Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Thoughts on Texas commits and targets in final 2021 Top247 update

We have two Top247 recruits, compared to Oklahoma's 10 and A&M's 12. Brutal.

Satya rubs it to transition classes. Last time we had one he declared the Texas brand dead. We finished #3 in the country the next year. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Isn't that just a normal night at South Austin's mom's house?

Not enough love for this.
Damn. Either you guys are already asleep or just straight/up out of it tonight.  Normally, this would’ve gotten 17 😂’s, 3🤘🏻‘s and a “fuck around and find out”...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Some thoughts that might be worth what you’re paying for them:

-LJ Johnson - this is a crazy recruitment. Dude presses to graduate early. Then he might not show up for spring at either school. He has a chance to compete for backup at either school, instead this guy is going to do footwork for the spring at home and then redshirt after showing up in June? Neither group of coaches is loving the lack of competitiveness. 

-True to form, the LB from UTenn is going to make sure he gets his. Bama is the likely outcome. If Texas gets this guy, well, bags for sure be droppin’. 

-The ol’boy out of Seattle ain’t signing on NSD2. He might give Texas an actual look and make it fun, but he’s going to Ohio State. 

-I am not the only guy watching CFB religiously that thinks Charvonnet is a depth guy. The guys at Texas that are paid to do this are pursuing him because they know better. 

-Abiara is as close as a lock as we could hope for those still unsigned for 2021. 

-The PWO kicker is exciting for the staff. Family, HT to @Hank Scorpio, is loaded. Laramie had PWO offers from everyone accordingly.  He’s worth a scholarship. 

If you have an open and obvious question that I didn’t touch on for what is left in this shit show of a class, LMK. I have been hustling on different calls all day and then cooking and got a couple of calls while whipping something up and might not be remembering everything. 

Uke, the OT. Hear anything there?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Not enough love for this.
Damn. Either you guys are already asleep or just straight/up out of it tonight.  Normally, this would’ve gotten 17 😂’s, 3🤘🏻‘s and a “fuck around and find out”...

I thought it was pretty fucking funny, but I'm the guy that laughs at his own jokes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-LJ Johnson - this is a crazy recruitment. Dude presses to graduate early. Then he might not show up for spring at either school. He has a chance to compete for backup at either school, instead this guy is going to do footwork for the spring at home and then redshirt after showing up in June? Neither group of coaches is loving the lack of competitiveness. 

-True to form, the LB from UTenn is going to make sure he gets his. Bama is the likely outcome. If Texas gets this guy, well, bags for sure be droppin’. 

-The ol’boy out of Seattle ain’t signing on NSD2. He might give Texas an actual look and make it fun, but he’s going to Ohio State. 

-I am not the only guy watching CFB religiously that thinks Charvonnet is a depth guy. The guys at Texas that are paid to do this are pursuing him because they know better. 

-Abiara is as close as a lock as we could hope for those still unsigned for 2021. 

-The PWO kicker is exciting for the staff. Family, HT to @Hank Scorpio, is loaded. Laramie had PWO offers from everyone accordingly.  He’s worth a scholarship. 

If you have an open and obvious question that I didn’t touch on for what is left in this shit show of a class, LMK. I have been hustling on different calls all day and then cooking and got a couple of calls while whipping something up and might not be remembering everything. 

Any truth to the camar Wheaton is off limits out of respect for saban? Bama losing their OC and rb coach had to of given him at least a slight big of hesitation. Sorry if this was already confirmed on here. 

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Uke, the OT. Hear anything there?

Nope. Thought about just saying that I didn’t hear shit. 

3 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Any truth to the camar Wheaton is off limits out of respect for saban? Bama losing their OC and rb coach had to of given him at least a slight big of hesitation. Sorry if this was already confirmed on here. 

Not sure about how amicable it was, but yeah, that shit got shut down. He isn’t coming to Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

How much did PK have to do with the 2 transfer pickup at edge rusher?

How bad is OL recruiting looking for 21? Any hope at all outside of Uke? Are we going to have to go the transfer market?

What is the biggest hole the staff sees right now between the roster and current class?

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Thanks for the solid 4,904th  post. I have been watching the new staff closely and if we land an out of nowhere highly rated recruit or transfer like the LB or DT  you mentioned it will confirm the new staff has the bag game in play. I can only hope.

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Has there been speculation behind the scenes that perhaps a heretofore unknown 3rd party has entered the LJ recruitment, hence the stalling/indecision?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

How much did PK have to do with the 2 transfer pickup at edge rusher?

How bad is OL recruiting looking for 21? Any hope at all outside of Uke? Are we going to have to go the transfer market?

What is the biggest hole the staff sees right now between the roster and current class?

I can honestly say we didn’t discuss any of this. I’ll ask next time if I can remember. 

9 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Has there been speculation behind the scenes that perhaps a heretofore unknown 3rd party has entered the LJ recruitment, hence the stalling/indecision?

None that I have heard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Roach

Spoiler

—I spoke to a high school recruiting coordinator who talked with Texas quarterbacks coach AJ Milwee today. We don’t know much about Milwee as a recruiter, so I was curious to hear this coach’s perspective. The two connected for a long conversation about this coach’s prospects and I’m told that the conversation was more than just an introductory thing. Milwee asked questions intended to carry out a thorough evaluation of his prospects. This coach mentioned that the prior staff didn’t communicate nearly as well and he was encouraged by this interaction.

—I still don’t have a great handle on the recruiting territories for assistants, but I’d bet Jeff Banks will be responsible for Dallas and the I-20 corridor in the southern part of the metroplex in particular. Coaches in Dallas rave about him, and it was his area prior when at UTEP and Texas A&M. One high school coach told me that Banks is one of the most relentless personalities he’s ever met no matter if it’s coaching or recruiting.

—I checked with sources tonight to see if there was any interest in Michigan running back transfer Zach Charbonnet. I was told Texas doesn’t feel that he’s a great fit and likely wouldn’t pursue him. Texas is looking at all options for the running back position, but there continues to be some growing confidence in ultimately landing LJ Johnson.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Next time you get this good shit (or even if you don't), feel free to drop it on the podcast. Open invite

Edited by RGBIII
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Next time you get this good shit (or even if you don't), feel free to drop it on the podcast. Open invite

i know this is a recruiting thread but...podcast thing i should probably post elsewhere so i am spoilering

Spoiler

i think a podcast segment on historical "classics" would be awesome. even if it's just going over funny stuff like the statues debacle (how i found shaggy) - can have folks who were around then, or just have folks tell some of their favorite stories from past boards/threads/whatever

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

I realize that Brooks isn't exactly playing against world beating competition but his senior HUDL is something else. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8423068/5fe2d417a023891b5ca5c8a2

Given the step up in competition, he probably won't be ready to contribute meaningfully at the beginning of the season, but there's a chance he will be towards the end of the season when the guys above him on the depth chart start getting banged up 

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Texas, with new head coach Steve Sarkisian and new defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski tried with Tuimoloau, but he said he's sticking with his final five. Sarkisian was recruiting him at Alabama and Kwiatkowski at Washington.

Not that we had much of a shot anyway, but sounds like we are completely out of it. Too bad. 

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Harris started following this kid: https://247sports.com/player/jaylin-white-46097494/

And Gerry covered it:

Sarkisian heading back to Alabama for a RB?
Texas is kicking the tires on offering Dothan High (AL) speedy and versatile running back Jaylin White. The near 5-foot-10, 185-pounder has had Ole Miss and Purdue as his most likely destinations, but that could change quickly with an offer from the Longhorns. Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton, Brandon Harris and Bryan Carrington have all been working on the info gathering and recruiting process with White with the staff having made contact with White and Dothan High head coach Smitty Grider on Wednesday. Florida has also been mentioned as a potential destination possibility in the last few days.

The Longhorns have also been in contact with Michigan transfer Zach Charbonnet, and the staff does see potential value in bringing in the 6-foot-1, 220-pounder.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

i know this is a recruiting thread but...podcast thing i should probably post elsewhere so i am spoilering

Hide contents

i think a podcast segment on historical "classics" would be awesome. even if it's just going over funny stuff like the statues debacle (how i found shaggy) - can have folks who were around then, or just have folks tell some of their favorite stories from past boards/threads/whatever

We will hit on some of this stuff later on when news dies down and shit gets slow. I wasnt around a ton on shaggy back in the day but would love to have someone thats been around a lot walk down memory lane. Would be fun for me as well if I havent heard the story before

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

We will hit on some of this stuff later on when news dies down and shit gets slow. I wasnt around a ton on shaggy back in the day but would love to have someone thats been around a lot walk down memory lane. Would be fun for me as well if I havent heard the story before

Many of the free hosted pictures have expired, but...

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/75135-UT-Football-Basketball-Baseball-amp-Golf-statues-behind-Co-op

RB notes from Gerry

Spoiler

Sarkisian heading back to Alabama for a RB?
Texas is kicking the tires on offering Dothan High (AL) speedy and versatile running back Jaylin White. The near 5-foot-10, 185-pounder has had Ole Miss and Purdue as his most likely destinations, but that could change quickly with an offer from the Longhorns. Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton, Brandon Harris and Bryan Carrington have all been working on the info gathering and recruiting process with White with the staff having made contact with White and Dothan High head coach Smitty Grider on Wednesday. Florida has also been mentioned as a potential destination possibility in the last few days.

The Longhorns have also been in contact with Michigan transfer Zach Charbonnet, and the staff does see potential value in bringing in the 6-foot-1, 220-pounder.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Not that we had much of a shot anyway, but sounds like we are completely out of it. Too bad. 

I think that was the report after the initial attempt.  He was 100% committed at that time and now will wait to fully consider.  It's still a long shot but i'd bet our shot went from 0% to 10% chance.  soyoursayingtheresachance.gif