2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

13 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sort of related to us, going forward at least...

"Oregon: Texas A&M associate AD for football Marshall Malchow is headed to join Dan Lanning's staff at Oregon as chief of staff sources tell FootballScoop. Pete Thamel first shared the news this evening. Malchow previously served as director of player personnel at Georgia (with Dan Lanning) where he was recognized by his peers as the Player Personnel director of the year."

@SydneyCarton @closetojumping

I was wondering if Lanning would poach any of Aggy's UGA infrastructure guys. Didn't expect it to be the main one though, that's big. Although I guess he's already gotten it set up for them. Wouldn't be surprised if Nick Williams or any others follow

subtle hints here it seems 

Humidor: 

*Stan Drayton taking the Temple head coaching job not only opens up the Texas running backs room, it might have a domino effect elsewhere. We’ll go into greater detail in the coming days.

IT hasn’t heard of potential replacements but we don’t believe Director of Player Personnel Brandon Harris is a viable option. Drayton may have interest in Harris, actually.

We have heard Sark wants to upgrade recruiting and get a little younger at the position, or any other offensive positions that might open up. Now, if an elite RB coach fell into their lap, that might change the “get younger” calculus. When a job opens up at a school like Texas, you never know who might reach out. Coaches know Texas will pay and Sark is known to be a good coach to work for.

5 minutes ago, LarryMoeSurly said:

I don’t get the push for Marion. He has no ties to the area and his strength relies on a system that Sark isn’t going to adopt. 

I believe it has all been media driven/throwing names around with him thus far. I think it's just that he is an up and coming coach who has a lot of buzz around him right now. It seems more likely he ends up as an OC somewhere smaller.

If its all about recruiting, Tee Martin is a name to watch for the WR job, I know that he's in the NFL but he and Sark are buddies. I have absolutely no clue who would be an instant impact, youthful, volume recruiter type RB coach hire other than Samples, but im sure there are more out there. I know we all believe it but it needs to be said again and again Coleman needs to go, he had more to sell than any other offensive position group and the haul that we ended up with is unacceptable at a school like Texas.

A part of me wishes Sark would do like Napier did at Florida and just name himself QB coach. Milwee seems great, especially if he pulls Arch here in a coupe of months, but we could potentially add another ace recruiter or GP on Defense if he was not taking up a staff position. I wonder what his value is if he's only bringing in one guy per cycle.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

If its all about recruiting, Tee Martin is a name to watch for the WR job, I know that he's in the NFL but he and Sark are buddies. I have absolutely no clue who would be an instant impact, youthful, volume recruiter type RB coach hire other than Samples, but im sure there are more out there. I know we all believe it but it needs to be said again and again Coleman needs to go, he had more to sell than any other offensive position group and the haul that we ended up with is unacceptable at a school like Texas.

A part of me wishes Sark would do like Napier did at Florida and just name himself QB coach. Milwee seems great, especially if he pulls Arch here in a coupe of months, but we could potentially add another ace recruiter or GP on Defense if he was not taking up a staff position. I wonder what his value is if he's only bringing in one guy per cycle.

My guess is his value comes from coaching the QBs

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Agreed, but Sark is so heavily involved that I question the true value. Sark runs the offense and leads the QB meetings. Can a GA not run QB drills?

My guess is Milwee is more heavily involved in the offense, as well as QB recruiting and coaching, than you are suggesting.  Given that the OC seems to be just an OL coach with a fancy title, my guess is that Sark needs someone he trusts and that really knows his system to help out with coordinating the offense.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I think it is tough for a HC to coach a position. He gets pulled away a lot. He may need to bounce around. If he was at WR or TE, I would be 100% with that. I think QB is tough and you want someone more qualified working there. . OL seems similar to me and Pittman and Crystobal have fulltime OL coaches. Just my opinion, I could be wrong

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think it is tough for a HC to coach a position. He gets pulled away a lot. He may need to bounce around. If he was at WR or TE, I would be 100% with that. I think QB is tough and you want someone more qualified working there. . OL seems similar to me and Pittman and Crystobal have fulltime OL coaches. Just my opinion, I could be wrong

I mean it’s actually not un ordinary. Sark and Day are the only two I can think of. Napier, Mullen, Leach, and Riley all are head coaches who call plays and coach QB’s.

42 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

My guess is Milwee is more heavily involved in the offense, as well as QB recruiting and coaching, than you are suggesting.  Given that the OC seems to be just an OL coach with a fancy title, my guess is that Sark needs someone he trusts and that really knows his system to help out with coordinating the offense.

This. Sark talked at Alabama about how important Milwee was to his game planning and play-calling (Milwee being the guy up in the box). Sark clearly thinks he is an important part of his offensive success and is willing to sacrifice recruiting from that position (likely why Banks was such an important hire and being paid so much). 

But what that means is that Sark is going to have to replace Stan and possibly Coleman with better/more enthusiastic recruiters. 

Any interest in Julian Griffin? Small time right now but could be a guy for us later. I get the sentiment that we need a volume recruiter that can get 5*s in but I like this dude if we can get him when he moves on from utsa.

And these glasses fuck

https://goutsa.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/julian-griffin/1186

15 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Any interest in Julian Griffin? Small time right now but could be a guy for us later. I get the sentiment that we need a volume recruiter that can get 5*s in but I like this dude if we can get him when he moves on from utsa.

And these glasses fuck

https://goutsa.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/julian-griffin/1186

I'd rather hire Traylor, he'd kill it on this staff.

11 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

UTSA? Ha. It would be more like hiring Choate away from Montana State to coach your linebackers 

UTSA is FBS, Montana St. is FCS. It is not the same. Not to mention the exact vacancy exists due to a coach departing for a HC gig at FBS level.

Edited by Rokotosh

2 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

The referenced post likened hiring Traylor as a position coach to doing the same with Nick Fucking Saban so keep your strawman to yourself bud

Exactly. UTSA and Alabama were both top 25 teams at some points this year, while Montana State would be 137 or something?

Further more Choate more than doubled his salary while Traylor would would be taking less money