Cop murders a guy in a rascal scooter, shooting him in the back nine times from close range

shadow_operative

officer was fired yesterday:

https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/8815159002

"To be very clear, I am deeply disturbed and troubled by Officer Remington's actions. His use of deadly force in this incident is a clear violation of department policy and directly contradicts multiple aspects of our use of force and training," Magnus said. 

they always say some shit like this, how shooting a disabled elderly man in the back nine times "is a violation of department policy." they never say that it's, "something only a depraved, bloodthirsty criminal would do, and is clearly beyond any sense of morality." no, what this cop did was wrong because it broke the rules at his workplace. just get the fuck out of here with that shit. even the people who fire these psychopaths sound like heartless robot drones.

Edited by shadow_operative

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

they always say some shit like this, how shooting a disabled elderly man in the back nine times "is a violation of department policy." they never say that it's, "something only a depraved, bloodthirsty criminal would do, and is clearly beyond any sense of morality." no, what this cop did was wrong because it broke the rules at his workplace. just get the fuck out of here with that shit. even the people who fire these psychopaths sound like heartless robot drones.

You really expect them to say something like this in a press release? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Looks pretty murdery

Dude is toast. Doesn’t matter if this dude sliced up a childrens orphanage prior to trying to enter the grocery store, couldn’t he just have shot out a tire? Or put down a spike strip? Walk up and disconnect the battery? I’m sure there will be some sort of positive change from this though…

image.gif.d328730c232624bbedc53bc730fcf5df.gif

16 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Doesn’t matter if this dude sliced up a childrens orphanage prior to trying to enter the grocery store

It actually does for some. Our resident church deacon will hold out commentary until the gimp’s priors are released before deciding whether his meeting with Saint Peter was justified.

• Hook 'Em 4

33 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It actually does for some. Our resident church deacon will hold out commentary until the gimp’s priors are released before deciding whether his meeting with Saint Peter was justified.

Don't chase people with a gun not doing anything illegal. It's just a nice that a guy who ruined kids lives to not be here with us anymore.

Back in his day, Jack "The Knife" Rascal was a mean dude. Why, I tell ya, that decrepit bastard once terrorized the whole retirement home with his menacing rumble humming and rhythmic finger-snapping.

🎵 You're never alone, 
You're never disconnected! 
You're home with your own: 
When company's expected, 
You're well protected! 🎵

Seriously, though, is there any information on what prompted this whole sequence of events? I mean, did a shop owner just panic watching this guy slowly roll up and feel the need to call 911? It's no surprise the cops showed up and started blasting, but why were they called in the first place? There's got to be more to this story.

10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Seriously, though, is there any information on what prompted this whole sequence of events? I mean, did a shop owner just panic watching this guy slowly roll up and feel the need to call 911? It's no surprise the cops showed up and started blasting, but why were they called in the first place? There's got to be more to this story.

It was in the linked story.  Off-duty cop was working security at Walmart, and confronted the deceased who had shoplifted a toolbox.  Deceased allegedly pulled a knife on the cop, and then proceeded to the Lowes.  That's where in the video we see the off-duty cop tell him not to go into the store and shoot him dead before he enters.

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I have no idea of the makeup of a potential jury pool in Tuscon, Arizona, but all things being equal, if Derek Chauvin was convicted of murder, I don't see this shitbag walking. 

It won’t matter what the jury pool is, this should be as easy conviction.

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Did you feel worse that he died after you found out he was pedo? 

sadly i don't recall feeling much of anything after casually hearing/seeing what happened, and didn't follow any of the trial proceedings, etc. what i found most interesting was how emotionally invested certain folks were that justice was served in that instance. folks that haven't ever watched a trial in their lives were glued to their screens on that one.

but yeah, paedophilia (i can't spell the word but am afraid to google it hahahah) is bad. really, really, really bad. also, water is wet. really, really, really wet.

9 minutes ago, txhorns said:

The police department has handled this very well from what I can tell.  They fired the officer immediately.  There are no statements of support from other officers or anything.  Complaining because the department didn’t act like an online message board keyboard warrior in their press release is ridiculous.

^^^ this is how fucked up things are right now. people think it's absolutely ridiculous to want the police to morally admonish one of their own when he sees an old disabled man on a rascal scooter and fills him full of holes, from behind, unprovoked.  just an absurd idea. 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886w5wze9edhx7nb1quje

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

^^^ this is how fucked up things are right now. people think it's absolutely ridiculous to want the police to morally admonish one of their own when he sees an old disabled man on a rascal scooter and fills him full of holes, from behind, unprovoked.  just an absurd idea. 

Lulz. We live in a litigious society. There will be lawsuits. It doesn't matter if its a city police dept or a private corporation. These types of statements are reviewed, if not crafted, by lawyers and they aren't just random words strung together. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Lulz. We live in a litigious society. There will be lawsuits. It doesn't matter if its a city police dept or a private corporation. These types of statements are reviewed, if not crafted, by lawyers and they aren't just random words strung together. 

Yep.  You can be damn sure the police department has been advised by counsel about the possibility of a civil suit, and advised on communications to the public.  In that situation, I'd expect the policy to publicly admonish the cop's actions and say "that's now how we do things here," and little else.

I'm interested if Walmart has anything to say, because it's a likely target of a civil action as well.  I'm not sure how strong an independent contractor defense might be under Arizona law (and consider the fact that the dipshit murdering cop wasn't even on Walmart premises when he shot the victim), but it's likely a lawyer for the deceased estate is going after Walmart.

3 minutes ago, Bravo said:

This looks kinda bad. Is this bad? Only thing I need to know is context. Hard to believe there is a legitimate one. Maybe he was rumored to be threatening people with a gun or this was just murder. Likely murder. 

All accounts are that he just had a knife, no gun.  And he was carrying said knife in a motorized wheelchair going half a mile an hour.  I didn't even see him waving the knife in the video. 

19 minutes ago, Blotto said:

that's been the status quo for a long time, and it needs to change. the climate in this country vis a vis police/community relations is the worst it's been in decades. for a lot of people it feels like there's a war between police and the public. the company line has always been, "don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch". well, if the cops want to prove that they're actually the good guys, then calling out their own for incredibly heinous murders like this one would be a pretty good start. 

beyond  that, who here likes to be patronized? who here likes to be bullshitted? who here likes it when someone speaks to you like you are retarded? seriously, how hard is it to simply say, "the deceased clearly posed no immediate threat to the public, and shooting him in the back nine times was obviously an asinine and unnecessary way to handle this situation", or anything to that affect. why is that so unbelievably ridiculous to ask for? 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

Derka, you can get as pissed off as you want about the statement, but it ain't gonna change things.  When private corporations fuck up and people die, they don't spill their guts in a press release either. There's no point.

Everybody that watches the video will make their own judgements, and a few words from the PD won't matter either way. Lawyers know the playbook, and with millions at stake, they call the plays. 

Edited by Blotto

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

They say this because to hold the government liable for the shooting there has to be a policy that allowed for the use of deadly force under those circumstances.  That's section 1983 law.  Now them saying he violated policy won't really make a shit but they are doing what they can to cover their asses.

(note to self---create Netflix series about scooter-bound elderly whose fixed incomes are running out and they are forced to joust one another in the aisles of Hobby Lobby for the CEO's entertainment; nobody is to be killed, the idea is that the threat of the knife will force one or the other to fall off their Rascal and break a hip.).  

"Rascal Flights", "Rascal Fights", "Scooter Shooter", we'll workshop the titles. 

49 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

The statement is lawyer approved because if you don't think they won't be sued by his family then I've got a bridge to sell you. Seriously, they can't say anything when they are liable. And this fucking cop has fucked his community coffers here, imo.

26 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'll just say that seeing that video makes me incredibly sad. Not to be hyperbolic, but on so many levels it seems we've lost our way. 

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

that's been the status quo for a long time, and it needs to change. the climate in this country vis a vis police/community relations is the worst it's been in decades. for a lot of people it feels like there's a war between police and the public. the company line has always been, "don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch". well, if the cops want to prove that they're actually the good guys, then calling out their own for incredibly heinous murders like this one would be a pretty good start. 

beyond  that, who here likes to be patronized? who here likes to be bullshitted? who here likes it when someone speaks to you like you are retarded? seriously, how hard is it to simply say, "the deceased clearly posed no immediate threat to the public, and shooting him in the back nine times was obviously an asinine and unnecessary way to handle this situation", or anything to that affect. why is that so unbelievably ridiculous to ask for? 

This is pretty much where I'm at. It's well understood that there's never been a perfect balance between the people and the police, but things seem to be way out of whack right now when armed agents of the state feel emboldened enough to mete out deadly justice without impunity. It's a creeping "might makes right" attitude that supersedes all else and makes life cheap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

Isn’t that for the courts to decide?

It sure isn't when the cops shoot someone.  The cops immediately call the victim a "dangerous criminal with an extensive history -- here's everything, from a ticket last year for running a stop sign to a note in his first grade file where his teacher calls him "a disruption in the class.""  It is SOP for the police to try and convict the victim in the court of public opinion before the body is even cold.

But when the bad guy is one of their own.....it's different.

Interesting how that works.

Also:

1 -- shocked it wasn't a Wal Mart.

2 -- Gotta love the coup de grace add-on shot at the end.  Gotta make sure he's good and dead.  Jesus.

Edited by Brisketexan

57 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

sadly i don't recall feeling much of anything after casually hearing/seeing what happened, and didn't follow any of the trial proceedings, etc. what i found most interesting was how emotionally invested certain folks were that justice was served in that instance. folks that haven't ever watched a trial in their lives were glued to their screens on that one.

you know what i found was interesting was how emotionally invested certain folks are that a wrong conviction be found in that instance.  folks that haven't ever watched a trial in their lives were glued to the screens on that one.

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

but things seem to be way out of whack right now when armed agents of the state feel emboldened enough to mete out deadly justice without impunity. It's a creeping "might makes right" attitude that supersedes all else and makes life cheap.

They need to make them accountable by taking away the limited liability when they do things like this. They need to have their cash on the line. 

2 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Dude is toast. Doesn’t matter if this dude sliced up a childrens orphanage prior to trying to enter the grocery store, couldn’t he just have shot out a tire? Or put down a spike strip? Walk up and disconnect the battery? I’m sure there will be some sort of positive change from this though…

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Holy shit.  Murderer's attorney saying he had no non-lethal options.  WTF?

41 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'll just say that seeing that video makes me incredibly sad. Not to be hyperbolic, but on so many levels it seems we've lost our way. 

The cop could have literally applied a little force to the side of the wheel chair and tipped it over.  Or ran up from behind and grabbed the handles and tipped it backwards.  Either of those scenarios turns the guy into a turtle on his back.

Shit, Barney Fife would have shoved a board or rock between the wheels of his scooter, instantly stopping the guy.