Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

3 hours ago, futureman said:

I remember when I was shitting on preston stone over a year ago and everyone was calling me an idiot.  and now everyone is acting like they were always on board that train.  

it’s been said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 

To be fair, your default is to shit all over everyone. At some point the numbers game will prove you right. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Smith is more than likely an edge rusher at the next level.  Seems like we've slowed down on recruiting him.  Must be behind Thomas and L. Jackson on the board.

We will find out soon enough but if it is about pass rushing, I would have him clearly above LJackson on the stack rank. Smith is a flash around the edge and holds up at the point of attack, very natural.  Dunno about mental evaluation or ability to fit into what Coach meathead has run as a program the last 3 years. 

8 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I like Smith more than Thomas. I think his athletic ceiling is quite a bit higher. 

We probably end up with Thomas.  Hope we take one of Smith/L. Jackson.  This in addition to Harris, who I think ends up an edge player and Sanders.  We need to get as many pass rushers as we can.  Turner probably ends up being the lone interior take for this class.

1 minute ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Did only one offer today go out to the Florida kids? I think one already one. No news yet either?

Two - Langston and Inniss.

I'm not sure what else you'd be expecting? I'm sure they'll post pics on Twitter soon enough.

Edited by texifornia

Is that the same week Brockermeyer(s) are taking an OV?  
Cooks said he was going to OV when Harris does.
Could also be the week Landon Jackson OV's.
I would love to eat crow here big time but let it go with landon jackson. He is aggy at least if not some other sec school. He is a chris Simms on signing day.

IT Scoop - Nahlin/Wells

Spoiler

By: Eric Nahlin and Justin Wells

The Scoop.....

ISHMAEL IBRAHEEM

Before he took the field for 7 on 7 I was able to briefly catch up with the 2021 priority cornerback from Dallas Kimball. He reiterated things I've heard but it was good to hear it from him and to see his expressions as he said them. We knew he had a good relationship with Jason Washington, and he still does, but Jay Valai is off to a good start. "Coach Washington, he's really laid back. Coach Valai, he's high energy." You could tell he liked both coaches when he said it.

I mentioned to him the new perception is Texas is lagging a bit behind but he says he still has Texas right there with other schools like OU, LSU, Georgia, and Michigan. He was wearing an OU hoodie if you're into that sort of thing. We did hear his OU visit earlier in the spring went quite well.

Ibraheem says he plans to take three official visits this spring and then two during the summer. He said he'll take his official visit to Texas in late April. He didn't know the exact dates but I'm assuming it will be for the spring game. That seems a little too early but if you want to make up for lost time building a relationship then it should benefit in that regard.

Ibraheem is on the same team as Denton Guyer defensive back Deuce Harmon. Harmon said he still isn't hearing much from UT. He wasn't as short as I was expecting, though that could just be bias due to how I view him. Harmon did train with Jay Valai when he was younger so there is a bit of a relationship if UT tries to pick things up later in the cycle.

LANDEN KING

I was able to watch the Atascocita tight end in action on Saturday and it's clear he's a very good receiving tight end prospect. I also caught up with one of the more physical players in the class who knows King and asked him about that aspect of King's game. He said, "don't let his demeanor fool you, he can be physical."

King has a very good build, bigger in the lower half, and strong and lean up top. He's a tad narrow but he'll be densely built with plenty of good muscle.

Recruiting in general:

"It's really skyrocketing. I had a big junior season and that Texas offer in February really set things off. I've got a lot of Big 12 offers and a lot of visits I'm going to take; probably to Texas Tech, Texas, Purdue, even Oklahoma State. I'm going to be pretty busy this spring. I'm probably going to take an official visit to Washington. Other official visits, I know Texas and Texas Tech will get one for sure."

Texas recruiting him:

"I talk to Coach Boulware and Coach Herman every day. I like him [Boulware], he's real straight forward. I like what the new OC has going on too. When I went up there [Texas] we sat down and we watched film of what he [Boulware] was doing at Oklahoma and also what the new OC was doing at Ohio State. They said they see me as a vertical threat and that they need more athletic tight ends."

It's interesting that they're showing OU tape. That explains King's value even more, and also clarifies Jaden Hullaby's fit.

Texas commits working on him:

"Jalen (Milroe) and Derrick (Harris) those are my guys, and Billy (Bowman). Those three are my guys."

King is looking at a summer decision and you have to love UT's positioning. Many of his classmates feel UT is easily the team to beat. Texas Tech is a bit of a darkhorse just because they've been recruiting him the longest.

SCUTTLE

I heard Magnolia offensive lineman, Matthew Wykoff, is likely leaning towards out of state. He holds Texas and A&M offers but he could improbably end up elsewhere. I don't think either school has prioritized him like others have. It's still early, but watch Arizona State here. This would be a pretty surprising development, and it's early, but there is room to operate for out-of-state schools as Texas and A&M prioritize the more elite prospects.

One of those prospects being prioritized by Texas, A&M, and everyone else is Bryce Foster from Katy Taylor. A couple of interesting points here: A&M is likely going to push his official visit back to later in the year, and UT track and field coupled with proximity puts Texas in a favorable spot. Originally Foster was going to take his A&M official during their spring game. Texas is shooting for an official the last week in June before the dead period. He would take that visit with Hayden Conner, Jalen Milroe, Derrick Harris Jr., and perhaps some other commits. If Foster decides to use officials during the season, however, Texas may look to push its official back too. From a person who knows the track and field landscape, I hear A&M throwing coaches aren't too interested in sharing athletes with football and that the OU throwing program is not good at all.

Anyone who follows Foster on Twitter or has been reading our coverage of him understands throwing is a priority.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1236747212396417024

The Mountain
@brycefoster2021
😳👀 https://twitter.com/nationalthrows/status/1236744953834827777

National Throws
@nationalthrows
“Successful throwers in high school have regularly transformed into wealthy, first round draft picks just a few years later.”https://247sports.com/Article/From-Track-to-the-NFL-Shot-Put-and-Discus-37580172/ …

4:14 PM - Mar 8, 2020 · Houston, TX
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See The Mountain's other Tweets

He's nearing 200 feet in the discus and has a bright future in the sport. Texas made sure to emphasize its throwing program during his last visit. Oregon has a great sell for both football and track and field, but I can't see Foster going far from home. This recruitment has a long way to go but there is a path for Texas to earn the signature.

North Shore quarterback Dematrius Davis has abandoned his baby fat and looks better than ever. I don't think he'll end up at Virginia Tech but that's more guesswork than anything else. The Davis family doesn't want to talk about it much but I know their phones are ringing off the hook. I don't expect anything to materialize with Texas but I am watching just in case he ends up at a place like A&M or LSU.

Summer Creek wide receiver Elijah Bean was on the same team as Landen King. From afar it was tough to tell who the tight end was and who the receiver was. Bean's 6-foot-5 listing checks out. He's at LSU today but hasn't heard all that much from Texas yet. He hopes that changes. He seems to like Baylor.

JORDON THOMAS

Defensive line recruiting for the Horns has been surprisingly solid over the last 12 months.

They added three in 2020 - Alfred Collins, Vernon Broughton, and Sawyer Goram-Welch -- then snagged Denton Ryan junior Ja'Tavion Sanders, who might have the highest upside, early in the 2021 cycle. That portends to a salty D-line over the next 3-4 years.

You have to give credit to defensive line coach Oscar Giles, which we've noted many times.

Now, Giles is looking to build off his recent success and Jordon Thomas might be the best example. The 6-foot-3, 245-pound weakside defensive end from Port Arthur Memorial made another trip to Austin over the weekend, his first since last season.

Even though the four-star missed his entire junior season to an ankle injury, his sophomore numbers (32 tackles, seven TFL, and five sacks) combined with his freakish physique make him an interesting prospect.

"(Giles) is a very nice guy," said Thomas. "He's really determined to get me to Austin and brings good opportunities to the table.I brought my grandfather and he really liked him and the school."

What was UT's message to the promising defensive end?

"That (UT) really needs me over here in Austin," said Thomas. "I'll be back soon, and probably for a game this fall."

Thomas is looking for a program where the coaches really connect to the players and school environment. Texas and Giles are checking those boxes. The Longhorns are his top team today and that jives with what we've heard and reported over the last month.

Thomas says his next visits are Texas A&M and LSU. Those are the two teams UT is battling at the moment. While I don't think Thomas is ready to make a decision, I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled the trigger heading into the summer even though he says a pledge during his senior year is possible. If he can help with 2022 cornerback teammate and UT target Jaylon Guilbeau, this thing gets exciting.

Plus, he bonded with fellow four-star defensive lineman Shemar Turner, who was also visiting from Desoto.

Of note; Thomas remains one of the nicest, most courteous kids I've covered in a dog's age. He uses the word 'blessings' in almost every conversation.

JOJO EARLE

He's back.

The 5-foot-9, 174-pound mighty mite from perennial power Aledo is a relatively quiet kid that doesn't get caught up in recruiting like many other prospects. He's a grounded, priority-based young man who lets his play on the field do the talking. With 3,500 total yards and 45 touchdowns in two seasons, those numbers are loud.

During UT's offseason overhaul on the coaching staff, his name got lost in the mix. It was time for UT and wide receivers coach Andre Coleman to make up for lost time.

That happened.

"I can't even remember the last time I visited Texas," said Earle, with a laugh.

Only 12 months ago, Texas was the team to beat for the four-star dynamo's services. Then the rest of the country caught up to what the Texas staff already knew; he's a playmaker. It appeared LSU and TCU held the latest advantage, and after Earle missed his unofficial visit to Austin in January, the distance between him and UT looked quite large.

Enter Coach Coleman, who sources say is going full throttle in the Earle pursuit. But also coach Jay Valai, who has a great relationship with Earle and his safety teammate BJ Allen (more on him below).

"I really enjoyed my time," Earle said. "I heard some good things that opened my eyes about the university."

In the Herman-Yurcich offensive collaboration, the inside receivers are put in a position to not only succeed but to put up gigantic numbers similar to Lil'Jordan Humphrey in 2018 and Devin Duvernay in 2019. Earle, who was accompanied by his parents and uncle, sees himself as a natural fit in what Texas wants to do in 2020.

Earle wants to visit Baton Rouge this spring, and is unsure if there's any other trips he'll be making until the summer.

Texas had one goal in regards to Earle on Sunday; get back in this. And I believe they did just that.

BJ ALLEN

It's early for the 2022 safety prospect from Aledo, but with his talent and upside, this is when you plant the seeds to harvest in two years. When the 6-foot-0, 185-pound prospect arrived with his family and little brother, 2024 ATH Jaden Allen, it was more than he expected.

OU, Florida, and Penn State are among his early verbal invitations. Add Texas to that list too.

Allen might also be the only kid I've met that's been named Newcomer of the Year in two different districts. He earned the superlative in 2018 while at Fort Worth Southwest (4-5A II), then again last fall for the Bearcats (5-5A II) after his transfer. That's a first.

What stood out about Texas Football after his Saturday road trip to Austin?

"All the construction and the new trophy room," said Allen. He noted the stadium plans look incredible and will be something special by the time he signs. The number of school trophies were almost "overwhelming."

He's a big fan of corners coach Jay Valai, which is an ever-growing sentiment among UT targets over the last couple months.

"(Valai's) positive attitude and mindset is great," said Allan. "Coach Herman was cool too. We spoke a while."

What about little bro?

"Yeah, he's a dog," said Allen. "I can't wait until he starts to get attention. He deserves it."

In time, young man. What stood out about Texas to his folks?

"My parents loved the academic department," said Allen. "That's their focus."

No other visits are planned right now, but Allen said he might visit LSU this weekend. For now, Texas just needs to continue building the relationship. Then hopefully a bloom appears before NSD 2022.

• Like 2