Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Nick Harris: Recruiting Tidbits from Houston Endzone 7on7

THE WOODLANDS, Texas — I spoke with four-star Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem at the Houston Endzone 7on7 and he confirmed that he will be taking his official visit to Texas at the end of April. As of right now, that is the only official visit he has scheduled, but I expect Oklahoma to get one soon as well. Meeting the new staff seemed to have gone a long way in Ibraheem's recruitment as he had previously said that Texas losing Jason Washington would be a negative. He played at a high level for Dallas' Flex team today as they went 2-1 in pool play.

— Plant City (Fla.) four-star wide receiver Mario Williams (No. 40 in the Top247 for 2021) is in Houston with South Florida Express before their trip to Texas on Monday. Williams said he's ready to get there and meet with the new coaches. Not a man of many words, Williams is planning on being a two-sport athlete at the next level as he is a highly-touted center fielder out of Florida. He said he hasn't heard from the Texas baseball staff.

— Four-star Flower Mound Marcus quarterback Garrett Nussmeier flew in Saturday evening from Baton Rouge fresh off of his visit from LSU. He said the visit went great and that he loved being able to sit down and talk to all of the coaching staff and how they run things. He said he is planning to take visits to Texas, Miami, and South Carolina and possibly Arizona State, TCU, and Baylor before making his decision on Easter Sunday. He said communication with Mike Yurcich has been fluid and he is excited to get on campus and meet with him and the rest of the coaching staff.

— Austin LBJ safety Andrew Mukuba was a late arriver to Endzone as well and said that he and Chris Ash have a solid relationship right now and are talking almost daily. He plans on getting to campus on March 24 to see practice and talk with coaches about the program. He'll also pay a visit to LSU next weekend, to Oklahoma for their spring game in April, and to Arizona on April 4. He doesn't have any plans for officials right now.

— In speaking with Humble Atascocita tight end Landen King, it seems as though Texas is a big frontrunner at this point in his recruitment. He speaks with the coaching staff daily and is making strides to get to campus as quickly as possible. He's still in communication with Texas Tech, Georgia Tech, Washington, and Oklahoma State, but has only locked down an official to Texas.

— Galena Park North Shore cornerback Denver Harris was playing for Prime Truth Saturday and let me know that he's planning on getting out to Georgia, Ohio State, and other out-of-state schools during the spring. However, he is planning on getting to Texas over the summer as he stays in contact with Jay Valai weekly.

— In a surprising tidbit, one I didn't expect to get Saturday, Texas quarterback commit Jalen Milroe showed up in a sling over his left arm. He said he fractured his shoulder working out but expects to be back by spring ball. He did hear from Alabama this week after they lost the commitment of four-star Drake Maye, but he reaffirmed to us and (as well as BamaOnLine) that he is 100% committed to Texas and does not plan on making any changes. Auburn and Arkansas have also been in touch. He also said he will be taking his official visit to Texas with Denton Ryan's Billy Bowman Jr. in June and expects all of the Texas commits to join them that weekend.

— Alvin Shadow Creek linebacker Terrence Cooks was also in action Saturday for KFA and said that he's just taking things slow right now. He said the communication with Texas has been very fluid over the past few weeks as they stay in contact daily. He said he likes Georgia, Oklahoma, and Baylor right now as well.

— I spoke with Cedar Hill four-star quarterback Kaidon Salter who has been blowing up this spring, specifically since being ranked as the number-one quarterback in Texas, and he said he hasn't heard from Texas and does not have much interest there. I have a crystal ball in for Baylor right now and that's where it will stay for the time being. Arkansas has also thrown their hat into the ring as a major contender.

— Recent out-of-state offer Jantzen Dunn (Bowling Green, Ky./South Warren) was in town playing for Dallas' TrueBuzz team and let me know that Texas is not a huge threat in his recruitment. Ohio State seems to be the frontrunner at this point for the four-star athlete.

— Frisco Independence tight end Elijah Arroyo was also in action for Prime Truth and let me know that he is taking visits this month to Kansas and Texas Tech. He's just looking to see where he fits at this point but imagines he'll take an official visit to Texas.

— Big-time 2023 wide receiver Brandon Inniss (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./University School) will be on campus Monday with South Florida Express and is excited to meet the coaches and see Austin. He said it wasn't a team he paid much attention to growing up but has started to like them a lot more in recent years.

• Like 3

Gabe Brooks: Texas recruiting trends and what to expect in the 2021 class

The past two recruiting cycles for the Texas Longhorns both landed in the top 10 nationally of the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings. However, those two classes are in stark contrast to each other. In the 2019 class, Texas signed 22 high school players, with almost half (10) coming from out-of-state programs. In the 2020 class, all but one of the Longhorns' 18 high school signees hailed from the Lone Star State. What do the past two cycles say about what fans should expect for the remainder of this cycle?

"If you asked me a week ago, I would have told you that 2019 was an outlier, but I think I’m sensing a trend. It’s still early, but it appears Texas has much more success out of state coming off of disappointing seasons," said Mike Roach, Horns247 recruiting insider. "In 2018, Tom Herman was able to dominate in-state recruiting in his first full cycle. Following a 7-6 season, Texas was forced to go out of state when Jimbo Fisher got off to a fast start in his first full cycle at Texas A&M. After winning a Sugar Bowl, Texas was able to win many more of their in-state battles in the 2020 class, but now they are coming off of a down year and staff turnover. It will depend on how the early battles play out, but the staff is already recruiting outside of state borders aggressively."

With that concept as context, we must examine the possibility that Texas leaves its state borders to find players at certain positions. When the Longhorns recruit outside of the state, are they pinpointing particular spots, or do they take a more blanket "best players available" approach? "Generally I think they try to find the best guys. However, it seems this year they are focused on defensive backs and receivers in out-of-state recruiting," Roach said. "When they did this in the 2019 class, they targeted positions that were weak in the state of Texas. For instance, I don’t believe they will be as aggressive for offensive linemen in other states since (the state of) Texas is absolutely loaded at the position (in the 2021 cycle)."

That 2019 class that featured 10 out-of-state high school signees and 12 in-state included. Of the 10 out-of-staters, five were receivers (3) or linebackers (2), though we must note two of those players -- Bru McCoy (transfer) and De'Gabriel Floyd (medical retirement), both from California -- are no longer with the program. There are always wideouts in Texas, but classes vary from year to year when it comes to the number of higher-end wideouts Texas may pursue.

Additionally, a cycle such as 2019, which featured seven in-state wideouts (if you count athlete Jordan Whittington as a receiver) in the top 100 of the Top247 rankings, may possess the requisite glut of high-end receivers available, but that certainly does not guarantee they stay at home. Of those seven top 100 receivers in the 2019 class, only two stayed in-state: Whittington and Dylan Wright (Texas A&M).

Linebacker is a position that seems to be increasingly more difficult to find in numbers in the Lone Star State, especially traditional off-line linebackers, rather than "spacebackers" or hybrid edge players. In the 2017-20 cycles, Texas signed 10 linebackers, and only four of them were in-state high school players. The remaining six linebackers were out-of-state high schoolers (3) or junior college prospects (3). With all of that as context, it's interesting that the Longhorns have kicked off their 2021 class with their first six commitments all hailing from the state of Texas. But that early run of Lone Star State standouts may not necessarily mean that Texas repeats a similar ratio to the 2020 class.

"It’s probably too early to tell, but if I had to wager right now, I’d say it will be closer to 2019," Roach said of the 2021 class. "While I don’t expect it to be a nearly even split (like 2019), I think Texas will be forced to operate more outside of the state borders to fill their class. Ideally, they’d like to be able to fill needs in-state, but they also know that competing at an elite level means finding the best talent regardless of the origin."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Nick Harris: Recruiting Tidbits from Houston Endzone 7on7

Lol he talks about Milroe being a Texas commit hearing from Bama and Nussmeier looking at LSU, Miami and Texas, then says Kaiden Salter the "top-ranked quarterback in Texas" has zero interest from UT and is choosing between Arkansas and Baylor. Yeah ok.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, satyanash said:

However, it seems this year they are focused on defensive backs and receivers in out-of-state recruiting," Roach said. "When they did this in the 2019 class, they targeted positions that were weak in the state of Texas. For instance, I don’t believe they will be as aggressive for offensive linemen in other states since (the state of) Texas is absolutely loaded at the position (in the 2021 cycle)."

Aren't we recruiting an O-lineman from Kentucky and two from Arizona?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, satyanash said:

— Alvin Shadow Creek linebacker Terrence Cooks was also in action Saturday for KFA and said that he's just taking things slow right now. He said the communication with Texas has been very fluid over the past few weeks as they stay in contact daily. He said he likes Georgia, Oklahoma, and Baylor right now as well.

What does this mean?

This is a very complicated case. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's. And, uh, lotta strands to keep in my head, man. Lotta strands in old Duder's head. Luckily I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug regimen to keep my mind, you know, limber.

On 3/8/2020 at 12:42 AM, texifornia said:

Lol he talks about Milroe being a Texas commit hearing from Bama and Nussmeier looking at LSU, Miami and Texas, then says Kaiden Salter the "top-ranked quarterback in Texas" has zero interest from UT and is choosing between Arkansas and Baylor. Yeah ok.

Weird, dude has no offers from A&M, Texas or OU - best in state offer is Baylor.

Reports offers from South Carolina, Ole Miss, Arky and Auburn. Looks like his Arky offer may  have come from Chad Morris while he was there then continued once he landed at Auburn?

That said, he is the #1 ranked QB in Texas per 247 (not composite) - they have him as #12 in Texas, #4 Dual and #89 nationally - just barely though. Other 247 Ranked QBs:

• Milroe (#14 Texas, #5 dual, #95 nationally)
  • Dematrius Davis (#15 Texas, #6 dual, #96 nationally)
  • Preston Stone  (#18 Texas, #7 dual, #106 nationally)

Salter's composite is really held down by Rivals - shocking no one - where he is #60 in Texas and #20 Dual Threat. 

Going to be really interesting to see how those 4 guys shake out over the next 12 months. 

39 minutes ago, NoName said:

Weird, dude has no offers from A&M, Texas or OU - best in state offer is Baylor.

Reports offers from South Carolina, Ole Miss, Arky and Auburn. Looks like his Arky offer may  have come from Chad Morris while he was there then continued once he landed at Auburn?

That said, he is the #1 ranked QB in Texas per 247 (not composite) - they have him as #12 in Texas, #4 Dual and #89 nationally - just barely though. Other 247 Ranked QBs:

• Milroe (#14 Texas, #5 dual, #95 nationally)
  • Dematrius Davis (#15 Texas, #6 dual, #96 nationally)
  • Preston Stone  (#18 Texas, #7 dual, #106 nationally)

Salter's composite is really held down by Rivals - shocking no one - where he is #60 in Texas and #20 Dual Threat. 

Going to be really interesting to see how those 4 guys shake out over the next 12 months. 

It’s definitely a weird situation. Salter’s picked up like 10 P5 offers this spring, but they’ve almost all been from the lower rungs of P5. His offer list certainly doesn’t support his 247 rankings and schools don’t usually waste time making offers at the QB position. I haven’t watched any of his film, so I don’t have an opinion, but it’ll be interesting to see if some of the big time offers start to roll in, or if Barton Simmons just fell in love with a JAG. 

Davis and Stone don’t really have the committbal offer lists of top 100 type QBs either. So far, Milroe’s the only guy out of those 4 with a legit top 100 offer list. Then, you also have Nussmeier, Robinson, and Stowers who could all end up being ranked higher than those 3 by the end of the cycle.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s definitely a weird situation. Salter’s picked up like 10 P5 offers this spring, but they’ve almost all been from the lower rungs of P5. His offer list certainly doesn’t support his 247 rankings and schools don’t usually waste time making offers at the QB position. I haven’t watched any of his film, so I don’t have an opinion, but it’ll be interesting to see if some of the big time offers start to roll in, or if Barton Simmons just fell in love with a JAG. 

Davis and Stone don’t really have the committbal offer lists of top 100 type QBs either. So far, Milroe’s the only guy out of those 4 with a legit top 100 offer list. Then, you also have Nussmeier, Robinson, and Stowers who could all end up being ranked higher than those 3 by the end of the cycle.

Stone is because he started so high ranking wise...not a great trend here:

vsCarHI2

Davis has been hovering in the 130-150 range since inception: https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Dematrius-Davis-at-North-Shore-205357/RecruitRankHistory/

Salter is wild...composite info here: https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Kaidon-Salter-at-Cedar-Hill-227477/RecruitRankHistory/

composite: 

f42bXpSz

Top 247:

epDD8kg9

How often do guys go from outside the top 500 to inside the top 100 in a 6 month timeframe (and stay there)

On 3/7/2020 at 6:53 AM, Elmer_Fudd said:

From TFLoss.  Commit watch with Thomas?  And lulz at Texags and/or Perroni saying they heard Thomas had no plans returning to Texas.  Any idea who the other one could be?

Per 24/7, DE Jordon Thomas of Port Arthur Memorial is on campus tonight.

They are working on confirming another big visitor.

Any time Jordan is at Texas he is on commitment watch 

36 minutes ago, NoName said:

Stone is because he started so high ranking wise...not a great trend here:

vsCarHI2

Davis has been hovering in the 130-150 range since inception: https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Dematrius-Davis-at-North-Shore-205357/RecruitRankHistory/

Salter is wild...composite info here: https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Kaidon-Salter-at-Cedar-Hill-227477/RecruitRankHistory/

composite: 

f42bXpSz

Top 247:

epDD8kg9

How often do guys go from outside the top 500 to inside the top 100 in a 6 month timeframe (and stay there)

247 seems to really fal in love with QBs during the offseason when they see them at 7 on 7 events. Haynes King was at 303 in the nation and then got bumped all the way up to #43 around this same time last year. 247 moved him up to #19 in the country after elite 11 and then everyone saw how Suitt the was during his senior season and he was slowly dropped outside the top 100 by the end of the cycle. 

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

247 seems to really fal in love with QBs during the offseason when they see them at 7 on 7 events. Haynes King was at 303 in the nation and then got bumped all the way up to #43 around this same time last year. 247 moved him up to #19 in the country after elite 11 and then everyone saw how Suitt the was during his senior season and he was slowly dropped outside the top 100 by the end of the cycle. 

This is likely whats going on with Salter. He has very clear arm talent and is probably killing it at workouts, 7on7s, etc. He was pretty good on the field too, but I didn't think he elevated Cedar Hill in the way his arm talent suggests he should. It's hard to say though because Cedar Hill hasn't been the same since McGuire left. Under McGuire, if they had a decent QB, they were state title contenders.