The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Heading to the ranch tomorrow for the weekend. I’m overpacking, but what the hell. Let’s get it on.

Shotguns
28 g spanish SxS
16 g 1100
12 g Grandad’s Marlin pump

Rifles
.22 Grandad’s Winchester pump
5.56 suppressed
300 Win Mag
300 Ultra Mag
375 Weatherby

Pistolas
.22 Great Uncles Hi Standard
.380 Colt Mustang
.45 Springfield suppressed

I just picked up the ultra mag today, going to give the ol shoulder a workout and see if I need to put a recoil reducer or a break on it.

b9a8ea67782df13d90f09add5b1d90e0.jpg

08319e62c188f16b163f6b2a83bcac86.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 686 said:

Heading to the ranch tomorrow for the weekend. I’m overpacking, but what the hell. Let’s get it on.

Shotguns
28 g spanish SxS
16 g 1100
12 g Grandad’s Marlin pump

Rifles
5.56 suppressed
300 Win Mag
300 Ultra Mag
375 Weatherby

Pistolas
.22 Great Uncles Hi Standard
.380 Colt Mustang
.45 Springfield suppressed

I just picked up the ultra mag today, going to give the ol shoulder a workout and see if I need to put a recoil reducer or a break on it.

b9a8ea67782df13d90f09add5b1d90e0.jpg

08319e62c188f16b163f6b2a83bcac86.jpg

That's a God D**m beautiful sight right there.  Something righteous about a 1911 with a can. 

Those heavier barrels on your two bolt-guns (L to R:  2 & 4):  aftermarket?

*I need more guns...but with a new pool going in, and two kids playing Classic League Soccer and all the dues & travel costs they charge.....rocking the old dogs for now.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 686 said:

Rifles

I have a Winchester 62. It is by far my favorite gun. Just the thought I am handling that old of a gun makes me happy. The thing shoots great and is just a joy to shoot.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

That's a God D**m beautiful sight right there.  Something righteous about a 1911 with a can. 

Those heavier barrels on your two bolt-guns (L to R:  2 & 4):  aftermarket?

*I need more guns...but with a new pool going in, and two kids playing Classic League Soccer and all the dues & travel costs they charge.....rocking the old dogs for now.  

Second from left is a custom 375 Wby with a heavy Douglas barrel; gun on far right is a stock Rem 700 BDL .223 with heavy varmint barrel.

Yeah, I didn't really start buying guns until I had family financial stuff pretty well addressed, but I like buying used classic guns that are depreciated out and actually appreciate at or above the level of inflation, so its really a conservative investment. My wife's eyes usually glaze over an she stops interrogating me about gun stuff when I start talking investment strategy.  

13783d1448985346-random-meme-thread-boug

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 686 said:

Second from left is a custom 375 Wby with a heavy Douglas barrel; gun on far right is a stock Rem 700 BDL .223 with heavy varmint barrel.

Yeah, I didn't really start buying guns until I had family financial stuff pretty well addressed, but I like buying used classic guns that are depreciated out and actually appreciate at or above the level of inflation, so its really a conservative investment. My wife's eyes usually glaze over an she stops interrogating me about gun stuff when I start talking investment strategy.  

13783d1448985346-random-meme-thread-boug

I regret every gun I've ever sold or parted with.  I regret even more not buying every gun I could pre-marriage.  I had the scratch.  Just never got around to it.  Then it was too late and off to Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware and every other store selling over priced crap we didn't need.

Guys.  Load up before.  Easier.  Trust me....

41 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I regret even more not buying every gun I could pre-marriage.  I had the scratch.  Just never got around to it... Guys.  Load up before.  Easier.  Trust me....

I'm in the same boat and did basically the same thing, but instead of buying stupid crap, my wife is a mizer/money hoarder. The first 10 years of marriage I didn't buy many guns or hunt much because I wanted to pay off all debt, and she was cool with that. After we'd accomplished that, I started spending money on guns and hunting, and about 10 years later, she still isn't really on board with it. Of course, now I realize I should have made hunting/shooting/gun buying a deal maker/breaker from the beginning.   

• Like 1

I have a Winchester 62. It is by far my favorite gun. Just the thought I am handling that old of a gun makes me happy. The thing shoots great and is just a joy to shoot.

Mine’s a Winchester 61, serial puts it at 1950:

40aa9e9c22f5a2f5b8a9fba79155ce66.jpg
  • Like 1

everyone talks about how great geissele triggers are, found them on sale this weekend on geissele.com.  so naturally I had to get a receiver for it to go on, aero precision has 25% off on combo sets so....I ended up buying over half of the components for a new gun build last night.

everyone talks about how great geissele triggers are, found them on sale this weekend on geissele.com.  so naturally I had to get a receiver for it to go on, aero precision has 25% off on combo sets so....I ended up buying over half of the components for a new gun build last night.

I love my 2 stage on my 300 BO.
I have a single on my 6.8 and while I don’t hate it, I may swap for another Gieselle.

On 8/24/2018 at 10:40 PM, Izhmash said:

I dont have pics on my phone, but I have a custom .308 that I covet.  Underground Skunkworks, Kukri.  18” heavy barrel sitting in a Manners stock...its a truck rifle so i threw a NF 2.5-10 on top.  Shoots amazingly out to about 800 and my patterns start breaking apart.  Reliable kill shots on piglets to 500.  

Backstory.  My dad and I sourced our rifles from UGSW when they were just getting started...Mike (owner) had worked for several reputable groups that built actions.  We got our rifles about 3 months late...learned later that several others weren’t so lucky and never got theres.  They ended up out of business, but damn if these thinga dont shoot!!!  They are fucking tack drivers.  Pics later.

Finally got around to uploading pics.  Damn I love this rifle...shoots lights out!  Longest kill shot recorded at 452yds (Prone, shooting down a highline).  We hand-load 168gr Barnes tipped TSX - love how efficiently they kill shit.

imgur

imgur

I can make you one for a lot more than El Paso Saddlery charges, but you'd have to send the gun for me to make the pattern for it. The only plus is that it would be saddle stitched throughout, fit your gun perfectly, and be made exactly how you want.

Dont mean to hijack but could you make me a custom rig for my 4”Colt King Cobra?
That would be sweet. PM me if interested.
Id like to get started asap if so.

22 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I can make you one for a lot more than El Paso Saddlery charges, but you'd have to send the gun for me to make the pattern for it. The only plus is that it would be saddle stitched throughout, fit your gun perfectly, and be made exactly how you want.

For a lot more?

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered mine off Amazon. Free delivery to my driveway. I guess it was a closeout model, so I got a better price and better fire protection than I could find locally. It was 1000 pounds empty and had to go down stairs that weren't lined up with any door to get into my house, so I ended up paying a local safe place to come move it into place for me rather than risk adding a new set of french doors I didn't need.

I have a cannon hand me down now with a combo turn lock.
Its nice. I know there are some brands that are just as good quality. Id like to keep it somewhere in the $1k range of price/quality with turn combo dial. Heard bad stories about digital locks.
Any suggestions on brands/models in that class?
Thanks,for any help.

Bought my safe at academy. Then argued with someone here that it wasn’t a safe. So whatever.

$600 Canon 48 gun safe that could hold half that. It has a plug inside that I plugged LED lights and a dehumidifier in. Works well for me.

Deft is correct. I’ve got mine in the same “safe” as you most likely. Keeps people out, and offers a little fire protection. I put it in the area of the house with almost nothing flammable around it though.

Costco safe owner here.  Not the best safe.  Maybe not the worst.  Picked it up when the kids were little, were having friends over, and hide/seek in the house was popular.  Have a few paperwork items in there, but everything truly valuable has been digitally preserved.  I really just wanted a mechanism to keep the kids away and store everything in one location.  Has a digital keypad.  No issues after many years.