2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

Got this in my email today.  The triple play video was cool.  There are instructions at the bottom to subscribe if interested.

Astros Beat
By Brian McTaggart

March 30, 2022

Pedro Leon

Hello! Welcome to the first edition of the new Astros Beat newsletter. Brian McTaggart has covered the Astros since 2004, and for MLB.com since 2009.

Ask anyone who’s been around the Astros this spring who’s made the biggest positive impression, and the player who undoubtedly gets mentioned the most is outfielder Pedro Leon. So much so, there’s a belief by some in the organization that Leon is ready to start in center field on Opening Day, but that might be a bit aggressive. 

Unless he gets injured, Leon will make his Major League debut this year. He’s got all the tools to be an impact player in the big leagues, both on offense and defense. Leon, the 23-year-old Cuban who’s the team’s No. 4-ranked prospect by MLB Pipeline, will probably begin the year in Triple-A, but he won’t be there for long. 

“He’s made an excellent impression,” manager Dusty Baker said. “He’s going to be a player. He’s already a player, but he’s going to be a player. I like him a lot. He’s smart, he works hard, he’s a no-nonsense young man. To come from Cuba, he’s adjusted very, very, very well. He’s so young, and we all love the kid.” 

The Astros’ center field situation remains unsettled, which only fans the flames for Leon. Baker hasn't been high on Chas McCormick so far this spring, and can they trust Jose Siri enough to play him in center three or four times a week? With Jake Meyers out for a couple of months with a shoulder injury, there’s a clear path for Leon to reach the big leagues sooner rather than later. 

“I’ve got to put who I think is the best and looks ready the most to help us win from the beginning,” Baker said. “It’s a long year.” 

Still, Leon has played in only 72 games of professional baseball in the U.S., including 17 at Triple-A last year. Look for him to begin the season starting in center for the Sugar Land Space Cowboys, but it won’t be long before he’s taking the short trip up Highway 59 to Minute Maid Park.

Framber Valdez

START HIM UP!

It appears left-hander Framber Valdez, not veteran Justin Verlander, will get the start for the Astros on Opening Day. There has been no official announcement, but Baker said earlier this week that Verlander would “probably not” start next Thursday’s opener in Anaheim. 

That brings us to Valdez, who’s lined up to start based on the days he’s pitching the spring. Verlander would presumably go in the second game of the season, with Jake OdorizziJosé Urquidy and Luis Garcia slotted in after that. Remember, though, the Astros don’t need a fifth starter until the second week of the regular season because they have so many off days. 

Dusty Baker and Yuli Gurriel

MILESTONE WATCH

Baker will begin the regular season 13 wins shy of reaching 2,000 for his career. That’s a huge milestone. His 1,987 victories are 12th most all-time, and 10 of the 11 managers who have more wins are in the Hall of Fame. The only one who isn’t is Bruce Bochy, who’s not yet eligible. 

The Astros will open the season with a nine-game road trip before coming to Houston for their first six games at Minute Maid Park, so there’s a good chance Baker will reach 2,000 at home. 

Yuli Gurriel

INSIDE THE ASTROS VAULT

April 6, 1978: The Astros faced a tough test when Cincinnati's Big Red Machine rolled into town for Opening Day of the 1978 season, and while the Reds prevailed in a tight 11-9 contest, Houston dazzled the Astrodome crowd with a triple play in the bottom of the seventh. Cincinnati's Dan Driessen struck out at the plate, and then Astros shortstop Roger Metzger caught Joe Morgan wandering too far off third base. Enos Cabell then finished off the feat by firing over to second in time to catch George Foster.

Astros.JPG

DUSTY QUOTE OF THE WEEK

“There are people that said two years ago when we played those 60 games that Yuli was getting old, remember? Certain players don’t get old at the same rate that other players get old.” -- Baker, when asked about 37-year-old first baseman Yuli Gurriel, who won the AL batting title and a Gold Glove last year after a down 2020.

TRIVIA

Who has made the most Opening Day starts by a pitcher in Astros history?

• A. Roy Oswalt
  • B. J.R. Richard
  • C. Shane Reynolds
  • D. Mike Scott
Michael Brantley and his father, Mickey

FAMILY TIES

Bloodlines run deep this year on the Astros, where several players are related to former big leaguers. The most famous one is veteran outfielder Michael Brantley, whose father, Mickey Brantley, played for the Mariners from 1986-89 and was on the Blue Jays' coaching staff from 2005-07. 

Gurriel’s brother, Lourdes Jr., plays for the Blue Jays. Their father, Lourdes Sr., was a Cuban baseball legend. Lance McCullers Jr.’s dad, Lance Sr., pitched seven seasons in the big leagues with the Padres (1985-88), Yankees (1989-90), Tigers (1990) and Rangers (1992), and shortstop Jeremy Peña is the son of former big leaguer Geronimo Peña, who played six seasons with St. Louis (1990-95) and one with Cleveland (1996). 

Then there’s Minor League infielder Grae Kessinger, who is the grandson of two-time Gold Glove-winning infielder Don Kessinger. His uncle, Keith Kessinger, reached the Major Leagues, too, with the Reds in 1993. And don’t forget Kyle Tucker, whose older brother, Preston, played for the Astros (2015-16), Reds (2018) and Braves (2018).

TRIVIA ANSWER

A. Oswalt. The “Wizard” started eight consecutive Opening Day games from 2003-10, which is a club record. Richard, Reynolds and Scott each started five Opening Day games.

FORWARDED FROM A FRIEND? SUBSCRIBE NOW

To subscribe to Astros beat, visit your MLB Account page, check the "Astros Beat Report" list under All League Newsletters and make sure you're following the Astros or they're checked as your favorite team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

I always liked James and wish he had lived up to his potential. He's one of those that always seemed to be right on the edge of making it. But in the end, if you can't throw strikes you aren't going to stick around. 

Step up or move on.

Leon will be called up 

On 3/29/2022 at 11:42 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

@Scipioand I will be giving away seats throughout the year- not altogether certain exactly how many- but we will be giving them out in sets of 2.  

First game available- lets make it a contest...

Guess JV's opening line box score from opening night Thursday April 7th against the Angels.  In order of importance (so it's an eliminator)

Earned runs allowed/IP/K's/hits/walks/# of pitches thrown.  We will eliminate starting with runs- everyone who nails the earned runs will go onto the next category, IP's, anyone left over who nails that we will go on to K's, then hits, then walks, then #pitches thrown.  Closest two people to his box numbers get two tickets each.  Good seats, 25th row down the 3rd base line, half way between the bag and Crawford boxes.

My guess:

2 ER/5 innings/6 K's, 3 hits/2 walks/88 pitches thrown.

Most times we will probably just do a standard drawing or pick a number or something like that- but I want to get a list going of everyone here who is interested in being in the group to have giveaways fro the year.  My guess is we will be giving away somewhere between 25 and 50 pairs of tickets during the course of the season.  And of course- playoff tickets again since that contest seemed to go well.  So, if you want on the list say so after you give your prediction for opening day tickets and you will be on and we will keep you open for future consideration.

Valdez it is, so put me down for 4R/5.2 IP/7K/4H/3BB/83 pitches….and please keep me on the list for future opportunities. Thanks again for doing this!

• Hook 'Em 1

Neris has looked really good this spring. He could be a much needed workhorse out of the pen. Also seems like a good guy. He took 60 Latino minor leaguers that were in camp to dinner and even shuttled them to the restaurant himself. 

Edited by TonyTexas

@Scipioand I will be giving away seats throughout the year- not altogether certain exactly how many- but we will be giving them out in sets of 2.  

Guess JV's opening line box score from opening night Thursday April 7th against the Angels.  In order of importance (so it's an eliminator)

Earned runs allowed/IP/K's/hits/walks/# of pitches thrown.  We will eliminate starting with runs- everyone who nails the earned runs will go onto the next category, IP's, anyone left over who nails that we will go on to K's, then hits, then walks, then #pitches thrown.  Closest two people to his box numbers get two tickets each.  Good seats, 25th row down the 3rd base line, half way between the bag and Crawford boxes.

My guess:

Most times we will probably just do a standard drawing or pick a number or something like that- but I want to get a list going of everyone here who is interested in being in the group to have giveaways fro the year.  My guess is we will be giving away somewhere between 25 and 50 pairs of tickets during the course of the season.  And of course- playoff tickets again since that contest seemed to go well.  So, if you want on the list say so after you give your prediction for opening day tickets and you will be on and we will keep you open for future consideration.

3/5.2/6/4/3/92

• Hook 'Em 1

All the SP have looked pretty sharp this spring, and Neris, Javier, Maton, and Stanek look good to go.  Baez and Pressly showing disturbing drops in velo.  Not sure about whoever is projected to the other open spots (I’m assuming Montero and a lefty plus 2 more since the rosters expanded).  All in all I’m really optimistic about this team even after losing Correa.  Last year’s roster vs this years:

Out: Correa, Greinke, Graveman, Raley, Y Garcia

In: Pena, Verlander, Neris, Morgan, Montero/Baez, $30M in payroll flexibility 

45 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

I mean, you can touch 95 and still average 93...in fact, that's about what you would expect lol.

still good to see in his first start of the spring.  if urquidy can find the mid 90's regularly with his control and pacing, he'd be a really solid sp3/4 or whatever he is.

but thanks for the math check.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Trying to drum up some outrage before the letter drops.

Seems like a really weird time to revisit that topic with the 2017 MLB letter on the verge of release. Presumably Cashman knows the content, so maybe its relatively tame. If not, what a tool.

34 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Seems like a really weird time to revisit that topic with the 2017 MLB letter on the verge of release. Presumably Cashman knows the content, so maybe its relatively tame. If not, what a tool.

Or maybe he’s trying to use the Astros as a shield. We might have cheated but remember that what they did was worse. 

My guess:

3 ER/5 innings/5 K's/5 hits/3 walks/92 pitches

• Hook 'Em 1