• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

51 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

1927 was the year the aggs were challenged by Tennessee to a post-season bowl game, and the aggys declined. Yet they claim a national championship for that season.

Kinda like aggy claiming Texas killed the “rivalry”, after they ran away from the Big 12 like Moses Rose from the Alamo.... and then they turned down two official requests from UT to schedule home & home series.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Kinda like aggy claiming Texas killed the “rivalry”, after they ran away from the Big 12 like Moses Rose from the Alamo.... and then they turned down two official requests from UT to schedule home & home series.

Advantage aggy...

On 6/16/2019 at 12:08 PM, Bullneck said:

Every time you get caught engaging in homosexual acts at aggy they cut off a digit from your middle two fingers.  After six incidents they sent you to UT.  (what I was told by an aggy back in 1980ish).

If that was true, they wouldn't have any students and UT would have an enrollment of 120,000.

John Sharp and Rick Perry may live to a ripe old age, but I like the odds that neither will ever live to see aggy win a national championship in football.  In the Big 12 in 2012, they might have gotten lucky with Manziel.  But, now their 100 year decision is a steaming pile of shit.  Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Florida will compete for a title before aggy.  

7 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Kinda like the reason A&M went to the SEC was because they couldn't compete with Texas head to head. They continue to sell the narrative that A&M runs this state, but the reality is that you went to the SEC because you couldn't compete with Texas on the same playing field. You have to use your conference mates to sell your program. 

Edited by texaslong
  • Like 4

Didn't USC also claim a 1939 title?  

Back then, the AP's final poll was released BEFORE the bowl games and aggy was #1 in the poll. For some reason, Tennessee dropped to #2 in Week 9 despite not only being undefeated (8-0) but NOT SCORED UPON during the regular season. aggy (10-0) was the AP National Champions after the last AP poll following the regular season although Tennessee was not only 10-0 also but had 10 straight shutouts.

Then came the bowls. #1 aggy beat #5 Tulane by a score of 14-13. #3 USC beat #2 Tennessee by a score of 14-0.

After the bowls, the Dickenson poll ranked USC #1. USC started claiming it in 2004.

(The Dickenson system was a mathematical poll that awarded points based on wins and losses vs the strength of opponent. Winning or losing to a good team earned more points than vs a bad team. Points were totaled for the season and then divided by games played to get the avg score for ranking. I can't find a record of where aggy finished under this system in 1939.)

• Like 2

The value of the 1919 and 1927 national championships isn't so much being able to claim those years specifically. It's being able to elide all the retroactive make-believe fairytale shit into a composite that's closer to what Aggies want to believe their program is. So 1919, 1864, 1066 AD, whatever-- the point is that A&M can say "we's got three nashnull championships on our stadium wall!"

To the extent a program's distant history matters to any recruit, beyond "this is a place where you can reliably expect to win for four years as opposed to potentially getting your brains beaten out 30 times", they're not looking for specifics. The recruit's not going to read up on how A&M won its 1927 national championship. All he's going to hear-- again, to the extent any 17-yr old listens to any of this horseshit-- is "we have won three national championships, come win our fourth!"

When you factor in their perpetual dick envy for UT, I'm just surprised they only claim three. Two of them are pretty much totally bogus, how hard can it be to find two more bogus ones and claim to have "the most national championships of ANY PROGRAM IN TEXAS"?

Edited by SwanderedTalent

well, I overestimated A&M as usual, they don't have a single other season in their whole stupid pathetic history that can even remotely be considered a national championship caliber year-- MAYBE 1909, when they were 7-0-1 and beat t.u. twice!!!!!! in!!!!! one!!!!! season!!!!!! but that's it and even that one doesn't make the radar of the weirdos who spend time considering who the "REAL national champion was!" eleven decades ago.

9 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

I had an aggy fan tell me that their new DT-Raikes- would be the best DT in Texas this year. Any thoughts on where he actually would be ranked here in Texas 

He would be behind Vernon Broughton and Branard Wright.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

well, I overestimated A&M as usual, they don't have a single other season in their whole stupid pathetic history that can even remotely be considered a national championship caliber year-- MAYBE 1909, when they were 7-0-1 and beat t.u. twice!!!!!! in!!!!! one!!!!! season!!!!!! but that's it and even that one doesn't make the radar of the weirdos who spend time considering who the "REAL national champion was!" eleven decades ago.

How on earth could you forget atms magical 1994 probation season where they went UNDEFEATED???*

*yet somehow managed to tie a 1-9-1 SMU team 

I think I said earlier on this thread that I think A&M will eventually claim something for 1994, but the reason I didn't use it here is, it's still within recent memory for most people. They can't do it yet because they don't have any official award of it (there isn't some jackaninny computer poll that came out in 2011 and retroactively awarded it to them) and way too many people remember that they barely finished in the Top Ten that year. 

If you go back to antiquity, though, you can kind of claim whatever the fuck you want and only a handful of Internet weirdos are going to WELL ACKSHULLY and explain why Yale's team was better than Texas A&M's in 1909. But I only found one ancient team and it had a tie, to a TCU team that lost twice, so they're SOL. 

20 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I could see that, or in 2044 on the 50th anniversary of the hallowed 1994 team's run to glory and the #8 position in the final AP poll of that year

Using "glory" without "hole" when referring to aggy seems a bit dishonest.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

The value of the 1919 and 1927 national championships isn't so much being able to claim those years specifically. It's being able to elide all the retroactive make-believe fairytale shit into a composite that's closer to what Aggies want to believe their program is. So 1919, 1864, 1066 AD, whatever-- the point is that A&M can say "we's got three nashnull championships on our stadium wall!"

To the extent a program's distant history matters to any recruit, beyond "this is a place where you can reliably expect to win for four years as opposed to potentially getting your brains beaten out 30 times", they're not looking for specifics. The recruit's not going to read up on how A&M won its 1927 national championship. All he's going to hear-- again, to the extent any 17-yr old listens to any of this horseshit-- is "we have won three national championships, come win our fourth!"

When you factor in their perpetual dick envy for UT, I'm just surprised they only claim three. Two of them are pretty much totally bogus, how hard can it be to find two more bogus ones and claim to have "the most national championships of ANY PROGRAM IN TEXAS"?

Don't bring up 1066. Some semi-educated meth and cock gobblers might end up claiming that one.

https://ibb.co/rGZCKCM

And of course, I can't make the image work.  Thanks though Machinator.  

Anyway, saw this in real life in Austin yesterday.  Couldn't believe it when I saw it, the jokes write themselves.  In life you're either the Fister or the Fistee.  

Edited by Lobo

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Geezuz, what’s next, Gloryhole?

I do like that the two fog lamps look like glory holes (that's the front of the car, not the back---obviously).  This was outside Juliet, a seemingly normal Austin eatery.

In the SEC of life, you either fist or get fisted.  

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

If you go back to antiquity, though, you can kind of claim whatever the fuck you want and only a handful of Internet weirdos are going to WELL ACKSHULLY and explain why Yale's team was better than Texas A&M's in 1909. But I only found one ancient team and it had a tie, to a TCU team that lost twice, so they're SOL. 

Look no further than Alabama’s claim to the 1941 title when they finished 20th in the AP, 3rd is the SEC, and got shut out by Vanderbilt and Mississippi State. 

13 minutes ago, Baconboy said:

Look no further than Alabama’s claim to the 1941 title when they finished 20th in the AP, 3rd is the SEC, and got shut out by Vanderbilt and Mississippi State. 

here's a measure of how bad that one is

http://tiptop25.com/champ1941.html

Alabama actually claims an MNC for this season, despite the fact that they were 9-2, ranked #20 in the AP poll (they rise to #13 in the fixed poll), and they finished tied for 5th in the SEC with 8-2 Vanderbilt, who beat them. This has to be the worst MNC claim of all time, utterly senseless. The claim is based on Alabama finishing #1 in the relatively obscure Houlgate math formula, and it is the only MNC claim a school has made based on Houlgate (Sagarin is far more respected, and no school claims an MNC based on Sagarin). No school has ever rescinded an MNC claim, so I suppose Alabama is stuck with this one, but it seems to me that it would be much less embarrassing for Alabama to rescind the claim than to continue with their ridiculous "1941 national champions" charade.

• Like 2