The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

I've been thinking about getting the wife some lessons on handling a handgun of her choosing so she's more comfortable.  She shot rifles/shotguns as a kid in Western Kansas for hunting purposes, but not a round fired in 30 years likely.  I have a membership at the Range in Austin and thought she should try a few out first before we settle on something we can purchase she feels comfortable with, and then attach the appropriate identification/security protocols I have on mine.  I know where we should start in terms of caliber now.  She's strong and athletic, but in 5 years time...she'll be middle-aged and maybe not as bold as she is now.  And it'd be nice to get something American made like a Glock or similar.  That we can have for a 15 years or so until kids are outta the house and we downsize out into the country.  

Haha.  She did handle a Sauer she liked, and she is German.  But I'm more concerned with what kinda immobility features can be attached to the weapon rather than stopping power.  That's a whole other ecosystem I was not ready for.  But she's a good shot.  Can control her heartrate and breathing to a disturbing level of finite discipline that makes me worry about my own fate.  

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Haha.  She did handle a Sauer she liked, and she is German.  But I'm more concerned with what kinda immobility features can be attached to the weapon rather than stopping power.  That's a whole other ecosystem I was not ready for.  But she's a good shot.  Can control her heartrate and breathing to a disturbing level of finite discipline that makes me worry about my own fate.  

My wife is lebanese, and can run pretty hot, so the last thing I am going to stick in her hand is one of my guns. But if I did I would probably go with a revolver. 

Dibs on Lebanese Revolver for my new band name.  We're gonna go up to her folks cattle ranch in Western Kansas during Winter.  Would be perfect to shoot some different stuff but there's not a dealer/ammo dealer within 50 miles of them.  Unless you count the meth-lab hoarders nearby.  And it's so damn expensive to try shit out here in town.  Again, I just keep coming back to what we can attach the most security to since that's a far bigger variable than if she can stop 2 bad guys dead in their tracks in our foyer.  And the other question mark is she's tough as shit and always has been, but we're both getting to that awkward point in our mid-to-late 40's where the body just feels different month-to-month and you can actually tell in real time.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

My wife is lebanese, and can run pretty hot, so the last thing I am going to stick in her hand is one of my guns. But if I did I would probably go with a revolver. 

Yep, Mrs. CHIEF carries that five shot .38 S&W Airweight. She can hit a pie plate all five times at 5-10 feet, that is really all women need to be proficient. Bad guys are trying to rape, assault, rob women, not immediately kill them.  Mrs. CHIEF is in a pretty rough part of Houston for work, occasionally. She keeps the pistol in her purse and her finger close to the trigger while walking into the hotel. She has enough nerve to let someone get within a couple of feet, and calm enough to make sure she is going to hit her target and shoot through the front of her purse. 

A close family friend that teaches CCL classes said the statistics bear this scenario out an overwhelming amount of the times of crimes against women.   He recommended a revolver, as it is easier to operate, load, and unload more safely without causing an unintentional discharge.

CHIEF

@YGIFS My wife shoots a 9mm HK P30.  I have her run thru 50 or once a year, shooting a cactus patty at 20’.  She’s accurate with it, and comfortable with how it functions, so I’ve never changed it.  Not American made, but neither is the Glock (outside of the 42)  

https://gununiversity.com/hk-p30-review/

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Yep, Mrs. CHIEF carries that five shot .38 S&W Airweight. She can hit a pie plate all five times at 5-10 feet, that is really all women need to be proficient. Bad guys are trying to rape, assault, rob women, not immediately kill them.  Mrs. CHIEF is in a pretty rough part of Houston for work, occasionally. She keeps the pistol in her purse and her finger close to the trigger while walking into the hotel. She has enough nerve to let someone get within a couple of feet, and calm enough to make sure she is going to hit her target and shoot through the front of her purse. 

A close family friend that teaches CCL classes said the statistics bear this scenario out an overwhelming amount of the times of crimes against women.   He recommended a revolver, as it is easier to operate, load, and unload more safely without causing an unintentional discharge.

CHIEF

Good choice with the Airweight. 
Bought mine from a Texas detective about 30 years ago. He had carried it as a backup to his Kimber .45.

However, it may not be a good tactic for her to allow an obvious perp to get so close, because unless she quickly hits a vital and very painful spot or two on him, the bad guy could still easily use a knife or other weapon on her. JMO.

1A90E4C1-E594-40EE-9730-803D06E91CF6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Good choice with the Airweight. 
Bought mine from a Texas detective about 30 years ago. He had carried it as a backup to his Kimber .45.

However, it may not be a good tactic for her to allow an obvious perp to get so close, because unless she quickly hits a vital and very painful spot or two on him, the bad guy could still easily use a knife or other weapon on her. JMO.

1A90E4C1-E594-40EE-9730-803D06E91CF6.jpeg

My father in law was a retired police captain in Fort Worth. He said they were trained that if a suspect got within 15-18' of you, they could charge you and stab you before you could pull your weapon. Lots of Youtube police training videos can demonstrate this. He told me that once a guy got within 6' feet of him holding a knife. He realized that he could shoot the guy if he charged but that he was going to get stabbed. Luckily the guy didn't want to die and put down the knife. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife (43, 5’2”, no pics) had a Bersa Thunder .380 with a laser grip for a while. It was what we settled on after some full size S$W .38 revolvers, Ruger pocket revolvers, and some other options. The bersa was hers for years but was so lightweight, the snappy nature annoyed her. Range trips were short.

I brought home a Glock g48 9mm for myself.

At our next range trip, she tried the Glock. She was able to rack the slide easier than the bersa. The snap was easier. She was able to get a comfortable grip, better than any of my other pistols.

The Glock is now hers.

Everyone has their best option. Rent, rent, rent. Then buy. It’s cheaper.

11 minutes ago, GottaB said:

My wife (43, 5’2”, no pics) had a Bersa Thunder .380 with a laser grip for a while. It was what we settled on after some full size S$W .38 revolvers, Ruger pocket revolvers, and some other options. The bersa was hers for years but was so lightweight, the snappy nature annoyed her. Range trips were short.

I brought home a Glock g48 9mm for myself.

At our next range trip, she tried the Glock. She was able to rack the slide easier than the bersa. The snap was easier. She was able to get a comfortable grip, better than any of my other pistols.

The Glock is now hers.

Everyone has their best option. Rent, rent, rent. Then buy. It’s cheaper.

Buy once, cry once.  The Bersa Thunder is an interesting pistol for me. It's way too snappy and uncomfortable for me, and yet for some reason I shoot it exceptionally well.  

36 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

I'm kinda wanting one of these in a carbine. Anyone have any experience with them? CZ Bren 2 Ms

20e_CZBren2Ms_556_14inch_L-1.png

It looks cool and all but shouldn't a Bren have the magazine on top?  

*  Yes, I am aware that the Brits bastardized Brno when they made the Bren light machine gun.

I've been thinking about getting the wife some lessons on handling a handgun of her choosing so she's more comfortable.  She shot rifles/shotguns as a kid in Western Kansas for hunting purposes, but not a round fired in 30 years likely.  I have a membership at the Range in Austin and thought she should try a few out first before we settle on something we can purchase she feels comfortable with, and then attach the appropriate identification/security protocols I have on mine.  I know where we should start in terms of caliber now.  She's strong and athletic, but in 5 years time...she'll be middle-aged and maybe not as bold as she is now.  And it'd be nice to get something American made like a Glock or similar.  That we can have for a 15 years or so until kids are outta the house and we downsize out into the country.  

If you want some recs from your resident gun guy let me know.
  • Like 1

We just started talking about it for the first time in decades.  I have to start traveling a bunch for work again so I think that led to the discussion.  She's unable to access the one I own, even in an emergency (long story, it was a weird gift that I'm still trying to figure out).  As I said, she's been around hunting rifles and shotguns but really nothing else.  We live in an obscenely safe area but we still get the occasional homeless person wandering into backyards and sometimes the daytime workers (who are perfectly safe) will tip off a friend to come back later and raid a garage or vehicle parked on street.  Nothing worth her getting into a firefight over.  She's always been of the school of thought, somebody wants anything besides your children...fuck it...let 'em have it. We can wreak havoc on them later in a non-violent way.  

But here are the goofball conditions that are above model/caliber on our punchlist:

1.  This is where it gets overly-personal.  She has very large hands.  Not like man-hands on Seinfeld, but long fingers and palm.  Makes my dick look tiny.  But in all seriousness, at 5'9" with the hand-reach of a 6'0" person, the usual "lady grip" or whatever y'all call it may not work for her.  Obviously we gotta hit the range and see what's-what but the few we've seriously looked at are comically small for her comfort and hand level.  

2.  Being able to really secure it is paramount.  I'm starting to come around on a revolver style instead.  After she gets comfy with the balance difference, could be the way to go for safety.  I mean preventing accidental discharge (that's what she said), not just locking it up at night.  She's calm as fuck under pressure, I think she could get three rounds in the dark before her heartrate went up 3bpm.  So maybe that's something to look more seriously at. 

3.  She was an all-state athlete, competed in KSU intercollegiate club sports.  Very coordinated and athletic but in the last year or so has really started to experience marked decline in strength and coordination (we're in our mid-to-late 40's).  I thik maybe that's part of what we're even considering another weapon.  Not that she was gonna overpower a break-in or rapist, but she's the kinda gal who can sense trouble, get the kids outta the house quietly, grab the bug-out bag and be down the street with cops on the way before anybody knew anything about it.  Now she moves slower and noisier so kick-back and ease of use are paramount as well.  She's sore now after picking up our little one so psychologically, if 10 minutes or range time put a serious ache on her off-side, she'll develop animosity for the gun and avoid further training.  Which is understandable.  I don't go in for additional hernia tests beyond the usual 6 per week I'm already enjoying.  I mean, doing.  

After all that is said and done, open to advice on models.  Ha.   

We just started talking about it for the first time in decades.  I have to start traveling a bunch for work again so I think that led to the discussion.  She's unable to access the one I own, even in an emergency (long story, it was a weird gift that I'm still trying to figure out).  As I said, she's been around hunting rifles and shotguns but really nothing else.  We live in an obscenely safe area but we still get the occasional homeless person wandering into backyards and sometimes the daytime workers (who are perfectly safe) will tip off a friend to come back later and raid a garage or vehicle parked on street.  Nothing worth her getting into a firefight over.  She's always been of the school of thought, somebody wants anything besides your children...fuck it...let 'em have it. We can wreak havoc on them later in a non-violent way.  
But here are the goofball conditions that are above model/caliber on our punchlist:
1.  This is where it gets overly-personal.  She has very large hands.  Not like man-hands on Seinfeld, but long fingers and palm.  Makes my dick look tiny.  But in all seriousness, at 5'9" with the hand-reach of a 6'0" person, the usual "lady grip" or whatever y'all call it may not work for her.  Obviously we gotta hit the range and see what's-what but the few we've seriously looked at are comically small for her comfort and hand level.  
2.  Being able to really secure it is paramount.  I'm starting to come around on a revolver style instead.  After she gets comfy with the balance difference, could be the way to go for safety.  I mean preventing accidental discharge (that's what she said), not just locking it up at night.  She's calm as fuck under pressure, I think she could get three rounds in the dark before her heartrate went up 3bpm.  So maybe that's something to look more seriously at. 
3.  She was an all-state athlete, competed in KSU intercollegiate club sports.  Very coordinated and athletic but in the last year or so has really started to experience marked decline in strength and coordination (we're in our mid-to-late 40's).  I thik maybe that's part of what we're even considering another weapon.  Not that she was gonna overpower a break-in or rapist, but she's the kinda gal who can sense trouble, get the kids outta the house quietly, grab the bug-out bag and be down the street with cops on the way before anybody knew anything about it.  Now she moves slower and noisier so kick-back and ease of use are paramount as well.  She's sore now after picking up our little one so psychologically, if 10 minutes or range time put a serious ache on her off-side, she'll develop animosity for the gun and avoid further training.  Which is understandable.  I don't go in for additional hernia tests beyond the usual 6 per week I'm already enjoying.  I mean, doing.  
After all that is said and done, open to advice on models.  Ha.   

I don’t like revolvers for women shooting handguns for the first time

Id buy her a tx-22 and tell her to put 1500 rounds through it with an instructor while you stay home

Then let her go to a gun store and noodle 9mm pistols until she finds one she likes that costs at least $550.

Ive helped this customer 100+ times. This almost always works.

I still shoot 22 pistols as a training tool.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Thanks.  I like that the Taurus is drop-safe.  Certainly worth a look and see how it feels in her hands.  I think the grip should work, just seemed short to me the few times I've shot one, but while her hands are big they aren't particularly "grippy"  Anything else to look out for on the tx-22 line?  No problem staying at home while she gets comfy at the Range.  Probabl a good jumping off point.  And yeah, I didn't like the idea of a revolver at first, just some compelling comments upthread.  Maybe we'll mix that in down the road just for practice, but the commitment to a purchase only makes sense if she's totally comfortable with it.  We're not gonna be a shooting couple for sport or anything and she doesn't even go hunting with us when we go back to her family's.  But her other concern has been this bone pain/pre-osteo thing in her upper left (non-shooting hand) chest like between shoulder and collar bone and almost down to top of rib cage.  She's getting treatment for it, and who knows-maybe that's why she's psychologically thinking about a firearm to defend her cubs.  But I also know a painful mag or two at the range and she'll politely put it down, walk out and not talk about it for a couple years.  But she's got the balance and coordination and can control her heart and breathing like a fucking sniper.  But then, getting old's a bitch too.  

On 9/26/2023 at 7:40 AM, Crapinon said:

My father in law was a retired police captain in Fort Worth. He said they were trained that if a suspect got within 15-18' of you,

Yep, that stems from an old FBI study called the "21 ft rule"

It's since been disproven, but only with significant training and practice - the average citizen, it's 100% applicable

Thus, the exercise suggested, within a 21-foot radius an officer might not have time to draw and successfully defend himself against a charging subject with lethal intent and deadly means before the attacker is on him.

16 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

I'm not sure that's true. The 42 is ONLY made in America due to importation issues but I think Glock makes a bunch of their firearms in Austria and America. 

Dunno. I’m not a handgun guy. I didn’t know any glocks were made here. That’s just what the first Google search said.  I didn’t dig. 

17 hours ago, YGIFS said:

After all that is said and done, open to advice on models. 

I will make you an amazing deal on lightly customized Glock 44. She will love it.

14 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Id buy her a tx-22

You keep recommending this gun and I need to shoot one. I jimmied with my Glock 44 and it's improved somewhat, but it still sucks and I still hate it.

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Decent Deals (Cursory look only - not vouching for the weapons)

Beretta APX-A1    Beretta APX-A1  (There's a rebate too, making net @ $190)

PSA Dagger PSA Dagger / Threaded FDE

PSA also has really good deals on the CZ-75 for $599 with either the thumb safety or decocker, and $529 for the 75 Compact.  I've shot the decocker model and it's outstanding. 

24 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Dunno. I’m not a handgun guy. I didn’t know any glocks were made here. That’s just what the first Google search said.  I didn’t dig. 

I think the G19 is made in the Georgia factory, or at least mine was. 

Yeah, I don't know the sales breakdown in the U.S.  But Glock is an Austrian company from the word "Gehen"  There are some made here and in South America, but it's an Austrian company.  Crude comparison would be there are Toyotas made in the United States, and it is a robust American employer, but Toyota is not remotely an American company.  I'm sure there's plenty of Glock owners on here with U.S. made models, but I would never in a 1000 years consider Glock to be an American company.  which is cool by me.  Austria only makes a handful of things.  But what they do make, they make exceptionally well.  

Looking for input and thoughts on some full size 9mm striker fired guns.   I've been doing some shooting at a few ranges that have rentals near me.    I realize the list is all over the place as far as looks but generally they are all about the same overall size.  This is going to be a range gun/home defense and I'm not a CCW guy so full size it is.  I'm looking at a price range of between $500ish and $700ish and am not a huge fan of guns in FDE or other colors besides black.   

Canik Mete SFX or TP9 SFX.   I've shot the TP9 but not the Mete yet.   The trigger is nice (I mean, they did borrow/steal/whatever it from Walther).   Canik seems to have their shit together but a little part of me that worries about overall builld quality.   Canik has some funky color combos and styles but the SFX model can be found in a solid black.  I'm going to try and shoot the Mete tomorrow or Friday but it might be the SF smaller barrel version.

Glock 17 or 34.   The 17 is probably the smoothest overall on a recoil basis and obviously you can't go wrong with a Glock.   I like the 34 a lot too but it's pricier and kicks a but more (duh, right?)   The 17 has a small factory slide release and it wouldn't be all that difficult to swap it out for one more like the G34.   

Sig 320 M17/320 Nitron.    I have shot the M17 and a shorter (3.9" barrel) carry version of the Nitron.  The M17 was nice but I don't care for the coyote brown color scheme which is why the Nitron is on the list.  I understand why the military wanted the CB color but a black version would still make sense.   Is the drop discharge issue overblown?   What about the accidental discharges while holstered?

S&W M&P 2.0.  This was a late addition to the list after I shot one yesterday.   It was pretty smooth and overall a nice gun.   I don't need the Performance Center add-ons so I am looking at just the normal 2.0.

Springfield Echelon.  The Echelon was the first one I fired and have shot it a couple of times since.  It's a good overall gun and I like the ambidextrous nature of the gun.  The slide cuts are aggressive and very nice to use.  I don't care that Springfield is just putting their name on a HS Produkt gun but I am a little leery about a platform that has only been on the market for about 3 months.   

Walther PDP.  I have shot the 4" version of this a few times but would probably end up with the 4.5" or 5" if this is what I buy.  The trigger on this is very nice and it also has aggressive slide cuts.   I really like the slide release size/style on the Walther and they are also ambi.   

Priced low to high these fall (sort of) in this order at stores around me:

$525-575:  The Caniks, P320 Nitron, G17

$600- $650:  M&P, Echelon, PDP, M17

$700:  G34

I have shot a few others (FN 509, Walther PPQ, HK V9, Canik TPS Elite) that were just too small over all.   I'm not in a huge hurry to buy and will continue to shoot these models over the next few weeks.   If I had to put a top 3 on paper right now it would be the PDP, Echelon and G34.  

I'm interested in what others have to say about the guns I listed above.  

Walther PDP.     
Walther PDP Full 5"

Looking for input and thoughts on some full size 9mm striker fired guns.   I've been doing some shooting at a few ranges that have rentals near me.    I realize the list is all over the place as far as looks but generally they are all about the same overall size.  This is going to be a range gun/home defense and I'm not a CCW guy so full size it is.  I'm looking at a price range of between $500ish and $700ish and am not a huge fan of guns in FDE or other colors besides black.   
Canik Mete SFX or TP9 SFX.   I've shot the TP9 but not the Mete yet.   The trigger is nice (I mean, they did borrow/steal/whatever it from Walther).   Canik seems to have their shit together but a little part of me that worries about overall builld quality.   Canik has some funky color combos and styles but the SFX model can be found in a solid black.  I'm going to try and shoot the Mete tomorrow or Friday but it might be the SF smaller barrel version.
Glock 17 or 34.   The 17 is probably the smoothest overall on a recoil basis and obviously you can't go wrong with a Glock.   I like the 34 a lot too but it's pricier and kicks a but more (duh, right?)   The 17 has a small factory slide release and it wouldn't be all that difficult to swap it out for one more like the G34.   
Sig 320 M17/320 Nitron.    I have shot the M17 and a shorter (3.9" barrel) carry version of the Nitron.  The M17 was nice but I don't care for the coyote brown color scheme which is why the Nitron is on the list.  I understand why the military wanted the CB color but a black version would still make sense.   Is the drop discharge issue overblown?   What about the accidental discharges while holstered?
S&W M&P 2.0.  This was a late addition to the list after I shot one yesterday.   It was pretty smooth and overall a nice gun.   I don't need the Performance Center add-ons so I am looking at just the normal 2.0.
Springfield Echelon.  The Echelon was the first one I fired and have shot it a couple of times since.  It's a good overall gun and I like the ambidextrous nature of the gun.  The slide cuts are aggressive and very nice to use.  I don't care that Springfield is just putting their name on a HS Produkt gun but I am a little leery about a platform that has only been on the market for about 3 months.   
Walther PDP.  I have shot the 4" version of this a few times but would probably end up with the 4.5" or 5" if this is what I buy.  The trigger on this is very nice and it also has aggressive slide cuts.   I really like the slide release size/style on the Walther and they are also ambi.   
Priced low to high these fall (sort of) in this order at stores around me:
$525-575:  The Caniks, P320 Nitron, G17
$600- $650:  M&P, Echelon, PDP, M17
$700:  G34
I have shot a few others (FN 509, Walther PPQ, HK V9, Canik TPS Elite) that were just too small over all.   I'm not in a huge hurry to buy and will continue to shoot these models over the next few weeks.   If I had to put a top 3 on paper right now it would be the PDP, Echelon and G34.  
I'm interested in what others have to say about the guns I listed above.  

Walther PDP.     
Walther PDP Full 5"

Lots to unpack here but I’ll go in order

Canik - I don’t like them but I have no beef with their build quality or reliability. It is a proven platform. I would buy the mete sft pro but you would prefer the mete sfx pro.

Glock - go 47 here. 34 has the 19m slide lock that you like but you can get that aftermarket.

320’s- I hate the M series and I hate the egg grip. Go x grip all day. I worked with a guy in Ohio at an event last month that got shot in the leg running a course 8 months ago. I don’t trust them.

M&P - great guns.

Echelon - new. They’re ok. I’d pass for now.

PDP - all day. Fucking great. Slide serrations chew my fingers up but they shoot straight and are hyper reliable.

509 - trigger sucks. FN can’t sell these guns right now. Hard pass.

PPQ - Pass

VP9 - I have 5. You do the math.

Try a p30L.

You’ve got a pretty good list there. No 1911?

All the pistols I sell now are 2k and up - but I’ve sold ALOT of these guns.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

What’s your favorite of these? Been on a long term “borrowing” of a Staccato P from my brother.  Have really enjoyed it and probably going to have to break down and do something there. Also kept a C2 of his for a bit but sort of favored the P.  Which is odd because I typically trend towards the smaller frame.   I also need to check the 1911 box at some point.    But get lost between the customs on those and haven’t studied them in years. 

9 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Lots to unpack here but I’ll go in order

Canik - I don’t like them but I have no beef with their build quality or reliability. It is a proven platform. I would buy the mete sft pro but you would prefer the mete sfx pro.

Glock - go 47 here. 34 has the 19m slide lock that you like but you can get that aftermarket.

320’s- I hate the M series and I hate the egg grip. Go x grip all day. I worked with a guy in Ohio at an event last month that got shot in the leg running a course 8 months ago. I don’t trust them.

M&P - great guns.

Echelon - new. They’re ok. I’d pass for now.

PDP - all day. Fucking great. Slide serrations chew my fingers up but they shoot straight and are hyper reliable.

509 - trigger sucks. FN can’t sell these guns right now. Hard pass.

PPQ - Pass

VP9 - I have 5. You do the math.

Try a p30L.

You’ve got a pretty good list there. No 1911?

Thoughts on your thoughts...

Canik -   Yep, I like but don't love them.   It's probably the price point that is sticking with me and why they are in the running.  If these were priced $200-$300 higher they would not make the cut.

Glock - You keep pimping the G47.   Do you own stock in Glock or something?  I kid.

Sig - These are in the second tier of what the group I like and the two kinds of discharge issues (drops and going off in a holster) do give me pause.

M&P - Like I said, this is a late addition to the "like" list so I need to shoot it some more and see if it gets bumped up.

Echelon - This one and the Caniks both make me just a little leery until they are around longer.   I like the look and feel but the newness of the model is definitely something to think about.

PDP - It's probably the frontrunner.

All of the others are out of the running (FN 509, Walther PPQ, HK V9, Canik TPS Elite.)   The ones I shot were all smallish in size.  Besides, the PPQ is now outdated by the PDP and the others have price points for full sized above what I'm looking at.   The P30L is out for now since I am focusing on striker fired.   The 1911 is out for the same reason plus mag size.   And when I do get one, it will be in 45 ACP.

• Like 1

What’s your favorite of these? Been on a long term “borrowing” of a Staccato P from my brother.  Have really enjoyed it and probably going to have to break down and do something there. Also kept a C2 of his for a bit but sort of favored the P.  Which is odd because I typically trend towards the smaller frame.   I also need to check the 1911 box at some point.    But get lost between the customs on those and haven’t studied them in years. 

P/Cs/or/dlc/dlc/non threaded
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I also need to check the 1911 box at some point.    But get lost between the customs on those and haven’t studied them in years. 

1911s will suck you in and ruin you on every other pistol platform.  Even on the lower-mid tier options, you won't find a better trigger and ease of shooting.  The weight/heft and trigger make them so easy to shoot well.  

My first pistol was a Sig 1911 and to this day, I shoot this better than anything else I own.  As is the case with everything, it depends upon your budget.  If I was looking at $1K+, my first choice would be Dan Wesson or Colt Gold Cup.  Beyond that you have all the big boys:  Nighthawk, Wilson, Les Baer, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Glock - You keep pimping the G47.   Do you own stock in Glock or something?  I kid.

He recommended it to me and he was right. If you want a 17, you actually want a 47. 

19 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

1911s will suck you in and ruin you on every other pistol platform.

Eh, I get it, I really do, but (approaches third rail ever so gently) to me the 1911 takes you in a straight line to a CZ-75 or a CZ-97 if you want a .45.