Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

A lot of this is (obviously) on Tom, but if you don't think the months of "oh he's definitely getting fired" followed by a press release that was basically "he'll still be an employee on January 1st. Maybe. We kind of hate him." had a badly negative effect down the homestretch, I don't know what to tell you.

Look at South Carolina's or Auburn's recruiting classes for the "fire Herman now!!!" without a replacement lined up crowd.

• Hook 'Em 3

45 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

This is a class full of JAGs and development projects (with a staff that has proven they cannot develop and a S&C team that seems to prep soft tissue injuries) and one or two studs.

Just a hot mess.

The defensive side is pretty good. The offensive side is pretty bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

This is a class full of JAGs and development projects (with a staff that has proven they cannot develop and a S&C team that seems to prep soft tissue injuries) and one or two studs.

Just a hot mess.

Could have been worse. Under the circumstances I am really relieved how it went.

Next year though looks really bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Look at South Carolina's or Auburn's recruiting classes for the "fire Herman now!!!" without a replacement lined up crowd.

I fully agree - I'm just saying the admin has put him in a no-win situation on top of his demonstrated coaching failures, so it's pretty much a transition class in spirit.

They needed a plan B already lined up.

Edited by texifornia

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Definitely not deep enough on offensive side, but I do think Conner, Alexis, Davis, and Brooks are solid evals.    We really struck out at QB and OT.  

I actually think Wright was a pretty good eval, especially for Yurcich's offense. I get that he's lowly rated, but he looked a lot better than I expected when I watched some clips. Given the timing of Milroe's decommitment, I think he's a reasonable take...but OL recruiting was a fucking dumpster fire this year other than Conner.

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I fully agree - I'm just saying the admin has put him in a no-win situation on top of his demonstrated coaching failures, so it's pretty much a transition class in spirit.

They needed a plan B already lined up.

I don't think they could have had a Plan B lined up unless it was someone who was in a situation like Urban (either retired or an analyst).  I think they had plenty of communication with other coach's agents  and had names they were investigating - but until Herman is fired there isn't going to be the opportunity to really interview/announce anyone.

It seems like the coaches we have as our Plan B have made it known that they won't be making any decisions or announcements until after Conference title games or maybe playoff games.

Even Herman wasn't already 'locked up' before Strong was fired despite the fact that Strong was obviously gone and Herman was obviously the top coach on the market.

33 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The defensive side is pretty good. The offensive side is pretty bad.

IMO, the offensive side is easier to fix(sans OL which is why Herman needs to be fired and just like Mack and Charlie needed to be fired) than defense. with the rules of the game being tilted to offense for decades the D has to have higher skill.

23 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

With the portal and the free transfer coming up recruiting may not be as vital this year as years past. We can still lose some of these guys and get other guys in before the season starts, especially if we do end up replacing Tom Herman.

players will be lining up to play for Urban.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

IMO, the offensive side is easier to fix(sans OL which is why Herman needs to be fired and just like Mack and Charlie needed to be fired) than defense. with the rules of the game being tilted to offense for decades the D has to have higher skill.

And it seems every backup QB will want to transfer out if they have NFL ambitions.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

With the portal and the free transfer coming up recruiting may not be as vital this year as years past. We can still lose some of these guys and get other guys in before the season starts, especially if we do end up replacing Tom Herman.

Tom has shown he can sell transfers on playing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Could have been worse. Under the circumstances I am really relieved how it went.

Next year though looks really bad.

If you get the right head corch in position, this might not be a bad situation if one takes into account relaxation of scholarship term limits and transfers because of the pandemic. Texas needs a hot name hire in the worst way.

EDIT: Fuck me, I suck at posting today. You already posted this above.

Edited by UDontKnow

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

If you get the right head corch in position, this might not be a bad situation if one takes into account relaxation of scholarship term limits and transfers because of the pandemic. Texas needs a hot name hire in the worst way.

Dumbass GIFs | Tenor

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Haha 3

Watched a little coverage on LHN and Herman said (paraphrasing) that he is happy with the class given that the pandemic limiting visits and having a bunch of new coaches who didn't have time to bond with the recruits really hurt.  Well if you would have gotten rid of your horrible coaches a year earlier like most people wanted (or better yet never brought some of them with him in the first place), maybe we wouldn't have had that issue. 

And he kept Hand.... so what's the excuse for missing on all of these Offensive Linemen (legacy studs, highly rated longhorn leans, and multiple plan B and C guys that we couldn't close on) this cycle?  I've never heard someone use so many excuses in all my life.  If he could admit to failing on anything, even the smallest thing, then that'd be a start and give me the slightest glimmer of  hope.  But he is just too stubborn.  And ultimately that will be his downfall.

Also found it interesting that on multiple occasions Lowell Galindo talked about next year how the team would have a new look with Card as the QB.  Like he had already written off Thompson.  Maybe he's right.  But just found that odd.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Watched a little coverage on LHN and Herman said (paraphrasing) that he is happy with the class given that the pandemic limiting visits and having a bunch of new coaches who didn't have time to bond with the recruits really hurt.  Well if you would have gotten rid of your horrible coaches a year earlier like most people wanted (or better yet never brought some of them with him in the first place), maybe we wouldn't have had that issue. 

And he kept Hand.... so what's the excuse for missing on all of these Offensive Linemen (legacy studs, highly rated longhorn leans, and multiple plan B and C guys that we couldn't close on) this cycle?  I've never heard someone use so many excuses in all my life.  If he could admit to failing on anything, even the smallest thing, then that'd be a start and give me the slightest glimmer of  hope.  But he is just too stubborn.  And ultimately that will be his downfall.

Also found it interesting that on multiple occasions Lowell Galindo talked about next year how the team would have a new look with Card as the QB.  Like he had already written off Thompson.  Maybe he's right.  But just found that odd.  

Thompson has shown me nothing that would give me hope of not taking a step backwards in our offense next year with him at the helm, but I am willing to wait and see what he looks like with real reps. 

3 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Yeah, everyone has penciled in Card as the starter. If it actually happens, Thompson will probably enter the transfer portal. That QB room is on the verge of being a disaster.

36 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Yeah, everyone has penciled in Card as the starter. If it actually happens, Thompson will probably enter the transfer portal. That QB room is on the verge of being a disaster.

it should terrify anyone and everyone

if Card wins the starters job in the spring, Thompson is going to portal to literally anywhere else, leaving Texas with True Freshman Charles Wright + Card as the only scholarship QBs on the roster

betting we see Texas bring in someone random as a grad transfer as a QB for next year almost no matter what.

53 minutes ago, NoName said:

it should terrify anyone and everyone

if Card wins the starters job in the spring, Thompson is going to portal to literally anywhere else, leaving Texas with True Freshman Charles Wright + Card as the only scholarship QBs on the roster

betting we see Texas bring in someone random as a grad transfer as a QB for next year almost no matter what.

Oh god this is how we end up with Charlie Brewer isnt it

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Ultimate Failure said:

OL recruiting disaster ⇒ overall recruiting disaster

You could line up Joe Montana back there, and it wouldn't matter.  If your OL sucks, your team sucks.

We will get worse before we get better.

Of course we’d suck with Joe Montana at QB. He’s fucking old, and he’d probably try to play in his Sketcher’s Shape Ups. 

bc865d9fbfe5e0bc8973903d164d85d9.jpg 

Hudson Card better be made of teflon and walk on water with all of the fucking hype people around the program are giving him, given that he's looking like all we'll have left. As far as I can tell, we've got a WR with carny-hands slotted in to start and some chucker from Austin High showing up in 2021, so whoever is running this fucking shitshow better damned sure have a handle on grabbing some insurance not named Charlie "Fog of War" Brewer from the motherfucking portal. Hot Christ.

At least if Herman is still showing up daily to properly buttfuck the program, we know that that fucking spare Cade Brewer will be taking up valuable snaps at TE and therefore Wiley can be the emergency back-up QB once Card is broken in half in Fayetteville on a telegraphed fake read option. 

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Things can change in a hurry. 

It wasn't long ago we were talking about how strong our QB room was.  

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hudson Card better be made of teflon and walk on water with all of the fucking hype people around the program are giving him, given that he's looking like all we'll have left. As far as I can tell, we've got a WR with carny-hands slotted in to start and some chucker from Austin High showing up in 2021, so whoever is running this fucking shitshow better damned sure have a handle on grabbing some insurance not named Charlie "Fog of War" Brewer from the motherfucking portal. Hot Christ.

At least if Herman is still showing up daily to properly buttfuck the program, we know that that fucking spare Cade Brewer will be taking up valuable snaps at TE and therefore Wiley can be the emergency back-up QB once Card is broken in half in Fayetteville on a telegraphed fake read option. 

I’m still convinced Jackson has the higher upside. I was hoping that a new coach could come in before he entered the portal and convince him to stay. But nope.

I don’t trust Herman to know who his best QB is. Like you just mentioned, he certainly doesn’t know who is best TE is.

• Hook 'Em 2

TFB

***Haven’t gotten the ok from my source to release the name but am told another entrant to the portal is likely to come in the next few days. Likely Monday or Tuesday.

***Player is a freshman. I’m told he hasn’t let the coaches know but does already have a spot and has begun moving out. So, while the coaches may be able to convince him to stay, I don’t imagine it will be easy

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

***Haven’t gotten the ok from my source to release the name but am told another entrant to the portal is likely to come in the next few days. Likely Monday or Tuesday.

***Player is a freshman. I’m told he hasn’t let the coaches know but does already have a spot and has begun moving out. So, while the coaches may be able to convince him to stay, I don’t imagine it will be easy

Please don't be Bijan please don't be Bijan