The Official Big Cat Attack Thread

Baboontyme

Once they have a tast for white meat they just want more, duh.

It was young enough that it could have been trying to establish it's own territory and just have been hungry enough to try and go after humans. I'm not sure if 100 lbs is underweight for a cougar in that area or not, but would lend some credence to that theory if it is.

Cougar attacks Guy 1, who runs. So cougar goes after Guy 2. Guy 1 doesn't go help Guy 2. Seems like 2 guys vs one cat could at least fight to a draw.

Guy 1 should be ashamed of himself.

He will live with that regret every day for the rest of his long, prosperous life.
  • Like 1

Theres a fuzzy,  bigfoot quality picture on nextdoor of an alleged mountain lion going around a a nearby neighborhood.  It could also be a bobcat, or a regular Ferell cat, or a coyote.  Or a jaguar, or a cheetah.  No one really knows.  So this hits close to home. 

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

Strange.  I find it somewhat unsettling that the standard response seems to be to hunt it down and kill it.  Especially when it's in its own habitat and not an urban area.

Also, 100 lb male?  Did they get the right one?

They kill pet dogs when they attack a person.

Why not this wild animal?

Strange.  I find it somewhat unsettling that the standard response seems to be to hunt it down and kill it.  Especially when it's in its own habitat and not an urban area.

Also, 100 lb male?  Did they get the right one?

Yeah, and if that bastard decides people equal food, and kills someone else, then what? Evacuate the county? Kill man eaters with extreme prejudice.

27 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

In all honesty, can two adult males with no weapons fight off a fully engaged cougar?  My guess is their only chance is for the cougar to analyze the situation and determine it isn't worth it and flee, but it seems the cougar already skipped that step.

Best shot is to shove your hand as far down its throat as possible. People have actually killed big cats with their bare hands this way.

16 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Best shot is to shove your hand as far down its throat as possible. People have actually killed big cats with their bare hands this way.

i'd go for a Rear Naked Choke.  possibly Kimura from Side Control.  

if there's 2 cougars, even easier - just clap their heads together like Schwarzenegger did that one time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

i'd go for a Rear Naked Choke.  possibly Kimura from Side Control.  

if there's 2 cougars, even easier - just clap their heads together like Schwarzenegger did that one time.

I'd go for the arm bar.  Make it tap out so it knows it has submitted to my domination.

22 hours ago, Parliament said:

Cougar attacks Guy 1, who runs. So cougar goes after Guy 2. Guy 1 doesn't go help Guy 2. Seems like 2 guys vs one cat could at least fight to a draw.

Guy 1 should be ashamed of himself.

I don't have to outrun the cougar, I just have to outrun you

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

Yeah, and if that bastard decides people equal food, and kills someone else, then what? Evacuate the county? Kill man eaters with extreme prejudice.

According to the article, this was miles from anywhere.  You go to the cougar's house and ya takes yer chances. Cougar comes to your house and he takes his chances. And this whole "man-eater" thing is a bunch of horse shit.  Humans are prey to carnivorous beasts big, strong, or hungry enough to kill them, end of story.

22 hours ago, huge said:

They kill pet dogs when they attack a person.

Why not this wild animal?

Note the comment about habitat.  Pet dogs are around humans by definition, wild animals are not.  If a wild animal is frequenting populated areas, or killing livestock, that's one thing.  This strikes me as another.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

According to the article, this was miles from anywhere.  You go to the cougar's house and ya takes yer chances. Cougar comes to your house and he takes his chances. And this whole "man-eater" thing is a bunch of horse shit.  Humans are prey to carnivorous beasts big, strong, or hungry enough to kill them, end of story.

Humans have been at the top of the food chain for quite some time.

7 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Besides sounds like the cougar in question was starving to death and maybe to weak to actually take down actual game in the area?  Killing it was probably putting it out of it's misery.

Big Game in North America will rarely see taking on a full grown human as worth it. A grizzly here and there won't give a shit, but cougars are pretty leery of humans. I'm of the opinion that killing man-eaters is a good policy no matter where you're at.

Edited by SimonBolivar

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Afaik, rangers and wildlife authorities aren't in the business of hunting for fun.  

When they establish a practice, it's probably founded on solid grounds

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Killing man-eaters is a good policy. It's good part of the reason very few things actually attempt to hunt humans. It is bad news for them even if they can take us down. 

ya just hang one of their buddies next to the den, show em what happens when they step outta line

• 2 weeks later...

My thoughts based on nothing more than pure speculation:

It was young and starving (100 lbs seems pretty lightweight) and thus desperate. The riding triggered some sort of fleeing prey instinct. Killing it was probably an act of mercy. And yeah, seems like two grown men should have been able to fight it off if they had worked together.

Mountain lion attack in Big Bend some  years ago:

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/environment/article/Big-Bend-mountain-lion-attacks-boy-6-3105934.php

Also small, starved male, iirc.