Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Regarding this quote:

While true, it's far too flattering of A&M.  Over the last decade, here are the records of the 3 programs in question;

Michigan:  91/32 (0.74)

Michigan State:  74/49 (0.60)

Texas A&M:  77/47 (0.62)

For all intents & purposes, Texas A&M *IS* Michigan State

A&M has played 11 FCS teams since 2012, Mich St has played 4.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

• Replies 72.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Everyone needs to remember that if they go 4-8 with wins over the powder puff squads and then us, they'll crow about it until the end of time.

And if they manage to overachieve and win a fifth game they'll rush the field.

Edited by Genco

I can't wait to see all of these smart "incentives" in Elko's contract as Bjork alluded.

Participate in all pregame coin tosses = $1.3 million

Arrive in the office by 10:30 a.m. sharp Tuesday through Thursday = $1.8 million

Complete five passes in each game = $1.5 million

Conduct spring practice = $2 million

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

I can't wait to see all of these smart "incentives" in Elko's contract as Bjork alluded.

Participate in all pregame coin tosses = $1.3 million

Arrive in the office by 10:30 a.m. sharp Tuesday through Thursday = $1.8 million

Complete five passes in each game = $1.5 million

Conduct spring practice = $2 million

Win the Spring Game = $5M

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

There is zero evidence this will work based on his resume both before and after he became a head coach.

In 12 years with Dave Clawson they won 10 games and a conference title one time in 2013 at BGSU. Their biggest win during this time was over #16 Northern Illinois in the MAC championship game. 

In 1 year with Kelly at ND they were 10-3 with a citrus bowl win over LSU. Their best win was over a #11 USC led by Clay Helton. 

In 4 years with Fisher they had 1 good season at 9-1 in a year with only 1 good opponent which ran over them. Their best win was vs #1 Alabama who played for the CFP championship in 2021. 

In 2 years at Duke he has lost to Kansas, GT, UNC, Pitt, and Virginia who are all 8-4 or worse the last 2 years. His defining win was the worst Clemson team in 13 years. 

In 14 years of being a DC or HC he has finished ranked a grand total of 4 times with one top 10 finish. 

Charlie Strong had twice the resume Mike Elko has. 

I'm hoping for worse than Charlie Strong at Texas. It could happen. We'll see.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Is Sexton also Stoops' agent? If so that Elko deal had to be a hilarious negotiation. Stoops makes $9m so I assume ATM offered something in that ballpark. Then they reneged and offered Elko, but obviously Sexton would know exactly what they were willing to pay Stoops and would probably be pretty pissed at the stunt they pulled. Plus at that point Sexton/Elko had ALL the leverage.

So while normally Elko may have gotten a ~$6m offer from ATM, it's very possible that Sexton was able to push them way higher than that because of the Stoops fiasco.

• Haha 1

I wonder if they are going to tell him to keep any of Jimbo’s coaches.
The official coach’s page has just Elko.
Is he allowed to bring any guys from Duke?
Word around texaggy.com is they're pretty adamant "ERob" has to stay at the very least. No idea if they're going to hamstring him beyond that.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Was just told that Stoops was on a private plane heading for College Station when the BOR backed out of the deal because of the blowback from the BMA's who in turn were monitoring the negativity emanating from Texaggy. They called the plane and had it turn around.

Imagine donating big money to aggy only to get overruled by a couple of TexAgs posters and their sock puppets at midnight on Saturday night.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Was just told that Stoops was on a private plane heading for College Station when the BOR backed out of the deal because of the blowback from the BMA's who in turn were monitoring the negativity emanating from Texaggy. They called the plane and had it turn around.

This coming from a former aggy player that is friends of Liucci, he also mentioned that the reaction was so bad, texaggy was afraid their servers were going to crash.

That can't be true.

Even for aggy.

44 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

This reminds me of the Tom Herman hire based on him beating Oklahoma. Then you go watch that Oklahoma game and OU receivers are running wide open all game and OU is shooting itself in the foot with bad passes. I hated the Sarkisian hire due to his record and his WTF losses at Washington and USC.  Yet the one thing that gave me hope was he attempted to hire Muschamp and then hired PK. The PK hire was good because PKs numbers were good. That was very telling of Sark as a program builder.  So if Elko makes E. Rob the DC and hires buddies as assistants he will be on the Strong and Herman path.

Meh. Herm the worm also beat a good fsu team. Wait was that Jimbos team?

Edited by closetohumping
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, NoName said:

this is a bad trajectory that started in 2016 then truly fell off in 2019

image.png.0f4b95f201de6b4ea7484c8beb55981a.png

idk if he could have sustained the progress but the fact of that matter is that Elko won 9 games in 2022 and they won 10 total in 2019-2021 total

Duke football was historically "Rice in the Southwest Conference" level of terribad, so 8-5 would have been considered an excellent season for them for many years.  I think Cutcliffe got a pass after 2016 based on his results from 2013-15, but yeah, the wheels finally well and truly completely came off starting in 2019.

I concur Elko did a good job with coaching up Cutcliffe's players to a 9-win season in 2022, although he mostly feasted on down teams during his tenure.  He has a pretty thin resume as a head corch, though, so it remains to be seen whether he has what it takes to build a program - especially at one like aggy where they think they should post 10-win seasons every year, contrary to their actual history.  Odds are likely he'll fall short and be shitcanned by 2027, but as they say down in Mexico...vamos a ver.

56 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

"This is not an 8-4 job" - Your historical performance over the past 25 years is 8-4 and you hired a guy that fell short of those middling expectations in the ACC.

Bjork is right, kinda... it is not an 8-4 job. It is a 7-5 job.

Since 2000, w/ 12 years in the B12 and 12 years in the SEC, A&M's record is 176-122, or 7.3 & 5.1, or 7-5. Their record in the B12 was 7-6, and their record in the SEC is 8-4.

They have lost 4 of fewer games in only 8 out of 24 seasons.

Texas A&M            Total Season            
            Season            
Rk    Year    Conf    W    L    Pct    Coach(es)
24    2000    B12    7    5    58.3%    R.C. Slocum (7-5)
23    2001    B12    8    4    66.7%    R.C. Slocum (8-4)
22    2002    B12    6    6    50.0%    R.C. Slocum (6-6)
21    2003    B12    4    8    33.3%    Dennis Franchione (4-8)
20    2004    B12    7    5    58.3%    Dennis Franchione (7-5)
19    2005    B12    5    6    45.5%    Dennis Franchione (5-6)
18    2006    B12    9    4    69.2%    Dennis Franchione (9-4)
17    2007    B12    7    6    53.8%    Dennis Franchione (7-5), Gary Darnell (0-1)
16    2008    B12    4    8    33.3%    Mike Sherman (4-8)
15    2009    B12    6    7    46.2%    Mike Sherman (6-7)
14    2010    B12    9    4    69.2%    Mike Sherman (9-4)
13    2011    B12    7    6    53.8%    Mike Sherman (6-6), Tim DeRuyter (1-0)
12    2012    SEC    11    2    84.6%    Kevin Sumlin (11-2)
11    2013    SEC    9    4    69.2%    Kevin Sumlin (9-4)
10    2014    SEC    8    5    61.5%    Kevin Sumlin (8-5)
9    2015    SEC    8    5    61.5%    Kevin Sumlin (8-5)
8    2016    SEC    8    5    61.5%    Kevin Sumlin (8-5)
7    2017    SEC    7    6    53.8%    Kevin Sumlin (7-5), Jeff Banks (0-1)
6    2018    SEC    9    4    69.2%    Jimbo Fisher (9-4)
5    2019    SEC    8    5    61.5%    Jimbo Fisher (8-5)
4    2020    SEC    9    1    90.0%    Jimbo Fisher (9-1)
3    2021    SEC    8    4    66.7%    Jimbo Fisher (8-4)
2    2022    SEC    5    7    41.7%    Jimbo Fisher (5-7)
1    2023    SEC    7    5    58.3%    Jimbo Fisher (7-4)
            176    122    59.1%    
            7.3    5.1        

B12    79    69    53.4%    
        SEC    97    53    64.7%    
        B12 W %    6.6    5.8    53.4%    
        SEC W %    8.1    4.4    64.7%    

• Haha 3

Official Elko Introduction is in at 4pm CST. Hopefully, they saw the crappy arrival and will at least spring for some confetti and crepe paper. I mean fuck. They treated Stoops like Coyote Ugly. It’s not Stoops nor Elko’s fault aggy extended Jimbo with guaranteed money. They could have gone with “original” plan of waiting to can him after we kick their ass at the end of the regular season next year.  That would have had the entire fan base’s support. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, ousux said:
22 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:
I wonder if they are going to tell him to keep any of Jimbo’s coaches.
The official coach’s page has just Elko.

Word around texaggy.com is they're pretty adamant "ERob" has to stay at the very least. No idea if they're going to hamstring him beyond that.

16 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I can see Elko being perfectly fine with that.

Interesting. The DC at Duke was brought over from A&M. I wonder what happens to Durkin. Interesting times these.

Just now, Nicole44 said:

I love that show soooooo much! 

Some Pre-presser intro of Elko “stuff”:

That last one is a bit alarming! He’s floating! 

IMG_8239.jpeg

How many FCS schools does that include? Games against teams that fired their coaches that season? Games against South Carolina, Vandy, et al?

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Would Duke notice?  This was floating around the socials

Duke sports media: "You leaving coach?"

Elko: "Yeah."

Media: "Okay."

Media: “Will this affect basketball”

Elko: "It has nothing to do with basketball"

Media: “Elko said a bunch of stuff but he wouldn't talk about basketball. Was he the right hire?”

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Interesting. The DC at Duke was brought over from A&M. I wonder what happens to Durkin. Interesting times these.

Considering that player at Maryland died on his watch, I'm hoping it's far away from football...maybe managing a Cinnabon in Omaha or something.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Would Duke notice?  This was floating around the socials

Duke sports media: "You leaving coach?"

Elko: "Yeah."

Media: "Okay."

Media: “Will this affect basketball”

Elko: "It has nothing to do with basketball"

Media: “Elko said a bunch of stuff but he wouldn't talk about basketball. Was he the right hire?”

I bet if he ate one of their basketball players they’d notice.