Which would you prefer?

TexArcher

Which would you prefer? (Expanded scenarios in post)  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Over the next 10 years, Texas...

• Wins 1 national championship in football, 0 in basketball, and 0 in baseball
    • Wins 0 national championships in football, 1 in basketball, and 1 in baseball

Choice 1: the next 10 years for our football program look a lot like '00-'09: let's say we win the SEC twice, make the playoff 3 times, and win 1 natty.  But, basketball continues to be mediocre and baseball continues to be close-but-no-cigars.

Choice 2: the next 10 years for our football program look a lot like the last 10 years: one 10-win season and top ten finish, but otherwise mostly 5-7 to 8-5.  But, Beard is the truth and we go to 3 Final Fours and win a natty, and baseball goes to Omaha 5 times and wins 1 natty.

This isn't about picking choice 2 because it seems more realistic from where our programs are now.  The question is basically: do we really value football more than everything else?  So much that we'd punt two national championships in the other two major mens' sports for one in football?

P.S. Fuck the offseason

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

There's football and there's "other sports".  I like seeing us win in other sports too, but baseball and basketball might as well be tennis and rowing.  

Baseball at Texas is not “other sports”

Show some fucking respect, mom 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I support baseball, been to a handful of games, will watch the CWS, got pics of my kids running the bases at the Disch, etc... But it'll never bring the excitement for me that football does.  If we're basing it off success then Volleyball, Tennis, Rowing, Golf, and Track and Field have all won NCs more recently than baseball.  And swimming/diving has to be the undisputed king of sports.

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

There's football and there's "other sports".  I like seeing us win in other sports too, but baseball and basketball might as well be tennis and rowing.  

Yeah, I'm looking forward to filling out my rowing bracket with 100 million other Americans.

11 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to filling out my rowing bracket with 100 million other Americans.

To each their own.  I've filled out an equal number of rowing and basketball brackets.  I like seeing us have success just because.. Longhorns.  But the sport just isn't that enjoyable for me to watch or pay much attention to.  I get that it's a big deal to most others.  To me it's not.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

How about zero championships for football or basketball but football wins 10 games a year, finishes top 15 every year and wins some good bowl games and basketball is a 20 win team that wins the SEC a few times and goes the the sweet 16 a bunch.  I would take that at this point.

But baseball continues its reign of terror in Omaha.  Can we go back to 2000-2009!?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

How about zero championships for football or basketball but football wins 10 games a year, finishes top 15 every year and wins some good bowl games and basketball is a 20 win team that wins the SEC a few times and goes the the sweet 16 a bunch.  I would take that at this point.

At this point I would just be thrilled to go back to the days when Kansas, Iowa State, Baylor and Oklahoma State were guaranteed wins.

• Hook 'Em 1

Man, I'd really like to a get a men's basketball championship. Terrible that we don't have any. I'm also annoyed that LSU caught up with us on baseball titles. I'd like to get another to be sole #2 most baseball championships plus catch up some to USC. However, I still voted football. It's the college sport people want to talk about. It's infuriating that OU has 7 championships while we only have 4. Seven schools have more AP/Coaches titles than Texas. C'mon get more!

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Which wins us more Director’s Cups?

The director's cup talk is a hilarious distraction at best. It's been held 27 times and until we won last year the previous 25 were won by Stanford. You know why Stanford wins the directors cup every year? It's because they compete in 36 men's and women's sports we compete in 16. If we were really about winning the director's cup and not using it as a distraction for our horrible football program we would add additional non-revenue sports to give us an actual chance at winning it every year. That would require Plonsky to buy fewer pillows and cut some of the actual bloat and the athletic department and use it to fund sports and college athletic scholarships.

Instead we will use that money to put on a carnival on game day both inside and outside of DKR.

Just now, Grade of D as in David said:

The director's cup talk is a hilarious distraction at best. It's been held 27 times and until we won last year the previous 25 were won by Stanford. You know why Stanford wins the directors cup every year? It's because they compete in 36 men's and women's sports we compete in 16. If we were really about winning the director's cup and not using it as a distraction for our horrible football program we would add additional non-revenue sports to give us an actual chance at winning it every year. That would require Plonsky to buy fewer pillows and cut some of the actual bloat and the athletic department and use it to fund sports and college athletic scholarships.

Instead we will use that money to put on a carnival on game day both inside and outside of DKR.

Shut up dipshit, we don't prioritize football enough and it shows. Dumb shit dipshit opinions like yours trying to rationalize. Like gtfo you stupid dumb idiot.

The answer is all 3. 

There's no reason whatsoever we cannot win NCs in football, basketball, and baseball over the next 10 years.  We don't have to pick and choose.  It's 100% possible to get all 3 within a 10 year span.  Hell, we were sort of close in just 2005 alone with 2 NCs and that was just 2 years after basketball made the FF (2003) and they made the S16 in 2004.