Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

48 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Look, I get the excitement because it's the KoolAid hour of a new coach hire - with the fresh new hire smell, but if you don't see a reason for people to be trepidatious about Sarkisian and his hires, I don't know what to tell you. So let's do the run down -- he's 46-35 all time including 31-26 in conference. He's never won a conference title despite having the most talented team in the conference by a large margin in each season at USC. He was fired for being drunk on the sidelines (and failing spectacularly in his duties as HC). He's a recovering alcoholic coming to the most stressful job of his career in a city that parties hard as fuck. There's certainly some wiggle room in the level of excitement and belief. 

As to the hand wringing over the personnel support department, when you hire some terrible evaluators to your staff (Terry Joseph for example) you put a lot more pressure on the personnel department. Again, I think anyone having some mild trepidation about unforced errors from that department is well within the bounds of reason. This isn't the same as questioning an Urban Meyer decision. Until Sark proves that he's grown and changed on and off the field, there's room for question and concern. 

You would have loved that guy they hired in 1957 who just went 5-5 at Washington the year before......

Seriously....Does Sark have the potential to fail spectacularly?  Sure.  However, this is supposed to be fun so stopped being such a wet blanket about everything and at least wait until he does actually screw up somewhere before you start getting afraid this might not work out.

I mean it isn't like it's your money they are paying him. If it all implodes we do it again.  It's still infinitely better then holding onto Herman another 12 months and seeing where we are then.  What do you have to actually lose if you get positive and hopeful that this is going to work?

BTW by all reports out of Bama and Atlanta he has already proved he has changed on the field and off it.....

As for Austin being a city that "parties hard as..."  Seriously?  Most of Austin is copy cat cookie cutter developments with some clubs and 6th street.  "Parties hard as.." doesn't even begin to apply to Austin.  It's a great place to live if want to live in a metro area I guess, but the idea that it parties hard is hillarious.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I didn't say there wasn't a lot of reasons to be excited - there are A LOT of reasons - simply pointing out that there were and are logical and reasonable reasons to be have some concerns. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let's be honest. Texas Football has given all of us a lot of reason to be drunk over the last decade. If Sarkisian goes back to drinking, we will all understand.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Nor in the five seasons at Washington, where he was never better than 5-4 in conference. I mean, I'm not trying to go down that entire rabbit hole - just pointing out some trepidation is valid. 

USC was a professional and personal failure for Sark, there's no denying that, but trying to pretend like Washington was anything other than a success is silly. He got that USC job for a reason, Washington was a dead program when he took over, literally 0-12 they year before he got there. Posting his overall record without adding that context is meaningless.

Don't punish a guy for taking a tough job and turning around a program, they went 9-4 in Sarks last year there. 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Sark had mediocre results as a head coach. He got Washington out of the basement, but plateaued shortly after. 

I'd argue his last season (the team finished 9-4, he left for USC after 8-4) gets lost, especially in the context that the program was beyond dick down in the dirt when he took over, far worse off than anything we've seen here. Some people on here have really underestimated just how bad 0-12 really is. And they weren't only 0-12, they had only won 12 games in the previous five years period. He inherited all of that shit, and turned it into 9 wins while he was there. Petersen would take Washington to the CFP with Sark's last two recruiting classes. 

Sark is starting off here with a program that is in a much better situation. 100X better. It's not even debatable. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'd argue his last season (the team finished 9-4, he left for USC after 8-4) gets lost, especially in the context that the program was beyond dick down in the dirt when he took over, far worse off than anything we've seen here. Some people on here have really underestimated just how bad 0-12 really is. And they weren't only 0-12, they had only won 12 games in the previous five years period. He inherited all of that shit, and turned it into 9 wins while he was there. Petersen would take Washington to the CFP with Sark's last two recruiting classes. 

Sark is starting off here with a program that is in a much better situation. 100X better. It's not even debatable. 

Ok Okay GIF - Ok Okay Umm - Discover & Share GIFs | Waka flocka, Giphy,  Funny gif

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Look, I get the excitement because it's the KoolAid hour of a new coach hire - with the fresh new hire smell, but if you don't see a reason for people to be trepidatious about Sarkisian and his hires, I don't know what to tell you. So let's do the run down -- he's 46-35 all time including 31-26 in conference. He's never won a conference title despite having the most talented team in the conference by a large margin in each season at USC. He was fired for being drunk on the sidelines (and failing spectacularly in his duties as HC). He's a recovering alcoholic coming to the most stressful job of his career in a city that parties hard as fuck. There's certainly some wiggle room in the level of excitement and belief. 

As to the hand wringing over the personnel support department, when you hire some terrible evaluators to your staff (Terry Joseph for example) you put a lot more pressure on the personnel department. Again, I think anyone having some mild trepidation about unforced errors from that department is well within the bounds of reason. This isn't the same as questioning an Urban Meyer decision. Until Sark proves that he's grown and changed on and off the field, there's room for question and concern. 

This does not give me the feelings I want to feel, and therefore I’m going to ignore this completely. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'm in no way defending how shitty that team was but out of curiosity I looked up that 2008 Washington schedule and they had an brutally tough slate. Their ooc games were BYU, OU, and Notre Dame (Charlie Weis version, but still). Played three teams that finished top ten (OU, USC, Oregon). Played 6 teams that finished in the top 25. 

Did almost get a win in the Apple Cup against a terrible Washington State team that only won a single other game but lost what had to be an absolute classic in double overtime 16-13. 

Sorry for the digression but not like we're super focused here at the moment. I'm drinking the Sark Kool-Aid completely but I appreciate golfclap's attempt to keep us relatively grounded. Every concern he's brought up is reasonable. Anyway, it's Tuesday, hopefully we get some good news soon.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, UncleSonny said:

I'm in no way defending how shitty that team was but out of curiosity I looked up that 2008 Washington schedule and they had an brutally tough slate. Their ooc games were BYU, OU, and Notre Dame (Charlie Weis version, but still). Played three teams that finished top ten (OU, USC, Oregon). Played 6 teams that finished in the top 25. 

Did almost get a win in the Apple Cup against a terrible Washington State team that only won a single other game but lost what had to be an absolute classic in double overtime 16-13. 

Sorry for the digression but not like we're super focused here at the moment. I'm drinking the Sark Kool-Aid completely but I appreciate golfclap's attempt to keep us relatively grounded. Every concern he's brought up is reasonable. Anyway, it's Tuesday, hopefully we get some good news soon.

It's absolutely fair to question things, I've got no issues with that. I'll just argue them if I don't agree. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Machinator said:

J.T. Tuimolau

Just now, Machinator said:

In actual recruiting news, an Oregon 247 mod says we're making a push with J.T. Tuimolau:

Reveal hidden contents

Ohio State and Alabama have been the two schools standing out front for the five-star for the past few months and each is trying to eliminate the remaining contenders as signing day nears. Oregon isn’t going to go quietly though as the Ducks push to break the distance that Ohio State and Alabama are working to create.

While not in his top five, Texas is making a late entrance to the party with Steve Sarkisian coming to the Longhorns from Alabama and bringing a top notch staff with him that includes Washington’s former defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski. USC also is looking to improve their standing and is hoping to make a run as well.

The one thing that can almost be assured at this point in the race for JT is that this won’t be settled early next month. In fact, I’d make the wager that we’ll see this outlast the dead period meaning that there’s the possibility that JT can make the desired visits to his finalists before making a decision.

Niiice

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

In actual recruiting news, an Oregon 247 mod says we're making a push with J.T. Tuimolau:

Hide contents

Ohio State and Alabama have been the two schools standing out front for the five-star for the past few months and each is trying to eliminate the remaining contenders as signing day nears. Oregon isn’t going to go quietly though as the Ducks push to break the distance that Ohio State and Alabama are working to create.

While not in his top five, Texas is making a late entrance to the party with Steve Sarkisian coming to the Longhorns from Alabama and bringing a top notch staff with him that includes Washington’s former defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski. USC also is looking to improve their standing and is hoping to make a run as well.

The one thing that can almost be assured at this point in the race for JT is that this won’t be settled early next month. In fact, I’d make the wager that we’ll see this outlast the dead period meaning that there’s the possibility that JT can make the desired visits to his finalists before making a decision.

That'd be a hell of a pull 

53 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

As for Austin being a city that "parties hard as..."  Seriously?  Most of Austin is copy cat cookie cutter developments with some clubs and 6th street.  "Parties hard as.." doesn't even begin to apply to Austin.  It's a great place to live if want to live in a metro area I guess, but the idea that it parties hard is hillarious.

Coming from the Dad of a soon to be incoming Freshman; this has me feeling “just a little bit” more comfortable. :)

Oh, and 👎🏻 to “cookie cutter developments”. I despise the homogenization of Texas, and really anywhere.  (🖕🏻Henry Ford, macDonald’s and Walmart)

29 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

This is a massive exaggeration. Willingham wasn’t good, but he actually took over a 1-10 UW team in 2004 and got them to 5-7 and 4-9. They were probably going to win about 5 games in 2008, but then Locker got hurt and Willingham didn’t have anything behind him. 

So basically Sark took over a program that had performed about the same as UT under Charlie (albeit with less talent but did inherit Jake Locker) and then went 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6, and 8-4.  He didn’t exactly work miracles, but he also didn’t have a ton to work with. You definitely would’ve liked to see his team improve more in his last 2 seasons when he had turned over the roster.  In 2011 and 2012, they were around 50th in SP+. Doing that in 2012 when it was pretty much his roster was not good. To his credit, UW was 15th in the country in 2013 per SP+ and went 0-2 in one score games, so he was probably a bit unlucky and should’ve been 9-3. Still not amazing but decent.

He then goes to a USC team that went 10-4 the year before and was 10th in SP+ which returned about 5 All-Americans, its QB, 3 starting OL, and was loaded at the skill positions, though it did have some scholarship restrictions.  He went 9-4 and regressed to 22nd in SP+ and then got fired the next year. 

Overall, he has a very mixed bag as a HC. You can say that he’s grown since then and his alcoholism likely played into his struggles, but we don’t actually know how much he’s improved as a HC or how much more in control he’ll be of his issues. Beyond that, he’s been a HC for 6 and a half years and never won double digit games.  I do think his coaching staff at UT is his best yet, but he also had Wilcox as a DC for multiple years, who’s no slouch. 

Tl;dr There are plenty of things to be excited about with Sark, but also some serious reasons for caution. Maybe we keep that concept in our head instead of freaking out whenever anyone points out that Sark isn’t a guaranteed thing. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Texas Flood said:

Wasn't there an update somewhere stating J.T.'s family said thanks but not thanks and citing it's a little late?

6 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Texas is making a late entrance to the party with Steve Sarkisian coming to the Longhorns from Alabama and bringing a top notch staff with him

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

This is a massive exaggeration. Willingham wasn’t good, but he actually took over a 1-10 UW team in 2004 and got them to 5-7 and 4-9. They were probably going to win about 5 games in 2008, but then Locker got hurt and Willingham didn’t have anything behind him. 

So basically Sark took over a program that had performed about the same as UT under Charlie (albeit with less talent but did inherit Jake Locker) and then went 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6, and 8-4.  He didn’t exactly work miracles, but he also didn’t have a ton to work with. You definitely would’ve liked to see his team improve more in his last 2 seasons when he had turned over the roster.  In 2011 and 2012, they were around 50th in SP+. Doing that in 2012 when it was pretty much his roster was not good. To his credit, UW was 15th in the country in 2013 per SP+ and went 0-2 in one score games, so he was probably a bit unlucky and should’ve been 9-3. Still not amazing but decent.

He then goes to a USC team that went 10-4 the year before and was 10th in SP+ which returned about 5 All-Americans, its QB, 3 starting OL, and was loaded at the skill positions, though it did have some scholarship restrictions.  He went 9-4 and regressed to 22nd in SP+ and then got fired the next year. 

Overall, he has a very mixed bag as a HC. You can say that he’s grown since then and his alcoholism likely played into his struggles, but we don’t actually know how much he’s improved as a HC or how much more in control he’ll be of his issues. Beyond that, he’s been a HC for 6 and a half years and never won double digit games.  I do think his coaching staff at UT is his best yet, but he also had Wilcox as a DC for multiple years, who’s no slouch. 

Tl;dr There are plenty of things to be excited about with Sark, but also some serious reasons for caution. Maybe we keep that concept in our head instead of freaking out whenever anyone points out that Sark isn’t a guaranteed thing. 

Me and you have argued about this before. And like I said before, I don't give a fuck who your QB is, 0-12 means you have some serious fucking roster issues. Going 0-12 REALLY is hard. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

tOSU mods/insiders seem to think he's already a done deal to them so this would a huge rug pull in our favor if it actually works out.

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

I have a really hard time seeing us pull this off, but UW and Bama were in his top 5, so we’re probably converging multiple coaches he likes into one staff with a lot more allure than UW. On top of that, he has all tOSU CBS, but none of them are very high confidence, so maybe he’s still pretty undecided. Have to think it would be a positive for us though if he doesn’t sign on NSD2. 

25 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

It's pathetic, but I am pretty sure I remember watching that Apple Cup. It was like watching a train wreck and I was in awe. If it wasn't that game, I don't know what it could have been. 

Washington has always been an interesting school to me. It's never been clear why they're not a regular power, but maybe that's simply because I love the weather up there. I really do wish Texas would schedule a home and home with them. They're ideal for it.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Me and you have argued about this before. And like I said before, I don't give a fuck who your QB is, 0-12 means you have some serious fucking roster issues. Going 0-12 REALLY is hard. 

Apropos of nothing, Jake Locker is one of the most overrated QBs in history. Never did shit.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m as big a “thread derailer” as anyone here. (Especially when I stupidly, and most regrettably, quote a post with an unfortunate gif 😧🥴😣😖☹️)....but didn’t we already have cover all of these so called reasons for caution when the announcement was made?

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

Apropos of nothing, Jake Locker is one of the most overrated QBs in history. Never did shit.

I always thought he was overrated myself, but he was still a fine PAC QB.

Anyway, I've been speaking about this subject through a recruiting and talent lens, but I see how it can get off the rails so I'll stop discussing it. 

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Gotdamn, wouldn't that be something.

We are really missing out on a lot with no visits. It may have given us an outside chance to make up ground fast with some of these Hail Marys but also this board would be supercharged if we got the tweet, "I'm told 5-star J.T. Tuimoloau is in Austin...".

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think it's most likely that the Oregon mod helped Roach with the Stewart info and Roach followed with, "Thanks man, did you know Texas is after Tuimolau?" Content gonna content.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's pathetic, but I am pretty sure I remember watching that Apple Cup. It was like watching a train wreck and I was in awe. If it wasn't that game, I don't know what it could have been. 

Washington has always been an interesting school to me. It's never been clear why they're not a regular power, but maybe that's simply because I love the weather up there. I really do wish Texas would schedule a home and home with them. They're ideal for it.

Rainy weather, out-of-the-top-10 state population, a middling love of football that tends to drift toward the Seahawks more than UW, a very insular local culture that doesn't particularly like or welcome outsiders - though that could be breaking down with Amazon/Microsoft/startups growing like crazy (and there's definitely a racial component to that as well - Seattle is a low-key extremely segregated city).

Would be a phenomenal home-and-home, I completely agree. What a location.

• Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, Octavian said:

tOSU mods/insiders seem to think he's already a done deal to them so this would a huge rug pull in our favor if it actually works out.

They always think it's a done deal for everyone.. the DB that committed to SC was done to them months ago too.. Fucktosu

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Did we have a thread for walk-ons? Nahlin is hinting that we're going to pick up a pretty good PWO today. I noticed that Banks followed this guy on Twitter.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/8283506/LUKE-LINGARD

Noted upthread he's currently a TCU PWO commit, which would be good for a laugh.

We don't have one yet - want to start one? Carrot Top already kicked PWO season off right.

Edited by texifornia

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Rainy weather, out-of-the-top-10 state population, a middling love of football that tends to drift toward the Seahawks more than UW, a very insular local culture that doesn't particularly like or welcome outsiders - though that could be breaking down with Amazon/Microsoft/startups growing like crazy (and there's definitely a racial component to that as well - Seattle is a low-key extremely segregated city).

Agree that a series with Washington would be amazing. Or Oregon for that matter. That entire PNW area is just beautiful in the fall. 

With all the tech companies and startups coming to Austin, feels like it has a lot more in common with Seattle and Portland than ever. Although Portland kind of feels like it has been trying too hard to match Austin's culture/weirdness for a while now. 

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Husky stadium, both location and design, is awesome.  Not that you'll find a day clear enough to enjoy the scenery.

Edited by JBJ

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Did we have a thread for walk-ons? Nahlin is hinting that we're going to pick up a pretty good PWO today. I noticed that Banks followed this guy on Twitter.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/8283506/LUKE-LINGARD

Also Michael Taffee the white DB from Westlake, he was followed by Gideon and he has been liking a bunch of Texas stuff. He is the one that caught those picks off Ewers.