The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 12/30/2023 at 8:25 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

So there’s a troublesome rogue coyote in my neighborhood and it has killed a lot of cats. 
Let’s say, purely conjecture, that someone was to set up a one-shot kill from 75 yards on the SOB. What would be the best and most ethical round to attempt such a thing in a dense urban environment? 

Assume pre-dawn timing. Looking for pros/cons of:

.22lr suppressed 

.17HMR suppressed

5.7X28 carbine surpressed 

.223 Rem

imperatives include:

1) quick, ethical kill

2) avoiding a disturbance 

To be clear, this is a purely speculative scenario 

can I borrow this coyote? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/6/2024 at 11:54 AM, fattyflattie said:

Agreed.  I used to have manage a group of young engineers (most were kind of weird and nerdy, gamer types).  Very smart, kind kids.  One day one overhears me talking to another guy about hunting, and we get to talking guns.  Turns out, a bunch of them were big AR guys.  They would tinker with them over and over, changing them up, etc.  But the more I spoke with them, they didn't really even enjoy shooting. Not a single one hunted, no one shot clays, none of them grew up in families that had firearms or hunted.  They just loved the mechanics of, in particular, the AR, and having something in the house made them feel safer.  Was very eye opening, and they didn't have a clue when I was telling me about all the pre-64's I had been stacking away, or why I was trying to score this awesome old Superposed.    They didn't have a clue those even existed. They were bored with the lack of moving parts in my bolt guns.  A Ruger 1 would of mind melted them.  An entire generation of kids that were in diapers when the AWB sunsetted. 

I'm going to follow up with a curious and lesser know aspect of the gun culture. I'm a competitive shooter, IDPA and 3 gun type stuff as well as a person who's gone to multiple 3 days tactical training sessions.

The shooting/gun advocate cross section in both those worlds (which are pretty similar) is an amazing cross section. The female uptick in the past 15 years has been HUGE. Further, I'll see current LEOs (which used to be the rarest oddly) to tech guys in 911s, females from all walks of life, pretty much ever race profile, to florist, EMTs, doctors (a surprising number), dentist and your big truck guys and gals.

Most aren't big drinkers many don't at all, you have to be financially at least okay due to cost of gear, hotels and classes. All of them are extremely safety first oriented and most don't care about the skin color or sex of the person next to them.

As someone who also rides it reminds me of that "fraternity". Granted, there are some divisions in both of the Harley riders vs rice burner nuance, but that's rare. Mostly it's just a like minded group that advocates for gun rights, gun safety and good gun skills.

What's odd to me is I don't see many here or anywhere talk about the second amendment foundation which is and has been much more in line with my 2nd amendment pursuits/wants/concerns that the NRA has been for decades.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

As someone who also rides it reminds me of that "fraternity". Granted, there are some divisions in both of the Harley riders vs rice burner nuance, but that's rare. Mostly it's just a like minded group that advocates for gun rights, gun safety and good gun skills.

What's odd to me is I don't see many here or anywhere talk about the second amendment foundation which is and has been much more in line with my 2nd amendment pursuits/wants/concerns that the NRA has been for decades.

Indeed. I think the NRA is solely operated in terms of its own corporate interest and self perpetuation, not gun owners or rights, let alone safety. 

For example- I appreciate that the SAF does actual meaningful work through affiliates on suicide prevention. 

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

1 minute ago, deft said:

King cobra talk not going away
21774e0fad42c89fef8c2aa03c8811c5.jpg

More King Cobra content plz

• Like 1

Picked that up for $375 cash in a ftf deal at some fun show in Dallas about 18 years ago as a present for the wife. Someone had done trigger work on it; somewhere around 1.5# on single pull. It’s a tack driver.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, deft said:

Picked that up for $375 cash in a ftf deal at some fun show in Dallas about 18 years ago as a present for the wife. Someone had done trigger work on it; somewhere around 1.5# on single pull. It’s a tack driver.

Applied your username…. Nice going.

46 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Anyone still carry a revolver for concealed carry?

I carry a 460 S&W up in Alaska, but that’s open for bear protection. I find them annoying for concealed when there’s always an easier to conceal and reload semi auto option.  You’re definitely not going to find an auto throwing out this kind of knock down power.  

IMG_0482.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, USCATX said:

I carry a 460 S&W up in Alaska, but that’s open for bear protection. I find them annoying for concealed when there’s always an easier to conceal and reload semi auto option.  You’re definitely not going to find an auto throwing out this kind of knock down power.  

IMG_0482.jpeg

I need an excuse to get a big boy revolver... how often do you go to Alaska?

29 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

I need an excuse to get a big boy revolver... how often do you go to Alaska?

2-3 times per year.  The X-frames aren’t really that bad to shoot, probably even more comfortable than a Model 29 44 mag with classic wood stocks.  But will sure as hell put a smile on your face every time.   And if you get tired of the muzzle blast and expense of shooting 460 mag you can plink away with 45 lc at 1/5 the price. 

15 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I carry a SAA replica in .357 with a three inch barrel and a bird's head grip. It conceals well enough under a long shirt, and points more naturally than any auto I have. 

I could tote this .327 single Seven 7-shooter for fun, but will stick will my tiny LCP Max,,,,

284A6443-CDF1-4EB8-93A9-DECB3EACCA0C.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

Acquired a new Remington 700 tactical 300 blackout with a threaded barrel with my Silencerco Omega 300.  (Stock image below).  Holy shit I love shooting this gun.  And with the right loads it is plenty to take out a deer.  Feels like I am shooting a 22.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Acquired a new Remington 700 tactical 300 blackout with a threaded barrel with my Silencerco Omega 300.  (Stock image below).  Holy shit I love shooting this gun.  And with the right loads it is plenty to take out a deer.  Feels like I am shooting a 22.
32580-DEFAULT-l.jpg

I wanted the aac-SD in .308 when they came out. Never got one. I may wind up with a 300blk bolt at some point.
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

spacer.png

I use the ruger version of that setup for my daughter.  Been thinking about getting a model 7 done up for her in the same way but with a custom stock, and passing the ruger down to the next one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I use the ruger version of that setup for my daughter.  Been thinking about getting a model 7 done up for her in the same way but with a custom stock, and passing the ruger down to the next one. 

I am thinking about getting another.  Because my kids are getting old enough to hunt by themselves, and we all like shooting this caliber.

This is 4 shots on ranch range at 100 yards.  First two on right and then two on left after slight windage adjustment.  Tack driver.

range.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

I have the Ruger Ranch rifle in 300BO.  Damn near Hollywood quiet with subs.

One of my leasemates had one with a can. Daughter (9 at time) shot it a few times and liked it way better than AR so I got one.  I grab it all the time now.  It’s quite a bit different than what I typically use, but been a cool little rifle for the price point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

One of my leasemates had one with a can. Daughter (9 at time) shot it a few times and liked it way better than AR so I got one.  I grab it all the time now.  It’s quite a bit different than what I typically use, but been a cool little rifle for the price point. 

Friend of mine's kid took this smaller buck at our place years back with a .300BK with a can.  With subs the receiver is the loudest part of the process and the impact of the rounds.  Great for hunting in a blind where you can talk the shooter through the steps without ear protection.

image.png.7badce23709b3fa92bade67ec81c816e.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

300 BLK with subs is very cool, but I don't like leaving anything on the table when I am shooting a sizable creature.  I've shot one hog with a sub and dropped him dead with a headshot, but I prefer to use supers when hunting.  Shooting 300 Blk supers without earpro is still not that bad.  Hell, I hunt with my 308 suppressed and don't wear ear pro.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

E-file guys are getting them in 90-ish days right now.

That’s the last thing my checkbook needed to hear after yesterday which brings me to this question. What is this black thing forward of the side charging handle?

IMG_8520.png

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

E-file guys are getting them in 90-ish days right now. 

You have any supporting evidence for that statement?  The Reddit approval thread I frequent seems to average about 180 days for so.

You have any supporting evidence for that statement?  The Reddit approval thread I frequent seems to average about 180 days for so.

I mean, you quoted the post and in it I specifically said I haven’t sent anything in over 3 years. So what could I possibly have besides word of mouth that you also wouldn’t question? I have friends and know people that buy and sell firearms just like you I’m sure. The ones that I asked said 90-ish days.

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I mean, you quoted the post and in it I specifically said I haven’t sent anything in over 3 years. So what could I possibly have besides word of mouth that you also wouldn’t question? I have friends and know people that buy and sell firearms just like you I’m sure. The ones that I asked said 90-ish days.

Lol. You made a pretty clear statement that they are coming back in 90 days which is bullshit. 

On 1/19/2024 at 3:39 PM, Lat22 said:

That’s the last thing my checkbook needed to hear after yesterday which brings me to this question. What is this black thing forward of the side charging handle?

IMG_8520.png

Replaceable mounting attachment. That one is probably there as a hand stop so you don't clip your finger with the side charging handle or as an anti snag rampy thing. Or maybe it's for a pressure switch. Shit, I really don't know. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/19/2024 at 3:39 PM, Lat22 said:

IMG_8520.png

That looks like a ramp to make sure the charging handle doesn't get caught on anything accidentally. Brush, rope, whatever, will be pushed up and over. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

That looks like a ramp to make sure the charging handle doesn't get caught on anything accidentally. Brush, rope, whatever, will be pushed up and over. 

30 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Replaceable mounting attachment. That one is probably there as a hand stop so you don't clip your finger with the side charging handle or as an anti snag rampy thing. Or maybe it's for a pressure switch. Shit, I really don't know. 

Handcruser told me the same thing.  It makes sense now when I really look at it.  Thanks for the replies.  That thing was driving me crazy.  I can't afford to have that hang up on my plate carrier when I'm out there LARPing against hogs.

Edited by Lat22