Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

This is the true story of one football coach picked to live in a house, bring Texas back, and have it all taped on LHN - to find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real.

Can it be Banks though? That would be epic viewing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Rainy weather, out-of-the-top-10 state population, a middling love of football that tends to drift toward the Seahawks more than UW, a very insular local culture that doesn't particularly like or welcome outsiders - though that could be breaking down with Amazon/Microsoft/startups growing like crazy (and there's definitely a racial component to that as well - Seattle is a low-key extremely segregated city).

Would be a phenomenal home-and-home, I completely agree. What a location.

My dad is from Bremerton and grew up riding the fairy over to watch U dub games from the time he was  a little little kid in the 50's so he's always been a fan and I've always sort of kind of a little bit kept an eye out for them.  They have some really really good squads but will never be a power again imo- at least not as long as Phil Knight lives.  Oregon and Nike market corrected UW.  They used to be able to get those So Cal guys that didn't want to go to SC or UCLA for whatever reason and sprinkle them in with what can be a decent amount of talent locally, that never used to have any competition from another in state (Wazzu) or regional (Oregon) power.  Oregon has cockblocked them likely forever. I think it's super instructive that the only time Washington was actually good in the last 20 years (more or less coinciding with the rise of Oregon) was when Chip Kelly left with their house on fire. 

Edited to add- that's why they have such a bitter rivalry (Washington and Oregon) that is really low key nationally hate filled (as hate filled as they can get on the west coast about anything anyway) and that's b/c it's like a loser leaves town match. They know that they can't both be good at the same time and one absolutely stands in the way of the other as a viable national power. We can co-exist with OU b/c we can both recruit nationally and Texas has enough talent to go around- move on to the next guy- evaluate and develop better.  They just don't have that option and it's the lifeblood of the program at stake-  you won't see a decade long run like Mack and Stoops had up there where both programs were top 10, won national titles, played for other national titles- played in BCS bowls at the same time/during the same decade. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My dad is from Bremerton and grew up riding the fairy over to watch U dub games from the time he was  a little little kid in the 50's so he's always been a fan and I've always sort of kind of a little bit kept an eye out for them.  They have some really really good squads but will never be a power again imo- at least not as long as Phil Knight lives.  Oregon and Nike market corrected UW.  They used to be able to get those So Cal guys that didn't want to go to SC or UCLA for whatever reason and sprinkle them in with what can be a decent amount of talent locally, that never used to have any competition from another in state (Wazzu) or regional (Oregon) power.  Oregon has cockblocked them likely forever. I think it's super instructive that the only time Washington was actually good in the last 20 years (more or less coinciding with the rise of Oregon) was when Chip Kelly left with their house on fire. 

Edited to add- that's why they have such a bitter rivalry (Washington and Oregon) that is really low key nationally hate filled (as hate filled as they can get on the west coast about anything anyway) and that's b/c it's like a loser leaves town match. They know that they can't both be good at the same time and one absolutely stands in the way of the other as a viable national power. We can co-exist with OU b/c we can both recruit nationally and Texas has enough talent to go around- move on to the next guy- evaluate and develop better.  They just don't have that option and it's the lifeblood of the program at stake-  you won't see a decade long run like Mack and Stoops had up there where both programs were top 10, won national titles, played for other national titles- played in BCS bowls at the same time/during the same decade. 

fairies_.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Octavian said:

Agree that a series with Washington would be amazing. Or Oregon for that matter. That entire PNW area is just beautiful in the fall. 

With all the tech companies and startups coming to Austin, feels like it has a lot more in common with Seattle and Portland than ever. Although Portland kind of feels like it has been trying too hard to match Austin's culture/weirdness for a while now. 

Spent almost twenty years in the PNW between Seattle, Sebastopol, CA and PDX. Portland cranks the freak knob to 11. Makes Austin look like Lubbock... you have no idea.

My old neighbor in Kirkland was a Husky letterman in the 70’s on the Sonny Sixkiller teams. Old school Seattle... Norwegian dude from Ballard. He blames the tech invasion and subsequent “pussification” for U-Dub’s mediocrity. Used to be a total blue-collar state where your old man either logged, fished or worked on the line at Boeing. 

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Huh, wonder if something happened re: Ibraheem:

Roach:

Spoiler

I can't report specifics yet but his legal case is getting closer to being resolved. The Texas staff has been in contact with people close to Ibraheem regarding the situation and is aware of any developments. My sense is that there is still a strong desire to sign the four-star cornerback pending the final result.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I used that word correctly.  It was a different time and place back then from what I understand.  Little kids could hang out with anyone who would give them a ride, no questions asked, so since dad really wanted to go to the games back then...

Son of a bitch I'm an idiot.  I'm uphauled. 

No one here has ever tried to tell you who you can and can't ride.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fud said:

Final rivals in-state rankings

1) Tommy Brockermeyer
2) Donovan Jackson
3) Ja'Tavion Sanders
4) Bryce Foster
5) Clayton Smith
6) Tunmise Adeleye
7) Camar Wheaton
'8) Shemar Turner
9) JoJo Earle
10) LJ Johnson
11) Billy Bowman
12) Quay Davis
13) Reuben Fatheree
14) Jalen Milroe
15) Latrell McCutchin
16) Garrett Nussmeier
17) Savion Byrd
18) JD Coffey
19) Kendrick Blackshire
20) Preston Stone
21) Deuce Harmon
22) Marcus Burris
23) Kaidon Salter
24) Ezra Dotson-Oyetade
25) Hunter Washington
26) Ketron Jackson
27) Brandon Campbell
28) Shadrach Banks
29) J. Michael Sturdivant
30) Sawyer Robertson
31) Andrew Mukuba
32) Cody Jackson
33) Elijah Arroyo
34) Theodore Knox

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals250/2021

I watched zero senior hudls, but no Terrance Cooks seems par for the course for Rivals

can someone explain Foster at #4? It's basically all tools driven, right? Because results absolutely don't match up with him being that high...

FYI waiting on the final 247 update so I can do another Looch 44 vs 247 Composite vs ??? comparison

Ari Wasserman @ The Athletic on Sark and West Coast Recruiting

Spoiler

Will the West Coast be a priority for Steve Sarkisian? Recruiting Mailbag

GettyImages-1180699969-1024x683.jpg
By Ari Wasserman 5h ago comment-icon.png 24 save-icon.png

Recruiting never stops. Neither do your questions. Let’s get to it.

(Note: Submitted questions have been edited for clarity and length.)

Where do you think Steve Sarkisian and Texas will target in recruiting. He has a lot of West Coast roots along with the new defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski, so do you think they will target that area more than Texas or try to keep their hometown kids in-state or maybe a combination of both? Thanks for doing this column. — Ryan M. 

I don’t care if the Texas coach has inroads for talent on Mars, the No. 1 objective when you are the head coach of the Longhorns is to build that program on the backs of the most elite prospects in the state of Texas. Keeping kids home at Texas is a much different proposition than keeping prospects home at most other jobs given the size of the state, how many other Power 5 programs are located in the state and how many national brands attack the state, but there is still enough talent in Texas to make the Longhorns a legit national title contender without ever having to seriously branch out.

Keep this in mind: In the 2022 class in the 247Sports Composite, there are 33 players in the state of Texas who rank in the top 225 nationally. So even if Texas converts on only 35 percent of those players — which I think is a reasonable proposition with the right staff — that is a decent chunk of a 25-man recruiting class. Obviously, that’s easier said than done. Sarkisian is coming in during a time when Ohio State already has commitments from two of the top four players in Texas in five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers of Southlake (Texas) Carroll and five-star receiver Caleb Burton of Del Valle (Texas) High, both top 15 players nationally. And yes, Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech and everyone else are attacking the state. But with the right staff at Texas? This is still a Longhorns state.

Sarkisian used to be the head coach at USC, and Kwiatkowski spent the last seven years at Washington, which means he heavily recruited the West Coast, so I’m sure the Longhorns will do everything they can to grab some top prospects out of Southern California away from Pac-12 schools. And Texas is a national brand with a head coach who just got to show off his play-calling ability in the national title game, so I’m sure things will go well on that front. I don’t doubt that California will be a key part of Texas’ recruiting plan.

But for Texas to be the Texas it was under Mack Brown, Sarkisian knows he has to own the state to the best of his ability. That doesn’t mean signing everyone because Texas isn’t going to beat the big dogs of the sport in every head-to-head battle, but a relentless focus on recruiting this state is essential, even if the end result just means that Oklahoma and other Big 12 schools need to spend more time and resources recruiting the state of Texas. Remember, recruiting is all about time, and if Texas has an assistant in every high school in major metropolitan areas, that makes Oklahoma’s quest to land elite-level talent in Texas more difficult.

Texas is about Texas. And there is enough talent in Texas to prop up the program while making it harder for everyone else to recruit the state. It’s up to Sarkisian to emphasize, and, more importantly, capitalize on that.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

can someone explain Foster at #4? It's basically all tools driven, right? Because results absolutely don't match up with him being that high...

FYI waiting on the final 247 update so I can do another Looch 44 vs 247 Composite vs ??? comparison

Only thing that can explain Foster at #4 is he camped well early on (which camps for OL I don't think really give you that much). His play this year and most of last certainly don't warrant a #4, but then again they have Fatheree at #13 so he's definitely ahead of him.

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

can someone explain Foster at #4? It's basically all tools driven, right?

I imagine it's like NFL teams drafting on combine scores and measurables.  Kid benched 225 26 times as a HS sophomore.  That's a top 12 NFL combine score.  He's freakishly strong.  Not too bright (met him), motor's questionable and inconsistent, but he's a large pack animal.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Also Michael Taffee the white DB from Westlake, he was followed by Gideon and he has been liking a bunch of Texas stuff. He is the one that caught those picks off Ewers.

I like it. Gideon goes out and recruits future Gideons and by 2024 we have a defensive backfield whiter than a Surly happy hour. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I like it. Gideon goes out and recruits future Gideons and by 2024 we have a defensive backfield whiter than a Surly happy hour. 

Slow down my friend.  He's just getting himself a "corch on the field" to communicate with telepathically.  The rest of his guys will be Earl Thomas level ball hawks that will come full circle and buttfuck Bama in the playoffs where Saban will step down after an NCAA investigation shows several Level 1 infractions.  Then, those hillbilly Walmart shoppers will watch as their team circles the drain for about 10 years.  At least that's my dream...

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, NoName said:

I predict the Looch rankings will be his most "accurate" in history because we only signed two of the top 40 players in the state, so he has little motivation to artificially rank our guys lower. 

<SadTrombone>

• Rage+1 1