Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

he has to be looking to get out of there....he left from OU because he knew he would have issues in the SEC SEC SEC....I do not think the Big 10 is near as tough as people make it out to be, but the fact is 3 teams are going to get the benefit of the doubt 100% of the time and what USC runs with lr is not set up to play in the Big 10.....not to mention the recruiting issues playing in the shit half of the conference and playing conference games a long ways from home against teams that traditional recruits that would go to USC do not give a shit about

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So at what point does Williams just decide to shut it down for the season? If he is probably thinking that since he is officially out of the CFP and the Heisman, what is playing for?

I’d jump into the portal. Just kidding no idea. But it’s one way to assure he’s safe and sound until the draft. I’m kidding ok. But it would be funny to see that headline. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So at what point does Williams just decide to shut it down for the season? If he is probably thinking that since he is officially out of the CFP and the Heisman, what is playing for?

He will be the biggest bust in recent history. He is RG3 2.0. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That comp makes zero sense. 

Caleb is the real deal. He's going to be very good in the NFL. 

His backyard football won't work against the best football players in the world. Ask Manziel how well that worked out for him. Caleb relies too much on his physical gifts as opposed to taking what the defense gives him, and that typically does not result in a long NFL career. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, z009 said:

His backyard football won't work against the best football players in the world. Ask Manziel how well that worked out for him. Caleb relies too much on his physical gifts as opposed to taking what the defense gives him, and that typically does not result in a long NFL career. 

A certain KC QB has relied a lot on "backyard football", seems to be working okay for him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, z009 said:

Hey man I appreciate you trying to enter the fray here but you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. You're comparing Caleb Williams to Johnny Manziel. I wouldn't even know where to begin to describe how dumb that is. 

Have a nice night I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

A certain KC QB has relied a lot on "backyard football", seems to be working okay for him. 

They also both padded their stats against shitty teams, laid a few eggs against good teams, and had horrible defenses.

Just now, ztejas said:

Hey man I appreciate you trying to enter the fray here but you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. You're comparing Caleb Williams to Johnny Manziel. I wouldn't even know where to begin to describe how dumb that is. 

Have a nice night I guess. 

Both won Heismans and were on top of the CFB world. Both were known for making something out of nothing with their physical talents. 

9 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Mahomes is more of an outlier as opposed to the norm. That style of quarterback typically does not succeed in the NFL.

On 10/18/2023 at 7:41 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Bc the way he left.  Leaving the coaching to his assistants to go meet in SoCal.  Taking Stoops formula and getting the credit.  You sound like a dumbfuck.  Are you 12?  

I run a company.  If you get paid and are useless then leave I get pissed.  Imagine the toilet you clean for a living doing that to you? Yeah.  Glad you get it.  

I’m usually happy when the useless people leave and get off the payroll.

3 minutes ago, Burt said:

They also both padded their stats against shitty teams, laid a few eggs against good teams, and had horrible defenses.

Yeah, I don't know how you can judge the quality of an offensive player from an NFL lens if all they've played against are Pac 12 and Big 12 defenses. 

9 minutes ago, z009 said:

Both won Heismans and were on top of the CFB world. Both were known for making something out of nothing with their physical talents. 

Bro are you like 13 years old? You're coming across as a complete fucking dumbass right now. If you can't understand how Caleb is a no doubt #1 draft prospect then you need to take a step back and evaluate your knowledge of the game. 

7 minutes ago, z009 said:

Yeah, I don't know how you can judge the quality of an offensive player from an NFL lens if all they've played against are Pac 12 and Big 12 defenses. 

Just like Mahomes. 

Or Allen.

Yeah you're a regular fucking scouting genius. 

7 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I’m usually happy when the useless people leave and get off the payroll.

Yeah I don't get it, either.  I don't care one whit about Tom Herman, Charlie Strong, or Mack Brown except to say that Mack was personally very nice to me, so I wish him well.  I certainly don't go onto the fan boards of wherever they're coaching and crap on them.  They Sooners say it's the way he left but it's actually that he dared leave and take a better job in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, ztejas said:

Bro are you like 13 years old? You're coming across as a complete fucking dumbass right now. If you can't understand how Caleb is a no doubt #1 draft prospect then you need to take a step back and evaluate your knowledge of the game. 

So you're saying Manziel wasn't an elite player in college? He was the biggest story in the sport at the time. I obviously don't know the future, but I'm simply pointing out that while NFL scouts love QBs like Caleb, they typically don't pan out. I could be completely wrong and he could be the next Mahomes. 

1 minute ago, z009 said:

So you're saying Manziel wasn't an elite player in college? He was the biggest story in the sport at the time. I obviously don't know the future, but I'm simply pointing out that while NFL scouts love QBs like Caleb, they typically don't pan out. I could be completely wrong and he could be the next Mahomes. 

Hey man - I'm not trying to be a dick. I bet you're young - maybe a current UT student. I've liked some of your posts. 

Manziel and Williams are vastly different NFL prospects. Manziel was a flashy, gamey guy that was a baller but that ultimately lacked any relevant NFL skills.

Caleb Williams is a ridiculous passing talent. The kid is sick as fucking shit. He's going first in the draft no matter what and for a good reason. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Hey man - I'm not trying to be a dick. I bet you're young - maybe a current UT student. I've liked some of your posts. 

Manziel and Williams are vastly different NFL prospects. Manziel was a flashy, gamey guy that was a baller but that ultimately lacked any relevant NFL skills.

Caleb Williams is a ridiculous passing talent. The kid is sick as fucking shit. He's going first in the draft no matter what and for a good reason. 

I think Caleb is really good based on what he's done so far. He has a rare elusiveness for a QB along with his great pocket awareness. If he can build on that, he will have the potential to have a solid to great NFL career.

Manziel was lucky to have. Mike Evan’s
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

He’s screwed either way because of my Bears will have the top 2 draft picks.

I can't see the Chicago giving up on Fields, right? He's seriously showing he has the talent, but has 1 WR. If they start Caleb, is he going to block for himself while also catching his own passes? I know NFL owners and GM's are dumb as rocks, but Fields is a good QB. I would hope Chicago would get some offensive help for Fields like Harrison (who is absolutely deserving of a top 3 pick, and I think Chicago has two of the top 3 picks don't they?). Get Harrison and some linemen for Fields 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

The Bears will kick Fields to the curb in a heartbeat for CW and hope they can get a mid-late round pick for Fields in a trade. If Chicago came out of the '24 draft with Williams and Harrison then this season is a massive success. Personally I think the NFL comp for Williams is Kyler Murray. He'll flash, make some wow plays and maybe even take a moribund team to the playoffs. But his diva, "me first" ways will result in him being a click bait QB.

Riley should enjoy his dry as fuck brisket with an extra plate of dicks. His window for an NFL job is closing rapidly, and he's probably now considered the 3rd or 4th best coach in the PAC. Lulz.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Agree that Manziel had limited skills, but what destroyed his NFL shot was his immaturity, refusal to learn, and the fact that he treated his body like shit, with the drugs, alcohol and partying. Williams may or may not be a successful NFL QB, but he's got a shot in part because he doesn't appear to be a total dumbass like Manziel. 

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

The Bears will kick Fields to the curb in a heartbeat for CW and hope they can get a mid-late round pick for Fields in a trade. If Chicago came out of the '24 draft with Williams and Harrison then this season is a massive success. Personally I think the NFL comp for Williams is Kyler Murray. He'll flash, make some wow plays and maybe even take a moribund team to the playoffs. But his diva, "me first" ways will result in him being a click bait QB.

Riley should enjoy his dry as fuck brisket with an extra plate of dicks. His window for an NFL job is closing rapidly, and he's probably now considered the 3rd or 4th best coach in the PAC. Lulz.

Love it.  Next year even my worst enemies have to admit at the very least I’m the third best coach in the PAC. Whoop!

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Haha 1

I think CW’s NFL success is directly tied to who coaches him. He gets an Andy Reid type who can adjust his offensive philosophy to his new young player skill set he will do fine.

He gets a head case like Shanahan who really did not get what RGIII was really all about he is fucked.

• Like 1

I saw Williams play live in person a couple of weeks ago in Boulder. He’s built like a cinder block and made 5-7 throws that nobody else in college could make and made it look pretty damn easy.  His one pick was a broken play where his WR was open way down field, but angle of the play meant Peak Aaron Rodgers couldn’t have put enough juice on the throw and the safety came under it to intercept it.  He looked like a top NFL prospect the whole way.  

His oline sucks this year which is contributing to USC’s overall issues. My concern for him would be potential attitude issues, but dude could just be bored. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I can't see the Chicago giving up on Fields, right? He's seriously showing he has the talent, but has 1 WR. If they start Caleb, is he going to block for himself while also catching his own passes? I know NFL owners and GM's are dumb as rocks, but Fields is a good QB. I would hope Chicago would get some offensive help for Fields like Harrison (who is absolutely deserving of a top 3 pick, and I think Chicago has two of the top 3 picks don't they?). Get Harrison and some linemen for Fields 

I'm his coach in the 2023 fantasy football season and Fields fucking sucks. 

Also, when Riley goes to the NFL, all SC needs to do is build a church in that godless hellscape. If they build it, he will come... 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Plaschke not only going in dry; he pulled it out, cleaned it off and went in dry a second time:

The white jerseys of Utah weren’t supposed to be dancing across the Coliseum field while the cardinal jerseys of the USC were doubled over in tears.

The rollicking Coliseum crowd was not supposed to alter its cheers to boos, then jeers, then stunned silence.

The Trojans were supposed to win games like this, a Pac-12 home showdown with the defending conference champs, a grudge match against a team that beat them twice last season, a monumental moment.

This is why they hired Lincoln Riley, right?

Yet on a brutal Saturday night, their $10-million-a-year coach’s promise of a championship culture once again crumpled like a cheap suit.

Riley failed the moment. He failed the Trojans. He failed the Coliseum. He is failing this season.

The Utes’ 34-32 victory on a last-second field goal by Cole Becker was just the latest example of how, in the second year of Riley’s revival tour, the Trojans are rapidly and reprehensibly regressing.

After 22 games as USC coach, Riley is 17-5.

After 22 games as USC coach, Clay Helton was 17-5.

Spoiler

Chew on that one while you gnaw at a second consecutive loss that removes the Trojans from national championship contention while also probably ending their conference title hopes.

No team has ever qualified for the College Football Playoff semifinals with two losses, so that ends that. And, what, this team is going to beat Washington and Oregon on consecutive Saturdays to advance to the conference championship game? Fat chance.

“As gut wrenching a defeat as I can remember in my career,” said Riley afterward in a press conference room filled with the loud music coming from the celebratory Utah locker room.

Gut wrenching? Didn’t you just experience one of these …last week? In that national embarrassment at Notre Dame?

Riley added, “This is when you get tested as a coach and a leader.”

By any measure of Saturday’s debacle, he is flunking that test.

First, he is flunking a defense that has been horribly mismanaged by his buddy Alex Grinch yet is continually supported by Riley. This time, the dazed and confused unit allowed a toothless Utah offense to drive 54 yards in less than two minutes to set up the winning 38-yard field goal. The drive was fueled by a reckless roughing and targeting penalty against Bear Alexander and an inexcusable 26-yard scramble by third-string quarterback Bryson Barnes.

This same defense allowed the Utes to gain a season-high 482 yards while equaling their season high in points. And yet Riley continues to endorse Grinch while scolding those who can’t see what he has repeatedly called an improving unit.

“If our fight stays like it would be tonight, we’ll have a shot obviously against anybody.” Riley said.

Who is he kidding? After leading 14-7 early, the Trojans “fought” their way to a 28-14 deficit against the Utes, then only came back thanks to Calen Bullock’s interception return for a touchdown and a score set up by Zachariah Branch’s 61-yard punt return.

There was no consistent fight anywhere on the field Saturday. There were only mistakes, missteps and confusion.

“It was a good heavyweight battle,” said Riley, yet his team filled with all-star transfers more closely resembles a lightweight.

Riley is also flunking an offense where defending Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Caleb Williams seems disconnected and the playcalling seems just plain weird.

Williams, who had already blown his chances at a second Heisman, failed to throw a touchdown pass for the first time as a Trojan while absorbing four sacks and making several bad throws. It surely doesn’t help him that Riley refuses to stick with a running game that works. Witness the fact that Marshawn Lloyd scored on a 45-yard run in the first quarter and yet only carried the ball seven times the entire game.

“At times we ran it well, at times we got stuffed,” Riley said, adding, “I had a couple of calls certainly I’d love to have back.”

He also presided over two failed two-point conversion attempts that were the epitome of mass confusion, each one resulting in a failed Williams pass over a crowded end zone.

“My job is to get better just like everybody else,” Riley said. “I’ve had, I think, an OK track record in calling plays. Confident in my ability and our ability to do that, but we’ve got to be better for each other.”

Finally, Riley is also flunking the important realm of public perception. Like every football coach, he controls the team’s media access, so it falls on him that for the first time in memory Saturday, no USC players were made available for postgame interviews.

So much for public accountability. So much for public responsibility. So much for answering to a passionate fan base that has plenty of questions.

Many of the Trojans are paid well, with Williams making millions. Connecting with their fans is part of the job. By presiding over this latest shame just weeks after he suspended a reporter’s credentials, Riley has created arguably the lowest point in USC’s long and admirable history of sports media relations.

Riley claims his team is paying too much attention to the sort of commotion caused by the critics.

“All the outside noise … it can get to you,” he said. “And I think at times, fair to say it’s got to this team. … I think we’ve had to really fight to keep things on our own terms.”

This has been written many times before, but it bears repeating. Riley must remember he is no longer coaching in Oklahoma, he is coaching in Los Angeles, a place defined by the noise, a place where one is paid well to both create and endure the noise, a place where he owes it to his players to learn how to deal with the noise.

Riley has arguably the biggest noise job in all of college football. He is supposed to amplify, not squelch. Yet Saturday night ended with deathly quiet surrounding what appears to be another lost season.

Lincoln Riley stood in the same stadium where USC once held an upper deck press conference proclaiming him the savior, only he was on a field littered with failure, a long way down.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Plaschke not only going in dry; he pulled it out, cleaned it off and went in dry a second time:

Hide contents

Chew on that one while you gnaw at a second consecutive loss that removes the Trojans from national championship contention while also probably ending their conference title hopes.

No team has ever qualified for the College Football Playoff semifinals with two losses, so that ends that. And, what, this team is going to beat Washington and Oregon on consecutive Saturdays to advance to the conference championship game? Fat chance.

“As gut wrenching a defeat as I can remember in my career,” said Riley afterward in a press conference room filled with the loud music coming from the celebratory Utah locker room.

Gut wrenching? Didn’t you just experience one of these …last week? In that national embarrassment at Notre Dame?

Riley added, “This is when you get tested as a coach and a leader.”

By any measure of Saturday’s debacle, he is flunking that test.

First, he is flunking a defense that has been horribly mismanaged by his buddy Alex Grinch yet is continually supported by Riley. This time, the dazed and confused unit allowed a toothless Utah offense to drive 54 yards in less than two minutes to set up the winning 38-yard field goal. The drive was fueled by a reckless roughing and targeting penalty against Bear Alexander and an inexcusable 26-yard scramble by third-string quarterback Bryson Barnes.

This same defense allowed the Utes to gain a season-high 482 yards while equaling their season high in points. And yet Riley continues to endorse Grinch while scolding those who can’t see what he has repeatedly called an improving unit.

“If our fight stays like it would be tonight, we’ll have a shot obviously against anybody.” Riley said.

Who is he kidding? After leading 14-7 early, the Trojans “fought” their way to a 28-14 deficit against the Utes, then only came back thanks to Calen Bullock’s interception return for a touchdown and a score set up by Zachariah Branch’s 61-yard punt return.

There was no consistent fight anywhere on the field Saturday. There were only mistakes, missteps and confusion.

“It was a good heavyweight battle,” said Riley, yet his team filled with all-star transfers more closely resembles a lightweight.

Riley is also flunking an offense where defending Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Caleb Williams seems disconnected and the playcalling seems just plain weird.

Williams, who had already blown his chances at a second Heisman, failed to throw a touchdown pass for the first time as a Trojan while absorbing four sacks and making several bad throws. It surely doesn’t help him that Riley refuses to stick with a running game that works. Witness the fact that Marshawn Lloyd scored on a 45-yard run in the first quarter and yet only carried the ball seven times the entire game.

“At times we ran it well, at times we got stuffed,” Riley said, adding, “I had a couple of calls certainly I’d love to have back.”

He also presided over two failed two-point conversion attempts that were the epitome of mass confusion, each one resulting in a failed Williams pass over a crowded end zone.

“My job is to get better just like everybody else,” Riley said. “I’ve had, I think, an OK track record in calling plays. Confident in my ability and our ability to do that, but we’ve got to be better for each other.”

Finally, Riley is also flunking the important realm of public perception. Like every football coach, he controls the team’s media access, so it falls on him that for the first time in memory Saturday, no USC players were made available for postgame interviews.

So much for public accountability. So much for public responsibility. So much for answering to a passionate fan base that has plenty of questions.

Many of the Trojans are paid well, with Williams making millions. Connecting with their fans is part of the job. By presiding over this latest shame just weeks after he suspended a reporter’s credentials, Riley has created arguably the lowest point in USC’s long and admirable history of sports media relations.

Riley claims his team is paying too much attention to the sort of commotion caused by the critics.

“All the outside noise … it can get to you,” he said. “And I think at times, fair to say it’s got to this team. … I think we’ve had to really fight to keep things on our own terms.”

This has been written many times before, but it bears repeating. Riley must remember he is no longer coaching in Oklahoma, he is coaching in Los Angeles, a place defined by the noise, a place where one is paid well to both create and endure the noise, a place where he owes it to his players to learn how to deal with the noise.

Riley has arguably the biggest noise job in all of college football. He is supposed to amplify, not squelch. Yet Saturday night ended with deathly quiet surrounding what appears to be another lost season.

Lincoln Riley stood in the same stadium where USC once held an upper deck press conference proclaiming him the savior, only he was on a field littered with failure, a long way down.

But he’s awesome.  Bc a bunch of fucktards at an underachieving ‘blue blood’ compare him to their dumbfuck coaching brigade.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I was just going to post some from the ESPN.com article. I think he does know where that starts.

------------

"Everybody expects you to be good. Everybody expects that you can have a championship-caliber team," Riley said. "And when you're constantly trying to live up to those expectations, you can kind of fall away from maybe what puts you there in that position in the first place."

Asked about those expectations and whether USC has fallen short of them this season, Riley said the team has had to "fight to keep things on our terms."

"We don't come in every single week talking about winning a national championship, going to the playoffs," Riley said. "I don't know where that narrative starts.

"If you let the outside set expectations, you're always being measured up against that."

The Caleb Williams to Patrick Mahomes comparisons are very dedicated to missing the fact that mentally, they are as far apart as can be.

Most QBs need to be managed by people around them, but Mahomes appears to be the one that manages and acts (or tries to) as the voice of reason for 3 very distracting people around him. When is the last time a superstar was clearly the stabilizing force for his entourage. LeBron comes to mind. He didn't throw a fit when the team dealt away one of his top targets. He didn't offer an excuse when the team lost his starting OT and he had to play in SB against a top pass rush while injured. He has left money on the table to help his team out. No drama about waiting his turn. Generally, a good sport when he loses. Caleb Williams is none of those things. He doesn't have any physical talent that the NFL has never seen before. If that was all it took, you wouldn't have some of the busts that have occurred. He ends up in the wrong market, with a city that has little patience for his bullshit and a media that will gladly go at him, and he has to face some adversity, it could go sideways for him.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I'm his coach in the 2023 fantasy football season and Fields fucking sucks. 

Also, when Riley goes to the NFL, all SC needs to do is build a church in that godless hellscape. If they build it, he will come... 

spacer.png

Damn lol. I've only seen limited Fields action, but he looked pretty good to me. He has a shitty o-line, that's for sure. And yeah, Dabo isn't doing shit anymore. I said after Lawrence left and BV bailed that he's now Mack. He had a helluva run, but it's over. 

Easily. But the Bears org is dumb and I’m already hearing rumblings that they’d prefer Maye over CW.

Fields will eventually end up being a decent starter with the right coaching staff but CW is a generational QB.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You’ll play for 4th, in your defunct conference you soft bitch made fuck.  

Imagine the coach at a blue blood programs saying they're not talking about winning titles.  What should USC expect then?

If the coach at Alabama said that, they'd riot in the streets and burn down their houses/meth labs.

• Haha 3