls at Texas, tries to walk-on and get's the cold COVID shoulder. Good luck to him, unfortunate we couldn't take him.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-wrongly-convicted-Greg-Kelley-transfer-portal-151239412/

Yeah, I was really hoping he'd get a spot.  COVID probably screwed him out of that chance

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby Burton: Wednesday

In the Alamo Bowl, Texas trotted out Cort Jacquess, a former walk-on, as its starting middle linebacker. Jacquess performed admirably, particularly against the run in the Horns decisive upset win over Utah. Fast forward eight months and now another walk-on linebacker is making his name. Jett Bush, a sophomore from Strake Jesuit in Houston, was put on scholarship this week, and he’s on the depth chart behind none other than All-American candidate Joe Ossai.

Bush was originally committed to New Mexico State until late January of 2019. But after further consideration, he ultimately de-committed and opted instead to enroll and walk-on at Texas. Congrats to Bush for his scholarship and hard-earned success. Here’s video of Bush as a high school senior to wet your whistle: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7121778/5b9d30f93deae70a84a89082

I have mentioned multiple times my affinity for the thoroughness of the Texas player personnel department. The department encompasses plain, old-fashioned recruiting, like the blue chips we all know about. Yet it also includes grad transfers and preferred walk-ons. It’s easy to recognize just how much impact grad transfers have had on the program in recent years. But now walk-ons are making their mark, too.

For decades, walk ons of any consequence at Texas were few and far between. And they were almost always kickers. Mack Brown had a sprinkling of success with a couple of special teams players but not much else. Unlike regular recruiting or grad transfers, a successful walk-on program takes years to bear fruit. First, it’s not always easy selling the idea for a player to pay their way to earn a scholarship. And then it’s not any easier finding players who can academically get in to Texas.

But that’s where we’re at today. The Texas walk-on program is thriving. The roots of the program’s recent success goes back years. I’ll never forget a conversation I had with Bob Shipley during his first tenure at Texas under Mack Brown. Shipley, who had been to many Texas games watching his sons play for the Horns, told me he was always struck by the size and ability difference of the Texas walk ons compared to those of other teams. Texas was lacking in his estimation and he thought he could improve it.

He said he felt like in a state like Texas, where football is king, there had to be some real players out there who would be attracted to Texas and who could simply improve the roster. While Shipley left Texas for a while to go back to high school coaching, the walk-on program he started never really got on track. But when Shipley returned to Texas under Tom Herman, he got the support he needed and he went to work.

Part of the problem was a lack of resources put toward the process of finding the players. The regular assistants were more focused on recruiting the scholarship players. But Shipley, and staff members like John Michael Jones, who is credited with unearthing Bush, had the wherewithal and long-term plan to produce a better walk-on program. And it has worked. My hats off to that part of the personnel department for their success as well.

Will Texas be the next Nebraska in its heyday as it relates to a walk-on program? No, of course not. Nebraska high schoolers were never picked over with a fine tooth comb like ones from Texas. But clearly there is value to be found. And Texas is doing just that.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

well this fascinating story just came out of nowhere.  that’s just so terrible.  has anyone else heard about this?

Bobby Burton: Wednesday
In the Alamo Bowl, Texas trotted out Cort Jacquess, a former walk-on, as its starting middle linebacker. Jacquess performed admirably, particularly against the run in the Horns decisive upset win over Utah. Fast forward eight months and now another walk-on linebacker is making his name. Jett Bush, a sophomore from Strake Jesuit in Houston, was put on scholarship this week, and he’s on the depth chart behind none other than All-American candidate Joe Ossai.
Bush was originally committed to New Mexico State until late January of 2019. But after further consideration, he ultimately de-committed and opted instead to enroll and walk-on at Texas. Congrats to Bush for his scholarship and hard-earned success. Here’s video of Bush as a high school senior to wet your whistle: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7121778/5b9d30f93deae70a84a89082
I have mentioned multiple times my affinity for the thoroughness of the Texas player personnel department. The department encompasses plain, old-fashioned recruiting, like the blue chips we all know about. Yet it also includes grad transfers and preferred walk-ons. It’s easy to recognize just how much impact grad transfers have had on the program in recent years. But now walk-ons are making their mark, too.
For decades, walk ons of any consequence at Texas were few and far between. And they were almost always kickers. Mack Brown had a sprinkling of success with a couple of special teams players but not much else. Unlike regular recruiting or grad transfers, a successful walk-on program takes years to bear fruit. First, it’s not always easy selling the idea for a player to pay their way to earn a scholarship. And then it’s not any easier finding players who can academically get in to Texas.
But that’s where we’re at today. The Texas walk-on program is thriving. The roots of the program’s recent success goes back years. I’ll never forget a conversation I had with Bob Shipley during his first tenure at Texas under Mack Brown. Shipley, who had been to many Texas games watching his sons play for the Horns, told me he was always struck by the size and ability difference of the Texas walk ons compared to those of other teams. Texas was lacking in his estimation and he thought he could improve it.
He said he felt like in a state like Texas, where football is king, there had to be some real players out there who would be attracted to Texas and who could simply improve the roster. While Shipley left Texas for a while to go back to high school coaching, the walk-on program he started never really got on track. But when Shipley returned to Texas under Tom Herman, he got the support he needed and he went to work.
Part of the problem was a lack of resources put toward the process of finding the players. The regular assistants were more focused on recruiting the scholarship players. But Shipley, and staff members like John Michael Jones, who is credited with unearthing Bush, had the wherewithal and long-term plan to produce a better walk-on program. And it has worked. My hats off to that part of the personnel department for their success as well.
Will Texas be the next Nebraska in its heyday as it relates to a walk-on program? No, of course not. Nebraska high schoolers were never picked over with a fine tooth comb like ones from Texas. But clearly there is value to be found. And Texas is doing just that.

Gc posted about this recently, pre Jett Bush and it’s a great observation. If/when Herman is told to kick sand, the personnel department will probably be the hardest component of his regime to replicate.

Side note: IT said Bush is at Jack because they wanted him to see the field instead of languishbin the bench at MLB.

Knowing what we know about depth there, that says a lot about what they think about depth at Jack.

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

well this fascinating story just came out of nowhere.  that’s just so terrible.  has anyone else heard about this?

Never until now. Holy shit. His defense attorney had represented one of the other prime suspects, one who the evidenced pointed to more than Kelley, but the defense attorney ignores possibly  due to what appears to be a prior defense attorney client relationship. The police ignore all other evidence to the contrary. Dude got fucked every step of the way.

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Gc posted about this recently, pre Jett Bush and it’s a great observation. If/when Herman is told to kick sand, the personnel department will probably be the hardest component of his regime to replicate.

Side note: IT said Bush is at Jack because they wanted him to see the field instead of languishbin the bench at MLB.

Knowing what we know about depth there, that says a lot about what they think about depth at Jack.

Byron Vaughns needs to get his shit together with a quickness.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Never until now. Holy shit. His defense attorney had represented one of the other prime suspects, one who the evidenced pointed to more than Kelley, but the defense attorney ignores possibly  due to what appears to be a prior defense attorney client relationship. The police ignore all other evidence to the contrary. Dude got fucked every step of the way.

Here’s a few hours’ worth of reading for you.

10 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Go watch Outcry on Showtime. The whole thing is so fucked