Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You can’t be this dense.  I live in the same earning bracket as this twat and would never live in OK/TX.  We have gone over that ad nauseam.  Point is people wanted him gone - check that OSU game thread - and he left like a bitch after plotting it all season. Underhanded through and through.  He was flying around midweek making excuses for not coaching.  If you don’t know how he left, or you see how he left, and have no problem with that, then I can’t help your dumb ass.  Everyone is glad he’s gone.  Soft motherfucker.  Hell, the vast majority of UT fans on here even agree.  

you know its possible to agree he's a little bitch and say "yeah, there is a reason he left" and also believe he's an incredible offensive coaching mind. i believe all 3 of those are right.

its the acting like a jilted lover that i don't get, especially from you guys. if he was so shit, then be happy he's gone! but don't go follow him to his new girlfriends house and sit outside yelling about how shitty of a dude he is. just let him be gone and laugh at his misfortune.

it was dumb when FSU fans came to Aggie boards and started talking about how shit he was and it's dumb when OU fans do the same with USC boards. i saw a stat that said in the USC/ND gamethread on reddit there were more comments in the post made by OU flairs than USC flairs.

it's ok. if you think you guys are better off, let him go be a little bitch elsewhere. who knows maybe BV will want to be there for 15 years!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

you know its possible to agree he's a little bitch and say "yeah, there is a reason he left" and also believe he's an incredible offensive coaching mind. i believe all 3 of those are right.

its the acting like a jilted lover that i don't get, especially from you guys. if he was so shit, then be happy he's gone! but don't go follow him to his new girlfriends house and sit outside yelling about how shitty of a dude he is. just let him be gone and laugh at his misfortune.

it was dumb when FSU fans came to Aggie boards and started talking about how shit he was and it's dumb when OU fans do the same with USC boards. i saw a stat that said in the USC/ND gamethread on reddit there were more comments in the post made by OU flairs than USC flairs.

it's ok. if you think you guys are better off, let him go be a little bitch elsewhere. who knows maybe BV will want to be there for 15 years!

I think it's more like an ex you're glad is gone but she shit in your bed and maxed out your credit cards before she left.  You're glad she's gone but still bitter as hell over how she did it.

Damn, I do not like defending sooners.  That felt bad.

• Haha 1

Texas made a really good hire in 1998. OU made a great hire in 1999. OU had better to significantly better coaching than Texas from 1999-2021 (until evidence to the contrary comes in, I’ll assume Riley is better than Sark, and I like Sark). This 23 year span convinced a lot of Sooners that there is something in the water in OKC that makes football players faster and more aggressive.  

There isn’t. UT has advantages that OU doesn’t- Austin is a more attractive college town than OKC, Texas has a more vibrant economy, state pride matters when recruiting Texans (Stoops was pissed that Mack was able to recruit that 2005 team while OU was owning UT), more degree status. OU has advantages over UT; the primary one is that the university subordinates everything to football success (this is Ohio State’s secret sauce, too). OU has made shitty hires; what sets them apart is in how quickly they move them along. 

I think it was shitty the way Riley swiped his best Sooner players to follow him to USC, too. Tell me this- at what point in his tenure at OU was he instructed on recruiting and roster building ethics?

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

Check who repped you.....

6 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

wait title GIF

Still waiting on the explanation of how college coaches hiring works? 

Coaching works the same as the draft does. "We think you will do this during your tenure here so we are paying you this". Whether or not they accomplish the goal remains to be seen. It's all based on potential. Some of the "overpaid" coaches got that because the school was scared they might get poached.

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You can’t be this dense.  I live in the same earning bracket as this twat and would never live in OK/TX.  We have gone over that ad nauseam.  Point is people wanted him gone - check that OSU game thread - and he left like a bitch after plotting it all season. Underhanded through and through.  He was flying around midweek making excuses for not coaching.  If you don’t know how he left, or you see how he left, and have no problem with that, then I can’t help your dumb ass.  Everyone is glad he’s gone.  Soft motherfucker.  Hell, the vast majority of UT fans on here even agree.  

While I can appreciate LR's play design/calling that is but one facet of his job. His main job is HC, and that entails making sure both sides of the ball are competent. I won't lie when I say as a Horn I wasn't happy to see him go. You guys were potent offensively but your defense would always allow for a opening to beat you. There is nothing more frustrating than an "almost there" guy. Those kind of guys are hard to fire. If I were you I would be glad he is gone too. That's what Tom Herman was going to be. We dodged a bullet there too.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

While I can appreciate LR's play design/calling that is but one facet of his job. His main job is HC, and that entails making sure both sides of the ball are competent. I won't lie when I say as a Horn I wasn't happy to see him go. You guys were potent offensively but your defense would always allow for an opening to beat you. There is nothing more frustrating than an "almost there" guy. Those kind of guys are hard to fire. If I were you I would be glad he is gone too. That's what Tom Herman was going to be. We dodged a bullet there too.

Honestly mentally being so close but knowing he wasn’t going to get you there was so frustrating - you nailed it.  

5-6 was easier mentally because you’re like ok, I’ll just check out.  Fine w me.  I’ve seen that around here at times.  People are relieved to just checkout.  And I prob care a lot less than many fans.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, statsman said:

Texas made a really good hire in 1998. OU made a great hire in 1999. OU had better to significantly better coaching than Texas from 1999-2021 (until evidence to the contrary comes in, I’ll assume Riley is better than Sark, and I like Sark). This 23 year span convinced a lot of Sooners that there is something in the water in OKC that makes football players faster and more aggressive.  

There isn’t. UT has advantages that OU doesn’t- Austin is a more attractive college town than OKC, Texas has a more vibrant economy, state pride matters when recruiting Texans (Stoops was pissed that Mack was able to recruit that 2005 team while OU was owning UT), more degree status. OU has advantages over UT; the primary one is that the university subordinates everything to football success (this is Ohio State’s secret sauce, too). OU has made shitty hires; what sets them apart is in how quickly they move them along. 

I think it was shitty the way Riley swiped his best Sooner players to follow him to USC, too. Tell me this- at what point in his tenure at OU was he instructed on recruiting and roster building ethics?

You make a bunch of great points.  I’m clueless on why he’s so bad at recruiting outside of WR/QB.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You make a bunch of great points.  I’m clueless on why he’s so bad at recruiting outside of WR/QB.  

idk specifically if this is it but he always seemed to have the best recruits they were focusing on on the offensive side and IIRC his classes were pretty uneven between Offense and Defense.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

idk specifically if this is it but he always seemed to have the best recruits they were focusing on on the offensive side and IIRC his classes were pretty uneven between Offense and Defense.

Not just that but on offense it was heavily tilted towards the skill positions to the point it skewed the ranks of the total class.  OU was an NFL factory on offense.  Five star recruits became AA's that became early round picks that became good NFL players.  On defense, it was a bunch of 3 star guys who were late round picks at best.

31 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think it comes down to quality of assistants in most cases.  His best recruiter by far was always Cale Gundy, and that gift predated him by two decades.  Bedenbaugh is an excellent coach and evaluator, but is not a headhunter on the recruiting trail.  I also wonder if Riley's skills as a coordinator make it hard for him to identify and teach those things to other coaches on staff.

It goes back to why transcendent athletes are often poor coaches.  It's impossible for a Wayne Gretzky to teach someone to play like he played, and he has no idea how to maximize the talent or adjust around the skills of those around him outside of being a player himself.  Extend that one level higher to transcendent coaches.  Imagine Lincoln giving advice to a young DBs coach or DC like "Just perfectly remember what worked best in this situation the last twenty plays and call a perfectly disguised coverage to bait the offense into going to your strength."  Great, but what if that coach doesn't have the eidetic memory and intuition about tendencies that Riley has for the offense??

Now Riley's lost the teachers, the evaluators, the planners, and the trainers that all build upon each other's work to make a complete team.  He's relying on himself and another generational talent to make up for it all, and if QB1 isn't absolutely note perfect every snap, then Saturday happens.

• Hook 'Em 2

Also, I remember some X's and O's type breaking down OU's problems when they had Spencer Rattler.  If you remember, the run game completely went to shit at one point and no one knew why being that running was a staple of LR's offense.  They broke down the bread and butter of LR's offense, which is the Counter Trey pulling the guard and tackle:

counter-trey-run-game-spread-offense-102

In short, they said if the QB isn't a legitimate run/pass threat, the defense can just crash down to where the play is going being that the QB isn't a threat to keep.  In short, unless you have an elite run/pass guy who does both at an elite level, the whole thing falls apart.  Teams were simply dropping 7-8 guys at one point and just flooding that play direction.  LR didn't know how to adjust so he just threw CW in during the Texas game.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Also, I remember some X's and O's type breaking down OU's problems when they had Spencer Rattler.  If you remember, the run game completely went to shit at one point and no one knew why being that running was a staple of LR's offense.  They broke down the bread and butter of LR's offense, which is the Counter Trey pulling the guard and tackle:

counter-trey-run-game-spread-offense-102

In short, they said if the QB isn't a legitimate run/pass threat, the defense can just crash down to where the play is going being that the QB isn't a threat to keep.  In short, unless you have an elite run/pass guy who does both at an elite level, the whole thing falls apart.  Teams were simply dropping 7-8 guys at one point and just flooding that play direction.  LR didn't know how to adjust so he just threw CW in during the Texas game.

Well, it doesn't matter what running play you are using when you add a read to it you are effectively taking one player off the field on defense because they are always going to be wrong. That said, counter trey(or gt counter) has been around long before the Caleb Williams' of the world, and should still work as it is meant to get numbers on one side of the field. In this case the backside DE whom they are reading shouldn't be able to chase down the play from behind regardless if the QB isn't a runner.  For Riley, the problem is his teams aren't physical. No matter what they run. When USC runs up against capable, physical defenses linemen are pulling and getting stood up. People aren't defeating their blocks. They are just losing at the point of attack. Case in point, vs ND USC RBs ran 20 times for 73 yards which is 3.65 yards per. That is already bad, but when you add in that of those 73 yards there was one big 31 yard run that makes it 19 carries for 42 yards, or 2.2 per. That's horrible. Notre Dame is 51st in rushing yards allowed per game.

• Hook 'Em 2

Wouldn't he need the owners to vote to allow him to be a partial owner because you can't be both (player and owner)?

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/tom-bradys-path-to-owner-player-isnt-as-complex-as-previously-believed

As reported earlier today by TMZ.com, and as the league has confirmed to PFT, Brady needs 24 owners to approve his purchase of the Raiders and then, if he would want to play for the Raiders, only 24 votes to do so -- not 32.

That’s a huge difference. Instead of only one team being able to keep Brady from playing while owning, at least nine teams would have to oppose the move.

Said a league spokesman via email to PFT: “Any ownership transaction, such as an individual purchasing a limited partnership, would need an affirmative vote of 3/4ths of the teams (24 of 32). The 32 clubs would have to consider a limited partner playing in the league and take a vote that would need 3/4th approval for him or her to be permitted to play.”

I guess he could go to Green Bay then? 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Not just that but on offense it was heavily tilted towards the skill positions to the point it skewed the ranks of the total class.  OU was an NFL factory on offense.  Five star recruits became AA's that became early round picks that became good NFL players.  On defense, it was a bunch of 3 star guys who were late round picks at best.

Riley’s tenure there were 6 defensive players drafted in the first 3 rounds, we had 5 in the same period lol. I don’t like Riley at all but him not winning a title came down to playing really fucking good LSU, Georgia and Alabama teams. 55-10 at Oklahoma, including 5-1 against us and 4 big 12 titles. If @ChiTownDoc wants to hate on him I’m fine with it but Texas fans should praise God he left. Id sacrifice all of surly right now to have a run like that. Oh and he had two heisman winners. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Wouldn't he need the owners to vote to allow him to be a partial owner because you can't be both (player and owner)?

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/tom-bradys-path-to-owner-player-isnt-as-complex-as-previously-believed

I guess he could go to Green Bay then? 

Beyond that there is a slotted rookie wage scale in the CBA, and that is something the NFLPA has no desire to reverse.  They want less money available for rookies not more.  So unless he plans on going undrafted his rookie salary is already set.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I'll take THINGS WHICH ARE NEVER EVER FUCKING GOING TO HAPPEN for $1000, Alex.

Everyone thinks this guy is going to be a home run in the league. I keep thinking he's going to flame out, lacking mental toughness and enough humility to realize he has to earn his stripes. What the fuck do I know though? I'd likely get fired for being the GM who passed on him, but I can't see making that pick right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Riley’s tenure there were 6 defensive players drafted in the first 3 rounds, we had 5 in the same period lol. I don’t like Riley at all but him not winning a title came down to playing really fucking good LSU, Georgia and Alabama teams. 55-10 at Oklahoma, including 5-1 against us and 4 big 12 titles. If @ChiTownDoc wants to hate on him I’m fine with it but Texas fans should praise God he left. Id sacrifice all of surly right now to have a run like that. Oh and he had two heisman winners. 

That says more about us than it says about Riley

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

That says more about us than it says about Riley

The last time we won 4 conference titles in a row (we won 6 in a row actually) was in 1968 lol. If Riley doesn’t leave then Caleb Williams is still there and he likely wins his 5th title in a row which would have made 7 in a row instead of 6 for those women beaters. We like to think we are a football school, but those fuckers actually are. It is what it is 

1 hour ago, Rio Don said:

Everyone thinks this guy is going to be a home run in the league. I keep thinking he's going to flame out, lacking mental toughness and enough humility to realize he has to earn his stripes. What the fuck do I know though? I'd likely get fired for being the GM who passed on him, but I can't see making that pick right now.

Thats what they said about John Elway

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

The last time we won 4 conference titles in a row (we won 6 in a row actually) was in 1968 lol. If Riley doesn’t leave then Caleb Williams is still there and he likely wins his 5th title in a row which would have made 7 in a row instead of 6 for those women beaters. We like to think we are a football school, but those fuckers actually are. It is what it is 

The only reason those guys keep winning is because of our own ineptitude. Mack Brown was an "almost" coach at Carolina. He was exactly that here until VY got him over the hump. We hired a couple guys who weren't what we thought they would be. One was good at a G5 it looks because of his QB. The other one took over a program that was ready to go and we hired him 1.5 yrs into his tenure, not knowing whether or not he could recruit or truly coach. Meanwhile OU groomed Riley right under Stoops. Probably let him take the reigns here and there to see if he could handle it.

I'm not going to search posts to find it, but I remember @ChiTownDoc expressing this sentiment and being confident OU wouldn't slip much when Riley left. He's definitely been consistent on this issue. 

Riley is clearly one of the top offensive minds in football, but he had all these same issues during his OU tenure and imported them with him unchanged. 

USC fans expectation when hiring him was that Riley would at least come close to replicating Pete Carroll's run. After Helton's tenure, they will not be patient with Riley on this.

If Riley doesn't go NFL, or replace Grinch and Wylie in the offseason, his seat will become white hot next season without Caleb Williams. 

I think Riley is going to try like hell to go to the NFL.

He certainly isn't recruiting like he intends to stay at USC. 

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

If so, why do all y'all sound like whiny, jilted girlfriends about him all the time?

Bc the way he left.  Leaving the coaching to his assistants to go meet in SoCal.  Taking Stoops formula and getting the credit.  You sound like a dumbfuck.  Are you 12?  

I run a company.  If you get paid and are useless then leave I get pissed.  Imagine the toilet you clean for a living doing that to you? Yeah.  Glad you get it.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

If so, why do all y'all sound like whiny, jilted girlfriends about him all the time?

1 hour ago, Pods said:

I'm not going to search posts to find it, but I remember @ChiTownDoc expressing this sentiment and being confident OU wouldn't slip much when Riley left. He's definitely been consistent on this issue. 

Riley is clearly one of the top offensive minds in football, but he had all these same issues during his OU tenure and imported them with him unchanged. 

USC fans expectation when hiring him was that Riley would at least come close to replicating Pete Carroll's run. After Helton's tenure, they will not be patient with Riley on this.

If Riley doesn't go NFL, or replace Grinch and Wylie in the offseason, his seat will become white hot next season without Caleb Williams. 

Yep.  It’s here.  I’ll send $500 to whoever finds it.  I said I wanted him gone in the OSU game thread.  Point blank.  

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

No one squanders advantage in a rigged game like Texas football over the past 75 years.

Meh.  All our younger cousins and nieces etc. We want them to go to UT if not an ivy.  Imo UT can have both football success and the academic accolades but if you’re gonna do one, they picked the right one. 

But it’s fun talking shit around here.  

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep.  It’s here.  I’ll send $500 to whoever finds it.  I said I wanted him gone in the OSU game thread.  Point blank.  

That narrowed it down a ton.

"I'll pay for his movers and send a nice thank you card. Good guy.  Just not the guy we need in the SEC. "

Seems pretty definitive. 

Meh.  All our younger cousins and nieces etc. We want them to go to UT if not an ivy.  Imo UT can have both football success and the academic accolades but if you’re gonna do one, they picked the right one. 

But it’s fun talking shit around here.  

Fair enough. But it doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive.

Academics and everything else aside, the simple reality is that no other organization does less with a bigger built in advantage on the football field. No matter how bad we all (well maybe not you) want it to be different, it isn’t.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

If Riley takes an NFL job next year, does SC go after Venables? They stole OU's coach once, so why not again? That would be hilarious!

https://www.si.com/college/usc/football/rumors-lincoln-riley-reportedly-showing-interest-in-nfl-head-coaching-jobs-jf1989

If that happens, they should go after Lanning. Probably an upgrade at head coach with the added benefit of screwing over an in-conference rival. 

31 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I don't expect them to outbid Phil Knight.

Word is Phil doesn't care as much as many would guess.  Point being if he really did they'd never have had an issue worrying about the B1G etc.  But you're damn right, if Phil decided he wanted Lanning to stay, USC can go fuck themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Word is Phil doesn't care as much as many would guess.  Point being if he really did they'd never have had an issue worrying about the B1G etc.  But you're damn right, if Phil decided he wanted Lanning to stay, USC can go fuck themselves. 

yeah on this front i tend to agree that people think hes out here like Red McCoombs and Joe Jamail but he isn't THAT into football specifically.

but the dude absolutely cares so much about the school, and will leave the school a ton but who knows what happens specifically with athletics on that front.

On 10/18/2023 at 8:02 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

On 10/18/2023 at 8:38 PM, Pods said:

On 10/18/2023 at 10:00 PM, Pods said:

That narrowed it down a ton.

"I'll pay for his movers and send a nice thank you card. Good guy.  Just not the guy we need in the SEC. "

Seems pretty definitive. 

LINCOLNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3