Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

10 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I get what you’re saying. He’s been quite productive, but his running style seems to have a lot of unnecessary juking. 

Maybe he was juking while running the 200m, which would explain why his time wasn't that great.

• Haha 6

With us taking two backs last year and looking really good for the 2026 running backs, I would actually prefer Texas to only take one back in this class. The two that have gotten the most attention are good backs, but nothing special. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Recap from video content this week.  So I imagine we’re going to see our TE commit get processed like the previous LB.  Gerry keeps mentioning Nick Townsend as freak athlete and #1 on the Texas TE board right now and then taking Armstrong as a big body inline TE.  

Also sounds like staff is pushing or the RB out of Louisiana, Simmons?, and he may shut it down this weekend.  LSU just took their 2nd RB so I imagine he is trying to lock a spot up at Texas before we fill up. 

OL board realistically we would take consists of Fasusi, Rogers, Coleman twins, Jackson, and the John Mills kid.  

Not sure if Dakorian Moore gave a silent but since his visit, all the 9.95ers have predicted Texas.  His mom went to high school in Austin and apparently he has lots of family on ATX.  This one makes too much sense considering he also has a lot of friends on the Texas team.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

No tOSU OV ??

Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin high school Top 100 receiver Jaime Ffrench is one of the most coveted players in the country. The 6-1, 185-pounder from the class of 2025 has offers from all over, but has narrowed his recruitment and could be inching closer to a final decision.

So, what's next for him? It's just about time for some official visits.

Ffrench shared with 247Sports that he'll be at LSU on May 31, Miami on June 7, Tennessee on June 14, and Texas on June 21. He has those official visits locked in.

One glaring omission from that list is Ohio State. The 247Sports Crystal Ball is currently 100% in favor of the Buckeyes, so it's surely odd to not see Ohio State on that list.

In checking around, Ffrench is still expected to take an official visit to Columbus to see the Buckeyes. However, it's likely going to occur in the fall. He wants to see a game at Ohio State and an official visit is a perfect opportunity. Ohio State is still in a great spot for Ffrench and should be considered a strong threat to land him.

Tom's Take: I still very much like my Crystal Ball prediction for Ohio State. I believe they are doing an incredible job with his recruitment. That said, keep a close eye on the Texas Longhorns. I'm told they impressed during his recent unofficial visit and his visit the third week of June is one to watch closely. Head coach Steve Sarkisian has the Longhorns in clear contention for the elite pass-catcher.

• Hook 'Em 8

Just now, texifornia said:

You think a spring game changes anything?

I think a stacked QB room with Arch Manning and true freshman showing out makes him think about where else he could go w/out as much competition. Especially with as much as he's visited Auburn.

• Hook 'Em 1

247 Quick Hitters

AUSTIN, Texas — The rain held off and the Orange-White Game was a hit for many of the recruits that were on hand to take in the action. Horns247 was on site to gather the latest intel from a number of the prospects. Here's our Quick Hitters following the event.

*Keep in mind this is not everybody that attended the spring game, and we will have plenty more coverage in the days and weeks to come

Texas QB commit back in Austin with his family

KJ Lacey, 4-star QB, Saraland (Ala.) — Texas commit

The four-star signal caller and Texas commit is getting more and more comfortable in Austin. Saturday marked his third visit to campus this year. This time he was joined by both parents and his little brother. He spent time with fellow UT pledges Emaree Winston and Lance Jackson. Of course he enjoyed the quarterback play from Arch Manning and Trey Owens as well. Lacey has no other visits currently scheduled besides Texas for his official on June 21-23. He says he's "getting there" in terms of potentially just shutting down his recruitment.

Bo Barnes' recruitment is over 

Elijah "Bo" Barnes, 4-star LB, Skyline — Texas commit

The newest Texas pledge was back on campus for the third straight weekend. Don't expect any drama here. Barnes says his recruitment is shut down completely and he'll only be visiting the Longhorns from here on out after committing last Friday.

UT tight end commit hoping for another tight end to join class 

Emaree Winston, 4-star TE, Calhoun (Ga.) —Texas commit

The Longhorns tight end commit won't leave Austin until Sunday night after arriving on Thursday. He's been enjoying the entire experience, too. Winston says he's solid with Texas and doesn't have any other visits set expect for UT on June 21-23. He did say UCF is still talking to him often. And that Texas A&M is trying to flip him. Winston says Alabama is picking up contact as of late as well. It's going to be an uphill battle to change his mind off the Longhorns, though. Winston says he's hoping Texas lands another tight end and is trying to help get guys like Kaleb Edwards and/or Kiotti Armstrong. The Peach State product is also becoming close friends with KJ Lacey, who he credits with helping him decide on the Longhorns.

Longhorns leave another strong impression on top LB target 

Riley Pettijohn, 4-star LB, McKinney

One of Texas' top targets at the linebacker position returned for the first time since Junior Day. Pettijohn arrived in Austin on Friday, joined by both of his parents. The contact with Texas remains extremely consistent and the family thinks very highly of new co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Johnny Nansen. We still believe the Longhorns are trending here, up against USC, Texas A&M, Florida State, and Ohio State.

Texas and USC still duking it out for Top247 WR

Kelshaun Johnson, 4-star WR, Hitchcock

The four-star receiver says Texas is still pushing to get him to commit. He's going to continue waiting things out for his official visits, though. USC remains the Longhorns' chief competition. Johnson's mom had an opportunity to be around the coaching staff for the first time on Saturday, which was a big deal for him. I still like my Texas Crystal Ball pick here. 

Texas the team to beat for Bayou State RB? 

James Simon, 4-star RB, Shreveport (La.) Calvary Baptist

Keep an eye on this one. Texas is trending up here. Simon tentatively has an official visit set for Austin on June 21-23. A decision could come before the summer with the way things are going, though. The Longhorns, Notre Dame, Alabama, and LSU are the main schools in contention right now. Simon is going to work on whittling things down over the next couple weeks and possibly coming to a decision.

West Coast TE makes first trip to Texas 

Kaleb Edwards, 4-star TE, El Dorado Hills (Calif.) Oak Ridge

The Golden State product made his first journey to Austin ahead of a June 7-9 official visit. Other officials set are UCLA in May, as well as Washington, Oregon, Alabama in June. Edwards loves the history at Texas. He enjoyed getting to sit down and talk with special teams and tight ends coach Jeff Banks, as well as Steve Sarkisian, on Saturday. Edwards doesn't plan on announcing any top schools, so his official visits schedule is the best barometer for trying to decipher any favorites. Probably have to wait and see how that slate unfolds before being able to determine a favorite.

Hawkeye State OL takes in Orange-White Game 

Nick Brooks, 4-star OT, Cedar Rapids (Iowa) John F. Kennedy

The big 6-foot-7, 345-pounder made it in. We weren't able to catch up with him immediately after the visit, but KJ Lacey told us that he spent time recruiting him today. Brooks is a one-time Iowa commit. He's set to return for an official visit on June 14-16. Other OVs on the schedule Georgia May 31-June 2, USC June 7-9, and Iowa June 21-23.

Texas standing out to Top100 RB? 

KJ Edwards, 2026 4-star RB, Carthage

If you ask me, Texas is the team to beat for the Top100 running back. Edwards himself says the Longhorns are in his top three. Several schools are in play, but Texas seems to have set the pace here. Edwards says UT and Baylor are the two schools he communicates with most.

Longhorns still evaluating elite WR 

Jordan Clay, 2026 4-star WR, San Antonio Madison

The Top100 pass catcher didn't leave with an offer, but that isn't souring Texas for the San Antonio native. Clay knows it's early and knows the staff is still conducting evaluations. For now he says Texas A&M, Baylor, and Notre Dame are his top schools. He says the Longhorns would be up there as well with an offer.

Top 2026 OL target back in town 

John Turntine III, 2026 OT, North Crowley

Turntine is arguably the Longhorns' top offensive line target in the class of 2026. UT is one the top schools on his list. He loves coming to Austin. Says the program as a whole has never left a bad impression. Texas A&M recently hosted him and impressed. The Longhorns are certainly on his short list, but there's plenty of time to go.

Texas on top for local TE, even without offering 

Jaivion Martin, 2026 TE, Pflugerville

Martin has been to Texas three times in three weeks. He still doesn't have an offer but considers Texas a second home. Martin says UT is a dream school. Bama, Oklahoma, TCU, and Texas are Martin's top four, but he considers UT his No. 1, even without an offer. One could be coming soon with Jeff Banks set to attend spring practice in the coming weeks.

Rising junior offensive lineman could become household name 

Pulelei'ite Primus, 2026 OL, Midland

This is a kid to keep an eye on. Expect his profile to continue to grow. He's still going relatively under the radar, but he checked in at 6-foot-3, 315 pounds today. OU and Texas are two schools to watch right now in the early going.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Hint: I'm the lighter skinned fellow. 60 now but would gladly smoke all your sorry asses. Easier to smoke than the joint I'm currently working on. Pussies

IMG_0332.jpeg

This is the best self dox I've seen in forever 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Hint: I'm the lighter skinned fellow. 60 now but would gladly smoke all your sorry asses. Easier to smoke than the joint I'm currently working on. Pussies

IMG_0332.jpeg

Well Mr. Hollis (Ms. Piper), I could backpedal a 4.6 while smoking a Camel unfiltered cigarette.

CHIEF